- EXCHANGE: Carterville center offers wildlife rehab Updated: Mar-12-14 6:17 am
- Flobots classroom project takes off in Denver Updated: Mar-12-14 1:43 am
- Volunteers help move Illinois petting zoo animals Updated: Mar-11-14 1:32 pm
- Volunteers to clean Bayou Lafourche Updated: Mar-11-14 10:10 am
- Autopsy set on volunteer who fell at Pa. musical Updated: Mar-11-14 8:16 am
- Volunteers still offering help in tornado recovery Updated: Mar-11-14 4:04 am
- Civil War site cleanup day scheduled next month Updated: Mar-10-14 5:05 am
- Students to spend spring break helping Va. park Updated: Mar-10-14 2:08 am
- Charity outreach seeking rural W.Va. volunteers Updated: Mar-10-14 2:08 am
- Volunteers help fill potholes in Waterloo Updated: Mar-09-14 7:31 pm
- Volunteers work on W.Va. trail's last segment Updated: Mar-09-14 3:17 pm
- Volunteers help revamp Cape Verde legal system Updated: Mar-09-14 8:04 am
- Event helps get veterans hooked on fly fishing Updated: Mar-08-14 9:36 am
- Gardiner fire dept has some 'mature' members Updated: Mar-07-14 5:05 pm
- State bar asks for volunteers for pro bono cases Updated: Mar-06-14 5:08 pm
- Indiana churches unite to provide free meals Updated: Mar-05-14 10:14 am
- 800 line set up for volunteer firefighter recruits Updated: Mar-04-14 4:12 am
- Amish workers returning to Catoctin Mountain Park Updated: Mar-03-14 4:49 am
- Volunteers count hundreds of eagles in N. Wyoming Updated: Mar-02-14 3:19 pm
- Franklin County doctor is a healer on wheels Updated: Mar-02-14 10:02 am
- Savannah volunteers to clean up homeless camps Updated: Mar-01-14 7:05 am
- Students don't let cold derail volunteer work Updated: Feb-28-14 1:41 pm
- Maine chiefs discuss dearth of firefighters Updated: Feb-28-14 12:13 pm
- Pa. lawmakers mull emergency responder shortage Updated: Feb-28-14 11:58 am
- Volunteers to count moose in Jackson Hole Updated: Feb-28-14 11:55 am
CARTERVILLE, Illinois - One injured owl changed Beverly Shoftstall's life.
DENVER - The Flobots, a Denver hip-hop band that gained fame with the hit single "Handlebars," are known for social activism and supporting the Occupy Wall Street movement. Drew Elder, a senior vice president of the investment firm Janus, is more familiar with the cello than with Chuck D.
GENEVA, Illinois - Northern Illinois authorities got help from more than 100 volunteers to move dozens of animals from a traveling petting zoo because of neglect.
HOUMA, Louisiana - More than 1,000 people will spend this weekend picking up trash Saturday along Bayou Lafourche, the primary drinking-water source for Terrebonne and Lafourche.
GIBSONIA, Pennsylvania - An autopsy was set on the body of a volunteer who collapsed and fell from some scaffolding while helping to stage a rehearsal for a high school musical near Pittsburgh.
KOKOMO, Indiana - Volunteers in the Kokomo area are trying to get word out that they are still available to help people still trying to recover from two tornadoes and severe storms that hit the city in November.
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Organizers are looking for volunteers to help clean up and restore 10 Civil War sites in Kentucky.
MILLBORO, Virginia - Students from four universities are spending their spring break doing volunteer work at Douthat State Park.
WHEELING, West Virginia - Catholic Charities of West Virginia is seeking volunteers to help serve rural "food deserts" in the state.
WATERLOO, Iowa - The streets of Waterloo are a bit smoother now thanks to the efforts of volunteers who spent part of their weekend filling potholes.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Volunteers are working to complete the last 30 miles of West Virginia's 330-mile Allegheny Trail, a hiking pathway that runs from the West Virginia-Pennsylvania border near Bruceton Mills to a junction with the Appalachian Trail in Monroe County.
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - David Soares was honored to receive the chance to provide service to his country of birth, Cape Verde.
QUANTICO, Virginia - While Doug Rink, a 31-year veteran of the Army and then the Air Force, was recuperating at Walter Reed Medical Center from a grievous road accident that left him with an amputated leg, 10 broken bones in his back, a dislocated shoulder and a traumatic brain injury, he surprised one of his nurses.
PRAY, Montana - The 63-year-old chief of Gardiner's volunteer fire department has this joke with some of his volunteers: You can quit the department when you bring a note from the coroner.
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - The Wyoming State Bar says it's partnering with the Wyoming Center for Legal Aid to get the state's lawyers to commit to at least one pro bono case.
NEW ALBANY, Indiana - Bobbie Baird says it speaks highly of the Floyd County church community that every day of the week, there's a free meal to be had for those in need.
VERSAILLES, Kentucky - The Kentucky Fire Commission has set up an 800 phone line to provide information to prospective volunteer firefighters.
THURMONT, Maryland - The National Park Service says Amish volunteers from Indiana are returning to Catoctin Mountain Park near Thurmont to help restore some cabins dating to the 1930s.
CASPER, Wyoming - Wildlife officials say bald eagle numbers increased and golden eagle numbers decreased slightly during the annual midwinter bald eagle survey in the Powder River Basin.
ROCKY MOUNT, Virginia - The doctor raided the freezer, shoveling ice into a trash bag with his hands. The rescue squad had detected a pulse, reviving a man in cardiac arrest in his home near Smith Mountain Lake.
SAVANNAH, Georgia - Several volunteer groups in Savannah are pitching in to clean up camps where many of the city's homeless residents live.
DUNLAP, Indiana - Four Goshen College students on spring break didn't wake up anywhere near a beach Thursday morning.
HOLLIS, Maine - Maine fire chiefs who met this week to discuss staffing levels in York County didn't have to look back far for an example of how a dearth of volunteers is affecting the region.
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - In 1977, there were 300,000 volunteer firefighters. Today, the number is closer to 50,000.
JACKSON, Wyoming - Saturday is Moose Day in Jackson Hole, when volunteers get together to count moose.