- AP PHOTOS: 4 heroes of the Boston Marathon bombing Updated: Apr-14-14 9:47 pm
- Nebraska governor urges volunteering next week Updated: Apr-14-14 1:42 pm
- NE Ohio officer has knack for calming vicious dogs Updated: Apr-14-14 1:14 pm
- Hanover doctor aids people in the Philippines Updated: Apr-14-14 10:38 am
- Businessman, church key Vincennes cleanup Updated: Apr-13-14 3:37 pm
- Pike County volunteer fire department reopens Updated: Apr-13-14 12:13 pm
- Neb. looks to join states in fighting wildfires Updated: Apr-13-14 11:19 am
- Volunteers give ill boy dream bedroom makeover Updated: Apr-13-14 11:06 am
- Wounded soldier, family ready for next chapter Updated: Apr-13-14 9:43 am
- SE Iowa greenhouse captures industrial heat Updated: Apr-12-14 12:07 pm
- W.Va. food bank board president earns honor Updated: Apr-12-14 9:17 am
- Georgia group aims to restore forgotten cemeteries Updated: Apr-12-14 9:10 am
- Volunteers help FWC build sheds to keep bears out Updated: Apr-12-14 3:05 am
- Tax fraud hits Ore. Catholic workers, volunteers Updated: Apr-12-14 1:59 am
- ND still negotiating purchase of Welk home Updated: Apr-11-14 1:58 pm
- Rouge Rescue cleanup events planned for May 17 Updated: Apr-11-14 9:32 am
- Volunteers sprucing up downtown Spokane Saturday Updated: Apr-11-14 8:58 am
- DNR seeks volunteers for Earth Day projects Updated: Apr-10-14 5:05 am
- Life in prison for teen who killed elderly woman Updated: Apr-09-14 5:04 pm
- Volunteers to patrol north Colorado schools Updated: Apr-09-14 4:04 pm
- Most wild kittens taken to shelters will be killed Updated: Apr-09-14 11:28 am
- Clinton River group holding volunteer training Updated: Apr-09-14 4:04 am
- Oregon County considers volunteer CSIs Updated: Apr-08-14 12:49 pm
- One-stop resource fair for veterans in Colorado Updated: Apr-08-14 8:58 am
- MPCA seeks volunteer water monitors Updated: Apr-08-14 5:06 am
An EMT. A volunteer. A spectator in a cowboy hat.
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Gov. Dave Heineman is encouraging all Nebraskans to volunteer next week.
LORAIN, Ohio - The dog whisperer carries a pistol, but rarely uses it.
HANOVER, Pennsylvania - From Hanover to the Philippines, Jess Socrates has devoted his life to helping others.
VINCENNES, Indiana - The city is about to get a lot cleaner.
Belfry, Kentucky - A volunteer fire department in Pike County that was forced to close has reopened.
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska is on the cusp of joining forces with Colorado, Wyoming and the Dakotas to help fight rural wildfires.
GREENWICH, Connecticut - Seven-year-old Zach Libow excitedly ran up and down the stairs at his Crescent Road home on a recent Saturday, checking on the progress of his new bedroom.
GUNTERSVILLE, Alabama - Corey Garmon has a lot to celebrate as he gets ready to begin a new chapter in his life.
FAIRFIELD, Iowa - Minutes after train cars loaded with coal roll by, Jan Swinton admits this rough industrial park on Fairfield's north side is hardly where you'd expect to find the beginnings of a lush vegetable garden that will help feed the area's 1,700 schoolchildren.
HUNTINGTON, West Virginia - Debra Johnson-Tourigny is used to making things happen.
GAINESVILLE, Georgia - A temporary, handwritten sign marks the site of the small cemetery. It reads "New Bethel Church, Strickland Cemetery."
NAPLES, Florida - Volunteers are helping state wildlife officials build trash can sheds that bears can't get into.
PORTLAND, Oregon - The Catholic Archdiocese of Portland says at least 100 current and former employees and volunteers of the archdiocese and affiliated churches and schools have had their Social Security numbers used to file fraudulent 2013 tax returns.
BISMARCK, North Dakota - The state Historical Society is still negotiating the purchase price of the boyhood home of famous band leader Lawrence Welk, three months after the group decided North Dakota taxpayers should own it.
DEARBORN, Michigan - A nonprofit dedicated to restoring the Rouge River in southeastern Michigan is holding its spring cleanup earlier than usual this year.
SPOKANE, Washington - About 400 volunteers are ready to spruce up downtown Spokane on Saturday for a second annual spring cleaning program.
MADISON, Wisconsin - The state Department of Natural Resources is looking for volunteers to help repair and enhance state properties as part of a three-day Earth Day celebration.
WILLMAR, Minnesota - A 19-year-old man tearfully apologized Wednesday as he was sentenced to life in prison without parole for robbing and killing his friend's grandmother in western Minnesota last summer.
FORT COLLINS, Colorado - Volunteer reserve sheriff's deputies will begin patrolling elementary schools in Larimer County starting in late April.
LOS ANGELES - Wild kittens that will number in the tens of millions this year are starting to be born, but half of them won't survive, an especially acute problem at overtaxed shelters forced to euthanize the millions they receive. It's a grim reality a leading advocate calls "one of the last major problems" plaguing the animal welfare movement.
ROCHESTER HILLS, Michigan - A nonprofit group dedicated to protecting the Clinton River in southeastern Michigan is set to hold a volunteer training session for its Adopt-A-Stream program.
GRANTS PASS, Oregon - The Josephine County Sheriff's Office is understaffed and desperate for help, so they're mulling whether to turn to local volunteers to help process crime scenes.
DENVER - Veterans will be able to get legal assistance, benefit information, tips on job-hunting and housing help in one stop at an event hosted by Volunteers of America.
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency is recruiting volunteers to help track water quality changes in lakes and streams across the state.