- Treasure hunter's disappearance still a mystery after months Updated: May-06-16 6:19 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Fixated on computer screens and video monitors, an army of volunteers scattered across the country has been painstakingly reviewing hundreds of images and hours of footage recorded over the last four months, desperately hoping to find a single clue to the whereabouts of missing treasure hunter Randy Bilyeu.
- Vermont volunteer firefighter dies following heart attack Updated: May-06-16 5:55 am
GEORGIA, Vermont - A volunteer firefighter has died from complications after he suffered a heart attack while battling a brush fire in the northwest Vermont town last week.
- Volunteers sought to clean up Cumberland Falls Updated: May-06-16 1:01 am
CORBIN, Kentucky - Officials are seeking volunteers to help clean up around Cumberland Falls State Resort Park in southern Kentucky.
- Syria's volunteer sappers improvise mine-clearing methods Updated: May-04-16 2:10 am
BEIRUT - Volunteers in opposition-held areas of Syria are forced to improvise as they carry out one of the world's most dangerous tasks: dismantling cluster munitions, land mines and explosive booby-traps as they work to make battle-torn areas safe for civilians to return.
- B-29 'Doc' a step closer to airworthiness certificate Updated: May-03-16 8:23 am
WICHITA, Kansas - A World War II bomber is moving closer to achieving its Federal Aviation Administration airworthiness certificate.
- Cherokee Nation donating $455k to volunteer firefighters Updated: May-02-16 6:34 pm
TAHLEQUAH, Oklahoma - The Cherokee Nation is donating $455,000 to firefighters in 130 volunteer and rural departments throughout northeastern Oklahoma.
- Citizen-scientists to help swimmers ID bacteria-filled lakes Updated: May-02-16 12:21 pm
MEDFORD, Oregon - A small army of citizen-scientists will help Rogue Valley residents learn whether the creek or swimming hole they hit this summer is a good place to cool off or might be a staph infection in the making.
- In Easton, it takes a village to build a community Updated: May-02-16 11:09 am
EASTON, Pennsylvania - A resident of Easton's historic College Hill for nearly 30 years, Mary Liz Colley, at 70, is starting to think about how she will continue to stay in the home where she raised two sons and the neighborhood where she enjoys walking quiet, tree-lined streets.
- Study says Massachusetts farmers lack succession plan Updated: May-02-16 9:35 am
LEOMINSTER, Massachusetts - Bill Broderick's family has owned Sunny Crest Orchards in Sterling for almost 150 years.
- Sioux City volunteers install more than 600 smoke detectors Updated: May-02-16 9:01 am
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - Organizers say volunteers installed more than 600 smoke detectors in Sioux City homes during a fire safety blitz.
- Things to know about a gap year, when students take time off Updated: May-01-16 7:01 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama's daughter Malia is taking a year off after graduating from high school before attending Harvard University as part of an expanding program for students known as a "gap year."
- Volunteer firefighter dies battling North Carolina blaze Updated: May-01-16 6:34 pm
PINEVILLE, North Carolina - Authorities say a 20-year-old volunteer firefighter has died after battling a blaze in the Pineville area outside Charlotte.
- 1886 northeastern Indiana volunteer fire bell restored Updated: May-01-16 6:14 pm
ALBION, Indiana - A 130-year-old bell used to summon volunteer firefighters in northeastern Indiana has been restored.
- Volunteers prepare for high-altitude rescues Updated: May-01-16 1:43 pm
EAGLE, Colorado - Hundreds of search and rescue volunteers are getting their training at the High-Altitude Army National Guard Aviation Training Site this year, gearing up for the busy summer season for search and rescue crews that cranks up between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
- Christmas CD, medical bracelets, more found in beach cleanup Updated: Apr-30-16 4:35 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A Christmas songs CD, medical bracelets and a golf ball are some of the items that volunteers found after sweeping across dozens of Jersey shore beaches as part of an environmental group's cleanup program.
- Fargo looking for volunteers to help during Cleanup Week Updated: Apr-30-16 11:22 am
FARGO, North Dakota - Fargo is looking for volunteers to help spruce up the community by picking up litter in residential neighborhoods and public spaces.
- Volunteer fire assistance program grants to open soon Updated: Apr-29-16 7:15 pm
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - The South Dakota Department of Agriculture says it will soon be looking for grant applications for the Volunteer Fire Assistance program.
- Danes face smuggling charges for giving migrants a lift Updated: Apr-27-16 6:14 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Already under fire for ordering police to seize jewelry from asylum-seekers, Denmark is seeing its humanitarian credentials once again being questioned as it presses smuggling charges against people who gave migrants a ride to neighboring Sweden.
- Colorado Editorial Roundup Updated: Apr-27-16 5:25 am
The Aurora Sentinel, April 20, on Colorado schools having Native American mascots and names:
- Effects of hunger relieved by efforts of volunteers Updated: Apr-27-16 5:05 am
RICHMOND, Indiana - Second-grade teacher Jana Angelucci sees the effects of hunger on her students.
- Volunteer firefighter accused of arson in northern Illinois Updated: Apr-26-16 11:58 am
FREEPORT, Illinois - A 20-year-old volunteer firefighter is accused of setting several fires in northern Illinois.
- Horse rescues draw attention in deadly Houston-area storms Updated: Apr-26-16 11:51 am
HOUSTON - Darolyn Butler spent about 18 hours in and out of the swirling floodwaters of Cypress Creek last Monday, April 18, trying to rescue 75 drowning horses in her care.
- UVM lab hosts volunteers assisting in Ecuador relief effort Updated: Apr-26-16 4:44 am
BURLINGTON, Vermont - While humanitarian workers descended upon Ecuador after a 7.8 magnitude earthquake rocked the country, volunteers were busy helping relief efforts at a University of Vermont computer lab.
- Human skull uncovered in New Jersey during Earth Day cleanup Updated: Apr-25-16 12:01 pm
PENNSAUKEN, New Jersey - An Earth Day effort to clean up a trash-ridden New Jersey river took a grisly turn when a volunteer uncovered a human skull.
- Volunteer fire chief in Williston steps away from position Updated: Apr-24-16 12:35 pm
WILLISTON, North Dakota - A volunteer fire chief in Williston has decided to step away from the position in favor of the next generation.