- Volunteers search for missing after Central Texas flood Updated: May-30-15 2:10 am
WIMBERLEY, Texas - A handful of volunteers trudged along the muddy and brush-filled banks of the Blanco River in Central Texas, searching for a group of people still missing days after the vacation house where they were staying was swept away in a massive flood.
- EXCHANGE: Volunteers donate hair to help children get wigs Updated: May-28-15 6:29 am
QUINCY, Illinois - Six-year-old Beijah Sowards felt bad when she learned some kids her age were losing their hair because of illnesses.
- Team of volunteers to help with Kankakee River emergencies Updated: May-26-15 5:08 am
KANKAKEE, Illinois - The police department in Kankakee has organized a 13-member volunteer Kankakee River emergency response team.
- More than 5,000 volunteers needed for US Open Updated: May-25-15 11:25 am
SEATTLE - She's never done anything like this before, but Nancy Gibson is getting ready to be a marshal. Not with a tin star and a six-shooter, but with a name badge, meal ticket and maybe a couple of big yellow paddles.
- Archaeological dig uncovers Herring Run Park's past Updated: May-25-15 9:17 am
BALTIMORE - Beneath the tall trees and wildflowers of Baltimore's Herring Run Park, the ground holds clues to the city's distant past.
- Group seeks donations to help pay for summer food program Updated: May-21-15 10:10 am
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - For about one-third of local schoolchildren, summer vacation isn't just a break from classes and homework.
- Oregon to test pay-per-mile idea as replacement for gas tax Updated: May-20-15 2:19 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - Oregon is about to embark on a first-in-the-nation program that aims to charge car owners not for the fuel they use, but for the miles they drive.
- Seymour animal lover finds her calling close to home Updated: May-18-15 9:20 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Armed with a target pole and a bag of meat, Jill Burbank walked toward the tiger exhibit at the Indianapolis Zoo.
- Norlyn Senger, 87, helped start Harrisonburg rescue squad Updated: May-17-15 1:52 pm
HARRISONBURG, Virginia - Although it happened nearly a half-century ago, Norlyn Senger, 87, remembers the crash like it was yesterday.
- Dedicated mothers key to keeping Project Graduation going Updated: May-17-15 1:49 pm
FAIRMONT, West Virginia - The people who have been working with Project Graduation in Marion County for the past few decades believe the project is what it is today because of the mothers who are involved.
- Volunteers can start helping out in Delmont starting Friday Updated: May-15-15 7:40 am
DELMONT, South Dakota - Volunteers who want to help clean up debris from the tornado that hit Delmont on Sunday are able to pitch in beginning this week.
- Volunteer work prepares fountain on Belle Isle for operation Updated: May-14-15 9:05 am
DETROIT - Volunteer work is preparing the James Scott Memorial Fountain on Belle Isle in Detroit to begin running for the season.
- Volunteers help Amtrak crash survivors arriving in NYC Updated: May-13-15 7:07 pm
NEW YORK - Red Cross volunteers reached out to about 150 people who arrived at New York's Penn Station on special buses Wednesday - a day after the deadly Amtrak crash.
- City of Scott announces major firefighting improvements Updated: May-13-15 2:47 pm
SCOTT, Louisiana - For years, the city of Scott has had to make do with a lack of fire hydrants, unpaid volunteer firefighters and a nonexistent fire inspector. That won't be the case for much longer.
- Branding season comes to a close at Biddick Ranch Updated: May-12-15 4:52 pm
LARAMIE, Wyoming - The first thing that stood out was the smoke - billowing coils of steam rising from flanks and filling the air with an acrid burning. Then there were the flashes of color - white cowboy hats and blue jeans, the black fur of young Angus calves and the intense orange hue of active flames.
- Former foundation head to speak at volunteerism conference Updated: May-12-15 4:41 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - The former CEO and president of the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation is giving the keynote address at the Governor's Conference on Volunteerism in Concord.
- Shelter helps dogs behave by giving them free play first Updated: May-11-15 4:28 pm
PHOENIX, Oregon - Dogs need to play.
- Recent editorials published in Nebraska newspapers Updated: May-11-15 10:04 am
Kearney Hub. May 8, 2015.
- NY firefighters press legislative agenda in Albany Updated: May-11-15 3:04 am
ALBANY, New York - New York state firefighters are pushing a legislative agenda that includes expansion of cancer coverage for volunteer firefighters, requiring smoke alarms to have sealed-in 10-year batteries, and allowing volunteer fire companies to charge for ambulance service.
- Ketchikan volunteer rescue group gets new dog Updated: May-10-15 3:43 pm
KETCHIKAN, Alaska - The Ketchikan Volunteer Rescue Squad now has another asset to use when called out for search and rescue missions. However, unlike resources such as locator beacons and aerial and water vehicles, the new asset isn't above playing fetch and being pet on the head in her downtime.
- Red Cross volunteers go door to door teaching fire safety Updated: May-10-15 12:16 pm
GRAND FORKS, North Dakota - Volunteers with the Red Cross have gone door to door in Grand Forks as part of an effort to increase awareness on fire safety among some homeowners.
- Volunteer guard to help honor veterans at Ohio cemetery Updated: May-10-15 9:46 am
DAYTON, Ohio - An all-volunteer honor guard to help provide funeral honors for veterans at a national cemetery in southwest Ohio is to be dedicated later this month.
- Downeast group looking for volunteers to gather smelt data Updated: May-10-15 8:43 am
COLUMBIA FALLS, Maine - The Downeast Salmon Federation wants volunteers to help gather data on the health of the sea-run smelt population in Downeast Maine.
- Volunteers needed for Burlington marathon Updated: May-10-15 8:37 am
BURLINGTON, Vermont - Volunteers are needed for the Vermont City Marathon in Burlington.
- Volunteer chaplain prays for, with dying patients, families Updated: May-08-15 10:04 am
MURRAY, Utah - When Tiffany Berg gets a phone call in the middle of the night, it's often to help someone say goodbye.