- New recycling law may cause problems for cleanup volunteers Updated: May-04-15 3:31 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - A new Vermont law requiring the separation of recyclables from garbage could in the future complicate the state's annual Green Up Day.
- St. Louis-area volunteer firefighter found dead in vehicle Updated: May-04-15 11:13 am
PORTAGE DES SIOUX, Missouri - A suburban St. Louis volunteer firefighter who was responding to a weekend blaze was found dead in his vehicle in a field.
- Medical team heads to Nepal to treat earthquake survivors Updated: May-04-15 6:10 am
WILMINGTON, Delaware - Doctors, nurses, paramedics and logistics experts with the Delaware Medical Relief Team are headed to Nepal to help victims of last week's magnitude 7.8 earthquake.
- Audubon wants volunteers to monitor Maine roads for animals Updated: May-02-15 10:01 am
PORTLAND, Maine - Maine Audubon is looking for volunteers to survey roads for signs of animal crossings in an attempt to reduce roadkill.
- Volunteers remove debris from sea turtle nesting beaches Updated: Apr-30-15 4:45 pm
HOMESTEAD, Florida - Alternative Break program volunteers have removed more than seven tons of debris from sea turtle nesting beaches in Biscayne National Park.
- Alarm raised over shrinking number of volunteer firefighters Updated: Apr-30-15 11:44 am
PITTSBURGH - A Pennsylvania state senator is worried about a decline in the number of volunteers at fire stations.
- Army recruiters volunteering for community service projects Updated: Apr-30-15 4:05 am
FORT KNOX, Kentucky - Fort Knox officials say thousands of Army recruiters will volunteer Friday in community service projects across the U.S.
- Perryville Battlefield seeks volunteers for cleanup project Updated: Apr-29-15 3:34 am
PERRYVILLE, Kentucky - The Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site in central Kentucky is looking for volunteers to help clean up the park on May 23.
- Adams County to get brush trucks for volunteer firefighters Updated: Apr-28-15 6:10 am
NATCHEZ, Mississippi - Adams County is looking to put all of its volunteer fire stations on equal footing when it comes to fighting brush fires.
- Arkansas city sues county over volunteer fire tax revenue Updated: Apr-27-15 6:11 pm
BEEBE, Arkansas - A central Arkansas city is suing more than a dozen county officials over volunteer fire department tax revenue.
- Open houses across NY this weekend recruit firefighters Updated: Apr-26-15 12:11 pm
ALBANY, New York - Volunteer fire departments across New York state are holding open houses to recruit new members.
- Volunteers continue work to prevent turtle roadway deaths Updated: Apr-26-15 12:08 pm
MARGATE, New Jersey - To a diamondback terrapin, the black, rigid corrugated tubing along the Margate Causeway might look like a giant, insurmountable wall.
- NY volunteer fire departments recruiting new firefighters Updated: Apr-25-15 9:34 am
ALBANY, New York - Many volunteer fire companies across New York are recruiting new members as part of a statewide campaign to keep their ranks filled.
- Maine Audubon wants volunteers to clean Scarborough Marsh Updated: Apr-25-15 8:23 am
SCARBOROUGH, Maine - Maine Audubon is looking for volunteers to help clean the Scarborough Marsh as part of this year's Earth Day Clean Up.
- More than 3,000 expected to volunteer in DC area Saturday Updated: Apr-25-15 4:28 am
WASHINGTON - More than 3,000 volunteers are expected to help revitalize neighborhood parks, beautify schools and stock food banks in the Washington area as part of a national volunteer effort led by Comcast.
- Volunteers sought for cleanup of Tygart Lake State Park Updated: Apr-24-15 1:56 pm
GRAFTON, West Virginia - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is seeking volunteers for an annual cleanup of Tygart Lake State Park.
- Maine seeks volunteers for invasive beetle event Updated: Apr-24-15 4:05 am
CAMDEN, Maine - Maine conservationists and state officials are calling for residents to participate in a tree-tagging event to raise awareness of the invasive emerald ash borer.
- Volunteers sought to count dead mule deer in western Wyoming Updated: Apr-22-15 11:22 pm
CASPER, Wyoming - Wildlife officials are looking for volunteers to count dead mule deer from the Wyoming Range and Uinta herds in the western part of the state.
- Volunteers step in to fill void in European migrant crisis Updated: Apr-22-15 3:13 pm
ABOARD THE PHOENIX - From the bridge of their 130-foot refitted yacht, Christopher and Regina Catrambone are stepping in to fill the void they say has been left by an ineffective European response to the Mediterranean migrant crisis.
- Maine to help food stamp users meet volunteer requirement Updated: Apr-22-15 11:04 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine is trying to help food recipients meet the volunteer requirement Republican Gov. Paul LePage's administration began enforcing last year.
- Volunteers to clean up Pierre during annual spring event Updated: Apr-22-15 2:29 am
PIERRE, South Dakota - South Dakota's capital city is kicking off its sixth annual spring cleanup effort.
- Seniors breathe new life into old tomes at bookbindery Updated: Apr-19-15 2:10 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - Tucked into a third-floor room in a brick building in Atlantic City, a small group of people is saving history.
- Volunteers rebuild park in tornado-hit Arkansas city Updated: Apr-19-15 1:10 pm
VILONIA, Arkansas - More than 100 volunteers turned out to rebuild Vilonia's city park, which was destroyed when a powerful tornado rolled through the community last April.
- City St. George effort: will it be a dead end or renewal? Updated: Apr-19-15 11:05 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - This is not the first time Trey Cook has spent long days knocking on door after door. He hawked educational books and Bibles over a long college summer. Now, he and his wife, Patty, have a more personal cause: getting neighbors to agree they should create a new city with its own school system.
- Volunteers band seabirds on Maui as part of study Updated: Apr-19-15 9:05 am
KAPALUA, Hawaii - Volunteers banded 150 seabirds in Kapalua to track the population and study their reproductive behavior.