- College athletes volunteer to help Flint amid water crisis Updated: Feb-05-16 7:37 pm
FLINT, Michigan - College athletes are among those volunteering to help Flint amid the city's crisis with lead-tainted drinking water.
- Volunteers work to rebuild forest damaged in 2012 fire Updated: Feb-05-16 7:33 am
LIHUE, Hawaii - A group of volunteers is helping to restore the Hikimoe Ridge, three years after the forest was damaged in a fire that burned several thousand acres on Kauai.
- Vandals destroy 125 newly planted trees in Eugene Updated: Feb-05-16 3:30 am
EUGENE, Oregon - More than 125 trees recently planted by volunteers along Amazon Creek in Eugene have been ripped out of the ground and thrown into the water by vandals.
- Redding firefighter retires after 5 decades with department Updated: Feb-04-16 5:05 am
REDDING, Indiana - Fifty years is a long time to stay with one job.
- Interim sheriff: Reserve deputy program's return undecided Updated: Feb-04-16 12:26 am
TULSA, Oklahoma - The fate of an Oklahoma county's reserve deputy program is still undecided after a member fatally shot an unarmed man last April, the agency's third sheriff in four months said Wednesday.
- Ex-officer rejects deal to let him keep K-9 but work unpaid Updated: Feb-03-16 3:15 pm
MARIETTA, Ohio - A recently retired police officer says he has rejected an offer from the southeastern Ohio city where he worked that would allow him to keep his K-9 partner Ajax if he agrees to work on a volunteer basis, according to news media reports.
- Trone: 3 fired after staffers pose as opponents' volunteers Updated: Feb-03-16 9:45 am
BETHESDA, Maryland - David Trone says he has fired two staffers and a supervisor for his recently launched congressional campaign after the staffers posed as volunteers for his opponents.
- Dozens of Coloradans volunteer to stamp Valentine mail Updated: Feb-02-16 7:27 pm
LOVELAND, Colorado - Snowy weather and travel warnings can't delay love.
- Study: Paying NY fire volunteers would run $3.3B a year Updated: Feb-02-16 8:53 am
ALBANY, New York - Volunteer firefighters say their service saves New York communities more than $3 billion a year statewide.
- Volunteers needed for 2016 derelict trap cleanup Updated: Feb-02-16 6:50 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Volunteers are needed to help the state wildlife and fisheries department clean up and remove abandoned crab traps.
- Volunteers survey Marion County inmates on homelessness Updated: Feb-01-16 12:32 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Volunteers have surveyed the inmates at the Marion County jail as part of the county's annual tally of homeless people.
- Philadelphia convention organizers seek 10,000 volunteers Updated: Jan-27-16 2:41 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Organizers of the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia are looking for volunteers share their love of the City of Brotherly Love.
- Iran training volunteer 'advisers' to serve in Syria Updated: Jan-27-16 12:02 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - A senior commander in Iran's Revolutionary Guard said Wednesday that it is training volunteer "advisers" to serve alongside President Bashar Assad's forces in Syria.
- Alabama rallies late to beat Tennessee 63-57 Updated: Jan-27-16 12:59 am
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - Alabama trailed most of the second half and appeared well on its way to its fourth consecutive loss.
- Nebraska program works to match mentors, children Updated: Jan-26-16 4:56 pm
KEARNEY, Nebraska - A volunteer program in Nebraska is working to help bring positive role models to elementary school children by matching them with older friends.
- 7,000 volunteers to count homeless in Los Angeles County Updated: Jan-26-16 1:33 pm
LOS ANGELES - Some 7,000 volunteers will fan out as part of a three-night effort to count homeless people in most of Los Angeles County.
- Homeless count planned for Tuesday evening in Atlanta Updated: Jan-26-16 8:23 am
ATLANTA - Atlanta officials say they're planning their annual "point-in-time" homeless count Tuesday evening.
- Lawmakers propose funding plan for Arkansas fire departments Updated: Jan-25-16 5:00 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Two Arkansas legislators hope the state finds a way next year to distribute excess state funds to volunteer fire departments that suffer funding shortages, impacting the purchase and repair of equipment.
- Less training required for volunteer police than paid staff Updated: Jan-25-16 12:52 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Police departments in parts of Indiana are using reserve officers or volunteers who work with full police powers but without pay.
- Indiana Red Cross gets new downtown office, leader Updated: Jan-25-16 12:21 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A giant cardboard cutout of Clara Barton looks down on Meridian Street from a window of the new Red Cross building just south of 16th Street.
- Manhattan Project Park offers session for volunteers Updated: Jan-25-16 4:01 am
OAK RIDGE, Tennessee - The Manhattan Project National Historical Park in Oak Ridge has opportunities for volunteers at the park.
- Food truck gives the needy free lunch and a social circle Updated: Jan-23-16 2:44 pm
CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee - Mary Blackmon strolls up to the crowd around the food truck with the bearing of a queen. Even bundled up for a bitterly cold morning, she is clearly a beauty and is greeted like one with hugs and kisses and loads of "lookin' good!"
- Compassionate Caravan brings people in need out of the cold Updated: Jan-23-16 2:29 pm
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - In the brush not far off of South Broadway there is a cluster of tents and makeshift shelters that is practically invisible to passersby.
- Foster Grandparent Program is recruiting Updated: Jan-23-16 2:02 am
KALISPELL, Montana - It's been a year of heartfelt hugs for Linda Gimbel.
- Man arrested on suspicion of shooting firefighter Updated: Jan-22-16 8:16 pm
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Pulaski County Sheriff's deputies arrested a homeowner on suspicion of manslaughter after a firefighter was shot to death while responding to a medical emergency call at a rural home near Little Rock.