- Gov. Rick Snyder honors Michigan volunteers with awards Updated: Jun-29-15 9:10 pm
GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan - Gov. Rick Snyder is honoring Michigan volunteers, nonprofits and businesses with 2015 Governor's Service Awards.
- Volunteers build boxes for displaced sled dogs in Willow Updated: Jun-29-15 2:50 pm
FAIRBANKS, Alaska - A group of volunteers came together to help out the many sled dogs displaced by the Sockeye Fire in Willow.
- US program to train Syrian rebels losing ground Updated: Jun-29-15 1:56 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. military's program to train and equip thousands of moderate Syrian rebels is faltering, with fewer than 100 volunteers, raising questions about whether the effort can produce enough capable fighters quickly enough to make a difference in the war against the Islamic State.
- KanCare starting ombudsman volunteer program in 3 places Updated: Jun-29-15 7:17 am
WICHITA, Kansas - The state-run program that administers Medicaid is seeking volunteer ombudsman for Kansas City, Johnson County and Wichita.
- DNR seeks help gathering info on spread of aquatic species Updated: Jun-29-15 4:08 am
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indiana Department of Natural Resources is seeking volunteers to help gather information on the spread of aquatic species in select northern Indiana lakes.
- Volunteers help to ID immigrant remains buried in Texas Updated: Jun-28-15 4:24 pm
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Forensic specialists in Texas are receiving volunteer help from other states as they work to identify the remains of 90 people discovered buried in a South Texas cemetery last year.
- Nebraska Wildlife Rehab's ark is bursting at the seams Updated: Jun-27-15 12:37 pm
LOUISVILLE, Nebraska - Tucked away in a bathroom strewn with branches from a downed cottonwood is the current star of the Nebraska Wildlife Rehab Inc. rescue operations.
- Iran holds funerals for 8 men killed fighting IS in Syria Updated: Jun-25-15 5:46 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iranian state media say thousands of people have attended the funerals for eight Iranian volunteers killed in fighting against Islamic State extremists in Syria.
- National park looks for volunteers to pull invasive plants Updated: Jun-24-15 5:06 am
ESTES PARK, Colorado - Rocky Mountain National Park is looking for volunteers to help pull exotic plants, nonnative plants.
- New chief to rebuild volunteer fire department Updated: Jun-24-15 4:34 am
LUMBERTON, Mississippi - A self-proclaimed lifelong Lamar County resident, Mike Watts has spent more than two decades helping protect his neighbors' homes and properties from fire.
- 2 firefighters injured in blaze at volunteer fire department Updated: Jun-21-15 1:37 pm
CORAPOLOIS, Pennsylvania - Authorities say two firefighters were treated for smoke inhalation after a blaze at a western Pennsylvania volunteer fire department.
- Maine Audubon needs volunteers for Scarborough marsh center Updated: Jun-21-15 11:23 am
SCARBOROUGH, Maine - Maine Audubon is looking for volunteers to help with its Scarborough Marsh Nature Center at the state's largest salt marsh.
- Volunteers work to preserve photos of WWII veterans Updated: Jun-21-15 9:14 am
GREENFIELD, Indiana - Volunteers in Hancock County are preserving the memory of local soldiers by archiving nearly 1,000 photographs of World War II veterans.
- Lexington students' work helps reopen theatre on anniversary Updated: Jun-20-15 10:49 am
LEXINGTON, Nebraska - It's time to go to the movies in Lexington once again.
- Camp directors have criminal background checks on to-do list Updated: Jun-20-15 9:11 am
CROYDON, New Hampshire - As the summer camp season opens, new state rules require paid and volunteer workers at "skills" camps to undergo criminal background checks while anybody under 18 at both traditional and skills camps has to get two letters of reference about their fitness to work with children.
- Singing bats; scientists lift veil on endangered FL species Updated: Jun-20-15 1:17 am
MIAMI - The mysterious Florida bonneted bat, a creature so elusive that biologists know of only one roost in the wild, is actually a chatterbox, far easier to hear than see.
- Veteran Associated Press reporter, editor Laura Myers dies Updated: Jun-19-15 10:44 pm
LAS VEGAS - Laura Myers, a veteran Associated Press reporter and editor who led the news cooperative's coverage of foreign affairs as the country reeled from the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and spent the past five years covering politics for Nevada's largest newspaper, died Friday.
- Staff and volunteers celebrate call center grand opening Updated: Jun-19-15 11:26 am
ESSEX JUNCTION, Vermont - About 20 staff members and volunteers of Vermont 2-1-1 gathered at their new call center to celebrate its grand opening and offer tours of their new facility near Burlington.
- Pa. House exempts more youth workers from background checks Updated: Jun-17-15 5:41 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania House members voted overwhelmingly Wednesday to exempt more people from a state law that requires background checks for those who work with children.
- Volunteers gathering Saturday to clean up river banks Updated: Jun-17-15 3:34 am
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Volunteers are stepping up this weekend with trash bags and gloves to help clean up the banks of the Ohio and Kentucky rivers.
- SD Red Cross volunteers sent to Texas for relief efforts Updated: Jun-15-15 2:35 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Three Red Cross volunteers from South Dakota have been deployed to Texas to assist with disaster relief efforts in response to the devastating floods and severe storms that affected the area last month.
- Around 10 tons of trash collected from Missouri River Updated: Jun-15-15 1:15 pm
COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa - A nonprofit says around 140 volunteers have collected an estimated 10 tons of trash from the Missouri River in western Iowa.
- Middlesex Artifact wash day giving history a chance to shine Updated: Jun-14-15 9:46 am
MIDDLESEX, Virginia - A toothbrush, plastic tub, strainer and water - not sophisticated tools but just the right ones to wash hundred-year-old artifacts, according to David Brown.
- 'Giving Garden' volunteers farm fresh produce for food bank Updated: Jun-14-15 3:05 am
MYSTIC, Connecticut - The garden at Coogan Farm looks like a typical patch of farmland planted with tomatoes, potatoes and other varieties of vegetables.
- Volunteers to clean up banks of Ohio River June 20 Updated: Jun-12-15 6:38 am
HUNTINGTON, West Virginia - Volunteers will be cleaning up the banks of the Ohio River and its tributaries later this month.