- 12 schemes outlined by prosecutors in soccer indictment Updated: May-27-15 10:42 pm
The indictment of soccer officials and marketing and TV executives Wednesday alleges 12 schemes:
- FIFA's commercial partners urged to make their voices heard Updated: May-27-15 10:30 pm
LONDON - FIFA's sponsorship paymasters are facing mounting calls to put pressure on soccer's global governing body to clean up its act - and fast - following Wednesday's arrest of seven officials.
- Failed Australian bid questioned with new FIFA controversy Updated: May-27-15 10:20 pm
Australia spent about $40 million in an attempt to host the 2022 World Cup, an ultimately futile bid which received just one vote when the tournament was awarded to Qatar.
- US, Swiss target top soccer officials in corruption probe Updated: May-27-15 7:38 pm
ZURICH - The U.S. government launched an attack on what it called deep-seated and brazen corruption in soccer's global governing body Wednesday, pulling FIFA executives out of a luxury Swiss hotel to face racketeering charges and raiding regional offices in Miami.
- How FIFA works: from the congress to executive committee Updated: May-27-15 7:10 pm
ZURICH - From its sleek headquarters in Zurich, FIFA has become a financial giant under Sepp Blatter.
- A look at the 7 officials arrested in the FIFA raids Updated: May-27-15 3:50 pm
Here is a look at the seven soccer officials arrested in Switzerland on warrants issued by the U.S. Justice Department after a corruption probe involving FIFA members. All seven are connected with the regional confederations of North and South America and face up to 20 years in prison if convicted. Authorities want them extradited to the United States:
- Criminal probe arrives at door of the great survivor Blatter Updated: May-27-15 2:39 pm
ZURICH - Sepp Blatter is arguably the most powerful man in world sports and certainly its greatest survivor.
- Russia criticizes US over FIFA case Updated: May-27-15 1:24 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Russia's foreign ministry has heavily criticized the United States over the arrest in Switzerland of officials from soccer's ruling body FIFA.
- FIFA says it is a 'damaged' party in case against officials Updated: May-27-15 9:50 am
ZURICH - FIFA portrayed itself as the victim after authorities in Switzerland and the United States acted swiftly Wednesday on a pair of separate soccer corruption cases.
- THE LATEST: Russia: 'Nothing to hide' in 2018 World Cup bid Updated: May-27-15 8:46 am
ZURICH - 2:40 p.m. (1240 GMT, 8:40 a.m. EDT)
- FIFA now subject to federal probes in US, Switzerland Updated: May-27-15 8:24 am
ZURICH - FIFA's reputation for corruption has reignited spectacularly two days before a presidential election expected to give Sepp Blatter four more years at the head of world soccer.
- AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT Updated: May-26-15 11:06 pm
The Latest on weather: Third body pulled from swollen Blanco River; Texas death toll now 13
- FIFA VP Webb says don't risk World Cup for political reasons Updated: May-26-15 2:12 pm
ZURICH - The future of the $5 billion World Cup has become a key battleground in the pursuit of votes in Friday's FIFA presidential election.
- Russia cuts 2018 World Cup budget by more than $70 million Updated: May-26-15 11:00 am
MOSCOW - The Russian government has cut its budget for the 2018 World Cup by more than $70 million.
- Russia plans to use prison labor for 2018 World Cup Updated: May-25-15 4:54 pm
MOSCOW - Russian authorities want to use prison labor to drive down the costs of holding the 2018 World Cup.
- FIFA defers decision on continental rotation for WCup bids Updated: May-25-15 2:57 pm
ZURICH - FIFA has deferred a decision on potentially limiting which continents can bid to host the 2026 World Cup.
- Capello set target of World Cup semifinal with Russia Updated: May-25-15 11:18 am
MOSCOW - Russia coach Fabio Capello has been told that his team's target should be a World Cup semifinal at home in 2018.
- Aussies select full-strength squad for Cup qualifying opener Updated: May-24-15 9:44 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - Asian Cup champion Australia has selected a full-strength squad including Tim Cahill and Mile Jedinak for its opening World Cup qualifier in Kyrgyzstan.
- Big spending Guangzhou playing for Champs League survival Updated: May-24-15 7:50 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - Guangzhou Evergrande has spent over $100 million since 2010 on Italian coaches like Marcello Lippi and Fabio Cannavaro and on South American talent such as Dario Conca and Ricardo Goulart, so leaving the 2015 Asian Champions League at the second round stage is certainly not part of the plan.
- Thailand beats Vietnam 1-0 in WCup qualifier Updated: May-24-15 10:39 am
BANGKOK - Thailand finally broke through 10-man Vietnam to win 1-0 in their Group F opener for 2018 World Cup Asian Qualifiers on Sunday.
- Blatter set to polarize opinion for 4 more years at FIFA Updated: May-23-15 10:39 am
GENEVA - Sepp Blatter divides opinion so much even his opponents are charmed by him.
- Scolari out of a job, without many supporters in Brazil Updated: May-22-15 9:56 am
SAO PAULO - Not long ago, Luiz Felipe Scolari was seen as an indisputable hero in Brazil. Most agreed he was the perfect coach to lead the national team at the home World Cup.
- Bid to topple Blatter from FIFA rests with Jordanian prince Updated: May-22-15 9:02 am
LONDON - In soccer, the only certain winner seems to be Sepp Blatter.
- FIFA scandals while Sepp Blatter has been president Updated: May-22-15 5:48 am
GENEVA - FIFA has been routinely called "scandal-plagued" for much of Sepp Blatter's 17-year presidential reign.
- Figo tells AP he is quitting FIFA presidential race Updated: May-21-15 5:43 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Calling FIFA a dictatorship under Sepp Blatter, presidential candidate Luis Figo dropped out of the election race on Thursday.