- Brazil police seek charges for 19 in fatal overpass collapse Updated: May-06-15 4:59 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil's investigative police say they're seeking homicide charges against 19 people in the deaths of a man and a woman caused by the collapse of unfinished overpass in the World Cup host city of Belo Horizonte.
- The Latest: Barcelona 0 Bayern 0 at half time Updated: May-06-15 3:42 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - 9:37 p.m.
- FIFA hits back at German TV after arrests in Qatar Updated: May-06-15 2:38 pm
GENEVA - FIFA has heavily criticized its broadcasting partner in Germany for a documentary about World Cup hosts Russia and Qatar that was aired after a reporter revealed his filming crew had been arrested in Doha and had footage and personal data deleted.
- Juventus beats Real Madrid 2-1 in 1st leg of CL semifinal Updated: May-05-15 6:11 pm
TURIN, Italy - Former Real Madrid forward Alvaro Morata came back to haunt his old club as he sent Juventus on its way to a 2-1 victory over the holders in the first leg of their Champions League semifinal on Tuesday.
- Robinho called up for Brazil's Copa America squad Updated: May-05-15 11:44 am
SAO PAULO - Veteran striker Robinho was summoned by Brazil for the Copa America, while an injured Oscar was left out of the squad on Tuesday.
- AP Interview: Qatar minister vows to improve migrants' lives Updated: May-04-15 3:04 pm
DOHA, Qatar - Qatar's inability to ensure decent housing for its bulging migrant labor population was "a mistake" the government is working to fix as it prepares to host the 2022 World Cup, the country's top labor official said Monday, vowing his country would improve conditions for its vast foreign labor force.
- Vasco da Gama beats Botafogo 2-1 to win Rio state title Updated: May-03-15 7:59 pm
SAO PAULO - Striker Gilberto scored in second-half injury time to help Vasco da Gama defeat Botafogo 2-1 to win its first Rio de Janeiro state title in 12 years on Sunday.
- FIFA's Prince Ali seeks more say for national associations Updated: May-03-15 2:32 pm
SOUTHERN SHUNEH, Jordan - FIFA must give national associations a greater say in the governance of world football and adopt a more regional outlook because "you cannot run everything simply from Zurich," FIFA presidential candidate Prince Ali of Jordan said Sunday.
- Brazil still struggling to deal with World Cup stadiums Updated: May-01-15 12:50 pm
SAO PAULO - Brazil spent billions renovating and building World Cup stadiums that were supposed to help modernize and improve local soccer. Almost a year after the tournament ended, the nation is still trying to figure out what to do with them.
- Sao Paulo confirmed as football host in 2016 Olympics Updated: Apr-30-15 8:59 pm
SAO PAULO - Olympic organizers have confirmed Sao Paulo as one of the host cities of the football tournament at the 2016 Rio Games.
- Pair of sheikhs are the big winners at Asian elections Updated: Apr-30-15 10:29 am
MANAMA, Bahrain - A pair of sheikhs were the big winners Thursday at a meeting of Asian soccer leaders.
- Russia launches search for 2018 World Cup mascot Updated: Apr-29-15 6:41 am
MOSCOW - Russia has launched a competition to design the mascot for its 2018 World Cup.
- Russia defends plan to house World Cup teams in Chechnya Updated: Apr-29-15 6:26 am
MOSCOW - World Cup organizers in Russia have defended the possibility of housing teams for the 2018 World Cup in the country's volatile North Caucasus regions, including Chechnya.
- France probes migrant abuse claims linked to 2022 World Cup Updated: Apr-27-15 12:41 pm
PARIS - A French prosecutor has opened a preliminary investigation into allegations that construction company Vinci gravely mistreated migrant workers in Qatar as it prepares to host the 2022 World Cup.
- FIFA rejects lawmakers' call to re-run Qatar World Cup vote Updated: Apr-23-15 3:34 pm
ZURICH - FIFA has rejected a call by European lawmakers to re-run the vote which chose Qatar as 2022 World Cup host.
- Germany beer consumption up in 2014, helped by World Cup Updated: Apr-23-15 4:16 am
BERLIN - Germany saw a slight uptick in beer sales last year, boosted in part by the country's run to the soccer World Cup title.
- Council of Europe to urge FIFA re-vote on World Cup in Qatar Updated: Apr-21-15 7:39 am
STRASBOURG, France - European lawmakers are likely to urge FIFA to re-vote on awarding the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.
- Sepp Blatter tells World Cup detractors to 'stay at home' Updated: Apr-20-15 11:24 am
- Beckenbauer: Bayern 'far, far, far away' from Euro title Updated: Apr-17-15 3:04 pm
NEW YORK - Bayern Munich honorary president Franz Beckenbauer is sharply critical of the team's performance in this week's 3-1 Champions League loss to Porto.
- Morris scores in 1st US start in 2-0 win over Mexico Updated: Apr-16-15 1:33 am
SAN ANTONIO - Jordan Morris made a loud statement in his first start for the U.S. national team against his country's biggest and most bitter rival.
- Australia opens WCup home qualifying campaign vs Bangladesh Updated: Apr-14-15 7:48 pm
PERTH, Australia - Asian Cup champion Australia will play its first home match of its 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign in Perth, Western Australia on Sept. 3 against Bangladesh.
- Australia sent on long road to start World Cup qualifying Updated: Apr-14-15 10:18 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Asian Cup champion Australia was drawn into a far-flung qualifying group Tuesday to start a long journey toward the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
- Russia modifies World Cup contracts to cut imports Updated: Apr-13-15 7:02 am
MOSCOW - The Russian government hopes to save some money by cutting expensive imports from its World Cup construction plans.
- Russia's World Cup organizers face budget headaches Updated: Apr-12-15 8:32 am
SARANSK, Russia - Saransk's stadium for the 2018 World Cup is supposed to raise the profile of this little-known Russian city, but for now Alexei Merkushkin is just trying to keep costs down.
- FIFA report due in June on alleged South Africa match-fixing Updated: Apr-11-15 5:05 am
JOHANNESBURG - South Africa's sports minister says he has received assurances from FIFA's ethics committee that it will complete and present a report in June into allegations of match-fixing in the buildup to the 2010 World Cup.