- Striker Robinho leaves Brazilian club to play in China Updated: Jul-01-15 12:48 am
SAO PAULO - Veteran Brazil striker Robinho said Tuesday that he is leaving Brazilian club Santos and will reportedly play in China for Guangzhou Evergrande, now coached by Luiz Felipe Scolari.
- UEFA tells Spanish league to accept 2022 World Cup dates Updated: Jun-30-15 9:37 am
PRAGUE - UEFA told the Spanish league on Tuesday to stop challenging the decision to move the dates of the World Cup in 2022 to November-December.
- FIFA ousts Barbados from World Cup for ineligible player Updated: Jun-29-15 12:03 pm
ZURICH - Barbados has been eliminated from the 2018 World Cup qualifying tournament for fielding an ineligible player, giving beaten opponent Aruba a reprieve to advance instead.
- Czech football great Josef Masopust dies at 84 Updated: Jun-29-15 9:20 am
PRAGUE - Czech football great Josef Masopust, who led the national side to the final of the 1962 World Cup, has died aged 84.
- Argentina leads final 4 in Copa America semifinals Updated: Jun-28-15 5:24 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - The Copa America semifinals are again missing a local favorite.
- Spanish league appeals FIFA switch of 2022 World Cup dates Updated: Jun-28-15 4:50 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The Spanish football league is challenging FIFA's to switch the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to November-December.
- Brazil faces uncertainty after another disappointing defeat Updated: Jun-28-15 10:33 am
SAO PAULO - It just keeps getting worse for Brazil's national team.
- Paraguay again eliminates Brazil in Copa America quarters Updated: Jun-28-15 12:14 am
CONCEPCION, Chile - Paraguay defeated Brazil 4-3 in a penalty shootout after a 1-1 draw on Saturday to advance to the semifinals of the Copa America, handing the five-time world champions yet another disappointment a year after the humiliating World Cup elimination at home.
- Blatter: 'Liberating' to leave FIFA, expects 2016 election Updated: Jun-27-15 9:18 am
GENEVA - Sepp Blatter says his decision to leave FIFA was "liberating" and he expects the election to replace him will be in early 2016.
- Ghana FA to challenge report on World Cup money Updated: Jun-27-15 5:26 am
ACCRA, Ghana - The Ghana Football Association will challenge some of the findings of an inquiry which questioned how over $3.5 million meant for the team's preparations for last year's World Cup was used.
- Opposition: SAfrican soccer officials shielded from scrutiny Updated: Jun-25-15 2:14 am
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - South African soccer officials are being deliberately shielded from scrutiny over FIFA-related bribery allegations surrounding the country's successful 2010 World Cup bid, an opposition politician said Wednesday.
- Host Chile beats Uruguay to reach Copa America semifinals Updated: Jun-25-15 1:33 am
SANTIAGO, Chile - Chile's hopes of winning its home Copa America sharply improved with a 1-0 win over defending champion Uruguay on Wednesday.
- India loses out as Asia teams turn to overseas soccer talent Updated: Jun-24-15 9:51 pm
When a country with a population of 180,000 is victorious over a nation of more than a billion in the football arena, it would normally be classed as a shock.
- First World Cup, now also F1 for Qatar? Updated: Jun-24-15 1:48 pm
PARIS - Not content with hosting the 2022 World Cup, Qatar is now also exploring the idea of buying Formula One, another big step in its use of the global appeal of sports to put itself firmly on the map.
- Senegal rewards U20 World Cup semifinalists with over $400K Updated: Jun-24-15 6:02 am
DAKAR, Senegal - The Senegal government says it will reward the under-20 soccer squad with over $400,000 for reaching the semifinals in its first appearance at the World Cup.
- Klinsmann picks 17 of 23 World Cup vets for Gold Cup Updated: Jun-23-15 4:12 pm
CHICAGO - The U.S. roster for next month's CONCACAF Gold Cup will look a lot like the American team at last year's World Cup.
- Maradona's road to FIFA presidency filled with obstacles Updated: Jun-22-15 3:05 pm
If Diego Maradona is serious about running for the FIFA presidency, he still has a lot of work to do just to get on the ballot.
- Messi vs. James again - now in Copa America quarterfinals Updated: Jun-22-15 2:36 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Lionel Messi and James Rodriguez are about to meet again. They've left their clubs behind - Barcelona and Real Madrid - and this time Messi is wearing Argentina's blue and white and Rodriguez the red, blue and yellow of Colombia.
- Nigeria federation: Keshi will honor 2-year contract Updated: Jun-22-15 11:09 am
ABUJA, Nigeria - The Nigeria Football Federation said it has been assured that coach Stephen Keshi will honor his two-year contract despite being named as a candidate to take charge of African champion Ivory Coast.
- Neymar out of Copa America after Brazil accepts his ban Updated: Jun-22-15 10:17 am
SANTIAGO, Chile - Neymar will play no further part in the Copa America after Brazil chose to accept the four-match suspension handed to its captain and star player following his red card in the group stage.
- Russia cuts budget for 2018 World Cup by over $500m Updated: Jun-22-15 5:41 am
MOSCOW - Russia has slashed over $500 million from its official budget for the 2018 World Cup after cutting spending on hotels and infrastructure.
- Serbia coach hopes for national unity after World Cup win Updated: Jun-20-15 6:15 am
AUCKLAND, New Zealand - Serbia coach Veljko Paunovic hoped his team's victory at the Under-20 World Cup will help inspire "compassion and unity" in a country still troubled by its war-torn past.
- Serbia beats Brazil 2-1 in Under-20 World Cup final Updated: Jun-20-15 3:52 am
AUCKLAND, New Zealand - Nemanja Maksimovic scored in the 117th minute to give Serbia a surprise 2-1 win over Brazil on Saturday in the final of the Under-20 World Cup.
- Platini has big decision in great game for FIFA throne Updated: Jun-20-15 2:17 am
GENEVA - After years of waiting, Michel Platini's destiny with FIFA is coming faster than he thought.
- 3rd place: Mali gets 3 late goals, beats Senegal at U20 WCup Updated: Jun-20-15 1:11 am
AUCKLAND, New Zealand - Mali claimed third place at the Under-20 World Cup with a 3-1 win over 10-man Senegal in a dramatic and foul-ridden match on Saturday.