- Bennington Police Department shooting spurs probe Updated: Apr-23-14 8:49 am
- Fire at The Day newspaper under investigation Updated: Apr-23-14 8:37 am
- 4-year prison term in Calif. mortgage fraud scheme Updated: Apr-23-14 8:37 am
- Iran removes official in charge of prisons Updated: Apr-23-14 8:34 am
- Homicide trial delayed due to new evidence Updated: Apr-23-14 8:07 am
- Judge to mull Chelsea Manning name change request Updated: Apr-23-14 7:55 am
- Judge approves Culpeper police shooting settlement Updated: Apr-23-14 7:55 am
- APNewsBreak: Gacy case helps solve unrelated death Updated: Apr-23-14 7:34 am
- Teen sentenced to probation for Prophetstown fire Updated: Apr-23-14 7:29 am
- Woman pleads guilty to $144K theft from nonprofit Updated: Apr-23-14 7:29 am
- Natural gas pipeline subcontractor sues Updated: Apr-23-14 7:22 am
- 25- to 50-year term in Pa. teen runaway kidnapping Updated: Apr-23-14 7:19 am
- Court: Sentence deemed too lenient in slaying Updated: Apr-23-14 7:13 am
- Georgia man pleads not guilty in deadly ND crash Updated: Apr-23-14 7:13 am
- Former Fortune 500 exec indicted in fatal NH crash Updated: Apr-23-14 7:06 am
- Prof: Ferry turned further than 3rd mate ordered Updated: Apr-23-14 7:04 am
- 9 indicted in kidnapping of NC prosecutor's father Updated: Apr-23-14 6:59 am
- Man pleads guilty to breaking into Ohio churches Updated: Apr-23-14 6:43 am
- Dallas police seek suspect after man fatally shot Updated: Apr-23-14 6:43 am
- Grand jury: Deadly use of force unauthorized Updated: Apr-23-14 6:35 am
- LI man gets 1 year sentence in rape of minor Updated: Apr-23-14 6:25 am
- Ohio man, 23, gets 20 years for strangling mother Updated: Apr-23-14 6:17 am
- Judge hears arguments in women's jail lawsuit Updated: Apr-23-14 6:16 am
- Pa. township, firm settle suit over seismic tests Updated: Apr-23-14 6:14 am
- Chris Brown assault trial could start Wednesday Updated: Apr-23-14 6:07 am
BENNINGTON, Vermont - Vermont State Police are investigating a shooting in the lobby of the Bennington Police Department that left one person injured.
NEW LONDON, Connecticut - New London authorities are investigating a suspicious fire at the offices of The Day newspaper that forced an evacuation of the building. No one was injured.
SACRAMENTO, California - A 39-year-old Northern California man connected to a wide-ranging mortgage-lending scheme has been sentenced to 4 ½ years in prison.
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's official news agency says the official in charge of the country's prisons has been removed from the post. The development follows reports of alleged abuse of inmates at a Tehran penitentiary.
SUPERIOR, Wisconsin - The Wisconsin trial for an Arizona man accused of killing his ex-girlfriend's fiance has been delayed while the defense analyzes new evidence.
LEAVENWORTH, Kansas - A Kansas judge will on Wednesday consider Army Pfc. Chelsea Manning's petition to legally change her name from Bradley, as she serves a 35-year sentence for passing classified U.S. government information to the anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks.
CULPEPER, Virginia - A judge has approved a $300,000 settlement of a lawsuit stemming from a fatal police shooting in Culpeper.
CHICAGO - Four decades after John Wayne Gacy lured more than 30 young men and boys to his Chicago-area home and strangled them, his case has helped authorities solve another killing - one he didn't commit.
STERLING, Illinois - A teenager was sentenced to five years of probation for starting a fire last summer that destroyed much of downtown Prophetstown.
WASHINGTON - Prosecutors say a 34-year-old Maryland woman has pleaded guilty to stealing more than $144,000 from an education nonprofit organization in Washington, D.C., where she worked in accounting.
AUGUSTA, Maine - Another federal lawsuit has been filed in connection with the installation of a natural gas pipeline in the Kennebec Valley.
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A central Pennsylvania man has been sentenced to 25 to 50 years in state prison after being convicted of kidnapping a teenage runaway.
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Another judge will have to decide the fate of a Hammond woman sentenced in 2013 to one day in jail for manslaughter. An appeals court ruled that the sentence was illegally lenient.
MINOT, North Dakota - A truck driver from Georgia has pleaded not guilty to three counts of negligent homicide stemming from a fiery crash in the western North Dakota oil patch that killed three men.
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A New Hampshire grand jury has indicted a former Fortune 500 executive on second-degree murder charges in a crash that killed a Vermont couple in December.
MOKPO, South Korea - A maritime professor who spoke with the third mate who was steering the South Korean ferry before it sank said Wednesday that he suspects there was a problem with the steering gear.
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - As the kidnappers pulled into a quiet, upscale golf course community, they thought they were about to abduct an assistant district attorney who sent a high-ranking gang member to prison for life, authorities said.
CHILLICOTHE, Ohio - A man has pleaded guilty to kicking in the doors and looting more than two dozen central Ohio churches to help feed his drug habit.
DALLAS - Police say a man found shot on a North Dallas street has died.
EUHARLEE, Georgia - A grand jury has determined that a police officer's use of force in the fatal shooting of a teenager was not authorized.
GLEN COVE, New York - A Long Island man has been sentenced to one year in jail for having sex with a 13-year-old girl he met on Facebook.
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A judge has sentenced a 23-year-old central Ohio man to 20 years in prison for strangling his mother during an argument over money last year.
SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts - A federal judge has heard arguments in a lawsuit brought by 178 former and current inmates at a women's jail in western Massachusetts who say their constitutional rights are being violated because male guards are videotaping strip searches.
PITTSBURGH - A western Pennsylvania township has settled a lawsuit over seismic testing following a federal judge's ruling that it couldn't interfere with a Texas company using public roads for the tests.
WASHINGTON - After a brief postponement, singer Chris Brown's trial on an assault charge is scheduled to begin in Washington.