- Capital murder indictment returned in U.Va. slaying case Updated: May-05-15 10:31 pm
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - The man accused of abducting and killing a University of Virginia student has been charged with capital murder and a prosecutor said Tuesday she will seek the death penalty if the case goes to trial.
- Jury trial date scheduled for former Senate candidate Walker Updated: May-05-15 7:10 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - A jury trial for a former U.S. Senate candidate who's been indicted on election law violations has been scheduled.
- Panel clears Dallas officer fired in excessive-force case Updated: May-05-15 5:22 pm
DALLAS - A grand jury has declined to indict a Dallas police officer fired for using excessive force in a videotaped incident in which a suspected panhandler was pinned to the ground.
- Man indicted in shooting that left couple wounded Updated: May-05-15 3:01 pm
PLEASANTVILLE, New Jersey - A southern New Jersey man has been indicted on two counts of attempted murder stemming from the shooting of a couple outside a convenience store last year.
- Ex-Pennsylvania officer faces arraignment in punching case Updated: May-05-15 12:01 pm
PITTSBURGH - A former Pennsylvania police officer has pleaded not guilty to charges he deprived a suspect of his civil rights by slugging the man in the face and filing a false police report to justify his actions.
- Prosecutors: Ex-state employee made fake insurance cards Updated: May-05-15 2:22 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - A former New Jersey state employee has been indicted on charges that she stole more than $4,000 in assistance benefits and used her work computer to create bogus insurance cards.
- Dover police officer charged with assault Updated: May-04-15 8:25 pm
DOVER, Delaware - The attorney for a Dover police officer is blasting prosecutors' efforts to continue to pursue assault charges against him after a grand jury declined last year to indict him.
- State employee with ties to investigation of auditor fired Updated: May-04-15 8:16 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - A state worker with long ties to indicted Washington State Auditor Troy Kelley was dismissed from the agency Monday.
- Maine's former Washington County sheriff indicted Updated: May-04-15 5:41 pm
MACHIAS, Maine - A Maine grand jury has indicted former Washington County Sheriff Donnie Smith on charges stemming from an investigation into expenditures from an account benefiting inmates.
- Man indicted in fatal highway shooting of cab driver Updated: May-03-15 4:10 pm
SADDLE BROOK, New Jersey - A Newark man accused of fatally shooting a cab driver on a northern New Jersey highway last year has been indicted on several charges, including murder.
- Former sheriff headed to prison to donate political money Updated: May-03-15 12:28 pm
MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina - An attorney for James Metts says the former Lexington County sheriff who's been sentenced to prison plans to give almost $105,000 in unused political contributions to charities.
- 5 indicted in fatal stabbing at party in Culpeper County Updated: May-03-15 12:17 pm
CULPEPER, Virginia - Five people face murder and gang-related charges stemming from a fatal stabbing at a Halloween party in Culpeper County.
- Reform still an issue at troubled Port Authority Updated: May-03-15 11:37 am
NEWARK, New Jersey - The indictments against two former allies of Gov. Chris Christie and the guilty plea of a third, all stemming from the George Washington Bridge lane closing scandal, and the still-looming investigation involving the former chairman of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey have underlined the need for reform at the agency.
- NJ man charged with murder, rape in ex-girlfriend's killing Updated: May-02-15 6:28 am
HACKENSACK, New Jersey - A northern New Jersey man accused of raping and strangling his ex-girlfriend while their baby slept in a nearby crib has been indicted on murder and sexual assault charges.
- Targeted mayor says indictment a 'punch in the gut' Updated: May-02-15 2:26 am
FORT LEE, New Jersey - A New Jersey mayor targeted for political retribution for not supporting Gov. Chris Christie's re-election effort in 2013 said that indictments in the case Friday were a "punch in the gut."
- In big test, Baltimore prosecutor moves swiftly on charges Updated: May-01-15 4:59 pm
BALTIMORE - Baltimore's chief prosecutor, just 35 years old and on the job for less than four months, moved swiftly Friday to address the biggest challenge of her career when she announced charges including second-degree murder against six officers in the death of Freddie Gray.
- Police chief at busiest US port indicted in alleged app scam Updated: May-01-15 1:41 pm
LOS ANGELES - A federal grand jury indicted the veteran police chief for the Port of Los Angeles in an alleged kickback and bribery scheme involving the development of a smartphone app that was supposed to help reduce crime at the nation's busiest seaport.
- 2 indicted Va. corrections officers suspended without pay Updated: May-01-15 12:35 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Two Virginia corrections officers have been suspended following their indictment on drug conspiracy charges.
- Man indicted in death of Monroe woman Updated: May-01-15 9:16 am
MONROE, Louisiana - A Ouachita Parish grand jury has indicted a Monroe man on a charge of first-degree murder in the death of 85-year-old Shirley Cagle in her home last week.
- Ohioan convicted of using dead woman's debit card indicted Updated: May-01-15 3:08 am
DAYTON, Ohio - A southwest Ohio woman convicted of charges involving a dead woman's stolen debit card has been indicted on new charges in the case.
- LA port police chief indicted on corruption charge Updated: Apr-30-15 11:03 pm
LOS ANGELES - A federal grand jury on Thursday indicted the police chief for the Port of Los Angeles in an alleged kickback and bribery scheme involving the development of a smartphone app that was supposed to help reduce port crime.
- 3 ex-guards indicted in inmate death at Massachusetts prison Updated: Apr-30-15 9:11 pm
BOSTON - Three former prison guards were indicted Thursday on involuntary manslaughter and civil rights charges in connection with the restraint death of a mentally ill inmate in 2009.
- 13 law enforcement officers charged with drug conspiracy Updated: Apr-30-15 4:37 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Thirteen current and former law enforcement officers have been indicted on drug conspiracy charges after participating in what they thought was a large-scale cocaine and heroin shipping operation - but turned out to be an FBI sting, authorities said Thursday.
- New charges in drug case believed linked to shooting death Updated: Apr-30-15 3:38 pm
PITTSBURGH - A federal grand jury has returned a new indictment in a heroin trafficking case that authorities believe was linked to the shooting death of a Pittsburgh woman last year, federal prosecutors said.
- Huntsville officer accused of using excessive force Updated: Apr-30-15 2:34 pm
HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - Federal prosecutors say a Huntsville police officer accused of using excessive force during an arrest has been indicted.