- State IDs Minnesota schools making achievement gap progress Updated: Sep-01-15 3:46 pm
ROSEVILLE, Minnesota - Nearly two-thirds of Minnesota's schools are making significant progress in closing achievement gaps in reading and math, the Minnesota Department of Education said Tuesday.
- W.Va. State University to offer media diversity fellowship Updated: Aug-31-15 2:08 am
INSTITUTE, West Virginia - West Virginia State University says a new fellowship program allows minority students to work alongside media professionals to tell the state's story, including its diverse ethnic history.
- Twitter sets modest goals to diversity its workforce Updated: Aug-28-15 5:58 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Twitter is setting modest goals to diversify its workforce while it fights a proposed class-action lawsuit that says the online messaging service discriminates against its female employees.
- Museum honoring black baseball players to open in Birmingham Updated: Aug-28-15 5:09 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A museum honoring black baseball players who formed their own league during segregation is set to open in Birmingham.
- Petition questions UNC Wilmington's commitment to diversity Updated: Aug-27-15 7:23 am
WILMINGTON, North Carolina - An online petition is questioning the University of North Carolina Wilmington's commitment to diversity.
- At 150, FDNY is increasing diversity, with some hurdles Updated: Aug-22-15 12:23 pm
NEW YORK - With a ladder truck, a rescue demonstration and a chance for children to spray a fire hose, a Harlem block party this month honored the 150-year history of the nation's largest fire department. But the recruitment table was there to help shape a changing future.
- Utah public school teachers less diverse than student body Updated: Aug-22-15 11:17 am
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah's public school teachers are less diverse than the students they teach, according to a review of state data. While 1 in 4 students is part of a racial or ethnic minority group, fewer than one in 10 teachers fit that description.
- Portland considering 'Rooney Rule' to increase diversity Updated: Aug-17-15 1:46 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Concerned about diversity in its top ranks, the city of Portland will propose hiring tweaks aimed at recruiting more minorities.
- Apple more than doubles hiring of women and minorities Updated: Aug-13-15 8:07 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple says it more than doubled the numbers of women, blacks and Hispanics hired in the last year, although that barely moved the needle in terms of improving the diversity of its total workforce.
- Desegregation compliance officer seeks court-ordered raise Updated: Aug-10-15 11:17 am
AMITE, Louisiana - The court compliance officer in Tangipahoa Parish's desegregation case is seeking a court-imposed raise after the school board refused his request to double his salary.
- Symantec adapts when transgender employees come out Updated: Aug-08-15 1:22 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Oregon - Meetings at Symantec's Springfield campus tend to revolve around technical issues, so when Cass Averill asked his boss for a sit down six years ago, the manager assumed they'd be talking about systems or software.
- Partnership aims to expand diversity in field of medicine Updated: Aug-08-15 12:07 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - Two rising Hampton University juniors have already been guaranteed admission to the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine, a year ahead of when most of their peers will even start applying.
- School report: Illinois players' allegations unfounded Updated: Aug-03-15 6:34 pm
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - Former University of Illinois women's basketball players' allegations of racially motivated mistreatment were unfounded, investigators hired by the school concluded in a report released Monday that also found that one former assistant coach "treated players harshly."
- Lawmakers seek gender diversity on corporate boards Updated: Aug-02-15 11:29 am
BOSTON - State lawmakers are calling on corporations in Massachusetts to add more women to their governing boards.