- Italy urges Egypt to help find who tortured, killed student Updated: Feb-08-16 1:51 pm
ROME - Italy kept pressure on Egypt Monday to cooperate in finding who tortured and murdered an Italian student doing research in Cairo, insisting it wouldn't accept convenient answers in the case.
- Man sent to prison for 'torture' of teen who stole his gun Updated: Feb-08-16 1:26 am
LYNDEN, Washington - A Whatcom County man accused of torturing a teen who stole his gun and fired it at a park has been sentenced to one year in prison.
- Man convicted in jewelry store worker kidnap gets 30 years Updated: Feb-05-16 3:26 pm
PHILADELPHIA - One of three men convicted of kidnapping and torturing a Philadelphia jewelry store worker before dumping her in a cemetery in an attempt to get the shop's security codes has been sentenced to more than 30 years in prison.
- The Latest: Assange hails 'victory' from embassy balcony Updated: Feb-05-16 12:06 pm
GENEVA - The Latest on the U.N. panel's determination that Julian Assange has been arbitrarily detained (all times local):
- US appeals panel lets stand ruling in Somali torture claim Updated: Feb-01-16 4:51 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - A federal appeals court in Virginia has affirmed a judge's decision to dismiss one count in a Somali farmer's lawsuit against a former officer who he says tortured him in his homeland.
- 'Mastermind' of California jail escape has long past Updated: Jan-29-16 12:01 am
SANTA ANA, California - The alleged mastermind of a brazen California jail break was a small-town paint store manager fresh out of the Marines when his life changed with a car accident. That accident killed his friend and sent him into a spiral culminating with his arrest on charges he tortured and mutilated a man, then left him to die in the desert.
- Michigan couple accused of starving of girl, 5, stand trial Updated: Jan-21-16 8:51 am
PORT HURON, Michigan - A trial is taking placed for a Michigan couple accused of abusing, torturing and starving the man's 5-year-old daughter to death.
- Ugandan rebel appearing before judges at pretrial hearing Updated: Jan-21-16 6:59 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Fugitive warlord Joseph Kony's feared militia deliberately targeted civilians in its conflict with Ugandan government forces, murdering indiscriminately, abducting children to turn into killers "steeped in blood," forcing girls and women into "marriages" with fighters and even ordering cannibalism, an International Criminal Court prosecutor said Thursday.
- Dad takes plea deal in Detroit boy-in-basement case Updated: Jan-19-16 3:10 pm
DETROIT - A Detroit man whose missing son was found in the basement after a highly publicized 11-day search pleaded guilty Tuesday to misdemeanor child abuse, closing a case that began more than 18 months with torture allegations involving a plastic pipe.
- Woman gets 30 years for trying to kill husband, burning home Updated: Jan-14-16 3:01 am
PENSACOLA, Florida - A Florida Panhandle woman who tried to torture and kill her ex-husband and then set their home on fire has been sentenced to 30 years in prison.
- Gaza journalist says he was tortured in Hamas jail Updated: Jan-12-16 2:43 pm
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Palestinian journalist Ayman al-Aloul frequently writes about the hardships of life in the Gaza Strip, and is one of the few voices willing to publicly criticize the rule of the Islamic Hamas movement.
- Court upholds conviction in case of abused toddler Updated: Jan-12-16 12:52 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - The New Hampshire Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld the conviction of a man sent to prison for assaulting his girlfriend's 3-year-old son, days after a judicial panel refused to reduce his sentence of over 25 years.
- Accomplice in Knoxville slayings seeks Supreme Court review Updated: Jan-12-16 6:16 am
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - A convicted accomplice in the kidnapping, rape, torture and murder of a young Knoxville couple in 2007 is asking the nation's highest court to review his case.