- Chicago OKs $5.5M in reparations for police torture victims Updated: May-06-15 6:46 pm
CHICAGO - Chicago's leaders took a step Wednesday typically reserved for nations trying to make amends for slavery or genocide, agreeing to pay $5.5 million in reparations to the mostly African-American victims of the city's notorious police torture scandal and to teach schoolchildren about one of the most shameful chapters of Chicago's history.
- Detroit boy in basement: Stepmother put me there for 11 days Updated: May-06-15 3:28 pm
DETROIT - A boy reported missing for 11 days before he was found in his Detroit basement testified Wednesday that his stepmother ordered him down there and told him to "shut up and be quiet" while investigators scoured the neighborhood searching for him last June.
- 2 Iowa residents plead guilty in Va. sex trafficking case Updated: May-01-15 6:17 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Two Iowa residents have pleaded guilty in a federal sex trafficking case in Virginia.
- Iowan accused of torturing roommate's kitten pleads guilty Updated: Apr-23-15 10:38 am
IOWA CITY, Iowa - A 21-year-old West Liberty man is scheduled to be sentenced next month for abusing his roommate's kitten.
- Auburn woman sentenced to life in prison for abuse of family Updated: Apr-20-15 5:26 pm
AUBURN, Washington - A judge has sentenced an Auburn woman to life in prison for torturing a disabled father and his six children while they lived with her to avoid being homeless.
- Ex-police commander accused of torture decries reparations Updated: Apr-17-15 8:32 pm
CHICAGO - Disgraced Chicago Police Commander Jon Burge says he finds it hard to believe the city is establishing a fund to compensate alleged victims of torture by him and his officers.
- Probation for man who scrubbed Warm Springs crime scene Updated: Apr-13-15 5:42 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - A man guilty of being an accessory after the fact in the killing of a woman on the Warm Springs Indian Reservation won't have to serve more jail time.
- 5 convicted of torture-murder of man found in U-Haul Updated: Apr-07-15 6:22 pm
SANTA MARIA, California - A Central California jury has convicted five people in the torture-murder of a man whose body was found in a U-Haul truck.
- European court rules Italy responsible for protest 'torture' Updated: Apr-07-15 11:49 am
STRASBOURG, France - Europe's top human rights court ruled Tuesday that the unpunished police beating of a 62-year-old man during the 2001 protests at the G-8 summit in the Italian city of Genoa amounted to torture, vindicating hundreds of protesters who claimed they were brutally abused during a police raid.