- Slain Navy SEAL took lessons from running track into combat Updated: May-04-16 7:04 pm
PHOENIX - In cross-country running, your team is only as fast as your slowest athlete. Slain Navy SEAL Charlie Keating IV took that to heart in his youth as a track star, turning around to cheer on his teammates after he crossed the finish line.
- Snowfox and Seals swim teams of Sioux Falls merge into 1 Updated: May-04-16 9:08 am
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Sioux Falls' top swim teams are combining into one.
- USA Swimming bans former Harvard, Fordham coach for life Updated: May-03-16 4:36 pm
BOSTON - Former Harvard and Fordham swim instructor Joe Bernal has been banned from coaching for life by USA Swimming, which says he violated sexual misconduct policies adopted to protect athletes.
- Phelps skipping Atlanta meet while awaiting birth of child Updated: May-03-16 9:41 am
ATLANTA - Awaiting the birth of his first child, Michael Phelps has decided to skip an Olympic prep meet in Atlanta next week.
- Paralympic swimmer disqualified over Olympic rings tattoo Updated: May-02-16 3:21 pm
MADEIRA, Portugal - Paralympic swimming champion Josef Craig was disqualified from a race at the IPC European Championships for failing to cover up a tattoo of the Olympic rings.
- Tom Shields wins 100 butterfly at Swim Meet of Champions Updated: May-01-16 9:32 pm
MISSION VIEJO, California - Tom Shields won the 100-meter butterfly Sunday on the last night of the Fran Crippen Memorial Swim Meet of Champions.
- Hackett apologizes for "pure stupidity" in groping incident Updated: Apr-29-16 1:37 am
GOLD COAST, Australia - Two-time Olympic 1,500-meter freestyle champion Grant Hackett has publicly apologized for a drunken incident on a flight home from the Australian Olympic trials earlier this month, when he was accused of groping a male passenger who reclined the seat in front of him.
- US Olympians get nautical look for Rio's closing ceremony Updated: Apr-27-16 1:34 pm
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - Olympic athletes from the United States will look ready to sail back home when they attend the closing ceremony at this year's games in Rio de Janeiro.
- France's Olympic water polo team cleared by FINA Updated: Apr-27-16 11:41 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The governing body of swimming says no action will be taken against France's water polo team for supposedly losing an Olympic qualifier on purpose to get a preferred opponent in the next round.
- Pellegrini selected as Italy's flag-bearer for Rio Games Updated: Apr-27-16 9:28 am
ROME - Swimming world-record holder Federica Pellegrini was selected Wednesday as Italy's flag-bearer for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics - four years after she asked not to perform the same honor at the London Games.
- Still swimming in exile, Syrian refugee to carry Rio flame Updated: Apr-25-16 4:23 pm
ATHENS, Greece - As a swimming-mad teenager in Syria, Ibrahim Al-Hussein was glued to his TV set for the 2004 Athens Olympics.
- Former Olympic champion Cielo misses individual spot at Rio Updated: Apr-20-16 11:21 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Cesar Cielo, Brazil's most successful and best-known swimmer, has failed to automatically qualify for an individual event at this year's Rio Olympics.
- Steffens embracing leadership role with water polo team Updated: Apr-20-16 7:44 pm
CHICAGO - On her first-ever trip to Chicago, Maggie Steffens grabbed a little deep dish pizza, visited Millennium Park and took in a water polo game at a suburban high school.
- Ledecky and Phelps swim to victories in Arizona Updated: Apr-16-16 10:26 pm
MESA, Arizona - Katie Ledecky won the 800-meter freestyle by nearly 15 seconds at the Arena Pro Swim meet Saturday night, her third victory in three days just over two months before the U.S. Olympic swimming trials.
- Efimova to miss Russian Olympic swim trials while suspended Updated: Apr-15-16 10:56 pm
Swimmer Yulia Efimova of Russia won't compete in her country's Olympic trials after FINA decided to maintain her provisional suspension for failing a doping test.
- Australia selects Olympic team, leaves room for Magnussen Updated: Apr-14-16 7:21 pm
ADELAIDE, Australia - Cameron McEvoy completed an unprecedented sweep of the 50-, 100- and 200-meter freestyle national titles to spearhead a 34-strong team of Australian swimmers who automatically qualified for the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
- Miller posts photo-shopped 'strip-sack' of Newton in a pool Updated: Apr-13-16 8:58 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Broncos linebacker Von Miller isn't letting Panthers quarterback Cam Newton forget who won the Super Bowl.
- Cam Newton tries water polo for reality show Updated: Apr-13-16 2:19 pm
LOS ALAMITOS, California - Cam Newton's offseason routine took one wet turn last week.
- Andras Hargitay named Hungary's new swimming coach Updated: Apr-11-16 9:17 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - The Hungarian swimming federation says Andras Hargitay has been named to lead the national team following the resignation of Laszlo Kiss.
- Des Moines synchronized swim coach finds strength in loss Updated: Apr-10-16 10:54 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Valley High School's annual synchronized swimming performance is just days away, and coach Susan VandeVenter is celebrating. She just found a hair tie to give her some relief from the pool's heat.
- Kitajima announces retirement from competitive swimming Updated: Apr-10-16 4:41 am
TOKYO - Two-time double Olympic champion Kosuke Kitajima announced his retirement from competitive swimming on Sunday, two days after failing to qualify for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
- Gemmell, Twichell win 10k titles at US open water nationals Updated: Apr-08-16 8:41 pm
MIROMAR LAKES, Florida - Andrew Gemmell and Ashley Twichell won 10-kilometer titles Friday in the USA Swimming open water national championships.
- Hackett's attempt for 4th Olympics ends at Australian trials Updated: Apr-08-16 8:32 am
ADELAIDE, Australia - Three-time Olympic gold medalist Grant Hackett's attempt to make the team for Rio de Janeiro ended Friday after he finished seventh in his 200-meter semifinal heat and 11th overall at the Australian trials.
- 2 minors to be charged in Kansas school team bus incident Updated: Apr-07-16 9:38 pm
ELLSWORTH, Kansas - The Ellsworth County Attorney says that he is charging two juveniles with battery in connection to a school bus incident involving members of the Great Bend High School boys swim team.
- Hungary swimming coach resigns after rape conviction emerges Updated: Apr-07-16 1:55 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Laszlo Kiss, coach of Hungary's swimming team for 23 years, resigned on Thursday after it was revealed he was one of three men convicted in a decades-old rape case.