- Manfred understands why minority interviews skipped Updated: May-21-15 8:30 pm
NEW YORK - New baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred said he understands why the Milwaukee Brewers and Miami Marlins did not interview any minority candidates when they hired new managers this month.
- Former players: NFL teams 'conspired' to push painkillers Updated: May-21-15 5:57 pm
BALTIMORE - Hundreds of former players have filed a lawsuit claiming all 32 NFL teams, their doctors, trainers and medical staffs obtained and provided painkillers to players - often illegally - as part of a decades-long conspiracy to keep them on the field without regard for their long-term health.
- SportAccord's Vizer issues 20-point plan for talks with IOC Updated: May-21-15 2:07 pm
LONDON - As more sports cut ties with his umbrella association, SportAccord chief Marius Vizer issued a 20-point plan Thursday for discussions with the IOC - including prize money for Olympic athletes and a 50 percent stake for federations in the new Olympic television channel.
- Platini defends Financial Fair Play ahead of easing rules Updated: May-21-15 6:38 am
NYON, Switzerland - UEFA president Michel Platini insists his Financial Fair Play project to control club spending is "here to stay" and has not changed approach.
- FFA terminates Newcastle license over financial issues Updated: May-20-15 3:00 am
SYDNEY - Football Federation Australia has terminated the Newcastle Jets' A-League operating license hours after financially troubled owner Nathan Tinkler placed the club into voluntary administration with debts of 2.7 million Australian dollars ($2.14 million).
- Players' union asks Goodell to recuse self from Brady appeal Updated: May-19-15 7:51 pm
- Torpedo Moscow players strike over unpaid wages Updated: May-19-15 12:24 pm
MOSCOW - Torpedo Moscow's players are refusing to train in protest at months of unpaid wages as many Russian clubs battle financial problems.
- Kraft-Goodell relationship frayed by NFL investigation Updated: May-18-15 5:27 pm
- Platini: UEFA looking to ease rules on club spending Updated: May-18-15 12:27 pm
GENEVA - UEFA is preparing to ease rules which limit how much Europe's top clubs spend on player transfers and wages.
- 'Deflategate' appeal could test powers of NFL commissioner Updated: May-16-15 6:02 pm
FOXBOROUGH, Massachusetts - This is no longer about deflated footballs.
- Sochi hockey players start legal battle for pay Updated: May-13-15 1:29 pm
MOSCOW - Players at the Sochi hockey club that forms a major part of the legacy of last year's Winter Olympics are to start a legal battle over months of unpaid wages.
- Despite $1M fine, Patriots reap profit from Brady suspension Updated: May-12-15 6:23 pm
FOXBOROUGH, Massachusetts - A four-game suspension.
- UW to provide student-athletes $3,200 for expenses Updated: May-10-15 3:48 pm
LARAMIE, Wyoming - For student-athletes, it's good news.
- Jameis Winston files counterclaim, denies he raped woman Updated: May-09-15 5:18 pm
TAMPA, Florida - Attorneys for top NFL draft pick Jameis Winston contend a woman seeking civil damages from the quarterback after accusing him of rape is trying to tarnish his reputation and tap into the Heisman Trophy winner's newfound wealth.
- 'Holdout' now almost unknown for NFL rookies Updated: May-08-15 4:38 pm
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minnesota - As the days ticked down toward the first rookie minicamp for the Minnesota Vikings, executive vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski worked feverishly with one goal in mind.
- Former UW lineman Rains seeks NFL career with Denver Broncos Updated: May-08-15 9:29 am
LARAMIE, Wyoming - During his three years in Laramie, Connor Rains never made the short trek to Denver for a Broncos game.
- Cards, Chiefs concussion lawsuits could bring team testimony Updated: May-08-15 2:09 am
Concussion lawsuits filed by former St. Louis Cardinals receiver Roy Green, Kansas City Chiefs defensive lineman Neil Smith and their teammates could force team officials to testify about claims they hid the risk of repeated head injuries.
- Jets sign 5th-rounder Jarvis Harrison to 4-year deal Updated: May-06-15 10:52 pm
FLORHAM PARK, New Jersey - The New York Jets have signed offensive lineman Jarvis Harrison, their fifth-round draft pick out of Texas A&M.
- Top WNBA players use new leverage to demand trades, sit out Updated: May-06-15 8:23 pm
LAS VEGAS - Several of the WNBA's marquee players are flexing newly gained leverage to make demands on the league, including forcing trades and dictating when they'll play.
- With 9 picks, Ravens fill several holes in NFL draft Updated: May-02-15 6:09 pm
OWINGS MILLS, Maryland - The Baltimore Ravens have evidently decided that the best way to deal with a tight salary cap is to get players with a predetermined wage scale.
- Cleveland jock tax on out-of-town athletes unconstitutional Updated: Apr-30-15 11:11 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The way Cleveland taxes professional athletes who work for short periods of time in the city is unconstitutional because it violates athletes' due process rights, the Ohio Supreme Court said Thursday.
- JaMarcus Russell heads list of draft busts this century Updated: Apr-29-15 5:35 pm
No NFL team wants to draft another JaMarcus Russell.
- St. Louis Rams age discrimination case heads to arbitration Updated: Apr-28-15 3:30 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - An age discrimination case from a longtime St. Louis Rams employee against the team will go to arbitration.
- 2015 Wimbledon singles champions to receive nearly $3M Updated: Apr-28-15 12:09 pm
LONDON - Prize money keeps going up at Wimbledon, with first-round losers as well as champions cashing in on record rewards.
- Nowitzki still working with Mavs in trouble against Rockets Updated: Apr-27-15 8:32 pm
DALLAS - As usual, Dirk Nowitzki stayed on the practice court long after the rest of the Dallas players, shooting jumper after jumper on a day between first-round playoff games against Houston.