- NZealand 17, Philippines 7 at World Baseball qualifier Updated: Feb-12-16 12:56 am
SYDNEY - New Zealand first baseman Boss Moanaroa had seven RBIs, including a three-run homer in a six-run sixth inning, to lead a 17-7 comeback win over the Philippines in a World Baseball Classic qualifier on Friday.
- Jackie Robinson West parents sue league, ESPN, whistleblower Updated: Feb-11-16 11:29 pm
CHICAGO - The parents of 13 members of the Chicago Little League team stripped last year of its 2014 U.S. championship are suing team officials, Little League Baseball, an ESPN sportscaster and the man who exposed the team's residency violations.
- Moustakas, Royals agree to $14.3 million, 2-year contract Updated: Feb-11-16 10:19 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The Royals and third baseman Mike Moustakas agreed Thursday to a $14.3 million, two-year contract that not only avoids arbitration this year but also buys out his final year.
- With Dombrowski in Boston, trades with Cashman could slow Updated: Feb-11-16 9:16 pm
NEW YORK - Now that he's with the Boston Red Sox, Dave Dombrowski doesn't expect to be making a lot of trades with Yankees general manager Brian Cashman.
- University of Arkansas at Monticello to face Minnesota State Updated: Feb-11-16 6:43 pm
MONTICELLO, Arkansas - The University of Arkansas at Monticello baseball team is scheduled to play a three-game homestand this weekend against No. 9 Minnesota State.
- Braves sign veteran RHP Carlos Torres to minor-league deal Updated: Feb-11-16 6:19 pm
- Pirates sign pitcher Cory Luebke to minor-league deal Updated: Feb-11-16 6:06 pm
- Padres hire Hideo Nomo to boost presence in Pacific Rim Updated: Feb-11-16 4:55 pm
SAN DIEGO - The San Diego Padres have hired Hideo Nomo as an adviser to baseball operations to help expand their presence in the Pacific Rim.
- Oregon's Horton is manager of USA Collegiate National Team Updated: Feb-11-16 3:23 pm
DURHAM, North Carolina - Oregon coach George Horton has been named manager of the 2016 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team.
- Yankees to dedicate plaque to Mariano Rivera on Aug 14 Updated: Feb-11-16 3:01 pm
NEW YORK - The Yankees will dedicate a plaque for retired relief pitcher Mariano Rivera in Monument Park at Yankee Stadium on Aug. 14 before a game against Tampa Bay.
- AP Interview: Union head Tony Clark pitches for more jobs Updated: Feb-11-16 1:38 pm
NEW YORK - With spring training approaching and dozens of players still seeking jobs, union leader Tony Clark concluded baseball's current system needs change.
- Big South Conference to hold baseball tourney in Lexington Updated: Feb-11-16 1:36 pm
LEXINGTON, South Carolina - The Big South Conference baseball tournament is coming to Lexington's new ballpark.
- Veteran newsman Joe Danborn named AP's Rockies news editor Updated: Feb-11-16 1:36 pm
DENVER - Joe Danborn, a veteran editor for the Associated Press, has been named Rockies news editor for the cooperative.
- Ozzie Guillen to manage in native Venezuela next winter Updated: Feb-10-16 8:37 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Ozzie Guillen, who led the Chicago White Sox to the 2005 World Series title, was hired Wednesday to manage the La Guaira Sharks of the Venezuelan Winter League next offseason.
- Fate of Hank Aaron statue unclear with Braves moving Updated: Feb-10-16 6:41 pm
ATLANTA - The Atlanta Braves say they still do not know if the Hank Aaron statue will be moved from its current home at Turner Field to the team's new SunTrust Park, which will open in 2017.
- Belt, Giants agree at $6.2 million just before hearing Updated: Feb-10-16 4:10 pm
PHOENIX - First baseman Brandon Belt and the San Francisco Giants have agreed to a $6.2 million, one-year contract.
- 'Great Expansion' of 1967 showed NHL was for real Updated: Feb-10-16 3:02 pm
The NHL's "great expansion" of 1967 delivered hockey to California, led to the "Broad Street Bullies" and legitimized the league as a major force in North American professional sports.
- Astros designated hitter Gattis has sports hernia surgery Updated: Feb-10-16 12:31 pm
HOUSTON - Houston designated hitter Evan Gattis underwent surgery to repair a sports hernia.
- Moreland's $5.7M deal with Rangers avoids arbitration Updated: Feb-10-16 9:08 am
PHOENIX - First baseman Mitch Moreland has agreed to a $5.7 million, one-year contract with the Texas Rangers, avoiding a salary arbitration hearing set for Wednesday.
- Youth baseball coach convicted of groping 2 boys in Lincoln Updated: Feb-10-16 8:02 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - A 34-year-old youth baseball coach has been convicted of sexually assaulting two boys in Lincoln.
- Ex-Tigers pitcher loses bid for new trial in contract case Updated: Feb-10-16 6:26 am
HOWELL, Michigan - A judge has rejected a request by ex-Detroit Tigers pitcher Denny McLain for a new trial in a breach-of-contract case.
- Clippard says D-backs' potential drew him to Arizona Updated: Feb-09-16 11:55 pm
PHOENIX - Reliever Tyler Clippard says that Arizona's potential to contend for a title was a big reason he signed with the Diamondbacks.
- Bud Selig to teach at Arizona State's College of Law Updated: Feb-09-16 10:15 pm
TEMPE, Arizona - Former baseball commissioner Bud Selig will teach sports law and business at Arizona State's Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law.
- Longtime Reds clubhouse manager Bernie Stowe dies at age 80 Updated: Feb-09-16 8:51 pm
CINCINNATI - Bernie Stowe, who started working as one of the Cincinnati Reds' clubhouse attendants in 1947, died on Tuesday. He was 80 years old.
- Darvish feeling strong in rehab, eager to rejoin Rangers Updated: Feb-09-16 7:52 pm