- EXCHANGE: Program for injured veterans promotes fitness Updated: May-24-15 1:26 pm
PLAINFIELD, Illinois - Keith Aguina, a veteran who is a quadriplegic, often encountered poor attitudes and physical barriers at the gym.
- Special Olympics pioneer Marty Sheets dies at age 62 Updated: May-23-15 4:54 pm
GREENSBORO, North Carolina - Special Olympics pioneer Marty Sheets has died at 62.
- Special Olympics pioneer Marty Sheets dies at age 62 Updated: May-23-15 4:31 pm
GREENSBORO, North Carolina - Marty Sheets, a pioneer in Special Olympics and member of the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame, has died. He was 62 years old.
- Waterbury teachers seek to help underprivileged students Updated: May-23-15 3:04 am
WATERBURY, Connecticut - Several years ago, Marcos Pacheco Hernandez was known as the toughest kid at Kennedy High School.
- Police officer, suspect killed in Omaha shooting Updated: May-20-15 8:49 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - A Nebraska man opened fire Wednesday on officers who were trying to arrest him for a previous shooting, prompting police to return gunfire in a shootout that left one officer and the suspect dead, Omaha Police Chief Todd Schmaderer said.
- Paralympian wants new study into advantages of prosthesis Updated: May-20-15 12:06 pm
BERLIN - German Paralympian Markus Rehm is calling for a new scientific study to determine whether his carbon-fiber prosthesis gives him an unfair advantage.
- Severely injured vets find healing, hope through sports Updated: May-18-15 4:46 pm
EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Florida - As an Air Force crew chief in Afghanistan and Iraq, part of Sgt. Tim McDonough's dangerous mission was recovering the remains of soldiers killed in combat.
- Motorcyclists lead funeral procession for Rhode Island man Updated: May-16-15 3:35 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Dozens of motorcyclists turned out for a final tribute to a West Warwick man with whom they shared a special bond.
- Lee named artistic director for 2018 Paralympic ceremonies Updated: May-15-15 4:17 am
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korean organizers have appointed Lee Moon-tae as executive artistic director for the 2018 Paralympic ceremonies but delayed hiring anyone to direct the opening and closing ceremonies for the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang.
- IHSA, Special Olympics team up for fishing tournament Updated: May-14-15 6:15 am
BLOOMINGTON, Illinois - Athletes from Illinois high schools and the Special Olympics are teaming up for a fishing tournament.
- Special-needs athletes take center stage at letter ceremony Updated: May-10-15 11:25 am
WICHITA, Kansas - In most ways, the Tri-County League's ceremony was just like any other end-of-season athletic banquet, replete with fond stories of notable performances throughout the year in soccer, basketball and cheerleading.
- Iowa council to vote on special ball field for disabled Updated: May-04-15 8:49 am
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - The City Council is expected to vote Monday on a proposal for a special baseball field for mentally and physically disabled players in Sioux City.
- Special Olympics Chicago Spring Games to be held this week Updated: May-04-15 4:05 am
CHICAGO - Special Olympians are coming to the city where their games began nearly a half century ago.
- US beats Canada to win sledge hockey worlds Updated: May-03-15 5:20 pm
BUFFALO, New York - The United States defeated Canada 3-0 Sunday to win the world sledge hockey championship.
- New site, app, links celebrities, charities and donors Updated: May-01-15 5:37 pm
LOS ANGELES - Chatting on the red carpet with Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence; recording a country song with Clint Black; working a relief mission with Patricia Arquette; receiving a serenade from Michael Bolton on a Caribbean island. These are just some of the WOW! moments possible for everyday donors through a new online charity service that combines star power with digital marketing savvy to contribute millions to celebrity causes worldwide.
- Special Olympics games kicking off at Fort Jackson Updated: May-01-15 4:35 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - It's time for the 47th Annual Special Olympics Summer Games at Fort Jackson.
- Davenport man gets 10 years in care facility sex abuse case Updated: Apr-30-15 1:52 pm
DAVENPORT, Iowa - A Davenport has been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison after pleading guilty to sexually abusing a mentally disabled person at a residential care facility.