- Swiss coach Marcel Koller guides Austria to Euro 2016 Updated: Oct-13-15 10:04 am
VIENNA - For all the sporting rivalry between the neighboring countries, it took a coach from Switzerland to help Austria qualify for a European Championship for the first time.
- Philippe Blatter-led Infront confirms Italian TV inquiry Updated: Oct-13-15 9:48 am
ROME - A sports marketing agency run by the nephew of suspended FIFA President Sepp Blatter confirmed Tuesday that the head of its Italian branch and two associates are under investigation for "alleged manipulation" over the sale of lucrative Serie A TV rights.
- VW fallout: Wolfsburg postpones planned training center Updated: Oct-13-15 9:04 am
WOLFSBURG, Germany - Volkswagen-backed Bundesliga club Wolfsburg has postponed the construction of a youth training center because of the German car manufacturer's emissions-rigging scandal.
- UEFA charges Moldova over fans' racist flags at Russia game Updated: Oct-13-15 8:50 am
NYON, Switzerland - UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against the Moldova soccer association over crowd issues, including racism, during a European Championship qualifier against Russia.
- Paderborn appoints former Germany player Effenberg as coach Updated: Oct-13-15 8:30 am
PADERBORN, Germany - Former Germany midfielder Stefan Effenberg is taking over as coach of second-division club Paderborn.
- Ronaldo receives Golden Boot award for Europe's top scorer Updated: Oct-13-15 7:51 am
MADRID - Cristiano Ronaldo received his record fourth Golden Boot award on Tuesday after leading all scorers in Europe's domestic leagues last season.
- Feeling in Spain is for De Gea to replace Casillas in goal Updated: Oct-13-15 7:34 am
BARCELONA, Spain - Ever since that unexpected loss at the start of last year's World Cup, there has been a growing feeling in Spain that it's time for David de Gea to take over as national team goalkeeper.
- Djibril Cisse arrested in blackmail case Updated: Oct-13-15 5:26 am
PARIS - Former France striker Djibril Cisse has been arrested as part of an investigation into a blackmail case that allegedly involves another football player.
- Jurgen Klinsmann sends Fabian Johnson home Updated: Oct-12-15 9:25 pm
HARRISON, New Jersey - Fabian Johnson was told to return to Germany by U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann, who was displeased the defender took himself out of last weekend's 3-2 loss to Mexico in the 111th minute.
- Thai federation president Worawi to appeal FIFA suspension Updated: Oct-12-15 7:25 pm
BANGKOK - A lawyer acting for Worawi Makudi says the Thai soccer association president will immediately appeal his 90-day suspension handed down by FIFA on Monday.
- Boxx, Holiday, Chalupny set for international finales Updated: Oct-12-15 6:04 pm
CHICAGO - Shannon Boxx, Lauren Holiday and Lori Chalupny will make their final appearances for the Women's World Cup champion U.S. soccer team in exhibition games against Brazil.
- Slovakia beats Luxembourg 4-2, qualifies for Euro 2016 Updated: Oct-12-15 6:02 pm
LUXEMBOURG - Slovakia beat Luxembourg 4-2 on Monday to advance to the European Championship for the first time as an independent nation.
- Russia and Slovakia qualify for 2016 European Championship Updated: Oct-12-15 6:01 pm
MADRID - Russia is returning to the European Championship for the fourth straight time, while Slovakia will be playing in the tournament for the first time as an independent nation.
- AP Source: Lack of written contract led to FIFA suspensions Updated: Oct-12-15 5:33 pm
ZURICH - The toppling of soccer's most powerful and recognizable leaders may have been sealed when FIFA President Sepp Blatter agreed to pay Michel Platini, the head of European soccer, 2 million Swiss francs (about $2 million) in 2011.
- Russia beats Montenegro 2-0 to qualify for Euro 2016 Updated: Oct-12-15 2:18 pm
MOSCOW - Russia qualified for next year's European championships with a 2-0 win over Montenegro on Monday, while Sweden goes into the playoffs.
- Balotelli will have to work twice as hard to play in Euros Updated: Oct-12-15 2:15 pm
ROME - Mario Balotelli was named in the team of the tournament at the last European Championship.
- Euro 2016: Albania players get heroes' welcome Updated: Oct-12-15 12:16 pm
TIRANA, Albania - Players in the Albanian national football team flew home to a heroes' welcome Monday after qualifying for the 2016 European Championships - the first major tournament the country has ever reached.
- Toronto FC hires Bill Manning as president Updated: Oct-12-15 11:48 am
TORONTO - Bill Manning has been hired as president of Toronto FC.
- Blind calls up defender, goalkeepers for decisive qualifier Updated: Oct-12-15 8:46 am
AMSTERDAM - Netherlands coach Danny Blind has called up two goalkeepers and a defender for his team's must-win final qualifier for next year's European Championship.
- Raphael Varane is key at the heart of France's back 4 Updated: Oct-12-15 7:43 am
PARIS - With six goals in two matches, France's offensive potential was on display last week as the host nation stepped up its preparations for next year's European Championship.
- Bryant has 21 points, Lakers rout Maccabi Haifa 126-83 Updated: Oct-12-15 12:00 am
LOS ANGELES - Kobe Bryant scored 21 points and Roy Hibbert had 16 rebounds, leading the Los Angeles Lakers to a 126-83 exhibition rout of Israel's Maccabi Haifa on Sunday night.
- Giroud scores twice as France beats Denmark 2-1 Updated: Oct-11-15 5:22 pm
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - France striker Olivier Giroud received a welcome confidence boost as he scored twice Sunday in a 2-1 win over Denmark in a friendly match.
- Albania qualifies for European Championship for 1st time Updated: Oct-11-15 5:05 pm
YEREVAN, Armenia - Albania qualified for its first major tournament by beating Armenia 3-0 on Sunday in its final qualifier for next year's European Championship.
- Germany, Poland qualify for Euro 2016; Ireland into playoffs Updated: Oct-11-15 4:44 pm
LEIPZIG, Germany - Germany and Poland clinched their places at next year's European Championship with 2-1 home victories over Georgia and Ireland in their final qualifying games on Sunday.
- Loss to Mexico punctuates a rough year for US soccer Updated: Oct-11-15 4:29 pm
PASADENA, California - The American Outlaws and their fellow U.S. soccer fans were louder, rowdier and more numerous than they were four years ago for their team's last clash with Mexico at the Rose Bowl.