- Mainz beats Schalke 2-1, moves 5th for now in Bundesliga Updated: Feb-12-16 5:39 pm
BERLIN - Mainz captain Julian Baumgartlinger's first Bundesliga goal gave his side a 2-1 win over Schalke that lifted the side provisionally fifth on Friday.
- Rennes beats Angers 1-0 with injury-time goal Updated: Feb-12-16 5:22 pm
PARIS - An injury-time own goal from defender Arnold Bouka Moutou helped Rennes to a 1-0 win over Angers as the Brittany club leapfrogged the promoted side in the French league standings.
- Sporting and Rayo draw in Spain, stay near relegation zone Updated: Feb-12-16 5:15 pm
MADRID - Sporting Gijon and Rayo Vallecano drew 2-2 in the Spanish league on Friday, a result that left both teams near the relegation zone.
- Dzeko scores as Roma beats Carpi 3-1 to move 3rd in Serie A Updated: Feb-12-16 4:59 pm
MODENA, Italy - Edin Dzeko broke his goalscoring drought to help Roma win 3-1 at relegation-threatened Carpi and move provisionally third in Serie A on Friday.
- Barcelona-Real Madrid rivalry spills into Copa del Rey final Updated: Feb-12-16 2:55 pm
MADRID - The rivalry between Real Madrid and Barcelona has spilled into the Copa del Rey final, a match in which Madrid isn't even playing.
- FIFA ethics committee bans Jerome Valcke for 12 years Updated: Feb-12-16 2:00 pm
GENEVA - Jerome Valcke, Sepp Blatter's long-time right-hand man, was banned from all soccer-related activity for 12 years Friday for misconduct during his term as FIFA secretary general.
- Ex-soccer player Bent given 12-month suspended jail sentence Updated: Feb-12-16 1:18 pm
GUILDFORD, England - Former English Premier League player Marcus Bent was handed a 12-month suspended jail sentence on Friday for confronting two police officers with a meat cleaver and a kitchen knife while under the influence of cocaine.
- Prosecutor: Johnson 'abused revered position' in sex case Updated: Feb-12-16 9:51 am
BRADFORD, England - English soccer player Adam Johnson "abused his revered position in society" by having sexual contact with a 15-year-old girl who "idolized" him, prosecutors said on Friday.
- Illinois youth soccer group bans hitting ball with head Updated: Feb-12-16 9:49 am
ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, Illinois - The group that governs 81,000 young soccer players in Illinois says it will no longer let athletes age 10 and younger use their heads to strike the ball.
- Kompany in line to return for Man City after injury Updated: Feb-12-16 9:39 am
MANCHESTER, England - Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany is in line to play against Tottenham on Sunday for his first match this year, after recovering from a calf injury.
- Bach: 'No intention' by any countries to pull out Updated: Feb-12-16 9:12 am
LILLEHAMMER, Norway - IOC President Thomas Bach said Friday that no countries intend to pull out of the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro over concerns about the Zika virus.
- Costa has broken nose, should play for Chelsea vs Newcastle Updated: Feb-12-16 8:55 am
LONDON - Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink says Diego Costa broke his nose in training but still expects the striker to be available for the English Premier League game against Newcastle on Saturday.
- English soccer set for another fan protest at Arsenal Updated: Feb-12-16 7:30 am
Fan protests have been the theme of the week in European soccer - and there could be another on the way in the most high-profile game in the English Premier League this weekend.
- Brisbane lead by 1 in A-League after drawing with Newcastle Updated: Feb-12-16 6:30 am
BRISBANE, Australia - Brisbane moved a point clear into first place in the A-League after veteran defender Jade North's second-half goal allowed the Roar to draw with the Newcastle Jets 2-2 on Friday.
- FIFA candidate Sheikh Salman signs human rights pledge Updated: Feb-12-16 5:15 am
MIAMI - FIFA presidential candidate Sheikh Salman says he signed a pledge written by NGOs committing the governing body, if he leads it, to tackle human rights abuses and corruption.
- Worawi hopes depend on appeal against FAT elections Updated: Feb-11-16 11:47 pm
BANGKOK - Worawi Makudi's attempts to cling onto power in Thai football depend on an appeal against this week's Football Association of Thailand elections which voted in a new president.
- Canada women blank Guyana 5-0 to open Olympic qualifying Updated: Feb-11-16 11:40 pm
HOUSTON - Ashley Lawrence scored two of his three goals in a minute span in the second half, and Canada routed Guyana 5-0 on Thursday night to open the group stage of the CONCACAF Olympic qualifying tournament.
- FIFA candidates head to Miami to meet CONCACAF in crisis Updated: Feb-11-16 11:07 pm
The five FIFA presidential candidates meet in Miami on Friday with the election's most inscrutable voters who are deep in their own leadership race amid a financial crisis.
- Trinidad and Tobago rallies to beat Guatemala 2-1 Updated: Feb-11-16 9:13 pm
HOUSTON - Kennya Cordner and Tasha St. Louis scored within about four minutes in the second half to give Trinidad and Tobago a 2-1 come-from-behind victory over Guatemala on Thursday night in a group stage match in the CONCACAF women's Olympic qualifying tournament.
- Arsenal and Chivas to play July exhibition in Los Angeles Updated: Feb-11-16 6:50 pm
CARSON, California - Arsenal and Chivas will play an exhibition match in the Los Angeles area on July 31 as part of the English Premier League club's U.S. tour.
- 7-foot Tonye Jekiri a big reason for Hurricanes' success Updated: Feb-11-16 5:46 pm
CORAL GABLES, Florida - In his most recent game, Miami Hurricanes senior Tonye Jekiri twice saved balls from going out of bounds under his basket, forced a turnover at midcourt and was the first player down the floor on a fast break.
- Payet signs new contract with Premier League club West Ham Updated: Feb-11-16 5:39 pm
LONDON - West Ham midfielder Dimitri Payet has agreed a contract which will keep him at the club until 2021.
- Sunderland fires Adam Johnson after guilty pleas in sex case Updated: Feb-11-16 2:46 pm
SUNDERLAND, England - Sunderland has fired winger Adam Johnson after he pleaded guilty to grooming and sexual activity with a 15-year-old girl at the start of his trial.
- Arsenal to play MLS All-Stars as part of 2-match US tour Updated: Feb-11-16 1:30 pm
NEW YORK - Arsenal will play Major League Soccer's All-Stars on July 28 at San Jose, California.
- Bundesliga go-ahead for video replay tests over 2 years Updated: Feb-11-16 12:45 pm
BERLIN - The German Football League (DFL) has given the go-ahead for the possible testing of video replays in the Bundesliga over a two-year pilot phase.