- Neymar recovers from mumps, fit for 1st match Updated: Aug-29-15 7:32 am
BARCELONA, Spain - Barcelona says Neymar has been cleared to play his first match of the season after having recovered from the mumps.
- Salinas, Earthquakes beat 10-man Galaxy for 4th straight win Updated: Aug-29-15 1:20 am
SAN JOSE, California - San Jose's Shea Salinas headed the game's sole goal in the first half as the Earthquakes beat 10-man Los Angeles 1-0 on Friday, costing the Galaxy a chance to extend their lead in Major League Soccer's Western Conference.
- Salinas, Earthquakes beat 10-man Galaxy for 4th straight win Updated: Aug-29-15 1:11 am
- Correction: High-Tech Practice story Updated: Aug-28-15 7:57 pm
ST. JOSEPH, Missouri - In a story Aug. 20 about professional sports teams using GPS devices to track player performance, The Associated Press reported, based on information provided by StatSports, that the New York Knicks were using the technology. The Knicks are not clients of StatSports.
- Villarreal beats Espanyol 3-1 in Spanish league Updated: Aug-28-15 5:47 pm
MADRID - New signing Cedric Bakambu scored two late goals to give Villarreal a 3-1 win over Espanyol on Friday in the Spanish league.
- Judge releases Argentine businessmen held in FIFA scandal Updated: Aug-28-15 5:30 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Two Argentine businessmen who were arrested in connection with the FIFA corruption scandal have been released from prison until an ongoing extradition proceeding to the United States is resolved.
- Wolfsburg beats Schalke 3-0 in Bundesliga Updated: Aug-28-15 4:56 pm
FRANKFURT, Germany - Wolfsburg found out there is life after Kevin de Bruyne, beating Schalke 3-0 in a showdown between two highly rated Bundesliga teams on Friday.
- Movement to curtail concussions and make sports safer Updated: Aug-28-15 4:49 pm
SHERIDAN, Wyoming - When an athlete breaks a bone, sprains a joint or tears a ligament, the damage is easily identified by bruising, swelling and obvious pain.
- Yaya Toure opts out of Ivory Coast squad, future unclear Updated: Aug-28-15 3:05 pm
ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast - Yaya Toure asked not to be included in Ivory Coast's squad for its first 2017 African Cup of Nations qualifier and coach Michel Dussuyer says the midfielder is in a "period of reflection" over his international career.
- Things to know about the FIFA presidential election Updated: Aug-28-15 1:39 pm
MONACO - FIFA presidential contender Michel Platini would not talk about it Friday, but he is the front-runner in an election that is still six months off.
- FIFA contender Platini refuses to talk election issues Updated: Aug-28-15 1:15 pm
MONACO - Michel Platini apologized Friday for refusing to discuss FIFA issues at his first news conference since announcing his bid for president of the governing body last month.
- Conte: Balotelli must show he 'deserves' an Italy call up Updated: Aug-28-15 1:08 pm
ROME - If Mario Balotelli wants to return to Italy's squad, coach Antonio Conte says he'll have to show that he deserves a spot.
- Flamboyant Depay already a crowd-pleaser at Man United Updated: Aug-28-15 12:44 pm
MANCHESTER, England - Players who have flourished in the iconic No. 7 jersey at Manchester United have had three attributes in common: attitude, ability and aura.
- Blind replaces Van Persie with Robben as Netherlands captain Updated: Aug-28-15 11:38 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Arjen Robben replaced striker Robin van Persie as captain of the Netherlands on Friday in Danny Blind's first squad since taking over from Guus Hiddink as national coach.
- Bayern sends Pierre Emile Hoejbjerg to Schalke on loan Updated: Aug-28-15 11:18 am
MUNICH - Bayern Munich says it is sending midfielder Pierre Emil Hoejbjerg on loan to Schalke for the season.
- Australian punters influencing American college football Updated: Aug-28-15 11:09 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A series of coincidences led LSU coach Les Miles to bring in his first Australian punter.
- Midfielder Veloso back for Portugal against France, Albania Updated: Aug-28-15 10:51 am
LISBON, Portugal - Miguel Veloso earned his first call-up in a year as Portugal coach Fernando Santos announced his 24-man squad for an exhibition game against France and a European Championship qualifying match in Albania.
- Mihajlovic already growing tired of questions on Balotelli Updated: Aug-28-15 10:21 am
MILAN - One day after Mario Balotelli's loan back to AC Milan began, Rossoneri coach Sinisa Mihajlovic is already growing tired of questions about the maverick striker.
- Spain coach calls up David de Gea for Euro 2016 qualifiers Updated: Aug-28-15 9:56 am
MADRID - Spain coach Vicente del Bosque on Friday included goalkeeper David de Gea, Diego Costa and Juan Mata in his squad to take on Slovakia and Macedonia in qualifying matches for next year's European Championship.
- Germany picks Liverpool's Emre Can for Euro qualifiers Updated: Aug-28-15 9:09 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Germany coach Joachim Loew called up Liverpool midfielder Emre Can on Friday for the upcoming European Championship qualifying matches against Poland and Scotland.
- Former European champs Ajax, Celtic grouped in Europa League Updated: Aug-28-15 8:59 am
MONACO - Former European champions Ajax and Celtic were drawn together with Fenerbahce and Molde in the Europa League groups on Friday.
- Slovakia midfielder Juraj Kucka has medical with AC Milan Updated: Aug-28-15 8:41 am
MILAN - Slovakia midfielder Juraj Kucka is undergoing a medical with AC Milan ahead of an expected transfer from Genoa.
- South Korea forward Son Heung-min joins Tottenham Updated: Aug-28-15 7:05 am
LONDON - South Korea forward Son Heung-min secured his long-desired move to the Premier League by signing for Tottenham on Friday, pledging to be "bold and daring" in his attempts to lift the club back into the top echelons of the English game.
- Leverkusen signs Kevin Kampl from Dortmund Updated: Aug-28-15 6:35 am
- FFA gives Brisbane Roar's Indonesia owners final warning Updated: Aug-28-15 2:06 am
BRISBANE, Australia - Football Federation Australia has told the Indonesian owners of Brisbane Roar that they will lose control of the A-League club if its financial problems are not addressed immediately.