- WHO and sailing body seek virus tests in Rio Olympic venues Updated: Aug-01-15 10:55 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The World Health Organization has asked the IOC to analyze virus levels in Rio de Janeiro's Olympic waters, and the governing body of world sailing says it will start doing its own independent virus tests.
- Lawsuit: Bosses let rules-breaking sailor compete in Cup Updated: Aug-01-15 10:22 pm
SAN DIEGO - Top officials with Oracle Team USA knew grinder Matt Mitchell didn't illegally alter a catamaran used in warmup regattas and yet let a rules-breaking sailor compete in the 2013 America's Cup, according to a lawsuit filed in federal court in San Francisco.
- Jets GM supportive, but noncommittal on Richardson's future Updated: Aug-01-15 8:56 pm
FLORHAM PARK, New Jersey - Sheldon Richardson has a lot of making up - and growing up - to do with the New York Jets.
- Mum Brady sharp in Patriots' first padded practice Updated: Aug-01-15 4:06 pm
FOXBOROUGH, Massachusetts - Two things were certain Saturday when the New England Patriots put on pads for the first time at training camp: The home fans sure do love Tom Brady, and the quarterback's suspension and court case haven't affected his accuracy.
- British swimmer Peaty in fight for world record ratification Updated: Aug-01-15 12:20 pm
KAZAN, Russia - Nearly a year later, British swimmer Adam Peaty's world record in the 50-meter breaststroke isn't ratified.
- Troubles haven't slowed down for NFL Updated: Aug-01-15 12:15 pm
Shattered cellphones. Fireworks accidents. Failed drug tests.
- IOC hears reports on Rio's dirty water, Tokyo emblem flap Updated: Aug-01-15 7:53 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - A day after the high-profile vote which awarded Beijing the 2022 Winter Games, International Olympic Committee members dealt Saturday with issues affecting the next two Summer Games - severe water pollution in Rio de Janeiro and the fuss over Tokyo's choice of emblem.
- Skins CB Breeland suspended by NFL, then injured at practice Updated: Jul-31-15 9:08 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - On a tumultuous day for Washington Redskins cornerback Bashaud Breeland, the second-year player was suspended by the NFL on Friday, nearly a year after being cited for marijuana possession, then was carted off the field because he got injured in practice.
- Judge orders Goodell, Brady appear in court Aug. 12, 19 Updated: Jul-31-15 6:59 pm
NEW YORK - The federal judge handling Tom Brady's attempt to overturn his four-game suspension ordered the New England quarterback and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to appear in court twice in mid-August.
- Defendant in FIFA case appears in US court Updated: Jul-31-15 5:24 pm
NEW YORK - An Argentinian sports marketing executive pleaded not guilty in a U.S. court Friday in the massive racketeering and bribery case that has scandalized international soccer.
- NCAA has stay granted in O'Bannon case; payments delayed Updated: Jul-31-15 5:05 pm
The NCAA was given a respite Friday when the 9th U.S. Circuit Court delayed the implementation of possible payments to athletes for the use of their names, images and likenesses.
- Farmer: Browns approach won't change despite his suspension Updated: Jul-31-15 4:57 pm
BEREA, Ohio - Even though he has been suspended for the first four weeks of the NFL's regular season, Browns general manager Ray Farmer said Friday his approach to building the roster during training camp and the regular season will not change.
- Chiefs veterans return to Missouri Western for training camp Updated: Jul-31-15 3:12 pm
ST. JOSEPH, Missouri - Derrick Johnson and Mike DeVito made it through all of training camp last season, through the long practices and insufferable heat on the campus of Missouri Western State University.
- Back to Beijing for 2nd Olympics in 14 years Updated: Jul-31-15 10:13 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Throughout more than 120 years of Olympic history, no city has hosted both the winter and summer games. Now, Beijing will be the first do it - and in the span of just 14 years.
- Muted reaction in Almaty as Kazakh city's Olympic bid fails Updated: Jul-31-15 8:30 am
ALMATY, Kazakhstan - Within minutes of the announcement that Almaty's bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics had failed, it was almost as if it had never happened.
- Jets' Richardson facing charges for resisting arrest Updated: Jul-30-15 10:02 pm
FLORHAM PARK, New Jersey - Sheldon Richardson has already been suspended four games by the NFL for drug use. The New York Jets defensive lineman is now facing trouble with the law.
- Patriots open camp, try to ignore 'Deflategate' noise Updated: Jul-30-15 5:55 pm
FOXBOROUGH, Massachusetts - Fans drove to Gillette Stadium past a booth selling "Free Tom Brady" T-shirts.
- Commissioner: NBA relationship with players 'best' in sports Updated: Jul-30-15 12:40 pm
JOHANNESBURG - With a multi-billion dollar new broadcast rights deal set to kick in from the 2016-17 season, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver says "it's a very good time" for the league right now and, he stressed on Thursday, the players, too.
- Platini kicks off political fight for future of FIFA Updated: Jul-30-15 12:24 pm
GENEVA - Michel Platini hopes he made a decisive move early in the seven-month campaign to become FIFA president.
- Brady fights on, files lawsuit to stop suspension Updated: Jul-29-15 10:04 pm
FOXBOROUGH, Massachusetts - Tom Brady took the fight over his "Deflategate" suspension to social media and federal court Wednesday, and New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft backed the three-time Super Bowl MVP, saying "I was wrong to put my faith in the league."
- Bach: Boston failed to deliver on 'promises' to USOC Updated: Jul-29-15 9:42 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - IOC President Thomas Bach said Boston was firmly to blame for its aborted bid for the 2024 Olympics and that the city failed to deliver on "promises" made to U.S. Olympic leaders when they selected the Massachusetts capital as the American candidate for the games.
- Russia suspended from basketball by FIBA for infighting Updated: Jul-29-15 8:54 pm
MOSCOW - The Russian Basketball Federation was suspended Wednesday by FIBA, meaning it could miss the European Championship that doubles as an Olympic qualifier.
- CONMEBOL outlines reforms after FIFA bribery scandal Updated: Jul-29-15 6:57 pm
ASUNCION, Paraguay - The CONMEBOL soccer body will begin publishing the salary of its president and executive council members after being plunged into crisis by the FIFA bribery scandal.
- The Latest: Brady and players' union file lawsuit again NFL Updated: Jul-29-15 6:31 pm
FOXBOROUGH, Massachusetts - Here is the latest surrounding the suspension of star Patriots quarterback Tom Brady for using underinflated footballs (all times local):
- WNBA suspends San Antonio's Danielle Adams 3 games Updated: Jul-29-15 4:38 pm
SAN ANTONIO - The WNBA suspended Danielle Adams of the San Antonio Stars for three games without pay for an unspecified violation of the league's anti-drug program.