- USC AD: Sarkisian fired for failing to meet school standards Updated: Oct-13-15 5:41 pm
LOS ANGELES - Southern California athletic director Pat Haden defended both his hiring and firing of Steve Sarkisian on Tuesday, saying the troubled football coach passed a thorough background check and had no behavioral missteps until the last two months.
- NFL acknowledges game clock error in Steelers-Chargers game Updated: Oct-13-15 5:33 pm
For the second week in a row, the NFL acknowledged an officiating error in a nationally televised game.
- Inside FIFA case: How Blatter, Platini could face long bans Updated: Oct-13-15 2:15 pm
ZURICH - FIFA investigators are yet to be convinced there was any long-standing verbal agreement that led to Sepp Blatter secretly sanctioning the payment of 2 million Swiss francs (about $2 million) to Michel Platini.
- California to big-league ballplayers: Stop dipping Updated: Oct-13-15 1:42 pm
LOS ANGELES - California lawmakers have taken the first step toward accomplishing something Major League Baseball could never do on its own: Stop players from using smokeless tobacco.
- IOC sets Oct. 27 deadline for resolution of Kuwait dispute Updated: Oct-13-15 5:46 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The IOC has set a deadline of Oct. 27 for the resolution of a dispute that could lead to Kuwait's suspension from the Olympic body.
- With Grier suspended, No. 8 Florida will learn about Harris Updated: Oct-13-15 2:54 am
GAINESVILLE, Florida - Florida coach Jim McElwain has insisted for months that he has two quarterbacks capable of producing in the Southeastern Conference.
- Firing, suspension, retirement rock college football Updated: Oct-13-15 2:36 am
The news read: USC coach Steve...
- Twitter suspends accounts after NFL complaints Updated: Oct-12-15 11:50 pm
NEW YORK - Twitter accounts for websites Deadspin and SB Nation were suspended by the social media platform Monday night after the NFL filed notices related to their use of copyrighted video highlights.
- Mississippi's Tunsil receives 7-game suspension from NCAA Updated: Oct-12-15 11:02 pm
Mississippi starting left tackle Laremy Tunsil will miss the Rebels' game Saturday against Memphis in addition to the six games he has already sat out after the NCAA ruled he received several improper benefits.
- Sheldon Richardson back with Jets after 4-game suspension Updated: Oct-12-15 7:50 pm
FLORHAM PARK, New Jersey - The toughest part for Sheldon Richardson was sitting and watching while his New York Jets teammates played - and mostly won - without him.
- Thai federation president Worawi to appeal FIFA suspension Updated: Oct-12-15 7:25 pm
BANGKOK - A lawyer acting for Worawi Makudi says the Thai soccer association president will immediately appeal his 90-day suspension handed down by FIFA on Monday.
- USC fires Steve Sarkisian 1 day after putting coach on leave Updated: Oct-12-15 7:05 pm
LOS ANGELES - Southern California fired Steve Sarkisian on Monday, one day after the troubled football coach was put on leave.
- Bills place running back Wood on IR; activate Enemkpali Updated: Oct-12-15 2:12 pm
ORCHARD PARK, New York - Buffalo Bills running back Cierre Wood will miss the remainder of the season because of a knee injury.
- La.-Lafayette acknowledges NCAA probe, sanctions itself Updated: Oct-12-15 1:57 pm
LAFAYETTE, Louisiana - Louisiana-Lafayette officials say their football program is under investigation by the NCAA because a former assistant coach allegedly schemed to fraudulently boost certain recruits' standardized test scores.
- Clean slide or dirty play? The take on Utley's takeout Updated: Oct-11-15 10:46 pm
NEW YORK - This much is certain: Anyone who bemoans that baseball's gone soft never covered second base with Chase Utley bearing down on a potential double play.
- Daily fantasy sports and cheating allegations, a quick Q&A Updated: Oct-10-15 2:38 am
LAS VEGAS - Cheating allegations rocked the daily fantasy sports industry this week and as scrutiny mounts, a largely self-aimed spotlight has grown blindingly bright on DraftKings and FanDuel, which have flooded televisions, phones and computers with advertisements promising million-dollar payouts to a lucky few.
- SMU will not appeal Larry Brown suspension or postseason ban Updated: Oct-09-15 9:58 pm
DALLAS - SMU will not appeal the NCAA postseason ban on the men's basketball team or the nine-game suspension for coach Larry Brown.
- Platini retains UEFA title, with no interim leader in place Updated: Oct-09-15 2:54 pm
LONDON - Still defiant, UEFA is standing by its man.
- Matt Barnes: NBA looking into incident with Knicks' coach Updated: Oct-08-15 8:56 pm
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The NBA is investigating the incident between Grizzlies forward Matt Barnes and Knicks coach and former teammate Derek Fisher, a situation Barnes said is "personal matter" involving someone who was a good friend at one point.
- With Platini suspended, FIFA election field more uncertain Updated: Oct-08-15 7:43 pm
LONDON - From sure bet to suspended, Michel Platini's career in soccer politics could be over.
- Sharks F Torres apologizes for hit that led to suspension Updated: Oct-08-15 4:35 pm
SAN JOSE, California - San Jose Sharks forward Raffi Torres says that "I am disappointed I have put myself in a position to be suspended again."
- Fan: Super Bowl ticket process violates consumer law Updated: Oct-08-15 3:11 pm
PHILADELPHIA - A New Jersey man asked a federal appeals court Thursday to revive his consumer protection lawsuit that aims to flag the NFL over the number of tickets sold to the public for the 2014 Super Bowl.
- The Latest: Hayatou says Platini can be credible candidate Updated: Oct-08-15 2:13 pm
ZURICH - The Latest from the FIFA investigation (all time local):
- Statement from suspended UEFA President Michel Platini Updated: Oct-08-15 1:49 pm
Statement from suspended UEFA President Michel Platini:
- Column: Sepp Blatter, hoisted by his own petard at FIFA Updated: Oct-08-15 1:34 pm
PARIS - The delicious irony of it: Sepp Blatter tossed out of football, at least temporarily, by a FIFA policing body that he himself helped create when the world was still his oyster.