- Not even helmets help pro bull riders stave off concussions Updated: May-22-15 3:27 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Kasey Hayes hopped on the bovine beast trapped in the narrow holding pen like he'd done hundreds of times. He adjusted a tight rope on his left hand, found his balance and signaled he was ready to dominate the bull for the next eight seconds - or, at least, hoped to.
- Hinchcliffe out of intensive care as recovery continues Updated: May-20-15 3:18 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - IndyCar driver James Hinchcliffe was been moved out of intensive care Wednesday, two days after surgery on his left thigh and pelvic area following a frightening crash during practice for the Indianapolis 500.
- Stem cells still uncharted territory in sports Updated: May-18-15 2:50 am
C.J. Nitkowski had nothing to lose in spring 2011. The rotator cuff in his left shoulder that he'd relied on during his decade as a major league pitcher was in tatters. He was 38 and his fastball traveled a Little League-worthy 50 mph.
- In the NFL, helmet sensors are a sensitive issue Updated: May-16-15 9:38 am
NEW ORLEANS - When big-money NFL careers are at stake, the use of impact-measuring sensors in football helmets isn't as routine as one might expect.
- NFL's Nabel sees league as leader in player health, safety Updated: May-12-15 7:48 pm
NEW YORK - The NFL's chief medical adviser believes the league's player health initiatives will lead to safer conditions for all sports.
- Illinois preps body rolls out concussion-prevention projects Updated: May-12-15 3:19 pm
CHICAGO - With a potentially costly lawsuit looming over it, the governing body of prep sports in Illinois on Tuesday rolled out a series of concussion-prevention projects, including a new advisory council that has the son of a former Chicago Bear as a member.
- Aging skiers bring new demands for sports medicine Updated: May-08-15 11:38 am
VAIL, Colorado - A few years ago, the National Ski Areas Association released numbers confirming the existence of something that many here have enjoyed contributing: an aging skier population.