- Penn State men, Villanova women big winners at Penn Relays Updated: Apr-29-16 5:36 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Brannon Kidder led Penn State to the distance medley relay championship at the Penn Relays on Friday, breaking away from the pack with a blistering anchor leg.
- African champs to go ahead despite South Africa hosting ban Updated: Apr-29-16 11:32 am
JOHANNESBURG - The African track and field championships will go ahead in South Africa in June because they were awarded before a government ban on hosting major events came into force, the national athletics federation said on Friday.
- Cincinnati's 18th "Flying Pig" marathon set Sunday Updated: Apr-29-16 12:19 am
CINCINNATI - Organizers expect another record field for the annual Flying Pig Marathon and related races this weekend in Cincinnati.
- Miller-Koch successfully defends Drake heptathlon title Updated: Apr-28-16 10:51 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Heather Miller-Koch successfully defended her Drake Relays heptathlon title Thursday, winning four of the seven events and finishing with 5,796 points.
- 2-time Olympic high jumper paralyzed after backflip mishap Updated: Apr-28-16 7:25 pm
Two-time Olympic high jumper Jamie Nieto is steadily regaining sensation after a backflip gone wrong during a training session left him paralyzed.
- Doctors to patrol Pittsburgh Marathon course for quick aid Updated: Apr-28-16 10:08 am
PITTSBURGH - About 100 yards from the finish line of last year's Pittsburgh Marathon, where a body pushed to its physical limit prepares for its endorphin-filled reward, a runner collapsed, the victim of a cardiac event.
- Allyson Felix out of Doha meet with minor ankle injury Updated: Apr-28-16 5:05 am
DOHA, Qatar - Organizers say Olympic 200-meter champion Allyson Felix has pulled out of the Diamond League meet in Doha next week because of a "minor" ankle injury she picked up in training.
- Rockies rally, lose to Pirates 9-8 in 12 innings Updated: Apr-28-16 3:30 am
DENVER - For the second time in four days, the Colorado Rockies roared back from a big deficit only to lose late.
- Mercer's double in 12th lifts Pirates over Rockies 9-8 Updated: Apr-28-16 2:45 am
DENVER - Jordy Mercer's defense helped get the game to extra innings and his offense put Pittsburgh over the top.
- Russia tops doping in 2014, athletics has most cases Updated: Apr-27-16 5:51 pm
MONTREAL - Russia was responsible for more doping violations than any other country in 2014, while track and field was the sport with the worst doping record over the year, according to the World Anti-Doping Agency.
- Passing security test at Euro 2016 will help 2024 Paris bid Updated: Apr-27-16 3:42 pm
PARIS - Hosting a successful European Championship for soccer fans in June and July would provide further proof that France could stage a safe Olympic Games in Paris in 2024, French Olympic Committee president Denis Masseglia said Wednesday.
- Russian track team could return at European Championships Updated: Apr-27-16 12:22 pm
GENEVA - If reinstated in June, Russia could still compete at the European track championships in July, the head of European Athletics said Wednesday after meeting senior officials in Moscow.
- Kazakh hurdler Soprunova banned 4 years for doping Updated: Apr-27-16 7:54 am
MOSCOW - Kazakh hurdler Anastasia Soprunova has been given a four-year doping ban and will lose her gold medal from the Asian indoor championships.
- State backs athletes who could miss Rio due to power failure Updated: Apr-27-16 3:10 am
NEW DELHI - The Olympic ambitions of two Indian sprinters are in jeopardy after a power failure at a weekend qualifying event prevented electronic timing, and their hand-timed performances - good enough to make the team for Rio de Janeiro - do not count.
- Two-time Olympic champion Felix Sanchez announces retirement Updated: Apr-26-16 8:16 pm
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic - Two-time Olympic 400-meter hurdles gold medalist Felix Sanchez has announced his retirement at the age 38 and will not compete in the 2016 games in Rio de Janeiro.
- 12-year-old girl runs NY half-marathon by mistake Updated: Apr-26-16 7:41 pm
ROCHESTER, New York - A 12-year-old western New York girl has wound up running 10 extra miles after she got into the wrong road race.
- Arkansas pole vaulter Lexi Weeks named SEC Freshman of Week Updated: Apr-26-16 4:48 pm
FAYETTEVILLE, Arkansas - University of Arkansas pole vaulter Lexi Weeks has been named the Southeastern Conference Freshman of the Week for the second consecutive week.
- Usain Bolt to run 100m again at Golden Spike in May Updated: Apr-26-16 9:05 am
PRAGUE - Usain Bolt will run the 100 meters at the Golden Spike in the Czech city of Ostrava on May 20.
- WADA appoints cycling doping expert to Russia project Updated: Apr-25-16 12:52 pm
MONTREAL - A former war crimes investigator who examined doping in the Lance Armstrong era of cycling will help rebuild Russia's discredited anti-doping program.
- Massachusetts father runs 6 marathons for autistic son Updated: Apr-25-16 9:31 am
BOSTON - For Chris Beck, crossing the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday marked the end of an exhausting, but rewarding year. He ran the Abbott World Marathon Majors, of which Boston is one, in one year to raise awareness about autism for his son Owen.
- Ohio couple weds at starting line, then runs half-marathon Updated: Apr-25-16 7:52 am
CANTON, Ohio - This year's Pro Football Hall of Fame Marathon in Ohio will be a race to remember for one couple who married at the starting line before running the event's half-marathon.
- Army officer dies after collapsing running London Marathon Updated: Apr-25-16 7:51 am
LONDON - A British Army officer has died after collapsing three miles short of the London Marathon finish line.
- Rescue pup Vincent crowned 'Beautiful Bulldog' in Iowa Updated: Apr-24-16 7:35 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The owners of Vincent, a rescued 60-pound English bulldog, aren't quite sure how old he is.
- London Marathon record for Kipchoge; Sumgong wins after fall Updated: Apr-24-16 2:50 pm
LONDON - A feat of speed by Eliud Kipchoge, rushing to a course record. A feat of fortitude by Jemima Sumgong, recovering from a painful fall to win.
- UK astronaut Tim Peake runs marathon aboard space station Updated: Apr-24-16 11:17 am
LONDON - British astronaut Tim Peake has completed the London Marathon - from 250 miles (400 kilometers) above the Earth.