- Byers, NCAA's 1st executive director, dies at 93 Updated: May-28-15 12:42 am
Walter Byers, the first executive director of the NCAA who spent 36 years leading and shaping the organization that oversees college athletics, has died. He was 93.
- Stackhouse gives Stanford its first NCAA women's golf title Updated: May-28-15 12:32 am
BRADENTON, Florida - Mariah Stackhouse rallied to beat Hayley Davis in 19 holes to give Stanford its first NCAA women's golf title, 3-2 over Baylor on Wednesday in the match-play final.
- Beach volleyball star Kerri Walsh Jennings injures shoulder Updated: May-27-15 11:42 pm
MOSCOW - Three-time Olympic beach volleyball champion Kerri Walsh Jennings withdrew from a pool match Wednesday in the Moscow Grand Slam because of a right shoulder injury.
- Griner: Fellow WNBA players want her to appeal suspension Updated: May-27-15 9:36 pm
NEW YORK - Brittney Griner has been hearing from players around the WNBA who would like her to change her mind and appeal her seven-game suspension for a domestic violence incident involving her partner Glory Johnson, also a player in the league.
- Oklahoma's Chamberlain, Florida's Haeger lead All-Americans Updated: May-27-15 6:25 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - All-time Division I home-run leader Lauren Chamberlain of Oklahoma and Florida utility player Lauren Haeger headline the National Fastpitch Coaches Association's All-America softball team.
- Seattle's Bird ready for rebuilding, mentoring ahead Updated: May-27-15 5:14 pm
SEATTLE - Shot after shot came off the fingers of Sue Bird, the swishing sound echoing through the practice gym, just like they have for most of her career.
- Vive la France! Good day for Monfils, Tsonga at French Open Updated: May-27-15 4:41 pm
PARIS - Gael Monfils delivered one final ace, his 21st, and closed out his latest raucous, five-set victory on Court Philippe Chatrier to the delight of roaring, partisan spectators.
- Georgia Tech, Georgia make the grade on NCAA's APR Updated: May-27-15 3:02 pm
ATLANTA - Eight Georgia Tech teams and two Georgia teams have earned perfect scores on the NCAA's Academic Progress Report, and every team from the two schools made passing scores.
- NCAA: Athletes improving in classroom; wage gap remains Updated: May-27-15 1:25 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The NCAA released its latest Academic Progress Rate results Wednesday, touting continued improvement by athletes in the classroom overall - even in two sports that have traditionally lagged - while acknowledging that lower-resource schools are struggling to perform.
- The Latest: So far, so French at French Open Updated: May-27-15 12:40 pm
PARIS - The Latest from the French Open:
- Heather Butler returns to UT Martin, joins coaching staff Updated: May-27-15 11:44 am
MARTIN, Tennessee - Heather Butler, the leading scorer in UT Martin history, is returning to her alma mater as part of the Skyhawks' coaching staff.
- Venus Williams fined at French Open after snubbing media Updated: May-27-15 4:24 am
PARIS - Venus Williams has been fined $3,000 by tournament organizers for not showing up at a news conference following her first-round exit at the French Open.
- WNBA's Johnson: Didn't expect arrest after Griner fight Updated: May-27-15 2:27 am
TULSA, Oklahoma - Glory Johnson had no idea her fight with then-fiancee Brittney Griner would become such a big deal.
- College coach files sex discrimination lawsuit over pay Updated: May-27-15 1:18 am
CAMDEN, New Jersey - The men's lacrosse coach at a southern New Jersey university has filed a sex discrimination lawsuit against the school.
- WNBA's Mystics, Lynx participate in analytic scrimmage Updated: May-26-15 6:26 pm
WASHINGTON - Ted Leonsis has turned to analytics in his search for ways to broaden the appeal of the WNBA.
- Jannah Tucker planning to transfer from Tennessee Updated: May-26-15 5:19 pm
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - Guard Jannah Tucker is planning to transfer from Tennessee.
- New investigation launched into Illinois player allegations Updated: May-26-15 5:18 pm
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - The University of Illinois hired a Chicago law firm Tuesday and asked it to launch a second investigation into accusations of mistreatment made by the parents of former women's basketball players.
- Maryland G Lexie Brown leaves school Updated: May-26-15 5:12 pm
COLLEGE PARK, Maryland - Maryland guard Lexie Brown has decided to leave the school after two seasons.
- Emerging Auburn, powerhouse Alabama heading to WCWS Updated: May-26-15 4:54 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Clint Myers has swiftly fulfilled his promise to take Auburn to the Women's College World Series while Alabama and Patrick Murphy are making one of their frequent visits.
- Usain Bolt wins 200 at cold, wet Golden Spike meet Updated: May-26-15 4:17 pm
OSTRAVA, Czech Republic - Usain Bolt cruised to victory in the 200 meters race at the Golden Spike meet on Tuesday, as the Jamaican star prepares for the world championships after a season marred by injuries.
- Record-setting scoring changes face of college softball Updated: May-26-15 4:11 pm
The pitchers' duels that once dominated college softball are less common with teams across the country scoring runs and hitting homers at unprecedented levels.
- Arkansas' Lopez finishes second in NCAA golf tournament Updated: May-26-15 1:48 pm
FAYETTEVILLE, Arkansas - Gabriela Lopez of Arkansas finished as the national runnerup in this year's NCAA women's golf tournament in Bradenton, Florida.
- Hutchinson women's basketball team under investigation Updated: May-26-15 1:43 pm
HUTCHINSON, Kansas - The Hutchinson Community College women's basketball team is under investigation for alleged improper benefits to players.
- Coaches named for Arkansas all-star games in spring sports Updated: May-26-15 1:38 pm
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The Arkansas High School Coaches Association has named the staffs for this summer's all-star games in baseball, soccer and softball.
- Gustafson, McBride join Europe as Solheim Cup vice captains Updated: May-26-15 7:09 am