- NYC's first fan: A ballgame with Mayor Bill de Blasio Updated: Aug-31-15 6:27 am
NEW YORK - He sat in the upper deck, basically unrecognized amid a sea of happy baseball fans. He let out a cheer when the best hitter on his favorite team smoked a home run and diligently scanned the out-of-town scoreboard to consider playoff implications. And he waited his turn in the long Citi Field men's room line, just one more fan spending a hot summer day watching the Mets and the Red Sox play.
- Sun spots: Trout, Angels swept in Cleveland with 9-2 loss Updated: Aug-31-15 3:44 am
CLEVELAND - Mike Trout and the Los Angeles Angels have a more pressing concern than the AL wild-card race: They need to win their next game to avoid falling below .500.
- Flores helps Mets surge in fascinating deadline postscript Updated: Aug-31-15 2:57 am
For the New York Mets, August has been like a dream, and nothing sums up their charmed life better than the saga of Wilmer Flores.
- After coming so close, Arrieta notches his 1st no-hitter Updated: Aug-31-15 2:48 am
LOS ANGELES - Jake Arrieta had been building toward this moment. He'd come achingly close to holding opponents hitless three times last year in a breakout season with the Chicago Cubs.
- Arrieta pitches no-hitter for Cubs in 2-0 win over Dodgers Updated: Aug-31-15 1:23 am
LOS ANGELES - Even after pitching his first career no-hitter, Jake Arrieta wasn't too big to wear his PJs.
- Dodgers no-hit for 2nd time in 10 days with 2-0 loss to Cubs Updated: Aug-31-15 1:11 am
LOS ANGELES - This isn't how the Los Angeles Dodgers wanted to go into a crucial three-game series against the second-place Giants.
- LEADING OFF: Giants, Dodgers face off; Salazar back from bug Updated: Aug-30-15 11:35 pm
A look at what's happening all around the major leagues Monday:
- Jake Arrieta of Cubs working on no-hitter against Dodgers Updated: Aug-30-15 10:42 pm
- AP Source: Indians president Shapiro leaving for Blue Jays Updated: Aug-30-15 10:41 pm
CLEVELAND - Mark Shapiro worked his way up from the bottom in Cleveland's front office, becoming one of baseball's most respected executives.
- Switch-pitcher Venditte gets 1st win, A's top D-backs in 11 Updated: Aug-30-15 10:33 pm
PHOENIX - A frigid beer shower never felt better to Pat Venditte, the switch-pitcher's reward for his first major league win at age 30.
- Closer Ziegler falters in 11th, A's top Diamondbacks 7-4 Updated: Aug-30-15 10:11 pm
PHOENIX - Arizona manager Chip Hale couldn't hide his frustration after the Diamondbacks finished a 1-6 homestand that dropped them four games under .500.
- Guyer, Kiermaier hit HRs help Rays beat Royals 3-2 Updated: Aug-30-15 10:06 pm
- Indians owner Paul Dolan looking for minority investor Updated: Aug-30-15 10:04 pm
CLEVELAND - Indians owner Paul Dolan is looking for a minority investment partner for his franchise.
- Byrd has big day in Giants' 7-5 loss to Cardinals Updated: Aug-30-15 9:09 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Marlon Byrd said there was only one way he could have enjoyed his 38th birthday more.
- Cubs don 1-piece pajamas at end of West Coast trip Updated: Aug-30-15 8:35 pm
LOS ANGELES - With the Cubs wrapping up a six-game West Coast trip, it was time for manager Joe Maddon to break out the pajamas.
- Saladino lifts White Sox to 6-5 win over Mariners Updated: Aug-30-15 8:30 pm
CHICAGO - The Chicago White Sox have turned to several rookies during their lackluster season.
- O's keep slipping back with 6-0 loss to Rangers, Holland Updated: Aug-30-15 8:23 pm
ARLINGTON, Texas - Baltimore slugger Chris Davis took a big swing and missed, the bat flying out of his hands and helicoptering toward the right-field line.
- Miller's error costs Mariners in 6-5 loss to White Sox Updated: Aug-30-15 7:55 pm
CHICAGO - With two outs in the ninth, shortstop Brad Miller just had to make a routine throw to first base.
- Yankees ride trio of 2-out HRs to 20-6 runaway over Braves Updated: Aug-30-15 7:54 pm
ATLANTA - New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi says baseball "has a way of evening out."
- Braves' woes continue in 'demoralizing' 20-6 loss to Yankees Updated: Aug-30-15 7:47 pm
ATLANTA - A Braves team that was at .500 through 84 games has since been in a downward slide that gained speed with three straight losses to the Yankees.
- Marlins jump to early lead, but fall 7-4 to Nationals Updated: Aug-30-15 7:39 pm
WASHINGTON - With his team long out of contention and slugger Giancarlo Stanton nearing his return, Marlins manager Dan Jennings is embracing his team's role as spoilers in the NL East playoff race.
- Carpenter, Moss, Reynolds homer as Cardinals beat Giants 7-5 Updated: Aug-30-15 7:32 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Matt Carpenter, Brandon Moss and Mark Reynolds all hit home runs, Yadier Molina drove in two and the St. Louis Cardinals beat the San Francisco Giants 7-5 on Sunday.
- Turner Field US flag at half-staff after fan dies in fall Updated: Aug-30-15 7:28 pm
- Holland Ks 11 for Texas in 6-0 win over O's for 3-game sweep Updated: Aug-30-15 7:19 pm
ARLINGTON, Texas - Derek Holland noticed how quiet it suddenly got after the final pitch of his eighth career shutout for the Texas Rangers
- Slumping Tigers get swept, lose 9-2 to Blue Jays Updated: Aug-30-15 7:09 pm
TORONTO - Still stinging from being swept by the power-packed Blue Jays, the slumping Detroit Tigers don't have much to look forward to. Up next, a trip to Kansas City to face the AL-leading Royals.