- Ohio football team gets live tiger mascot for season opener Updated: Aug-28-15 7:45 am
MASSILLON, Ohio - An Ohio high school football team that's had a live tiger cub at games for decades has kicked off the season with its traditional mascot, even though the boosters haven't proved they'd meet stricter state rules for keeping exotic animals.
- Pick 6: Heisman hopefuls short on preseason hype Updated: Aug-28-15 3:05 am
Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota broke a Heisman Trophy trend last season by winning the award after being considered the preseason favorite.
- Fayetteville, Pine Bluff, PA atop Arkansas football polls Updated: Aug-28-15 2:08 am
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Last season's Class 7A runner-up, Fayetteville, is a near-unanimous pick as the top team in Arkansas in the preseason Associated Press high school football poll.
- Programs run into pitfalls with fining college players Updated: Aug-28-15 12:56 am
Take away game tickets for missing class. Hold back a bowl gift for being late. Maybe even dock a player his $15 per diem for skipping study hall.
- Cal hires Andre Carter as student assistant coach Updated: Aug-28-15 12:41 am
BERKELEY, California - Former California and NFL star Andre Carter has returned to the Golden Bears' football program as a student assistant coach.
- NC State RB Shadrach Thornton suspended for 1st 2 games Updated: Aug-27-15 11:15 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina State suspended rushing leader Shadrach Thornton for two games Thursday for a violation of athletic department rules.
- Fresno State suspends Lazarus, Moliga for opener Updated: Aug-27-15 10:03 pm
FRESNO, California - Fresno State has suspended linebacker Michael Lazarus and running back Chris Moliga for its Sept. 3 opener against Abilene Christian because of violations of athletic department policy.
- Chryst, Wisconsin starting to focus No. 3 Alabama Updated: Aug-27-15 9:53 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - First-year coach Paul Chryst and the Wisconsin Badgers are starting to focus on their opener against No. 3 Alabama on Sept. 5 in Arlington, Texas.
- Defense dominates in Missouri's final scrimmage Updated: Aug-27-15 9:38 pm
COLUMBIA, Missouri - Defense dominated with three interceptions, seven sacks and 15 tackles for loss in No. 24 Missouri's final scrimmage Thursday night.
- A week before opener, Harbaugh still quiet on QB competition Updated: Aug-27-15 9:24 pm
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - Don't expect any announcement on Michigan's starting quarterback before next week.
- Colorado State, Florida set game as part of coach's buyout Updated: Aug-27-15 9:14 pm
GAINESVILLE, Florida - Colorado State and Florida will play in 2018 as part of coach Jim McElwain's hefty buyout.
- Georgia QB battle appears to be between Ramsey, Lambert Updated: Aug-27-15 8:26 pm
ATHENS, Georgia - The competition to be Georgia's starting quarterback appears to be down to Brice Ramsey and Greyson Lambert.
- NCAA rules Notre Dame DE Williams ineligible for season Updated: Aug-27-15 7:36 pm
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - Notre Dame football coach Brian Kelly says defensive end Ishaq Williams has been ruled ineligible for the season by the NCAA, ending his college playing career.
- Florida offensive tackle Martez Ivey out with leg injury Updated: Aug-27-15 6:24 pm
GAINESVILLE, Florida - Florida offensive tackle Martez Ivey, the prized recruit of coach Jim McElwain's first class, is sidelined indefinitely with a leg injury.
- Florida Gators to play 2 quarterbacks in season opener Updated: Aug-27-15 6:21 pm
GAINESVILLE, Florida - Florida's quarterback competition will stretch into the season.
- Duke's Pierre adjusting to switch from QB to RB Updated: Aug-27-15 6:03 pm
DURHAM, North Carolina - Nico Pierre might be Duke's quarterback of the future. Right now he's the Blue Devils' backup running back of the present.
- FCS power North Dakota St to provide athlete stipends Updated: Aug-27-15 5:54 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - Football Championship Subdivision powerhouse North Dakota State said Thursday it will provide thousands of dollars in stipends to scholarship athletes in all 16 sports beginning next year, a move that could persuade other mid-majors to follow suit.
- Oklahoma State optimistic after strong finish last season Updated: Aug-27-15 5:44 pm
STILLWATER, Oklahoma - Oklahoma State is optimistic after a strong finish last season.
- Arkansas RB Williams most likely headed to NFL after season Updated: Aug-27-15 4:49 pm
FAYETTEVILLE, Arkansas - Jonathan Williams has consistently earned the praise of teammates and coaches over the years for his selfless nature.
- No. 25 Vols lose McNeil to injury, suspend Howard for 1 game Updated: Aug-27-15 4:39 pm
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - Tennessee safety LaDarrell McNeil is out indefinitely and wide receiver Alton "Pig" Howard has been suspended for the season opener, continuing a series of preseason hits to the Volunteers' depth.
- Bowl Eligible? South Carolina looking to host 1st bowl game Updated: Aug-27-15 4:18 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - Organizers of the annual college all-star game held in South Carolina are confident the contest known as The Medal of Honor Bowl will become the state's first traditional bowl game now that the Confederate flag no longer flies on Statehouse grounds.
- Harbaugh discusses recent phone conversation with Jordan Updated: Aug-27-15 3:57 pm
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - Jim Harbaugh is quite a celebrity these days, but even he was taken aback when he received a phone call recently from Michael Jordan.
- Penn State hopes Hamilton's success at wideout trickles down Updated: Aug-27-15 2:06 pm
STATE COLLEGE, Pennsylvania - When DaeSean Hamilton made his college football debut last season, he looked like a man trying to make up for lost time.
- Looking to future, more NCAA athletes seek own trademarks Updated: Aug-27-15 10:22 am
BOSTON - Like their counterparts in the pros, more college football stars are starting to snatch up trademark rights to their names, nicknames and fan slogans.
- Smoke from wildfires could delay Montana football games Updated: Aug-27-15 5:26 am
KALISPELL, Montana - Some Montana sports teams have moved practice indoors and could be forced to delay games because of air quality alerts.