- Texas Senate votes to scrap high school steroids testing Updated: May-04-15 1:28 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The Texas Senate has voted to scrap the state's high school steroids testing program after more than 60,000 tests caught just a handful of cheaters since 2007.
- Texas the front line on high school ECG debate Updated: May-03-15 2:52 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Cody Stephens was trying to shed some of the 290 pounds from his 6-foot-9 frame before graduating high school and attending his first college football training camp three summers ago when he took a nap and didn't wake up. The autopsy showed he had an enlarged heart, which gave out.
- Vikings turn focus to offense, targeting versatile linemen Updated: May-02-15 8:56 pm
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minnesota - Their defense fortified with the first three rounds of the NFL draft, the Minnesota Vikings turned Saturday to other side of the ball.
- Broncos stick with theme of toughness, athleticism Updated: May-02-15 8:36 pm
ENGLEWOOD, Colorado - Grouching that the Denver Broncos hadn't gone out "kicking and screaming" in the playoffs the last three seasons, John Elway set out to toughen up a team that featured 11 Pro Bowlers but went out with a whimper.
- Jaguars DE Dante Fowler Jr. chooses No. 56 in ode to RB days Updated: May-02-15 3:27 pm
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - Flashing a huge smile and wearing much more casual attire than he donned at the NFL draft, new Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end Dante Fowler Jr. held up his No. 56 jersey while posing for pictures Saturday.
- Texas launches anti-assault program for high school athletes Updated: May-01-15 1:48 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas state education officials and high school coaches on Friday launched a program aimed at student athletes to prevent and raise awareness of sexual assault and domestic abuse.
- Former SEC football player charged in death of Georgia boy Updated: Apr-30-15 12:14 pm
LAWRENCEVILLE, Georgia - Police have charged a former Southeastern Conference football player with killing a 4-year-old boy.
- Miami of Ohio point guard headed to NFL as defensive back Updated: Apr-28-15 5:36 pm
CINCINNATI - Coach Chuck Martin needed only a few minutes of watching basketball practice in December 2013 to realize he had quite an unexpected find on his hands.
- Winners in annual Texas AP Broadcasters contests Updated: Apr-25-15 10:37 pm
- Fired North Little Rock High School football coach suing Updated: Apr-25-15 12:41 pm
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The former North Little Rock High School football coach has filed a lawsuit against that district over his firing earlier this month.
- Rankin school board votes down new football facility Updated: Apr-23-15 10:13 am
BRANDON, Mississippi - After a year of talks of building a new football facility for Brandon High School, the school board has voted 3-2 against the estimated $9.7 million project.
- Student charged with assaulting high school football coach Updated: Apr-22-15 10:52 am
MURFREESBORO, Tennessee - Authorities say a high school football coach in Middle Tennessee is recovering at a hospital after a student attacked him in his office.
- Worn-out football field spikes parents' safety concerns Updated: Apr-22-15 10:11 am
MERIDIAN, Idaho - Parents and school officials are weighing the cost of replacing the aging turf on Meridian High School's football field.
- IHSA to vote on rules to limit contact in football practice Updated: Apr-22-15 4:03 am
BLOOMINGTON, Illinois - The Illinois High School Association is expected to vote in June on new rules that would limit the amount of full-contact practice allowed for high school football teams.
- SD high school football to use different power point system Updated: Apr-21-15 4:08 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - The board of directors of the South Dakota High School Activities Association has endorsed a plan that will change the power point structure in high school football.
- Fox NASCAR announcer Steve Byrnes dies of cancer at age 56 Updated: Apr-21-15 3:11 pm
NEW YORK - Fox NASCAR announcer Steve Byrnes has died. He was 56.
- UCLA recruit arrested on charge he fled from police Updated: Apr-19-15 6:57 pm
KEMP, Texas - A highly recruited Texas high school running back has been arrested in a town east of Dallas after authorities say he fled police in a vehicle.
- World's 'Foliage Capital' planting different seeds of growth Updated: Apr-19-15 1:41 am
APOPKA, Florida - Take a drive through Apopka and you're likely to see a scene not much different from a decade or two ago.
- Prep school football player collapses during training, dies Updated: Apr-18-15 6:19 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Officials at a north Philadelphia prep school say a football player collapsed during spring conditioning training with the team and later died.
- New England editorial roundup Updated: Apr-18-15 8:06 am
The Hartford (Conn.) Courant, April 15, 2015
- GA school sports officials vote to limit football drills Updated: Apr-14-15 6:41 pm
MACON, Georgia - The Georgia High School Sports Association's executive committee has voted to cap the time football teams can use on certain drills to try improving athlete safety.
- Bernie Dolan named West Virginia SSAC executive director Updated: Apr-14-15 6:21 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Whether it's joining the social media movement or advancing the latest techniques in athletes' health, new Secondary School Activities Commission executive director Bernie Dolan wants the governing body for interscholastic sports in West Virginia to improve how it lets the public know what it's doing.
- Illinois group says concussions lawsuit 'threatens' football Updated: Apr-13-15 4:50 pm
CHICAGO - The nation's first prep sports governing body to face a class-action concussions lawsuit has asked an Illinois judge to dismiss the suit, arguing that if it prevails, it could kill football programs statewide.
- North Little Rock coach fired by school board Updated: Apr-10-15 4:23 pm
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - District officials have unanimously voted to fire North Little Rock High School's football coach Brad Bolding, who is accused of recruitment and purchasing violations.
- Oklahoma City school board considers leasing stadium Updated: Apr-07-15 4:40 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma City Public Schools board members are considering leasing the newly renovated C.B. Speegle Stadium at Capitol Hill High School to a semi-pro football team.