- GB Packers tight end Quarless charged with firing a gun Updated: Jul-04-15 5:24 pm
MIAMI BEACH, Florida - Green Bay Packers tight end Andrew Quarless was arrested Saturday after police said he allegedly fired two shots into the air during an argument outside a Miami Beach parking garage, authorities said.
- Patrick grassroots board dissolves amid tea party grumbling Updated: Jul-03-15 6:46 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The grassroots advisory board Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick set up as a sounding board for his tea party constituency is dissolving after a legislative session that left the leadership of that constituency dissatisfied.
- Pols: NJ casino expansion vote likely not happening in fall Updated: Jul-03-15 5:39 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - New Jersey lawmakers say there is almost no chance a statewide vote on whether to expand casino gambling beyond Atlantic City will be held this fall.
- Turner takes leading role on UNC's veteran offensive line Updated: Jul-03-15 12:36 pm
CHAPEL HILL, North Carolina - The way coach Larry Fedora sees it, Landon Turner is the perfect leader for North Carolina's offensive line.
- Australian academy prepares punters for US college football Updated: Jul-03-15 11:59 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - The fog is still lifting off a deserted playing field on the outskirts of this southern Australian city as 10 aspiring college football punters begin their morning drills.
- Longtime Lions stalwart Charlie Sanders dies at age 68 Updated: Jul-02-15 10:21 pm
DETROIT - Hall of Fame tight end Charlie Sanders epitomized Detroit's blue-collar roots.
- Gates, Richardson, McClain each get 4-game NFL suspensions Updated: Jul-02-15 7:21 pm
Three-time All-Pro tight end Antonio Gates of San Diego will be suspended the first four games of the 2015 season along with New York Jets defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson and Dallas linebacker Rolando McClain for violating NFL drug policies.
- Chargers tight end Antonio Gates suspended 4 games Updated: Jul-02-15 6:29 pm
SAN DIEGO - Antonio Gates' squeaky-clean image took a big hit Thursday when the San Diego Chargers' star tight end was suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2015 season for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances.
- Hall of Fame tight end Charlie Sanders dies at age 68 Updated: Jul-02-15 5:36 pm
DETROIT - The Detroit Lions say Hall of Fame tight end Charlie Sanders has died at age 68.
- Texans release rookie Ivory after burglary charges Updated: Jul-02-15 5:18 pm
HOUSTON - The Houston Texans have released defensive lineman Brandon Ivory a day after he was charged in a residential burglary in Tuscaloosa.
- Jets' Richardson suspended 1st 4 games of season Updated: Jul-02-15 4:59 pm
NEW YORK - New York Jets defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson has been suspended without pay for the first four games of the regular season on Thursday for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.
- Packers pass rusher Datone Jones suspended for season opener Updated: Jul-02-15 4:48 pm
GREEN BAY, Wisconsin - Packers defensive end Datone Jones has been suspended for the first game this season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.
- Cowboys LB Rolando McClain suspended 1st 4 games of season Updated: Jul-02-15 3:57 pm
IRVING, Texas - Cowboys linebacker Rolando McClain has been suspended for the first four games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, putting two key Dallas defenders on the sideline to start the season with pass rusher Greg Hardy's 10-game ban.
- Ohio State marching band will visit London for NFL event Updated: Jul-02-15 2:09 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio State University's marching band is ramping up to appear this fall at the NFL International Series in London. It is the group's first-ever trip abroad.
- Former NFL star tackles overgrown field for football camp Updated: Jul-02-15 2:19 am
HIGHLAND PARK, Michigan - The weeds and wild grass rose well above Reggie McKenzie's knees as the former NFL star walked the field bearing his name in the small Detroit enclave of Highland Park. With two weeks until the start of the youth football camp he's been running for four decades, the city-owned field had yet to be mowed - and something had to be done.
- Jets help decorated veteran get smart home Updated: Jul-02-15 12:22 am
Wounded veteran Sgt. Adam Keys on Wednesday received the keys to a customized high-tech smart home in Annapolis, Maryland designed to ensure his independence.
- WWE seeking to block concussion-related lawsuits Updated: Jul-01-15 10:41 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. is asking a federal judge to block lawsuits by former wrestlers who claim they have suffered long-term health problems from concussions they received in the ring.
- Former sports writer and publicist Jack Disney dies at 80 Updated: Jul-01-15 7:50 pm
ARCADIA, California - Jack Disney, a longtime sports writer with the old Los Angeles Herald Examiner who later worked in publicity at two Southern California horse racing tracks, has died. He was 80.
- Steelers interested in hosting 2023 Super Bowl Updated: Jul-01-15 6:09 pm
PITTSBURGH - The Pittsburgh Steelers are hoping to turn the 2023 Super Bowl into a home game.
- Redskins' name hinders DC's efforts for stadium site lease Updated: Jul-01-15 5:50 pm
WASHINGTON - The National Park Service won't grant the District of Columbia a new lease for the site of the Washington Redskins' old stadium in part because Interior Secretary Sally Jewell opposes the team's name.
- Ex-NFL player pleads guilty in hit-and-run, gets probation Updated: Jul-01-15 5:05 pm
WRENTHAM, Massachusetts - Former Buffalo Bills and New England Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes has pleaded guilty in a hit-and-run crash that injured three people and will serve a year of probation.
- Houston Texans lineman Brandon Ivory charged in burglary Updated: Jul-01-15 4:56 pm
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - Houston Texans defensive lineman Brandon Ivory has been charged in what police describe as a residential burglary in Tuscaloosa.
- Pom-pom pay: California bill gives cheerleaders minimum wage Updated: Jul-01-15 4:10 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - They boost their teams from the sidelines and promote them by appearing in calendars and at fan events, but some sports cheerleaders say they are still not considered team employees and are paid what amounts to less than minimum wage.
- Offensive tackle Hunter attempts to revive career with Bills Updated: Jul-01-15 2:54 pm
ORCHARD PARK, New York - The Buffalo Bills are providing offensive tackle Wayne Hunter an opportunity to revive his career.
- Worker injured at Falcons stadium construction site Updated: Jul-01-15 2:50 pm
ATLANTA - Authorities say a construction worker has been injured by a falling piece of scaffolding at the Atlanta Falcons stadium construction site.