- Pope presses case for adequate, dignified housing in Nairobi Updated: Nov-26-15 10:48 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Pope Francis is visiting a slum on Nairobi's northwestern edge to press his call for adequate and dignified housing for society's most marginal, especially in burgeoning megacities like the Kenyan capital.
- The Latest: Pope heads to Nairobi slum Friday Updated: Nov-26-15 10:43 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - The latest on Pope Francis' first trip to Africa. (All times local.)
- Polish minister: Country against further gas emission cuts Updated: Nov-25-15 12:20 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's new environment minister said Wednesday he is against further cuts in carbon gas emissions, a key topic during climate talks next week in Paris.
- Xi to give speech at opening of Paris climate conference Updated: Nov-25-15 1:38 am
BEIJING - President Xi Jinping will speak at a key climate change conference in Paris later this month, before making state visits to South Africa and Zimbabwe, officials announced Wednesday.
- The Latest: France says it has struck IS center in Iraq Updated: Nov-24-15 4:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest on President Barack Obama's meeting with French President Francois Hollande at the White House on the fight against the Islamic State group:
- Obama to meet with leaders of China, India at climate summit Updated: Nov-24-15 4:01 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is hoping to generate early momentum for international climate talks in Paris next week by holding one-on-one meetings there with the leaders of China and India.
- Baltimore mayor heading to Paris for climate conference Updated: Nov-24-15 11:40 am
BALTIMORE - Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake is headed to Paris next week for the United Nations' climate change conference.
- German financial giant Allianz slashes coal investments Updated: Nov-24-15 6:25 am
BERLIN - Germany's Allianz SE, one of the world's largest financial asset managers, said Tuesday it would over the next six months decrease investments in companies using coal and boost funding on those focused on wind power.
- New York plots path to renewable energy goal Updated: Nov-23-15 3:35 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York is taking steps to accomplish Gov. Andrew Cuomo's goal of generating half the state's electricity from renewable sources by 2030.
- UW-Madison student: Winning Rhodes scholarship 'surreal' Updated: Nov-22-15 6:01 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - A University of Wisconsin-Madison student said Sunday he plans to use his Rhodes scholarship to study how governments can better focus their environmental policies on meeting people's needs.
- Q&A: Michigan debates increased energy-efficiency programs Updated: Nov-22-15 4:11 am
LANSING, Michigan - A centerpiece of Gov. Rick Snyder's long-range energy plan derives from a simple premise - using less.
- UN official: Over 120 leaders to attend Paris climate summit Updated: Nov-20-15 10:50 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The attacks in Paris are affecting crucial climate change talks in the French capital starting later this month, but more than 120 world leaders strongly support the conference and have confirmed they will attend, a senior U.N. official said Friday.
- OECD countries to limit overseas financing for coal plants Updated: Nov-18-15 10:06 pm
TOKYO - A compromise struck by the United States, Japan and other major nations will restrict export financing to build coal power plants overseas, but not eliminate it completely.
- Analysis: Polarized politics dictated Obama Keystone call Updated: Nov-09-15 1:06 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama's decision to block the Keystone XL oil pipeline has exposed an endlessly polarized Washington, and likely hardened its divides.
- UK: In 1st, global temps average could be 1 degree C higher Updated: Nov-09-15 11:37 am
STOCKHOLM - This year is on track to be a record 1 degree Celsius (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit) hotter than the 19th-century average, hitting a symbolic milestone in the temperature rise that scientists blame mostly on human activities, Britain's weather service said Monday.
- China promises action on climate ahead of Paris talks Updated: Nov-09-15 2:56 am
BEIJING - China has changed course and emerged as a leader in curbing greenhouse gas emissions six years after it was accused of obstructing the last high-level climate talks in Copenhagen.
- McCrory environment agency confronts critics, pushes policy Updated: Nov-08-15 3:26 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - For years, North Carolina's environmental agency usually stayed out of the public discourse, quietly carrying out the will of the General Assembly and the mandates of states and federal policymakers and the current gubernatorial administration.
- World Bank: Climate change could result in 100 million poor Updated: Nov-08-15 3:21 pm
STOCKHOLM - Climate change could push more than 100 million people into extreme poverty by 2030 by disrupting agriculture and fueling the spread of malaria and other diseases, the World Bank said in a report Sunday.
- Putin to join more than 100 leaders at Paris climate talks Updated: Nov-08-15 11:41 am
LE BOURGET, France - More than 100 world leaders will attend the upcoming U.N. climate conference in Paris, including Russian President Vladimir Putin, France's foreign minister said Sunday during a three-day ministerial meeting in the capital to prepare the negotiations.
- In Keystone snub, Obama tries to lockdown his climate legacy Updated: Nov-07-15 8:40 am
WASHINGTON - For years, President Barack Obama chided Republicans and Democrats alike for treating the Keystone XL pipeline as a signal of whether the U.S. would seriously fight global warming. Now that he's killed the project, Obama is holding it up as Exhibit A as he works to lock in his environmental legacy with a powerful international climate accord.
- UN report raises ceiling for greenhouse gas pollution Updated: Nov-06-15 4:07 pm
STOCKHOLM - The U.N.'s environmental authority has quietly raised its assessment of the level at which global greenhouse gas emissions must peak to avoid dangerous climate change, as governments seek a new accord to fight global warming.
- UN head: Climate summit success now rests with world leaders Updated: Nov-04-15 4:59 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Key issues remaining ahead of a major climate summit in Paris this month "have proven too challenging for negotiators to resolve on their own," and responsibility for its success now rests with world leaders, the U.N. secretary-general said Wednesday.
- Paris and other cities want voices heard at climate talks Updated: Nov-04-15 2:47 pm
PARIS - Michael Bloomberg and mayors of large world cities want to weigh in on upcoming U.N. climate negotiations with their local experiences in fighting global warming.
- French weatherman fired after slamming climate conference Updated: Nov-02-15 2:33 pm
PARIS - A weather forecaster for French state television has been fired after releasing and promoting a book criticizing politicians, scientists and others for what he calls an exaggerated view of climate change.
- China, France say climate pact should have 5-year reviews Updated: Nov-02-15 8:46 am
BEIJING - The Chinese and French presidents announced Monday they have agreed that a global climate change pact should require countries to review their emissions pledges every five years, in an important signal four weeks before world leaders meet in Paris.