- Petitions filed to allow medical marijuana use in Missouri Updated: Oct-08-15 5:29 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - The first step to put medical marijuana to a statewide vote next year came Thursday, with supporters filing initiative petitions with the Missouri secretary of state.
- Illinois approves 3,100 medical marijuana patients Updated: Oct-08-15 4:05 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois is continuing to approve patients to use medical marijuana, with about 100 more approval letters sent in September.
- Michigan House OKs bill to tax, regulate medical marijuana Updated: Oct-07-15 10:31 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan would tax and regulate medical marijuana in a tiered licensing system similar to alcohol under legislation passed Wednesday by the House, where advocates said action is necessary due to confusion surrounding the legality of dispensary businesses and non-smokable forms of the drug.
- Illinois panel OKs medical marijuana for 8 health conditions Updated: Oct-07-15 4:47 pm
COUNTRYSIDE, Illinois - An advisory board voted Wednesday to add eight health conditions - including chronic pain syndrome, autism, osteoarthritis and post-traumatic stress disorder - to the list of illnesses that can be treated by medical marijuana in Illinois.
- Bill would expand Right to Try Act to include marijuana Updated: Oct-07-15 4:44 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A pair of Republican lawmakers who helped author a bill to make a certain strain of marijuana permissible for treatment is seeking to go one step further.
- At 'home' in Peru, World Bank chief unfazed by slower growth Updated: Oct-07-15 8:38 am
CARABAYLLO, Peru - In the 1990s, Jim Yong Kim would climb the dusty streets and hillsides of this sprawling slum outside Peru's capital distributing expensive pharmaceutical drugs he'd brought hidden in his luggage to tuberculosis patients. Residents recall the Harvard-trained physician as a smiling do-gooder with basic Spanish and shoes permanently caked with dust.
- Washington County approves medical marijuana facility plan Updated: Oct-07-15 6:49 am
HAGERSTOWN, Maryland - A medical marijuana company has won site-plan approval for a proposed facility near Hagerstown.
- New Mexico OKs medical marijuana farm near Roswell Updated: Oct-07-15 5:01 am
ROSWELL, New Mexico - The New Mexico Department of Health has approved several applications to grow medical marijuana in the state, including a hotly debated proposed farm near Roswell.
- Luxury birthing clinics spur cesarean 'epidemic' in Brazil Updated: Oct-07-15 12:06 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Thais Faria sank into a leather love seat, relaxing under the ministrations first of a masseuse, then a manicurist and finally a hairdresser-cum-makeup artist. Not 24 hours after her daughter was born via cesarean, Faria was being pampered at an upscale Rio de Janeiro maternity clinic.
- Medicaid plan gets first public hearing but no vote yet Updated: Oct-06-15 10:25 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - State lawmakers held the first public hearing Tuesday evening on a new plan to help thousands of Utah's poor get health insurance by expanding Medicaid. They didn't take any action on the plan, however, after hearing hours of testimony from doctors, advocates for the poor and more.
- Express Scripts to cover pricey new cholesterol treatments Updated: Oct-06-15 8:32 pm
The nation's biggest pharmacy benefits manager has decided to cover two new drugs that lower artery-clogging cholesterol but raise concern over prices that can top $14,000 a year.
- Central Ohio to get marijuana facility if Issue 3 passes Updated: Oct-06-15 2:37 pm
CLEVELAND - Officials say a new marijuana advocacy group will build a $24 million research facility in central Ohio and offer medical marijuana insurance if voters pass a constitutional amendment legalizing pot.
- New Mexico to license 12 new medical marijuana producers Updated: Oct-05-15 5:36 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The New Mexico Department of Health says it will issue licenses to a dozen new producers as part of the state's medical marijuana program.
- What's in the defense bill for military and families? Updated: Oct-05-15 3:28 pm
WASHINGTON - Buried in the 1,915-page defense policy bill are significant changes that could affect more than 1 million members of the military and their families.
- Experts: Rural Nebraska lacks access to mental health care Updated: Oct-05-15 2:03 pm
GRAND ISLAND, Nebraska - Experts say the lack of access to mental health care in rural areas of Nebraska isn't improving.
- AP EXPLAINS: Steps to harvesting medical marijuana Updated: Oct-03-15 12:04 pm
ALBION, Illinois - Thousands of legal medical marijuana plants are growing under lights in a warehouse in Albion, a small southeastern Illinois city whose residents are more familiar with corn and soybeans. Ataraxia, which runs the facility, was the state's first cultivation company allowed to start growing plants. It has started harvesting and will be the first to deliver to licensed dispensaries throughout the state by mid-October. The Associated Press was given exclusive access to see the crop.
- AP Exclusive: Legal marijuana stirs hope in Illinois town Updated: Oct-03-15 12:03 pm
ALBION, Illinois - A skunky aroma fills the room in which hundreds of lush marijuana plants grow, some nearly ready for harvest. Grower Ashley Thompson, a former high school agriculture teacher in this rural part of southeastern Illinois, takes the scent of weed home with her.
- Supreme Court to review latest medical marijuana measure Updated: Oct-02-15 8:53 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A measure to legalize medical marijuana is going before the Florida Supreme Court.
- FDA expands Merck drug's approval to treat lung cancer Updated: Oct-02-15 4:51 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal health officials on Friday expanded approval of an innovative Merck drug to treat patients with an advanced form of the most common lung cancer.
- Workers prepare for opening of medical marijuana dispensary Updated: Oct-02-15 3:57 pm
BELLMAWR, New Jersey - Workers are weighing and stuffing cannabis in bags as part of the final preparations before southern New Jersey's newest medical marijuana dispensary opens its doors Monday.
- Illinois medical marijuana applicants trending female, older Updated: Oct-01-15 5:59 pm
CHICAGO - The patient most commonly seeking a doctor's blessing to use medical marijuana in Illinois is an older woman in Cook County with either severe fibromyalgia or cancer, according to data published Thursday in a report to the Legislature.
- State high court considers if pot law provides DWI immunity Updated: Oct-01-15 3:16 pm
SHOW LOW, Arizona - The Arizona Supreme Court is considering whether people with medical marijuana cards can be prosecuted for driving while having traces of marijuana in their system.
- Recreational pot users score bags of bud at Oregon shops Updated: Oct-01-15 2:14 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Excited shoppers looking to score some of the first recreational marijuana sold legally in Oregon bought up baggies of bud early Thursday, taking advantage of door-buster prices and other deals.
- Issue of 'surprise' medical bills stirs debate at hearing Updated: Oct-01-15 2:08 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Advocates for consumers, insurers, hospitals and doctors clashed at a state hearing on the issue of "surprise balance" bills for expensive out-of-network health-care services being sent to patients who thought their treatment was covered by their insurance network.
- News Guide: Oregon begins retail marijuana sales Updated: Oct-01-15 4:46 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - Marijuana stores in Oregon on Thursday began selling to anyone over 21, a major milestone in the decades-long movement to liberalize marijuana laws.