- Hawaii committee passes medical marijuana dispensaries bill Updated: May-04-15 9:16 pm
HONOLULU - Patients have waited nearly 15 years for legal access to medical marijuana in Hawaii, and they are now one step closer to reaching that goal.
- Louisiana Senate passes bill allowing medical marijuana Updated: May-04-15 8:53 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Roughly a year after a medical marijuana bill was shot down in committee, the Louisiana Senate on Monday passed a similar proposal that could get medical-grade pot to those suffering from cancer, glaucoma and a severe form of cerebral palsy.
- Illinois medical marijuana approved for PTSD, osteoarthritis Updated: May-04-15 5:25 pm
CHICAGO - Illinois' new medical marijuana program would cover thousands, perhaps millions, more patients under expansive recommendations that an advisory board agreed to Monday.
- Puerto Rico governor signs order to legalize medical pot Updated: May-03-15 8:35 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico's governor on Sunday signed an executive order to authorize the use of medical marijuana in the U.S. territory in an unexpected move following a lengthy public debate.
- Labor assists marijuana legalization effort in California Updated: May-03-15 3:43 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Organized labor is assisting efforts to frame a California ballot measure to legalize recreational marijuana use in the state, sensing an opportunity to expand its presence in the workplace.
- California lawmakers weigh rules for medicinal pot shops Updated: May-02-15 8:50 pm
LOS ANGELES - The California Legislature is considering multiple - and conflicting - plans to impose the first major statewide restrictions on medical marijuana dispensaries and growers.
- Former player seeks solution for NFL's concussion problem Updated: May-02-15 2:30 pm
CHICAGO - Former NFL defensive lineman Marvin Washington looks at Saturday's sports schedule and doesn't see such a spectacular lineup.
- SW Kansas mom finds herself at center of national pot debate Updated: May-02-15 1:50 pm
GARDEN CITY, Kansas - A southwest Kansas single mother who lost custody of her son for using medical marijuana to ease her Crohn's disease has gone from being a massage therapist eking out a living in the back of a health food store to a national figure at the center of the pot debate.
- Wolf opens door to running insurance marketplace Updated: May-01-15 4:40 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Gov. Tom Wolf's administration advanced plans Friday to maintain federal health insurance subsidies for nearly 400,000 Pennsylvanians ahead of a U.S. Supreme Court decision that could wipe out the aid to insurance buyers in some states.
- Judge rules against state in suit over medical marijuana Updated: May-01-15 2:19 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The New Mexico Department of Health may be reviewing its rules for medical marijuana patients after a judge ruled that the agency cannot require them to exhaust "standard treatments" before they receive cannabis.
- CVS Health tops Street forecasts, as 1Q earnings climb 8 pct Updated: May-01-15 12:16 pm
Pricey specialty drugs are helping CVS Health thrive after kicking tobacco sales, with revenue from the treatments pushing first-quarter earnings well above Wall Street expectations for the drugstore chain and pharmacy benefits manager.
- House adopts compromise GOP budget targeting 'Obamacare' Updated: Apr-30-15 8:33 pm
WASHINGTON - The House Thursday adopted a compromise GOP budget that promises to speed repeal of the President Barack Obama's health care law while giving the Pentagon an additional $38 billion next year.
- Tests find woman killed in shootout had drugs in her system Updated: Apr-30-15 8:09 pm
LAS VEGAS - A Las Vegas mother killed in a neighborhood shootout had a powerful pain medication and a common anti-anxiety muscle relaxant in her system before her organs were donated, according to blood test results cited Thursday by prosecution and defense attorneys.
- Oregon House passes bill targeting insurance confidentiality Updated: Apr-30-15 7:30 pm
SALEM, Oregon - The Oregon House advanced legislation Thursday allowing patients to have information about their medical benefits sent directly to them, and not to the insurance policyholder.
- House rejects bid to let VA docs give advice on medical pot Updated: Apr-30-15 7:26 pm
WASHINGTON - The GOP-controlled House Thursday barely rejected a bid by supporters of medical marijuana to permit veterans to receive information about the drug from their government doctors.
- Minnesota infant deaths reflect racial gap Updated: Apr-30-15 3:29 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A new report from Minnesota health officials says babies born to black mothers are more than twice as likely to die in infancy as children born to white mothers, giving the state one of the widest infant mortality gaps in the nation.
- Oklahoma governor signs legislation for cannabis oil trials Updated: Apr-30-15 2:41 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Legislation authorizing medical trials for children with severe forms of epilepsy by using an oil derived from the marijuana plant has been signed into law by Gov. Mary Fallin.
- Thursday is deadline for health coverage under tax extension Updated: Apr-30-15 5:41 am
MIAMI - Thursday is the last day to sign up for health insurance under the special tax-filing enrollment extension.
- Agreement elusive on Hawaii medical marijuana dispensaries Updated: Apr-29-15 10:50 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii lawmakers are disagreeing on a bill that would establish an islandwide system of medical marijuana dispensaries.
- After losses, Kentucky Sen. Alvarado rising quickly in GOP Updated: Apr-29-15 5:55 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Ralph Alvarado came back to politics after someone spray painted a racial slur on his front porch. He came back after an embarrassing 15-point loss to a Democrat in 2006. And he came back after an agonizingly close loss in 2010 that cost more than $100,000.
- Gov. Deal signs autism insurance bill for kids Updated: Apr-29-15 4:25 pm
ATLANTA - Many parents who have struggled to get medical help for their autistic children will now qualify for insurance coverage under a new law signed Wednesday by Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal.
- Mylan raises offer for Perrigo to $34.1B, or $232 per share Updated: Apr-29-15 1:40 pm
NEW YORK - Generic drugmaker Mylan raised its offer for over-the-counter medicines maker Perrigo Wednesday, but the Irish company again rejected Mylan's overture.
- Minnesota approves 2 labs to test medical pot Updated: Apr-29-15 12:57 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota has approved two labs to test the medical marijuana produced by the two manufacturers the state approved earlier.
- Anthem joins insurer crowd in beating Street 1Q expectations Updated: Apr-29-15 10:37 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Anthem's first-quarter earnings jumped 23 percent thanks in part to a spike in Medicaid enrollment, and it became the latest health insurer to raise its forecast for the year after breezing past Wall Street's expectations.
- Report: Insurers skirt health law's protections for women Updated: Apr-29-15 9:41 am
CHICAGO - Some insurance plans offered on the health overhaul law's new marketplaces violate the law's requirements for women's health, according to a new report from a women's legal advocacy group.