- Dayton calls December special election to fill House seat Updated: Aug-24-15 1:22 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Gov. Mark Dayton is calling a special election to fill an open seat in the House triggered by a veteran Democrat's death after a short battle with cancer.
- Alcohol sales vote sought in Ohio County's Beaver Dam Updated: Aug-24-15 9:52 am
BEAVER DAM, Kentucky - A western Kentucky man says he has nearly enough signatures to hold a special election on alcohol sales in the city of Beaver Dam.
- Nettleton mayor resigns, moves to Florida Updated: Aug-24-15 4:04 am
NETTLETON, Mississippi - Nettleton voters will select a new mayor in a Sept. 22 special election.
- Poll: Australian government faces backlash in by-election Updated: Aug-18-15 12:19 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's beleaguered prime minister faces a political test next month with an opinion poll on Tuesday showing his center-right party faces a large swing against it in a by-election in the nation's most conservative state.
- Correction: House-Special Election story Updated: Aug-13-15 11:26 am
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - In a story Aug. 12 about a special election for a House seat in Knox County, The Associated Press reported erroneously the impact of Karen Carson's defeat on the governor's proposal to extend health coverage to low-income residents. Her defeat means Republicans facing re-election are less likely to support the plan, not likely to support it.
- Democrats win 3 vacancies in Pennsylvania House Updated: Aug-11-15 11:10 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Three Philadelphia Democrats have won state House seats in special elections.
- Wife of late Sanford representative to run for his seat Updated: Aug-11-15 5:10 pm
SPRINGVALE, Maine - The wife of a former Maine House representative says she will run to fill the seat left open by his death last month.
- Oklahoma governor sets special election to replace senator Updated: Aug-11-15 7:43 am
OKLAHOMA CITY - Gov. Mary Fallin has called a special election to replace Republican state Sen. Rick Brinkley, who has announced he will resign at the end of the year.
- Arkansas town seeks creation of K-12 agriculture academy Updated: Aug-10-15 3:10 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Efforts by a northeast Arkansas town to keep its school district failed in 2010, but residents hope a new state law will help resurrect their school system as a K-12 agriculture academy.
- Ex-Toledo mayor making bid to return to office Updated: Aug-08-15 6:24 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - A former Toledo mayor is jumping into a crowded field in this year's special election for mayor in the state's fourth-largest city.
- Voters in 12 Ohio counties to vote in special elections Updated: Aug-04-15 3:05 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio voters in 12 counties will have the chance to weigh in on certain local issues during a special election on Tuesday.
- Race to replace convicted NY state senator's seat firms up Updated: Aug-03-15 3:41 pm
ALBANY, New York - Candidates from each of the major parties have emerged to campaign for a state Senate seat representing New York's Southern Tier after its previous occupant was convicted of lying to the FBI.
- Top Missouri senator Tom Dempsey to resign Updated: Jul-31-15 4:50 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri Senate President Pro Tem Tom Dempsey said Friday that he is resigning from office to launch a new private-sector career and spend more time with his family.
- Bryant sets special election for Claiborne school district Updated: Jul-29-15 8:40 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Claiborne County voters will elect a new school board on Nov. 3 as part of the process of returning the district to local control.
- Governor sets special election to fill open Assembly seat Updated: Jul-29-15 6:28 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker has scheduled a special election in September to fill a vacant southeastern Wisconsin state Assembly seat.