- Concern over lion hunting rises in South Africa Updated: Aug-04-15 9:34 am
JOHANNESBURG - Debate is intensifying in South Africa over the practice of hunting captive-bred lions.
- Peru government reports Shining Path captives rescued Updated: Aug-02-15 1:28 am
LIMA, Peru - Peruvian security forces rescued 54 adults and children, mostly members of the Ashaninka indigenous group, who had been held by Shining Path rebels in a remote jungle region, government officials said.
- Nigeria rescues 71, mostly women and girls, from Boko Haram Updated: Jul-30-15 4:51 pm
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria - Nigerian soldiers rescued 71 people, almost all girls and women, in firefights that killed many Boko Haram militants in villages near the northeastern city of Maiduguri, the military said Thursday.
- Man, mom accused of kidnapping his ex-girlfriend, their baby Updated: Jul-28-15 7:17 pm
MINEOLA, New York - A man and his mother have been charged with kidnapping his former girlfriend and their infant son and holding them captive for five days, stabbing and beating her before she escaped, police said Tuesday.
- Upstate New York man charged with holding family hostage Updated: Jul-24-15 7:05 am
PORT JERVIS, New York - A New York man accused of choking his wife and holding his family hostage is being held an upstate jail.
- DA: Shooting of man who took officers hostage was justified Updated: Jul-23-15 9:23 pm
CRAIG, Colorado - Prosecutors say the shooting death of a man who held two officers hostage in northwestern Colorado was justified.
- South African aid group works to free hostages Updated: Jul-23-15 9:16 am
JOHANNESBURG - A video showing a South African and a Swedish hostage alive in Mali after three years, is a sign that their captors are willing to negotiate, the founder of a South African humanitarian organization said Thursday.
- Iranian official: Held US citizens discussed at nuke talks Updated: Jul-22-15 9:05 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's deputy foreign minister said on Wednesday that Iranian diplomats discussed the case of Americans still held captive by Tehran. The issue was raised on the sidelines of negotiations in Vienna earlier this month that led to the landmark deal on curbing Iran's nuclear program.
- UN Libya envoy says team working for 4 hostages' freedom Updated: Jul-21-15 8:46 am
ROME - The U.N. special envoy for Libya says his team is trying to gather intelligence as part of efforts to free four Italian construction workers kidnapped there this week.
- Teen hostage held since March escapes Philippine militants Updated: Jul-20-15 11:34 am
MANILA, Philippines - A teenager who was kidnapped by Abu Sayyaf gunmen in March escaped her captors Monday when government troops discovered the militants' jungle hideout in the southern Philippines, the military said.
- Kerry: Captive Americans raised at all meetings with Iran Updated: Jul-17-15 8:25 am
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry says there was "not one meeting that took place" during the recent Iranian nuclear talks at which the U.S. didn't raise the issue of four Americans still held captive by Tehran.
- Right Sector gunmen take boy hostage in western Ukraine Updated: Jul-13-15 10:25 am
KIEV, Ukraine - Two gunmen from Ukraine's nationalist Right Sector militia on Monday briefly took a 6-year-old boy hostage in western Ukraine as a standoff between the gunmen and police entered its third day.
- Man gets 6½ years for holding his sister captive in filth Updated: Jul-09-15 2:39 pm
MILFORD, Connecticut - A man who kept his sister captive in filthy conditions inside their home was sentenced Thursday to 6½ years in prison.
- Mali extremist traded for French hostage killed in attack Updated: Jul-06-15 4:16 pm
BAMAKO, Mali - French special forces have killed an Islamic extremist in northern Mali who had been released last year in exchange for the freedom of a French hostage, a Malian official said Monday.