- Memorial service in Oklahoma for soldier killed in IS fight Updated: Nov-24-15 7:36 pm
MULDROW, Oklahoma - The first American soldier to die in combat against the Islamic State group in Iraq was remembered Tuesday during a memorial service as a man who was passionate about his wife, children, church and making others happy.
- Hostage-taking in French town ends, hostages safe Updated: Nov-24-15 5:53 pm
PARIS - One suspected gunman was found dead when a hostage-taking situation in the northern French town of Roubaix ended Tuesday night with the hostages being brought to safety, local officials said.
- Syrian group: IS releases more Assyrian Christian hostages Updated: Nov-24-15 1:55 pm
BEIRUT - An Assyrian group says Islamic State militants have released 10 more Assyrian Christian hostages they had held captive in Syria since February.
- Philippines welcomes convictions of 3 abductors of Americans Updated: Nov-23-15 8:46 am
MANILA, Philippines - Philippine police and military officials said Monday they were pressing on with a manhunt for about 30 kidnapping suspects after three Muslim militants were convicted of the 2011 abductions of an American woman, her teenage son and a Filipino relative vacationing in the country's south.
- 3 Chinese business executives killed in Mali attack Updated: Nov-20-15 10:32 pm
BEIJING - Three senior executives of a powerful state-owned Chinese company were killed in the Friday attack on a Radisson hotel in the Mali capital of Bamako, officials said Saturday.
- 6 Turkish Airlines personnel freed in Mali Updated: Nov-20-15 9:03 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish Airlines says a sixth crew member has been freed from a hotel in Mali that was stormed by armed gunmen.
- China strongly condemns Islamic State killing of hostage Updated: Nov-19-15 6:10 am
BEIJING - China's president on Thursday strongly condemned the killing of a Chinese hostage by Islamic State extremists, saying such groups are enemies of mankind.
- The Latest: Manila slum near APEC shows poverty challenge Updated: Nov-19-15 4:49 am
MANILA, Philippines - Leaders from 21 countries and self-governing territories are in Manila for the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation summit. The meeting's official agenda is focused on trade, business and economic issues but terrorism, South China Sea disputes and climate change are also in focus. (All times are local.)
- IS group says it has killed Norwegian, Chinese captives Updated: Nov-18-15 1:28 pm
CAIRO - The Islamic State group said Wednesday that it has killed Norwegian and Chinese captives after earlier demanding ransoms for the two men.
- Police: Man surrenders after holding hostage with scissors Updated: Nov-18-15 10:58 am
DEARBORN, Michigan - Police say they talked a man into surrendering after he apparently broke into a suburban Detroit home and held a 15-year-old boy hostage with scissors.
- Filipino militants demand $60 mln ransom for 3 foreigners Updated: Nov-03-15 9:13 pm
MANILA, Philippines - Suspected Abu Sayyaf gunmen have demanded more than $60 million for two Canadians and a Norwegian they are holding in the jungles of the southern Philippines in the largest ransom the Muslim militants have sought for their hostages in years.
- South Sudan rebels release 13 UN contractors, says official Updated: Nov-01-15 12:46 pm
JUBA, South Sudan - South Sudan's rebels have released 13 United Nations contractors held captive for nearly a week, the U.N.'s mission in the country said.
- S. Korean seized by extremists found dead in Philippines Updated: Nov-01-15 3:50 am
MANILA, Philippines - An elderly South Korean man who was kidnapped by Abu Sayyaf militants in the southern Philippines 10 months ago has been found dead apparently due to an illness, police and military officials said Sunday.
- Man sentenced for holding woman hostage in Red Cloud Updated: Oct-30-15 10:05 am
RED CLOUD, Nebraska - A 31-year-old man has been given six months in jail and three years of probation for holding a woman hostage in a Red Cloud home.
- Man who held ex-girlfriend hostage gets 12 years Updated: Oct-29-15 2:29 pm
BANGOR, Maine - A man who armed himself with a blowtorch and shotgun before holding his former girlfriend and her new boyfriend hostage in Bangor, Maine, is going to prison for 12 years.
- Maltese man free in Libya 6 weeks after kidnapping Updated: Oct-29-15 11:00 am
VALLETTA, Malta - Malta's foreign ministry says a Maltese businessman who was kidnapped in Libya six weeks earlier has been freed by his captors.
- Texas woman used in 'blood ritual' while being held captive Updated: Oct-28-15 4:42 pm
DALLAS - Four people kidnapped a woman and held her captive for three days in a San Antonio-area home, forcing her to ingest drugs and at one point conducting a "blood ritual," a sheriff's spokesman said Wednesday.
- Canada envoy who hid Americans during hostage crisis honored Updated: Oct-27-15 6:52 pm
TORONTO - Canadian Prime Minister-designate Justin Trudeau, former Prime Minister Joe Clark and the U.S. ambassador attended the funeral of Canada's former ambassador to Iran who sheltered American diplomats at his residence during the 1979-80 hostage crisis.
- 2 cartel members convicted in Carolinas kidnapping case Updated: Oct-26-15 5:41 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Two men allegedly affiliated with a Mexican drug cartel have been convicted of kidnapping a South Carolina man and holding him for ransom for nearly a week in a dispute over $200,000 in marijuana.