- Germany: Woman says she was held by horror house couple Updated: May-04-16 12:16 pm
BERLIN - A woman has told German investigators that she was held captive for around three months and was physically abused by a couple who are in custody for the deaths of two other women, police said Wednesday.
- Filipino militants threaten 3 hostages after beheading 1 Updated: May-03-16 3:45 pm
MANILA, Philippines - Muslim militants have threatened to kill three more hostages in their jungle base in the southern Philippines more than a week after beheading a Canadian man when their multi-million dollar ransom demands were not met.
- Militants free 10 Indonesian hostages in south Philippines Updated: May-01-16 8:55 am
MANILA, Philippines - Abu Sayyaf militants have freed 10 Indonesian crewmen who were seized at sea in March in the first of three attacks on tugboats that have sparked a regional maritime security alarm, officials said Sunday.
- Captive-born wolf pups released into wild den in New Mexico Updated: Apr-30-16 5:44 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Federal wildlife officials say they have, for the first time, successfully integrated wolf pups raised in captivity with a wild litter in New Mexico.
- Australian believed to have been kidnapped in Afghanistan Updated: Apr-29-16 1:00 am
SYDNEY - An Australian aid worker is believed to have been kidnapped in Afghanistan, Australian officials said on Friday, as her father issued a plea for her safe return.
- Brother takes Colombian politician's place as rebel hostage Updated: Apr-28-16 7:54 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - When leftist rebels earlier this month freed a former governor held captive more than two years, Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos welcomed the release as a hopeful sign that the National Liberation Army had finally sworn off kidnapping as peace talks with the group were getting under way.
- After hostage beheading, is Philippines facing IS threat? Updated: Apr-28-16 9:11 am
MANILA, Philippines - Months before Abu Sayyaf militants beheaded retired Canadian mining executive John Ridsdel in the tropical jungles of the southern Philippines, they showed him pleading for life in a video with three other hostages that demanded a record-high ransom.
- Philippine troops hunt extremists who beheaded Canadian Updated: Apr-26-16 3:23 pm
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine military came under increased pressure Tuesday to rescue more than 20 foreign hostages after their Muslim extremist captors beheaded a Canadian man, but troops face a dilemma in how to succeed without endangering the remaining captives.
- Indonesia to hold regional talks after kidnappings at sea Updated: Apr-26-16 6:52 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Indonesia's president said Tuesday that his government will host talks with Malaysia and the Philippines this week to boost maritime security following the kidnappings at sea of Indonesians by suspected Abu Sayyaf militants.
- Canadian man decapitated by Philippine extremists Updated: Apr-25-16 5:11 pm
MANILA, Philippines - Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed that the decapitated head of a Caucasian male recovered Monday night in the southern Philippines belongs to one of two Canadians taken hostage by Abu Sayyaf militants in September.
- Canada confirms Canadian killed by terrorists in Philippines Updated: Apr-25-16 2:32 pm
TORONTO - Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has condemned the "cold-blooded murder" of a Canadian by terrorists in the Philippines who were holding him hostage.
- Pope: May Christian faithful kidnapped in Syria soon be free Updated: Apr-24-16 6:56 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis is praying that a "merciful" God will touch the hearts of those in Syria who have abducted Catholic and Orthodox faithful, including bishops and priests, so that the captives will be released soon.
- Feds nix case over purported hostage negotiator Updated: Apr-22-16 7:09 pm
WILMINGTON, Delaware - Federal prosecutors on Friday dropped criminal charges against a former car salesman who had aggravated the FBI with claims he was negotiating with Islamic State militants to free Western hostages.
- Former al-Qaida hostage recounts bitter return to France Updated: Apr-22-16 10:21 am
PARIS - The back of his shorn head still bears a deep scar of his al-Qaida jailers' beatings, although he has regained the weight that sloughed off during more than three years of captivity.
- Gunmen arrested after holding Newington store clerk hostage Updated: Apr-22-16 9:39 am
NEWINGTON, Connecticut - Two men are in custody after an attempted robbery at a Newington convenience store turned into a hostage situation.
- Ethiopia: Troops surround area 125 children are being held Updated: Apr-21-16 7:32 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - The Ethiopian government said Wednesday its troops have surrounded an area in South Sudan where an armed group is suspected of holding 125 children hostage.
- Authorities: Hostage-taker killed in standoff with police Updated: Apr-18-16 8:24 pm
ATLANTA - Authorities say a police officer fatally shot an armed man early Monday after he had taken two people hostage at a gas station in an Atlanta suburb.
- How 4 AP reporters got the story 'Seafood from Slaves' Updated: Apr-18-16 5:50 pm
NEW YORK - The Associated Press expose on slavery in Southeast Asia's fishing industry, awarded the Pulitzer Prize for public service Monday, was born of a painstaking investigation by four reporters who documented the harsh treatment of fishermen held captive on a remote island and traced their catch to U.S. supermarkets and restaurants.
- Rauner-Madigan rivalry hamstrings Illinois budget talks Updated: Apr-17-16 2:44 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The rivalry between Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner and Democratic House Speaker Michael Madigan continues to intensify during Illinois' 10-month budget stalemate, leaving little hope that the state will have a spending plan any time soon.
- Woman shot by police in Marion hostage standoff sues city Updated: Apr-16-16 9:30 am
MARION, Illinois - A woman who was shot by police after being taken hostage is suing the city of Marion and members of its police department and the Williamson County Sheriff's Office.
- 4 Indonesians kidnapped by pirates; vessels safe in Malaysia Updated: Apr-15-16 10:38 pm
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Four Indonesians have been kidnapped and another shot in an attempt to hijack a tugboat and barge in the border waters of Malaysia and the Philippines, the Indonesian Foreign Ministry said Saturday.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: Republicans want answers on visit to Iran Updated: Apr-13-16 6:09 pm
WASHINGTON - Stop us if you've heard this one. Three guys walk into ... the Iranian Interests Section in Washington.
- Muslim militants behead 2 kidnapped workers in Philippines Updated: Apr-13-16 11:48 am
MANILA, Philippines - Suspected Muslim militants have beheaded two kidnapped sawmill workers while four other captives have been freed in a brutal act in the southern Philippines that appears to have been influenced by the Islamic State group's style of killings, military and police officials said Thursday.
- Police: Woman armed with gun held newborn grandchild hostage Updated: Apr-06-16 1:50 pm
PEACHTREE CORNERS, Georgia - Police in metro Atlanta say they have arrested a woman who held her newborn grandchild hostage following a domestic argument.
- Yemeni arts festival features photos by former US hostage Updated: Apr-05-16 12:10 pm
NEW YORK - A Yemeni arts festival in New York is featuring photographs by a U.S. journalist killed by al-Qaeda in Yemen in 2014.