- News outlets urge Syria rebels to halt abductions Updated: Dec-11-13 11:50 am
- Dutch couple freed by abductors in Yemen Updated: Dec-10-13 10:32 pm
- 2 Spanish journalists kidnapped in Syria Updated: Dec-10-13 9:49 am
- Dutch: Kidnapped reporter, 1 other freed in Yemen Updated: Dec-10-13 7:37 am
- Freed Jordanian names Filipino extremist kidnapper Updated: Dec-05-13 6:11 am
- Countries urged not to pay ransom to terrorists Updated: Dec-04-13 8:32 pm
- California man fires on police, holds 2 hostages Updated: Nov-28-13 3:46 pm
- 3 get prison for holding immigrants hostage in AZ Updated: Nov-27-13 5:04 am
- Former hostages react to Iran's nuclear deal Updated: Nov-26-13 7:44 pm
- Former hostage praises negotiations with Iran Updated: Nov-24-13 6:30 pm
- Police rescue girl, 2, after Ore. hostage standoff Updated: Nov-23-13 3:55 pm
- Famed ex-hostage runs for Colombia president Updated: Nov-22-13 12:52 pm
- Frenchman escaped 11 months captivity in Nigeria Updated: Nov-17-13 10:20 am
- Inmate charged in 2012 riot at SC prison Updated: Nov-14-13 4:55 pm
- French parish priest kidnapped in north Cameroon Updated: Nov-14-13 12:49 pm
- Syria war leads to rise of kidnappings in Lebanon Updated: Nov-12-13 2:50 pm
BEIRUT - Major international news organizations sent a letter to the leadership of the armed opposition in Syria Wednesday, calling for urgent action against rebel groups increasingly targeting journalists for kidnappings.
SANAA, Yemen - A Dutch couple freed after months in captivity in Yemen said they received good treatment from their abductors as they began their trip back home early Wednesday.
BEIRUT - The families of two Spanish journalists abducted in Syria by an al-Qaida linked group nearly three months ago appealed publicly for their release Tuesday, after failing to make contact with the captors via intermediaries.
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The Dutch government says a reporter and her partner who were taken hostage in Yemen six months ago have been released unharmed.
MANILA, Philippines - A Jordanian journalist has identified the leader of an al-Qaida-linked terrorist group that held him for a year and a half in the jungles of the southern Philippines after luring him with a promise of an interview.
UNITED NATIONS - Britain is urging the U.N. Security Council to adopt a resolution calling on all countries not to pay ransom to kidnappers who use the money to finance terrorist groups.
INGLEWOOD, California - A gunman who fired several shots at a pair of Southern California police officers, hitting one, and held two people hostage for nearly nine hours was booked Thursday on suspicion of attempted murder, a sheriff's official said.
PHOENIX - Three Mexican men accused of holding immigrants hostage at a Phoenix house last year have been sentenced to prison.
McLEAN, Virginia - To some of the Americans subjected to mock executions and other torment during more than a year as hostages in Iran more than 30 years ago, it seems like a mistake to trust the regime in Tehran to keep its promises in a nuclear deal brokered by the U.S. and other world powers.
WAVERLY, Iowa - An Iowa woman who was once held captive by Iranian revolutionaries for more than a year is happy to see the United States talking with Iran.
TURNER, Oregon - Police rescued a 2-year-old girl who was held hostage for eight hours by a man accused of fatally shooting her mother.
BOGOTA, Colombia - A spokesman for Colombia's Green Party says famed former rebel hostage Ingrid Betancourt will seek to represent it in next year's presidential elections.
PARIS - A French engineer kidnapped in northern Nigeria 11 months ago escaped on a motorcycle without paying ransom and will fly back to France on Sunday, police said.
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A South Carolina inmate has been charged with assaulting and holding a guard hostage during a six-hour standoff at a maximum security prison last year, state police said Thursday.
PARIS - A French priest was kidnapped from his northern Cameroon parish home by heavily armed men in a region where the radical Islamic sect Boko Haram operates, eyewitnesses and French officials said Thursday.
BEIRUT - For nearly three weeks, kidnappers held Lebanese pharmacist Wissam Khatib, threatening to kill him and his children if his family didn't pay a ransom of tens of thousands of dollars.