- Hostage situation ends peacefully when suspect surrenders Updated: May-27-15 7:27 pm
ANTIOCH, California - A carjacker surrendered peacefully Wednesday after releasing two hostages who were held in a tense standoff with police at a convenience store in Northern California, authorities said.
- The Latest on IS: Detainees killed at theater in Syria ruins Updated: May-27-15 11:51 am
6:45 p.m. (1545 GMT)
- SWAT member kills New Jersey man holding infant son hostage Updated: May-27-15 11:14 am
MIDDLETOWN, New Jersey - Officials say a member of the Monmouth County SWAT team shot and killed a man who was holding his 17-month-old son hostage.
- Islamic State suicide attacks in Iraq's Anbar kill 17 troops Updated: May-27-15 9:42 am
BAGHDAD - Islamic State extremists unleashed a wave of suicide attacks targeting the Iraqi army in western Anbar province, killing at least 17 troops in a major blow to government efforts to dislodge the militants from the sprawling Sunni heartland, an Iraqi military spokesman said Wednesday.
- Brazil prison riot leaves 8 dead, officials say Updated: May-25-15 7:01 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - A prison riot in northeastern Brazil left eight inmates dead after a fight between two gangs quickly escalated, prison officials said.
- Missouri suspect in killing of woman, teen son is dead Updated: May-23-15 5:34 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A man accused of holding his former girlfriend captive in a crate at their home in western Missouri then fatally shooting her and her teenage son, was shot and killed Saturday, authorities said.
- Police: Man sought in death of woman kept in box likely near Updated: May-23-15 2:01 am
SEDALIA, Missouri - A man suspected of killing a former girlfriend and her teenage son, weeks after he was charged with restricting her to a crate in their western Missouri home, is likely still near his hometown, authorities said Friday.
- Florida police fatally shoot man during hostage situation Updated: May-22-15 4:55 am
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - Fort Lauderdale Police fatally shot a man after he took a woman hostage while reportedly armed and on the drug "flakka".
- Former Boko Haram captives still held - by Nigerian military Updated: May-21-15 5:05 pm
YOLA, Nigeria - The accusations against a woman who was rescued from Boko Haram abductors came from fellow former captives during a group counseling session.
- Man who held hostages at Norman building ordered to trial Updated: May-20-15 4:41 pm
NORMAN, Oklahoma - A homeless military veteran charged with taking hostages at a Norman office building has been ordered to stand trial.
- US looking into whether hostage was kept by IS leader Updated: May-19-15 8:04 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. intelligence agencies are investigating the possibility that the Islamic State militant leader killed Friday was the captor of American hostage Kayla Mueller for a time.
- Police: Vermont man held wife captive in padlocked bedroom Updated: May-19-15 6:02 pm
RUTLAND, Vermont - A man charged with holding his wife captive in their home over four years by padlocking her into a bedroom and boarding the windows shut could face life in prison if convicted.
- California man in jail after bank robbery, hostage-taking Updated: May-17-15 4:49 pm
ANTIOCH, California - Northern California police say a suspect is in custody after robbing a bank, leading authorities on a high-speed chase and then briefly taking a hostage.
- Mexico: 44 migrants held captive were told they were in US Updated: May-14-15 9:19 pm
HERMOSILLO, Mexico - A group of rescued migrants believed they had made it to the United States but were actually being kept in captivity by human smugglers, Mexican officials said Thursday.
- Student charged in Valparaiso hostage hoax due in court Updated: May-14-15 6:40 pm
VALPARAISO, Indiana - A Valparaiso University student charged with faking a hostage situation at the college, sparking a large emergency response, is scheduled to make an initial court appearance.
- Spain: Man holds toddler hostage at daycare center Updated: May-12-15 9:56 am
MADRID - Spanish police say a man armed with a box cutter held a toddler hostage at a daycare center for about five hours before releasing the child unharmed and surrendering.
- Woman seeks rescue from boyfriend in online pizza order Updated: May-06-15 8:26 am
AVON PARK, Florida - A central Florida woman helped save herself and her children by sending a message in an online pizza order that asked employees to call 911 because she was being held hostage.
- Police surround Dell Rapids home following false report Updated: May-01-15 2:20 pm
DELL RAPIDS, South Dakota - A Dell Rapids family woke up to officers surrounding their house Friday morning after police received a false report that a man was threatening to kill his daughter.
- Pakistanis see double standard in drone strikes Updated: May-01-15 6:51 am
ISLAMABAD - People in Pakistan who live under the threat of U.S. drone strikes see a double standard at work in Washington.
- White House: Facilitating ransom not the same as paying Updated: Apr-30-15 4:45 pm
WASHINGTON - Despite a U.S. ban on ransom payments to terrorists, the White House said Thursday that federal officials helping to facilitate a payment is not the same as actually paying a ransom.
- Lawmakers to LePage: Stop holding bonds 'hostage' Updated: Apr-28-15 4:20 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Gov. Paul LePage's refusal to issue voter-approved bonds provoked a rare public dispute among members of his own party on Tuesday, when a Republican senator unveiled an effort to force the governor to release the funds.
- Ex-firefighter held for trial; accused of taking 4 hostages Updated: Apr-28-15 3:50 pm
ELKINS PARK, Pennsylvania - A former volunteer firefighter was ordered Tuesday to stand trial on charges that he held four firefighters hostage at gunpoint last month, firing one shot into a wall before surrendering.
- Suspect dead, hostage injured as Marion standoff ends Updated: Apr-28-15 3:26 pm
MARION, Illinois - Authorities say a southern Illinois man holding a woman hostage has been killed in a gunfight with police.