- Nevada agency left Social Security data vulnerable Updated: Dec-01-15 4:01 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - The Nevada agency that ensures mobile homes are safe has been collecting Social Security numbers even though it's not allowed to, and hasn't been encrypting them or taking other precautions against hackers and thieves, according to state auditors.
- House considers requiring search warrant to get old emails Updated: Dec-01-15 1:17 pm
WASHINGTON - Investigators would need a search warrant to get people's old emails under a bill considered Tuesday by a House panel looking to update a nearly 30-year-old federal law to reflect today's communications.
- Info on 5 million VTech customers and kids exposed in breach Updated: Nov-30-15 5:30 pm
NEW YORK - Kid's technology maker VTech says the personal information of about 5 million of its customers and their children may have been stolen by hackers.
- Georgia group wants investigation of voters' data release Updated: Nov-30-15 3:42 pm
ATLANTA - The League of Women Voters of Georgia wants Gov. Nathan Deal to investigate after personal information for Georgia's 6 million voters was released to news media and political parties.
- For some people, the older the smartphone, the better Updated: Nov-30-15 9:31 am
NEW YORK - Between splashy launches, lavish new-phone offers (get a free HDTV on activation!) and frequent software updates that slow down your old handset, it sometimes feels like the entire technology industry is pushing you to buy the latest smartphone. Yet some holdouts resist.
- Grand Valley State to host cyber security workshop Updated: Nov-30-15 4:01 am
GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan - A cyber security workshop for small business owners will be held at the Michigan Small Business Development Center at Grand Valley State University.
- Newspaper: Agencies deleting emails of former administrators Updated: Nov-29-15 2:42 pm
JOPLIN, Missouri - A southwest Missouri newspaper's recent attempts to obtain emails from three former public officials in Joplin resulted in two denials because the records were wiped clean soon after the leaders left office.
- Don't get Grinched by cybercrime during the holiday season Updated: Nov-28-15 8:08 am
NEW YORK - Online fraud spikes during the holiday shopping season, as people searching for the perfect gifts take to cyberspace and head to traditional stores armed with their smartphones.
- Nonprofit creates special iPhone app for homeless Updated: Nov-27-15 4:57 pm
DALLAS - A shower. A meal. A place to sleep. Those basic needs come to mind when most think of the homeless.
- Attorney general warns consumers about credit card fraud Updated: Nov-27-15 7:36 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - With the Christmas shopping season underway, New Hampshire Attorney General Joseph Foster is warning consumers to remain guarded against credit card fraud, even as more secure credit card technologies become widespread.
- Polish experts analyzing data concerning alleged Nazi train Updated: Nov-26-15 7:33 am
WARSAW, Poland - A Polish mining academy says its experts are analyzing data gathered from a site allegedly hiding a Nazi train, which local lore says is laden with gold.
- Under fire, Pennsylvania attorney general plans email review Updated: Nov-25-15 3:10 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The Pennsylvania Senate moved a step closer on Wednesday to potentially removing the state's embattled attorney general from office, while she raised the possibility of criminal charges against others in a slowly unfolding scandal involving public officials exchanging sexually explicit or otherwise offensive emails.
- Lincoln students to get wider Internet access at libraries Updated: Nov-25-15 12:31 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The Lincoln Board of Education has approved an agreement with Lincoln City Libraries to connect two broadband networks so that students can go to any library to do research, write papers and do their homework using the school district's network.
- A look at the hot toys for holiday 2015 Updated: Nov-25-15 11:44 am
NEW YORK - Which toys will warm the hearts of parents and kids for the holiday 2015 shopping season?
- BGE ordered to reduce charge for opting out of smart meters Updated: Nov-24-15 8:19 pm
BALTIMORE - Maryland's Public Service Commission has ordered BGE to cut in half its monthly fee to customers who opt out of having smart meters installed in their homes or small businesses.
- Why government and tech can't agree about encryption Updated: Nov-24-15 7:29 pm
NEW YORK - Your phone is getting better and better at protecting your privacy. But Uncle Sam isn't totally comfortable with that, because it's also complicating the work of tracking criminals and potential national-security threats.
- Google to buy solar power to run massive NC server farm Updated: Nov-24-15 10:18 am
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Google says it will offset the tremendous electricity needed for its North Carolina server farm with solar power under a new program that allows corporations to voluntarily pay more for renewable energy.
- Students gather in Lafayette for robotics competition Updated: Nov-24-15 5:01 am
LAFAYETTE, Indiana - When Purdue University sophomore Kija Davis attended a Kokomo high school, she questioned whether to join the boys in the school's FIRST robotics program.
- Report shows Internet connectivity gap in Alaska Updated: Nov-23-15 9:08 am
KENAI, Alaska - Alaska is lagging behind other states in providing what federal regulators have determined to be proper access to broadband in K-12 classrooms.
- After years of delays, Palestinians get high-speed mobile Updated: Nov-23-15 2:44 am
RAMALLAH, West Bank - Political science lecturer Amjad Abu el-Ez lived in London and Dubai for 17 years before returning home in 2014 to teach in the northern West Bank city of Nablus. He was stunned to learn he could barely check his email on the commute from his nearby village because Palestinian mobile carriers do not offer high-speed data.
- UF's unveils HiPerGator 2.0 supercomputer; fastest in region Updated: Nov-22-15 3:41 am
GAINESVILLE, Florida - Florida's fastest supercomputer can process every federal income tax return in the country in less than a second.
- Project to upgrade transit, broadband access in rural areas Updated: Nov-21-15 12:02 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - An Ohio transportation agency is expected to use nearly $7 million in federal money to upgrade technology of rural transit agencies and increase broadband Internet access in areas with insufficient service.
- Georgia to hire auditing firm after voters' data released Updated: Nov-20-15 8:41 pm
ATLANTA - Georgia's secretary of state said Friday that he will hire auditing firm Ernst & Young to review the entire office, days after a lawsuit revealed that news media and political parties had received the Social Security numbers and other personal information about Georgia's 6 million voters.
- EPA says VW cheating software is on more vehicles Updated: Nov-20-15 8:06 pm
WASHINGTON - Volkswagen's emissions cheating scandal widened Friday after the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said the German automaker used software to cheat on pollution tests on more six-cylinder diesel vehicles than originally thought.
- Panel approves moving away from failed broadband program Updated: Nov-20-15 5:42 pm
BOISE, Idaho - A group of lawmakers tasked with submitting public school broadband recommendations in the wake of this year's collapse of the statewide system is finalizing its wish list for the 2016 Idaho Legislature.