- Sporting KC goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen retires Updated: Dec-09-13 9:23 pm
- Sporting KC goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen retires Updated: Dec-09-13 9:19 pm
- Fans request 1.1 million World Cup tickets in day Updated: Dec-09-13 8:48 pm
- Fans request 1.1 million World Cup tickets in day Updated: Dec-09-13 8:41 pm
- Brazil tries to ease fears of fan violence in WCup Updated: Dec-09-13 6:54 pm
- Seattle declines option on GK Gspurning Updated: Dec-09-13 6:20 pm
- World leaders to speak at massive Mandela memorial Updated: Dec-09-13 6:03 pm
- Blackburn striker Campbell nabbed in fixing probe Updated: Dec-09-13 5:24 pm
- Swansea draws 1-1 with Hull in Premier League Updated: Dec-09-13 5:23 pm
- South African football postpones games Updated: Dec-09-13 2:05 pm
- What soccer gave to Nelson Mandela Updated: Dec-09-13 1:32 pm
- Columbus Crew sign Dominic Oduro to contract Updated: Dec-09-13 1:30 pm
- Earth's atmosphere to take beating at World Cup Updated: Dec-09-13 12:52 pm
- Montpellier appoints Rolland Courbis as coach Updated: Dec-09-13 12:35 pm
- 5 things to know about Group C of Champions League Updated: Dec-09-13 11:15 am
- Sevilla president steps down with prison looming Updated: Dec-09-13 11:09 am
- Ronaldo, Messi, Ribery up for Ballon d'Or Updated: Dec-09-13 8:54 am
- What football gave to Nelson Mandela Updated: Dec-09-13 5:53 am
- Arsenal's momentum halted by Everton; Fulham wins Updated: Dec-08-13 7:33 pm
- Boca wraps up first half with lackluster draw Updated: Dec-08-13 7:21 pm
- 5 things to know about the Champions League Updated: Dec-08-13 7:12 pm
- Defending Brazilian champion Fluminense relegated Updated: Dec-08-13 6:48 pm
- Chiefs thump Redskins 45-10 to break 3-game skid Updated: Dec-08-13 6:02 pm
- Osasuna rallies for 3-3 draw at Malaga in Copa Updated: Dec-08-13 5:50 pm
- Monaco beats Ajaccio 1-0 in French league Updated: Dec-08-13 5:45 pm
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - Sporting Kansas City goalkeeper and captain Jimmy Nielsen is retiring, two days after making a pair of crucial penalty saves against Real Salt Lake to help his team win its first Major League Soccer championship since 2000.
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - Sporting Kansas City goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen announced his retirement Monday night, two days after he made a pair of dramatic saves in a penalty kick shootout against Real Salt Lake to secure his club its first MLS Cup in more than a decade.
SAO PAULO - FIFA said Monday that fans applied for more than 1.1 million tickets for the World Cup in Brazil in the first 24 hours after the latest sales phase opened.
SAO PAULO - FIFA said Monday that football fans applied for more than 1.1 million tickets for the World Cup in Brazil in the first 24 hours after the latest sales phase opened.
SAO PAULO - As video of Brazilian fans kicking, beating and using metal bars to pummel supporters of a rival team spread across the globe, officials moved quickly to assure people considering coming to the 2014 World Cup that they won't see that type of violence during the global tournament.
TUKWILA, Washington - The Seattle Sounders have declined the 2014 contract option on goalkeeper Michael Gspurning, leaving the position as a major question going into next season.
JOHANNESBURG - An eclectic mix of world leaders including President Barack Obama and Cuban President Raul Castro will eulogize Nelson Mandela before a crowd of nearly 100,000 mourners at a massive memorial service Tuesday in the World Cup soccer stadium where the anti-apartheid champion made his last public appearance.
LONDON - English football faced renewed concerns about match-fixing Monday after Blackburn striker D.J. Campbell was identified as one of six people arrested in the second police investigation into rigged games opened inside two weeks.
SWANSEA, Wales - Chico Flores equalized in the second half to cancel out Danny Graham's first goal since January and give Swansea a 1-1 draw against Hull in the Premier League on Monday.
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - After allowing a cup final to go ahead over the weekend as a tribute, South Africa's football league says it is now postponing all games until after Nelson Mandela's funeral, in some cases to allow stadiums to be used for memorial services.
JOHANNESBURG - The mere sounds of soccer brightened Nelson Mandela in his darkest, most isolated times.
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Columbus Crew have re-signed leading scorer Dominic Oduro.
SALVADOR, Brazil - The World Cup may be great for planet soccer, but it isn't so good for planet Earth.
MONTPELLIER, France - Rolland Courbis returned Monday to Montpellier as coach to revive the fortunes of a club he helped gain promotion four years ago.
PARIS - Here are five things to know ahead of Tuesday's Group C matches in the Champions League, with leader Paris Saint-Germain visiting Benfica and Olympiakos hosting bottom-placed Anderlecht:
SEVILLE, Spain - Sevilla president Jose Maria del Nido has quit the Spanish league club after being sentenced to seven years in prison.
Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Franck Ribery are in the running for the Ballon d'Or.
JOHANNESBURG - The mere sounds of a football game brightened Nelson Mandela in his darkest, most isolated times.
BERLIN - First-place Arsenal lost momentum in the Premier League Sunday, allowing a late equalizer in a 1-1 draw with Everton, while Fulham beat Aston Villa to give new manager Rene Meulensteen his first victory.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Boca Juniors wrapped up the first half of the Argentine first-division season with a lackluster 1-1 draw against Gimnasia Sunday.
LONDON - Half of the last 16 places in the knockout stage of the Champions League are still up for grabs and will be decided this week after the final group games. Manchester United, Real Madrid, Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain reached the knockout phase in the last round of games, joining defending champion Bayern Munich, Manchester City, Atletico Madrid, and Barcelona.
SAO PAULO - Fluminense became the first defending Brazilian league champion to be relegated to the second division on Sunday, and traditional Rio de Janeiro rival Vasco da Gama also was demoted.
BARCELONA, Spain - Ten-man Osasuna roared back from a three-goal deficit to secure a 3-3 draw at Malaga on Sunday, giving the Pamplona-based side the away-goal advantage in their Copa del Rey matchup.
PARIS - Monaco beat lowly Ajaccio 1-0 Sunday with a late goal from Emmanuel Riviere to climb to second place in the French league, two points behind leader Paris Saint-Germain.