- 4 Afghan men sentenced to death over horrifying mob killing Updated: May-06-15 11:31 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - Four Afghan men were sentenced Wednesday to death by hanging over the filmed mob killing in downtown Kabul of a young woman falsely accused of burning the Quran, a case that horrified the country and showed the dangers women face in the conservative society.
- Residents, workers protest in South African cities Updated: May-06-15 11:22 am
JOHANNESBURG - Protesters in South Africa burned tires and piled rocks across the road leading to the Soweto home of the late Nelson Mandela on Wednesday, in a demonstration against electricity bills.
- East Africa Community tries to mend Burundi turmoil Updated: May-06-15 9:58 am
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - With protesters in Burundi refusing to back down, government ministers from East African Community nations travelled to Burundi on Wednesday to help seek a solution to unrest caused by President Pierre Nkurunziza's decision to run for a third term.
- Hunger striking students frustrated with university response Updated: May-06-15 9:46 am
MEDFORD, Massachusetts - Tufts University students on a hunger strike over janitor layoffs say they're frustrated at the university's response.
- Macedonia: 38 police, 1 protester hurt in overnight clashes Updated: May-06-15 9:29 am
SKOPJE, Macedonia - Violent clashes overnight between protesters and police in the Macedonian capital Skopje left 38 police officers and one protester injured, authorities said Wednesday, while 30 people were detained.
- Protesters interrupt Northern Calif. city council meeting Updated: May-06-15 5:43 am
OAKLAND, California - Protesters in Northern California have interrupted a city council meeting in Oakland, locking arms and chaining themselves to an Oakland City Council chamber railing.
- Protesters of police violence hold 'die-in' at Ohio school Updated: May-06-15 5:31 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - Protesters urging a stop to violence by police staged a "die-in" at a northwest Ohio university.
- Prince announces 'Rally 4 Peace' concert Sunday in Baltimore Updated: May-06-15 3:05 am
BALTIMORE - Prince has announced plans to perform at a concert in Baltimore following recent unrest in the city over the death of a man who was fatally injured in police custody.
- Attorney General Lynch meets Gray family in Baltimore Updated: May-05-15 11:16 pm
BALTIMORE - Attorney General Loretta Lynch pledged Tuesday to improve the city's police department after meeting with the family of a man who was fatally injured in police custody.
- Md. comptroller extends sales tax deadline for businesses Updated: May-05-15 2:55 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Businesses in Baltimore affected by riots are getting a two-week extension to file April sales taxes returns and payments.
- Marchers protest 2013 fatal police shooting in Martinsburg Updated: May-05-15 12:04 pm
MARTINSBURG, West Virginia - Several dozen people marched in Martinsburg on Tuesday to protest the fatal shooting of a Virginia man by police in 2013.
- Man accused of Ferguson shooting again heads to court Updated: May-05-15 5:05 am
CLAYTON, Missouri - A man accused of shooting two police officers during a Ferguson demonstration is scheduled for another court appearance.
- Baltimore police: Man arrested near scene of recent riots Updated: May-04-15 9:13 pm
BALTIMORE - Days after riots crippled Baltimore, tensions again escalated Monday after police said they arrested a man who appeared to be armed. The arrest drew a crowd of protesters who chanted, "Black community, control the police!"
- Judge: Md. didn't violate Constitution; violated procedure Updated: May-04-15 6:20 pm
BALTIMORE - A Baltimore city judge says the state violated court procedures - but not the Constitution - after last week's riots by holding some suspects more than 24 hours without taking them before a judicial officer to have bail set.
- Protests highlight troubles of Ethiopian Jews in Israel Updated: May-04-15 3:08 pm
JERUSALEM - When Israel secretly airlifted waves of Ethiopian Jews in the 1980s and 1990s, saving them from war and famine in the Horn of Africa, it was celebrated as a triumphant show of unity for the Jewish people.
- Burundi Red Cross: 3 killed in clashes with security forces Updated: May-04-15 11:55 am
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - At least three people have been killed in Burundi on Monday in violent clashes with the security forces, said the Red Cross, as street demonstrations persist over the president's third term bid.
- Retiring Hong Kong police chief takes pot shot at protesters Updated: May-04-15 5:41 am
HONG KONG - Hong Kong's outgoing police chief took a parting shot Monday at pro-democracy protesters who occupied busy streets in parts of the southern Chinese financial center for nearly three months last year.
- 5 Tufts students go on hunger strike over janitor layoffs Updated: May-03-15 10:07 pm
MEDFORD, Massachusetts - Five students at Tufts University began a hunger strike Sunday over the university's plans to cut about 35 janitorial jobs at the end of May.
- The Latest: Baltimore lifts curfew after days of tension Updated: May-03-15 5:38 pm
- Moldovans call for reforms, probe into missing bank funds Updated: May-03-15 2:19 pm
CHISINAU, Moldova - Thousands have protested against Moldova's government, saying it has failed to implement reforms to bring the country closer to the European Union.
- After calm protests in Oakland, smaller group turns violent Updated: May-02-15 11:26 pm
OAKLAND, California - Oakland's mayor and police chief acknowledged Saturday falling short in controlling what police said was a night of some of the heaviest damage yet in peaceful marches that have turned violent.
- Demonstrators rally, march to oppose family detention Updated: May-02-15 5:55 pm
DILLEY, Texas - Hundreds of demonstrators converged on the small South Texas town of Dilley to rally and march on an immigrant family detention center in protest of U.S. immigrant detention policy.
- Several hundred peacefully march in Boston for civil rights Updated: May-02-15 5:44 pm
BOSTON - Several hundred people have marched peacefully in Boston in support of activists in Baltimore following the death of man in police custody there.
- Maldives court orders opposition leaders detained Updated: May-02-15 4:04 pm
MALE, Maldives - A court in the Maldives on Saturday ordered three opposition leaders and 172 of their supporters detained further after they were arrested for violence during a protest demanding the president to resign and freedom for a jailed ex-president.
- Burundi military says it will remain neutral amid protests Updated: May-02-15 3:49 pm
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - Burundi's defense minister said Saturday the army will remain neutral amid the street protests stemming from the president's controversial bid for a third term.