- The Mountain Press in Sevierville appoints new editor Updated: Apr-30-16 5:03 pm
SEVIERVILLE, Tennessee - Rhonda Bletner is the new editor of The Mountain Press.
- Papers at Little Rock, Hot Springs, Benton take top honors Updated: Apr-30-16 2:30 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Newspapers from Little Rock, Hot Springs and Benton have won top honors in the Arkansas Associated Press Managing Editors Association journalism contest for work done in 2015.
- Rochester newspaper moving out of longtime downtown home Updated: Apr-30-16 8:32 am
ROCHESTER, New York - The Democrat and Chronicle is ending its nearly 90-year run at its downtown Rochester office building.
- Ohio schools close over misinterpretation of video threat Updated: Apr-29-16 6:00 pm
ATHENS, Ohio - Six Ohio school districts closed on Friday while authorities investigated what turned out to be a misinterpretation of an anonymous video threatening the safety of "American students."
- The Latest: Video threatening US students posted from Europe Updated: Apr-29-16 4:40 pm
ATHENS, Ohio - The Latest on a video threat connected to Ohio University (all times local):
- New Virginia voter registration form wins approval Updated: Apr-29-16 8:51 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - The State Board of Elections has voted to overhaul Virginia's voter registration form to make it easier for residents to vote.
- Sri Lankan protest demands new probe of journalist's killing Updated: Apr-29-16 8:41 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Hundreds of journalists and media rights activists protested on Friday to demand Sri Lanka's new government start a fresh investigation into the abduction and killing of a prominent ethnic Tamil journalist 11 years ago, during the country's civil war.
- Blackie Sherrod, longtime Texas sports writer, dead at 96 Updated: Apr-28-16 8:48 pm
DALLAS - The East Coast had Red Smith. The West Coast had Jim Murray. Texas had Blackie Sherrod.
- Rutgers reporter asks Obama for interview - and gets it Updated: Apr-28-16 7:58 pm
WASHINGTON - A college reporter spending time at the White House has landed what many beat reporters long for: an interview with President Barack Obama.
- SW Idaho weekly to become publication of Idaho Press-Tribune Updated: Apr-27-16 2:16 pm
KUNA, Idaho - A weekly newspaper in the southwest Idaho town of Kuna will become a publication of the Nampa-based Idaho Press-Tribune.
- State will not pursue eviction of Iraqi refugees from motel Updated: Apr-27-16 6:58 am
SAUGUS, Massachusetts - State officials have abandoned plans to evict a family of nine Iraqi refugees now living in suburban Boston for allowing guests in their state-subsidized motel room.
- Reporter jailed in Iran to spend year as Harvard fellow Updated: Apr-26-16 7:43 pm
CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts - The Washington Post reporter who was detained for more than 18 months in Iran after being accused of espionage will spend the coming year at Harvard University as a Nieman journalism fellow.
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court rejects newspapers' email appeal Updated: Apr-26-16 2:35 pm
PITTSBURGH - The Pennsylvania Supreme Court has rejected an appeal by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and several other newspapers seeking to force state government to store employee emails.
- Turkey's Erdogan chases critics at home and abroad Updated: Apr-26-16 7:13 am
ISTANBUL - Ebru Umar was sleeping in her summer residence on Turkey's Aegean coast when police arrived at her door and took her away for questioning about two of her tweets that were deemed offensive to Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Turkish-Dutch journalist detained over Erdogan tweet Updated: Apr-24-16 12:21 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish authorities on Sunday released a Turkish-Dutch journalist from police custody but barred her from leaving Turkey as they continue to investigate tweets she posted about President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Progressive era inspired Clean Air, Clean Water acts Updated: Apr-23-16 2:05 am
MISSOULA, Montana - When Leon Billings was first asked to join a Congressional subcommittee on pollution, he was not interested.
- Rhode Island officer charged with stealing newspaper coupons Updated: Apr-22-16 8:06 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Rhode Island police officer accused of stealing bundles of coupons and inserts that go in the Sunday newspaper has been arrested and suspended without pay.
- Media company restructures Wyoming papers' leadership Updated: Apr-22-16 3:44 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - A major media company in Wyoming says it has reorganized its executive team and eliminated the top three positions in the state.
- Media company selling New England Newspapers to investors Updated: Apr-21-16 4:37 pm
PITTSFIELD, Massachusetts - A Massachusetts-based group of investors has purchased The Berkshire Eagle newspaper and three Vermont papers.
- Florida publisher dies days before paper wins Pulitzer Updated: Apr-20-16 7:54 pm
VENICE, Florida - The publisher of the Charlotte Sun died just days before his paper was awarded journalism's greatest honor.
- The Salt Lake Tribune sold to wealthy industrialist family Updated: Apr-20-16 6:09 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A son of wealthy industrialist Jon Huntsman Sr. has agreed to buy The Salt Lake Tribune, ending uncertainty about the future of Utah's largest newspaper that has long been an independent watchdog in a state where the Mormon church wields significant power.
- Add another Pulitzer winner: Writer left off editorial entry Updated: Apr-20-16 4:56 pm
NEW YORK - A name has been added to this year's list of Pulitzer Prize winners.
- Attorney general won't seek hearing on leaked FBI recordings Updated: Apr-20-16 12:07 pm
NORRISTOWN, Pennsylvania - Attorney General Kathleen Kane has dropped a court motion that accused prosecutors of leaking FBI recordings in her perjury and obstruction case to a newspaper.
- State to pay $250K to newspapers over child abuse records Updated: Apr-20-16 6:22 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The state will pay a $250,000 penalty to Kentucky's two largest newspapers to settle a lawsuit over obtaining records of child abuse deaths and serious injuries.
- Recent editorials from Texas newspapers Updated: Apr-19-16 8:48 pm
Houston Chronicle. April 16, 2016.