- Iowa veteran hopeful plane parts belong to B-17 bomber Updated: May-06-15 2:44 pm
HIAWATHA, Iowa - A World War II veteran from Cedar Rapids believes wreckage of a plane recently found by a fisherman in France belongs to a B-17 bomber he was aboard when it crashed more than 70 years ago.
- Are bungled VA claims systemic? Senators want agency review Updated: May-06-15 2:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Troubled by delays in handling veterans claims, a bipartisan group of senators on Wednesday urged a wide-scale, independent review of the Department of Veterans Affairs for mismanagement and changes to improve budgeting and speed up applications.
- RI man under investigation for allegedly taking headstones Updated: May-06-15 10:14 am
EXETER, Rhode Island - Officials say a state employee who works at the Rhode Island Veterans' Memorial Cemetery is being investigated by an arm of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for taking discarded headstones estimated to be worth more than $80,000.
- 95-year-old man fights off would-be robber with cane Updated: May-05-15 8:47 am
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - Police say a 95-year-old World War II veteran used his cane to fight off a would-be robber in Manchester, New Hampshire.
- Man who left high school for WWII to graduate from Purdue Updated: May-04-15 6:01 pm
LAFAYETTE, Indiana - Jerry Cole was determined to get a college degree even after dropping out of high school to enlist in the Navy during World War II at 16 years old. He'll fulfill that goal Saturday when he earns a degree in organizational leadership from Purdue University.
- Illinois medical marijuana approved for PTSD, osteoarthritis Updated: May-04-15 5:25 pm
CHICAGO - Illinois' new medical marijuana program would cover thousands, perhaps millions, more patients under expansive recommendations that an advisory board agreed to Monday.
- Israel veterans group alleges Israeli misconduct in Gaza war Updated: May-04-15 2:11 pm
JERUSALEM - An Israeli group that collects testimonies from combat soldiers published accounts Monday from last year's Gaza war alleging indiscriminate fire killed Palestinian civilians.
- Delaware officials commit to ending veterans homelessness Updated: May-04-15 1:11 pm
DOVER, Delaware - Gov. Jack Markell says state officials are setting a goal of ensuring that no military veteran in Delaware is homeless.
- Beallsville's loss of Vietnam War soldiers still felt Updated: May-03-15 9:09 pm
BEALLSVILLE, Ohio - The teenage boy spotted a U.S. military vehicle creeping slowly up the farm's driveway and minutes later saw his dad dart for the cornfields, as if trying to outrun the news.
- Ohio vets' medical care to expand under Air Force, VA pact Updated: May-03-15 8:56 pm
DAYTON, Ohio - An agreement intended to help decrease wait times for veterans seeking medical care has been forged between Air Force and Veterans Affairs officials in Ohio.
- New Mexico veterans hired to prevent, fight wildfires Updated: May-03-15 3:41 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - Several New Mexico military veterans are back on the field, but the only enemy they are fighting is fire.
- Community welcomes home Vietnam veterans 50 years after war Updated: May-03-15 1:20 pm
INVERNESS, Florida - Thousands of Inverness residents are giving area Vietnam veterans a long-delayed homecoming.
- Community rallies behind wounded Iraq War veteran Updated: May-03-15 12:22 pm
MITCHELL, South Dakota - The community of Mitchell is working to improve the home of a 28-year-old Iraq War veteran who may have to start using a wheelchair because of injuries he sustained during his service.
- Ohio group hopes to find jobs for 5,000 vets by 2020 Updated: May-03-15 12:04 am
DAYTON, Ohio - A southwest Ohio group says it aims to find jobs for 5,000 military veterans by 2020.
- Connecticut WWII veterans to visit Washington war memorials Updated: May-02-15 12:11 pm
FARMINGTON, Connecticut - Two Connecticut veterans of World War II are set to visit Washington, D.C.'s monuments and memorials honoring millions of service members.
- VA's internal watchdog refused to investigate Aurora project Updated: May-01-15 1:01 pm
DENVER - While the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs' internal watchdog issued more than 1,500 reports between 2010 and 2014, not one focused on the agency's troubled hospital project in Aurora, The Denver Post (http://dpo.st/1QTVFsz ) reported Friday.
- Jury convicts northern Illinois man of shooting at deputies Updated: May-01-15 9:47 am
WOODSTOCK, Illinois - Jurors in northern Illinois have convicted a Holiday Hills military veteran of shooting two McHenry County sheriff's deputies at his home last year, among other charges.
- Coast Guard member in Virginia sentenced for violations Updated: May-01-15 3:08 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - A Coast Guard member has been sentenced to 80 days in military prison and given a bad conduct discharge for his guilty plea to charges of assault and failing to obey an order or a regulation.
- State Higher Ed board taps Navy veteran as next chancellor Updated: Apr-30-15 8:43 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - The State Board of Higher Education selected Mark Hagerott as the next chancellor of the North Dakota University System on Thursday.
- House rejects bid to let VA docs give advice on medical pot Updated: Apr-30-15 7:26 pm
WASHINGTON - The GOP-controlled House Thursday barely rejected a bid by supporters of medical marijuana to permit veterans to receive information about the drug from their government doctors.
- House panel issues subpoena in Philadelphia VA probe Updated: Apr-30-15 2:39 pm
WASHINGTON - A House committee voted Thursday to issue a subpoena of the Department of Veterans Affairs for personnel and complaint files at its Philadelphia office, part of an expanding probe into mishandling of veterans' disability and pensions claims.
- Johnson subpoenas VA inspector general for Tomah documents Updated: Apr-30-15 2:28 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - U.S. Senator Ron Johnson says he has subpoenaed the Department of Veterans Affairs' Office of the Inspector General for information on an embattled medical center in Tomah.
- Wisconsin DA says VA has lagged in drug-dealing probe Updated: Apr-30-15 1:35 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The Department of Veterans Affairs has moved too slowly in its investigation of interstate drug distribution, a Wisconsin district attorney said Thursday in a letter to the agency's secretary and members of Congress.
- New Mexico agencies get funds for veteran housing Updated: Apr-30-15 5:05 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Public housing agencies in New Mexico will share more than $300,000 for programs aimed at helping homeless veterans.
- 2 vets, dogs start cross-country trek to help vets with pets Updated: Apr-30-15 3:01 am
HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - Two veterans and their dogs passed through Birmingham and Huntsville this week on a 6,000-mile journey across the country to raise money for military families and vets with pets.