- Va. justices: Academic emails can be withheld Updated: Apr-17-14 3:16 pm
- Portable seismographs heading for central Idaho Updated: Apr-15-14 4:17 pm
- Dominion plans new North Anna seismic risk study Updated: Apr-15-14 7:32 am
- Wyoming hillside slipping, but not gaining speed Updated: Apr-13-14 5:32 pm
- Study looks at Old Faithful area and development Updated: Apr-13-14 3:52 pm
- Okla. going nearly 250 days without tornado Updated: Apr-12-14 7:22 pm
- UN climate report balances science and politics Updated: Apr-12-14 9:35 am
- Ohio geologists link small quakes to fracking Updated: Apr-11-14 7:38 pm
- Artificial cooling tricky topic for climate panel Updated: Apr-10-14 11:01 am
- Climate changes to result in bird, reptile shifts Updated: Apr-09-14 6:17 pm
- Climate meeting to discuss future of fossil fuels Updated: Apr-05-14 5:22 am
- Skier coaches others on avoiding avalanches Updated: Apr-04-14 2:14 pm
- Climate change bill lays out Rhode Island response Updated: Apr-03-14 8:34 pm
- Smithsonian names director for tropical research Updated: Apr-02-14 3:01 pm
- California snowpack survey forebodes tough summer Updated: Apr-01-14 9:21 pm
- Exxon: Highly unlikely world limits fossil fuels Updated: Mar-31-14 8:29 pm
- UN panel: Warming worsens food, hunger problems Updated: Mar-31-14 5:28 am
- Global warming dials up our risks, UN report says Updated: Mar-30-14 11:29 pm
- Seabed of jet hunt zone mostly flat with 1 trench Updated: Mar-30-14 8:31 pm
- UN science report: Warming worsens security woes Updated: Mar-30-14 2:01 am
- Scientists gather to study old-growth redwoods Updated: Mar-29-14 3:43 pm
- UN panel: 8 reasons to worry about global warming Updated: Mar-29-14 1:16 am
- Little temblors beneath Mount Hood are normal Updated: Mar-28-14 7:20 pm
- Seismic readings show Washington had 2 landslides Updated: Mar-27-14 6:50 pm
- Geologists: more than 30 small Mount Hood quakes Updated: Mar-27-14 1:56 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - The Virginia Supreme Court on Thursday rejected a conservative group's attempt to obtain a University of Virginia climate researcher's emails.
BOISE, Idaho - Three portable seismographs will be installed in the Challis area in central Idaho to help experts better understand a recent flurry of earthquakes.
MINERAL, Virginia - Dominion Virginia Power's North Anna nuclear power plant will undergo a new seismic risk assessment.
JACKSON, Wyoming - An unstable hillside has continued to move since it forced dozens from their homes last week in the Wyoming resort town of Jackson over the slim but persistent risk of a sudden landslide, but the shifting was not accelerating, authorities said Sunday.
YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyoming - A new study on the geology and hydrology in the area around Old Faithful in Yellowstone National Park provides suggestions on how to avoid harming the famous geyser.
TULSA, Oklahoma - Oklahoma hasn't had a tornado or a tornado warning for more than eight months, though with bad storms expected in the state Sunday, it is doubtful Oklahoma will be able to match its longest streak ever without a twister.
BERLIN - After racing against the clock in an all-night session, the U.N.'s expert panel on climate change was putting the final touches Saturday on a scientific guide to help governments, industries and regular people take action to stop global warming from reaching dangerous levels.
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Geologists in Ohio have for the first time linked earthquakes in a geologic formation deep under the Appalachians to hydraulic fracturing, leading the state to issue new permit conditions Friday in certain areas that are among the nation's strictest.
BERLIN - It's Plan B in the fight against climate change: cooling the planet by sucking heat-trapping CO2 from the air or reflecting sunlight back into space.
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - As temperatures climb across the Southwest, researchers have found some species will win, but others stand to lose - and lose big.
BERLIN - After concluding that global warming almost certainly is man-made and poses a grave threat to humanity, the U.N.-sponsored expert panel on climate change is moving on to the next phase: what to do about it.
RENO, Nevada - Backcountry skier Ben Hatchett realized he'd overlooked important weather conditions about the time he heard the distinctive hissing sound of wet snow sliding down a steep mountain.
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island faces a serious threat from climate change but should consider it an opportunity to become a national leader on this front, the head of a legislative panel on the environment said Thursday.
WASHINGTON - The Smithsonian Institution has appointed an expert in climate-change research to lead the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Panama.
FRESNO, California - The Sierra snowpack in drought-stricken California measured at 32 percent of normal Tuesday at a time of year when it's supposed to be at its peak, the state's Department of Water Resources announced.
NEW YORK - On the same day the world's scientists issued their latest report on climate change and the risks it poses to society, the nation's biggest oil and gas company said the world's climate policies are "highly unlikely" to stop it from selling fossil fuels far into the future.
YOKOHAMA, Japan - Global warming makes feeding the world harder and more expensive, a United Nations scientific panel said.
YOKOHAMA, Japan - If the world doesn't cut pollution of heat-trapping gases, the already noticeable harms of global warming could spiral "out of control," the head of a United Nations scientific panel warned Monday.
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Two miles beneath the sea surface where satellites and planes are looking for debris from the missing Malaysian jet, the ocean floor is cold, dark, covered in a squishy muck of dead plankton and - in a potential break for the search - mostly flat. The troubling exception is a steep, rocky drop ending in a deep trench.
YOKOHAMA, Japan - In an authoritative report due out Monday a United Nations climate panel for the first time is connecting hotter global temperatures to hotter global tempers. Top scientists are saying that climate change will complicate and worsen existing global security problems, such as civil wars, strife between nations and refugees.
SAN FRANCISCO - Scientists climbed high into old-growth redwoods in the San Francisco Bay Area as part of a two-day effort to gather data and document the different creatures that live in the tree canopy.
YOKOHAMA, Japan - If you have already read "12 Pieces of Practical Advice from Housecats," now you can move on to "8 Reasons to Worry about Global Warming."
SALEM, Oregon - A swarm of little earthquakes has been rumbling this week beneath Mount Hood, Oregon's tallest peak, but geologists said there is no cause for alarm.
SEATTLE - Seismic signals showed there were two major slides about four minutes apart during Saturday's disaster in Washington state, and afterward smaller slides continued for days, University of Washington researchers said.
PORTLAND, Oregon - Oregon state geologists say they've been watching a recent swarm of small earthquakes on Mount Hood.