- Elephant numbers plunge in Mozambique because of poachers Updated: May-28-15 9:47 am
JOHANNESBURG - Poachers slaughtering elephants in Mozambique cut their population almost in half from 2009 to last year, but in Uganda, elephant numbers are increasing as a result of anti-poaching measures, according to aerial surveys.
- South African rhino survives horrific attack by poachers Updated: May-25-15 1:19 pm
JOHANNESBURG - The rhino's rescuers gave her a name: Hope.
- Man who paid $350,000 kills endangered black rhino in Africa Updated: May-21-15 2:57 pm
DALLAS - A Texas man who bid $350,000 to hunt a black rhinoceros in Africa in what was billed as a conservation fundraiser has killed one of the endangered animals, a Dallas Safari Club official said Thursday.
- Little Rock Zoo: Sue the white rhino dead at 45 Updated: May-20-15 2:29 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A Little Rock Zoo spokeswoman says Sue the white rhino has died at age 45.
- Iowa taxidermist pleads guilty to trafficking rhino horns Updated: May-13-15 6:59 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - A taxidermist has pleaded guilty to purchasing and transporting black rhinoceros horns from Oregon to Iowa.
- PETA sues wildlife service, accuses it of 'pay-to-play' Updated: May-08-15 4:50 pm
McLEAN, Virginia - An animal-rights group sued the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service on Friday to stop a policy it says allows trophy hunters, circus acts and others dealing with threatened species to skirt the Endangered Species Act by making token donations to conservation groups.
- Connecticut lawmakers grapple with ivory, rhino tusk ban Updated: May-05-15 4:04 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut lawmakers are wrestling with a bill that bans the import, sale and purchase of ivory or rhinoceros horns, with some voicing concern about the impact on collectors whose treasures could be rendered worthless.
- Iowa taxidermist charged with trafficking rhino horns Updated: May-05-15 2:07 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A northern Iowa taxidermist has been charged with trafficking horns from a black rhinoceros, a critically endangered African species.