- Zoo could bid farewell to its elephant pair for white rhinos Updated: Jun-25-15 10:28 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - The two elephants that have been at the Virginia Zoo for nearly 50 years combined may find a new home soon.
- Zoo plans to relocate 2 elephants, bring in white rhinos Updated: Jun-25-15 6:59 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - The Virginia Zoo's executive director says he is planning to relocate two elderly elephants, as long as he can find a suitable home for them.
- Breeders want South Africa's ban on rhino horn trade lifted Updated: Jun-23-15 11:57 am
JOHANNESBURG - Calling rhino horns a renewable resource, rhino breeders and game reserve owners have taken the South African government to court to try to overturn its ban on the domestic trade of rhino horn.
- Global raids lead to 600 seizures of wildlife contraband Updated: Jun-18-15 8:55 am
BANGKOK - A series of raids conducted across Asia, Africa and Europe resulted in more than 300 arrests and over 600 seizures of assorted wildlife contraband - from several tons of ivory and rhino horns to whale ribs and sea horses, authorities said Thursday.
- Police arrested in Mozambique for cashing in on poaching Updated: Jun-11-15 9:37 am
MAPUTO, Mozambique - Authorities in Mozambique arrested five police officers for colluding with a poacher in the illegal sale of a rhino horn, the state news agency reported Thursday.
- South African veterinarians intervene to save Hope the rhino Updated: Jun-09-15 3:07 pm
SHAMWARI GAME RESERVE, South Africa - The horns and a large section of the rhino's face were hacked off by poachers, a horrific injury that exposed flesh and bone. One South African veterinarian treating the mutilated animal was so distressed by the suffering that he had to step away, his eyes glassy with tears.
- Little Rock Zoo fundraiser for wild rhinoceros conservation Updated: Jun-09-15 3:11 am
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The Little Rock Chapter of the American Association of Zoo Keepers and the Little Rock Zoo are hosting a fundraiser for wild rhinoceros conservation.