- Connecticut camp helps those affected by devastating loss Updated: Jul-04-15 3:09 am
LITCHFIELD, Connecticut - As they gathered in a circle, campers and adult volunteers got to know each other a bit, talking about their favorite movies, playing silly games and sharing laughs. Set amidst the tranquility of Camp Chinqueka, on the shores on Mount Tom Pond, it almost could have been any camp.
- Top-ranking Mormon leader Boyd K. Packer dies at 90 Updated: Jul-03-15 9:31 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Mormon leader Boyd K. Packer, president of the faith's highest governing body, has died. He was 90.
- Dalai Lama celebrates 80th birthday with California summit Updated: Jul-03-15 6:34 pm
IRVINE, California - It won't be a small, private affair when the Dalai Lama celebrates his 80th birthday this weekend in Southern California.
- Billy Dilworth _veteran Georgia, SC journalist - dies at 80 Updated: Jul-03-15 5:52 pm
ATHENS, Georgia - Billy Dilworth, a veteran journalist whose career touched newspapers, radio and television stations in Georgia and South Carolina, has died, a coroner said Friday. He was 80.
- 1984 Indiana governor candidate Wayne Townsend dies Updated: Jul-03-15 5:09 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Wayne Townsend, the 1984 Democratic nominee for Indiana governor who broke a barrier by picking a woman as his running mate, died Friday at age 89.
- Who's John Jay? Scholars urge new look at forgotten founder Updated: Jul-03-15 3:28 pm
KATONAH, New York - The inner circle of founders has been set for as long as anyone can remember - Washington, Jefferson, Adams, Franklin, Hamilton and Madison.
- Szabad, Hungary's first post-Soviet parliament chief, dies Updated: Jul-03-15 12:26 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Gyorgy Szabad, a historian who survived forced labor during the Holocaust to become the speaker of Hungary's first post-communist Parliament, has died at age 90.
- Longtime Lions stalwart Charlie Sanders dies at age 68 Updated: Jul-02-15 10:21 pm
DETROIT - Hall of Fame tight end Charlie Sanders epitomized Detroit's blue-collar roots.
- John Whitman, husband of former New Jersey governor, dies Updated: Jul-02-15 6:13 pm
MORRISTOWN, New Jersey - John Whitman, the husband of former Republican Gov. Christine Todd Whitman and the state's first-ever first gentleman, died Thursday. He was 71.
- Mexican TV anchor Jacobo Zabludovsky dies at 87 Updated: Jul-02-15 6:07 pm
MEXICO CITY - Jacobo Zabludovsky, a journalist who for decades was seen as a symbol of the tight links between Mexico's government and press, died Thursday at age 87.
- Hall of Fame tight end Charlie Sanders dies at age 68 Updated: Jul-02-15 5:36 pm
DETROIT - The Detroit Lions say Hall of Fame tight end Charlie Sanders has died at age 68.
- Former Virginia Tech athletic director Jim Weaver dies Updated: Jul-02-15 5:36 pm
Jim Weaver, who guided Virginia Tech's transition into the Atlantic Coast Conference and served as the university's athletic director for more than 16 years, has died.
- Lumberjacks' DeGroote dies at 22 while vacationing Updated: Jul-02-15 5:03 pm
DENALI NATIONAL PARK AND PRESERVE, Alaska - Northern Arizona football player Michael DeGroote died after apparently shooting himself with a gun while vacationing with his family in Alaska.
- 2 charged in death of baby who ingested heroin, cocaine Updated: Jul-02-15 1:40 pm
KINGSBURY, New York - Two people have been charged in the overdose death of a 13-month-old New York girl who ingested heroin and cocaine.
- Easygoing Irish crooner Val Doonican dies at 88 Updated: Jul-02-15 11:32 am
LONDON - Val Doonican, an easygoing Irish singer whose warm style and fondness for knitwear made him an icon of light entertainment, has died. He was 88.
- Winton's rescue of Jewish children revealed after 50 years Updated: Jul-02-15 11:15 am
LONDON - "Is there anyone in our audience tonight who owes their life to Nicholas Winton?" asked the presenter of the popular BBC magazine program "That's Life".
- Cancer specialist Arthur Porter dies in Panama Updated: Jul-01-15 9:43 pm
TORONTO - Arthur Porter, a cancer specialist who was facing fraud charges related to a $1.3 billion hospital project in Montreal, died Wednesday in Panama after a lengthy battle with lung cancer, his biographer said. He was 59.
- Former sports writer and publicist Jack Disney dies at 80 Updated: Jul-01-15 7:50 pm
ARCADIA, California - Jack Disney, a longtime sports writer with the old Los Angeles Herald Examiner who later worked in publicity at two Southern California horse racing tracks, has died. He was 80.
- Alabama Rep. Dan Williams dead at age 73 Updated: Jul-01-15 5:13 pm
ATHENS, Alabama - An Alabama lawmaker who once served as mayor of Athens has died at the age of 73.
- Indiana woman seeks visitation with daughter after prison Updated: Jul-01-15 3:43 pm
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - A northern Indiana woman who spent more than five years in prison for battering her infant, who eventually died of the injuries, is pushing for visitation time with her other daughter.
- Nicholas Winton, savior of Jewish children, dies at 106 Updated: Jul-01-15 2:47 pm
LONDON - He was just a 29-year-old clerk at the London Stock Exchange when he faced the challenge of a lifetime. Traveling with a friend to Czechoslovakia in 1938, as the drums of impending war echoed around Europe, Nicholas Winton was hit by a key realization.
- Texas funeral home donates caskets for poor veterans Updated: Jun-30-15 7:47 pm
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Sabrina Thompson's uncle, a Vietnam War veteran named Benjamin Harold Fitts, died May 6.
- Legendary bluesman Robert Johnson's son dies in Mississippi Updated: Jun-30-15 7:40 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A son of legendary Mississippi blues artist Robert Johnson became rich by winning a court fight over his father's estate. But even when finances were no longer a concern, an attorney said Claud Johnson kept the gravel truck he had driven for years - a reminder of the hard work that guided his own life.
- Former French security chief Charles Pasqua dies at 88 Updated: Jun-30-15 1:10 pm
PARIS - Charles Pasqua, a French Resistance fighter who went on to become France's top security chief and a powerful player on the French right, has died in Paris. He was 88.
- Food critic, former AC Press editor Ed Hitzel dead at 64 Updated: Jun-30-15 11:53 am
MAYS LANDING, New Jersey - Longtime food critic, radio personality and newspaper editor in southern New Jersey Ed Hitzel has died. He was 64.