- Towery, who won '55 Pulitzer Prize for local reporting, dies Updated: May-05-16 6:49 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Ken Towery, a small-town Texas journalist who won the 1955 Pulitzer Prize for local reporting at the tiny Cuero Daily Record, has died. He was 93.
- 110-year-old WWII veteran from Louisiana dies Updated: May-05-16 6:27 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A 110-year-old Louisiana man who enlisted in the army during World War II to serve his country has died.
- Former Charlie Hebdo cartoonist Maurice Sinet dies at 87 Updated: May-05-16 7:44 am
PARIS - Maurice Sinet, a former cartoonist for French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo who often created controversy with his blunt views, has died. He was 87.
- Ex-Utah Sen. Bob Bennett, ousted in tea party wave, has died Updated: May-05-16 1:13 am
SALT LAKE CITY - Former U.S. Sen. Bob Bennett, of Utah, who shied away from the spotlight but earned a reputation as someone who knew how to get things done in Washington, has died. He was 82.
- Reutersward, Swedish sculptor of twisted gun barrel, dies Updated: May-04-16 6:38 pm
HELSINKI - Carl Fredrik Reutersward, one of Sweden's best-known modern artists and the creator of the iconic statue of a revolver barrel tied in a knot, has died at the age of 81.
- Colette Abbott, wife of USD president, dies Updated: May-04-16 4:22 pm
VERMILLION, South Dakota - Colette Abbott, the wife of University of South Dakota President James Abbott, died suddenly Wednesday at the couple's residence in Vermillion. She was 59.
- Congo buries its king of rumba, world music star Papa Wemba Updated: May-04-16 3:58 pm
KINSHASA, Congo - Thousands of Congolese attended the funeral Wednesday of Papa Wemba, a musician known around the world as the king of Congolese rumba.
- University: Ohio student collapses on basketball court, dies Updated: May-04-16 3:30 am
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - Officials say a university student in Ohio collapsed while playing basketball at a campus recreation center and has died.
- 911 calls to Prince estate ranged from mundane to serious Updated: May-03-16 7:16 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Authorities and emergency responders were called to Prince's suburban Minneapolis home over the last five years for everything from mundane reports of tripped fire alarms to more serious medical calls, a log released Tuesday shows.
- Dear Mama: Afeni Shakur, mother of rapper Tupac Shakur, dies Updated: May-03-16 5:34 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Afeni Shakur, the former Black Panther who inspired the work of her son, rap icon Tupac Shakur, and fostered his legacy for decades after he was slain, has died of an apparent heart attack, authorities said Tuesday. She was 69.
- Chicago: Students can access bathrooms by gender identity Updated: May-03-16 3:30 pm
CHICAGO - Chicago Public Schools will allow transgender students and employees to use bathrooms and locker rooms corresponding to their gender identities, according to guidelines released Tuesday by the nation's third-largest school district.
- Daniel Aaron, groundbreaking scholar, dead at 103 Updated: May-03-16 3:15 pm
NEW YORK - Daniel Aaron, a founding scholar and ambassador of American studies who explored and explained his country through books, essays and diplomatic missions and helped preserve the literary canon as the first president of the Library of America, has died.
- Priest to be ordained bishop of Metuchen diocese Updated: May-03-16 7:39 am
SOUTH PLAINFIELD, New Jersey - Roman Catholics in New Jersey's Metuchen Diocese are getting a new bishop.
- Refugee sets herself alight at immigration camp on Nauru Updated: May-02-16 9:52 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - A Somali refugee was critically injured when she set herself on fire at an Australian immigration camp on the Pacific island nation of Nauru three days after an Iranian refugee died of injuries sustained in a similar apparent protest, officials said.
- Owner of Okolona Messenger newspaper dies at 72 Updated: May-02-16 6:44 pm
OKOLONA, Mississippi - Murry Blankenship, the longtime owner, editor and publisher of The Okolona Messenger newspaper in north Mississippi, has died. He was 72.
- George Weymouth, artist who hid Wyeth's 'Helga' works, dies Updated: May-02-16 6:13 pm
CHADDS FORD, Pennsylvania - George Weymouth, a museum founder, conservationist and artist who for years helped hide a secret cache of Andrew Wyeth's "Helga" portraits, has died.
- Remo Belli, musician who pioneered synthetic drumheads, dies Updated: May-02-16 5:47 pm
PASADENA, California - Remo Belli, a musician who pioneered the synthetic drumhead in time to help a generation of rock-and-rollers shape their sound and then saw it become standard on kits across genres, has died in California.
- Illinois construction worker dies weeks after explosion Updated: May-02-16 2:41 pm
ST. LOUIS - A construction worker from southwest Illinois has died several weeks after suffering severe burns in a gas explosion while on the job.
- Officials: Inmates dies at Maine Correctional Center Updated: May-02-16 11:53 am
WINDHAM, Maine - The Department of Corrections says a prisoner has died at the Maine Correctional Center in Windham.
- Infant dies at hospital after wreck on rural Oklahoma road Updated: May-02-16 9:28 am
VALLIANT, Oklahoma - The Oklahoma Highway Patrol says a 6-week-old baby has died after the vehicle he was riding in collided with a cow on a rural road.
- Malia Obama to enter Harvard in 2017 after taking gap year Updated: May-02-16 7:52 am
WASHINGTON - A year off between high school and college is becoming a popular choice for U.S. students and it has caught the eye of President Barack Obama's daughter, Malia. The White House says the high school senior will enter Harvard in 2017, not later this year as had been widely expected.
- Scalia's loss raises questions for Supreme Court Updated: May-02-16 3:48 am
WASHINGTON - Two months, 31 arguments and 18 decisions since the death of Justice Antonin Scalia, is the Supreme Court hopelessly deadlocked or coping as a party of eight?
- Funeral for ex-Patriot Ron Brace scheduled for Monday Updated: May-01-16 11:17 am
SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts - Former New England Patriots defensive lineman Ron Brace is being laid to rest in his home town.
- Jesuit priest, peace activist Daniel Berrigan dies at 94 Updated: Apr-30-16 10:01 pm
NEW YORK - The Rev. Daniel Berrigan, a Roman Catholic priest and peace activist who was imprisoned for burning draft files in a protest against the Vietnam War, died Saturday. He was 94.
- State Penitentiary inmate dies at hospital after falling ill Updated: Apr-30-16 4:52 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - A 63-year-old inmate at the South Dakota State Penitentiary has died at a Sioux Falls hospital after falling ill.