- Van Gogh work fetches over $66 million at New York auction Updated: May-05-15 9:40 pm
NEW YORK - A painting Vincent van Gogh created while briefly working side by side with his friend Paul Gauguin in the south of France brought in $66.3 million at auction Tuesday.
- North Texas star forward Eboniey Jeter found dead in dorm Updated: May-05-15 9:16 pm
DENTON, Texas - Forward Eboniey Jeter, who led the North Texas Mean Green women's basketball squad in shooting percentage last season, has been found dead in her dorm room. She was 21.
- Food critic Josh Ozersky found dead in Chicago hotel Updated: May-05-15 3:46 pm
CHICAGO - Authorities say a well-known food critic who was in Chicago for the James Beard Foundation Awards has been found dead in his hotel room.
- Ellen Albertini Dow, 'Wedding Singer' rapper, dies at 101 Updated: May-05-15 2:52 pm
LOS ANGELES - Ellen Albertini Dow, a feisty character actress best known for her salty rendition of "Rapper's Delight" in "The Wedding Singer," has died. She was 101.
- AP source: Goldberg died after collapsing in gym Updated: May-04-15 10:14 pm
David Goldberg, the SurveyMonkey CEO who also was Facebook executive Sheryl Sandberg's husband, was exercising at a gym in a Mexican resort when he collapsed before he died Friday, a person close to the family said.
- Oscar-winning writer of 'Dances With Wolves' novel dies Updated: May-04-15 8:13 pm
TUCSON, Arizona - Michael Blake, the writer whose novel "Dances With Wolves" became a major hit movie and earned him an Academy Award for the screenplay, has died.
- EU, German heads at funeral of former Polish FM Bartoszewski Updated: May-04-15 11:37 am
WARSAW, Poland - Wladyslaw Bartoszewski, the former Auschwitz prisoner who helped save Jews from the Holocaust and later became Poland's foreign minister, was a joyful person who inspired deep respect, top European officials said in eulogies Monday at his state funeral in Warsaw.
- 'Star Trek' actress Grace Lee Whitney dies at 85 Updated: May-04-15 4:29 am
LOS ANGELES - Grace Lee Whitney, who played Captain Kirk's assistant on the original "Star Trek" series, has died. She was 85.
- Texas the front line on high school ECG debate Updated: May-03-15 2:52 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Cody Stephens was trying to shed some of the 290 pounds from his 6-foot-9 frame before graduating high school and attending his first college football training camp three summers ago when he took a nap and didn't wake up. The autopsy showed he had an enlarged heart, which gave out.
- Ashes of ballerina Plisetskaya to be spread over Russia Updated: May-03-15 12:31 pm
MOSCOW - The ashes of Maya Plisetskaya, the renowned Bolshoi Theater ballerina who died this weekend, will be spread over Russia in accordance with her wishes.
- Touching, funny, messages in obits getting wide audience Updated: May-03-15 12:16 pm
WHITE PLAINS, New York - Take a friend fishing. Don't vote for Hillary Rodham Clinton. Buy a lottery ticket. And keep Mom away from my ashes.
- David Goldberg, tech exec married to 'Lean In' author, dies Updated: May-03-15 1:08 am
SAN FRANCISCO - David Goldberg, a popular Silicon Valley executive and husband of Facebook second-in-command and "Lean In" author Sheryl Sandberg, has died suddenly at age 47, his company and family members said Saturday.
- Father of Reno mayor dies from burns in travel trailer fire Updated: May-02-15 10:08 pm
LAS VEGAS - Dr. Donald Schieve (sheev-ee), the father of Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve, died in Las Vegas on Saturday, four days after he was critically injured in a fire at his travel trailer in Bullhead City, Arizona.
- Russian ballerina Plisetskaya dies at 89 Updated: May-02-15 9:22 pm
MOSCOW - Maya Plisetskaya, regarded as one of the greatest ballerinas of the 20th century and whose career at the Bolshoi Theater spanned more than 35 years, has died at age 89.
- Bills stock up on Florida State Seminoles in NFL draft Updated: May-02-15 8:21 pm
ORCHARD PARK, New York - General manager Doug Whaley joked the Buffalo Bills could have saved some money on scouting by simply targeting Florida State players.
- Frank Olivo, Santa pelted with snow at '68 Eagles game, dies Updated: May-02-15 4:22 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The fill-in Santa whose downfield jaunt at a Philadelphia Eagles game in 1968 lives on in sports history for the hail of snowballs and shower of boos that rained down on him has died. Frank Olivo was 66.
- Rio Ferdinand's wife Rebecca dies after battle with cancer Updated: May-02-15 3:03 pm
LONDON - The wife of Queens Park Rangers defender Rio Ferdinand has died aged 34 following a short battle with cancer.
- 6-time world motorcycling champion Geoff Duke dies aged 92 Updated: May-02-15 12:33 pm
LONDON - Geoff Duke, who won six world motorcycling titles and became the sport's first global star, has died. He was 92.
- Dan Farley, longtime horse racing writer, dies at 72 Updated: May-02-15 12:21 pm
MECHANICSVILLE, Virginia - Dan Farley, an award-winning horse racing writer who covered hundreds of Triple Crown and Breeders' Cup races and was a former president of the National Turf Writers and Broadcasters Association, has died. He was 72.
- Crime and mystery writer Ruth Rendell dies at 85 Updated: May-02-15 10:12 am
LONDON - Mystery writer Ruth Rendell, who brought psychological insight and social conscience to the classic British detective story, has died at the age of 85.
- Pete Brown, first black player to win PGA Tour event, dies Updated: May-01-15 10:58 pm
AUGUSTA, Georgia - Pete Brown, the first black player to win a PGA Tour event, died Friday. He was 80.
- Feds drop charges against hunter in huge Yosemite wildfire Updated: May-01-15 6:01 pm
FRESNO, California - Criminal charges were dropped against a bow hunter accused of starting one of California's largest wildfires, a blaze that burned parts of Yosemite National Park, federal prosecutors said Friday.
- 'Stand By Me' singer Ben E. King dead at age 76 Updated: May-01-15 4:08 pm
NEW YORK - Ben E. King, the unforgettable lead singer for the Drifters and solo star whose plaintive baritone graced such pop and rhythm 'n blues classics as "Stand by Me," ''There Goes My Baby" and "Spanish Harlem," has died. He was 76.
- Mexican actress best known for 'La India Maria' dies Updated: May-01-15 2:19 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexican actress and comedian Maria Elena Velasco, best known for her character "The Indian Maria," has died at age 74.
- Woman with rare cancer dies before teaching career can start Updated: May-01-15 9:07 am
CHARLES CITY, Iowa - A 25-year-old Iowa woman who was diagnosed with a rare cancer has died, her pursuit of a teaching career and her life cut short.