- Gabriel Garcia Marquez hailed as literary giant Updated: Apr-18-14 11:08 pm
- Young Australian forward dies after cancer fight Updated: Apr-18-14 5:11 pm
- Baton Rouge school board member collapses, dies Updated: Apr-18-14 4:43 pm
- Lexington County Coroner Harry Harman dies at 79 Updated: Apr-18-14 3:08 pm
- Former Alabama Senate Secretary Lee remembered Updated: Apr-18-14 2:02 pm
- Peaches Geldof funeral to be held on Easter Monday Updated: Apr-18-14 7:35 am
- Princess Lacey's life celebrated at Michigan State Updated: Apr-17-14 9:52 pm
- World reacts to death of Gabriel Garcia Marquez Updated: Apr-17-14 8:58 pm
- Works by Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez Updated: Apr-17-14 8:19 pm
- Davis dies, will provides for ranch use by UW, CSU Updated: Apr-17-14 7:10 pm
- Former SLU president Clea Parker dies Updated: Apr-17-14 5:01 pm
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87 Updated: Apr-17-14 4:10 pm
- Correction: Obit-Hight Updated: Apr-17-14 3:23 pm
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies Updated: Apr-17-14 12:46 pm
- Montana inmate dies at Colorado prison Updated: Apr-17-14 12:35 pm
- Father of US Senate candidate Harris dies at 89 Updated: Apr-17-14 12:18 pm
- Servier, lab founder in drug scandal, dies at 92 Updated: Apr-17-14 7:52 am
- Malaysian lawmaker and lawyer Karpal Singh dies Updated: Apr-16-14 10:56 pm
- 'Paul Robeson' playwright Phillip Hayes Dean dies Updated: Apr-16-14 6:59 pm
- Romanian poet, dissident Nina Cassian dies Updated: Apr-16-14 4:05 pm
- Aspiring pilot recruited to be Navajo Code Talker Updated: Apr-15-14 8:46 pm
- Former Kansas social services chief Harder dies Updated: Apr-15-14 6:05 pm
- W.Va. GOP says former US Rep. Mick Staton has died Updated: Apr-15-14 2:19 pm
- Hap Owen dies at the age of 94 Updated: Apr-15-14 8:43 am
- Former ECCC President Eddie M. Smith dies Updated: Apr-15-14 8:26 am
MEXICO CITY - His death mourned around the globe, Gabriel Garcia Marquez is being hailed as a giant of modern literature, a writer of intoxicating novels and short stories that illuminated Latin America's passions, superstition, violence and social inequality.
LONDON - Emerging Australian forward Dylan Tombides, who broke into the West Ham first-team squad while receiving cancer treatment, has died. He was 20.
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Funeral services are scheduled next week for East Baton Rouge Parish School Board member Randy Lamana, who collapsed as he walked to his car at the Capitol after a legislative hearing on restructuring the school system.
LEXINGTON, South Carolina - Lexington County Coroner Harry Harman has died after more than three decades in office. He was 79.
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama lieutenant governors are remembering the former secretary of the Alabama Senate, McDowell Lee, for his dedication and service to the state and to them.
LONDON - The family of Peaches Geldof say her funeral will be take place on Easter Monday at the same church where her mother's funeral was held.
EAST LANSING, Michigan - Lacey Holsworth did not stop smiling until cancer took her life.
Reaction to death of writer Gabriel Garcia Marquez:
Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez was among Latin America's most popular writers and widely considered the father of a literary style known as magic realism.
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - The will of a wealthy Denver philanthropist who has died contains a large financial incentive for the University of Wyoming and Colorado State University to use a ranch for agricultural education rather than sell the property, the executor of her estate said Thursday.
HAMMOND, Louisiana - Former Southeastern Louisiana University President Clea (CLEE) E. Parker has died.
MEXICO CITY - A person close to the family has confirmed reports that that Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez has died. He was 87.
LOUISVILLE, Mississippi - In an April 16 obituary on Juanita McCown Hight, The Associated Press erroneously reported that William Hight bought the Winston County Journal in 1943. The newspaper was owned by the Hight family, and William Hight became editor in 1943 when his father died.
NEW YORK - Basil Paterson, a longtime New York political powerhouse and the father of former Gov. David Paterson, has died, his family said Thursday. He was 87.
HELENA, Montana - Montana State Prison officials say an inmate has died of an apparent hanging at a Colorado prison.
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina - The father of North Carolina U.S. Senate candidate Mark Harris has died.
PARIS - Jacques Servier, the founder of France's second-largest pharmaceutical group who became ensnared in a scandal over a diabetes drug widely used for weight loss, has died.
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Veteran Malaysian opposition lawmaker Karpal Singh, an eminent lawyer who had been detained without trial under security laws and battled numerous sedition charges, has died in a road accident. He was 73.
NEW YORK - Phillip Hayes Dean, a playwright, director and theater actor who wrote the one-man play "Paul Robeson" starring James Earl Jones on Broadway in 1978, died Monday in Los Angeles from a heart condition, according to a family spokesman. He was 83.
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian poet and translator Nina Cassian, who obtained political asylum in the United States after the Communist-era secret police found her critical poems scribbled in a friend's diary, has died in New York City. She was 89.
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A Navajo man who aspired to be a pilot but was recruited to become a Code Talker during World War II has died.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Robert C. Harder, a former Kansas legislator who helped create the agency that became the state Department for Children and Families, has died from a brain tumor, his family said. He was 84.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Former U.S. Rep. Mick Staton died Monday, a West Virginia Republican Party official said. Staton was 74.
MADISON, Mississippi - A memorial service is scheduled Tuesday for Harry D. "Hap" Owen Sr., the former executive vice president of Ergon Inc. and one-time leader of Mississippi's economic development agency.
DECATUR, Mississippi - Former East Central Community College President Eddie M. Smith died Monday at his home in Decatur, following a lengthy illness. He was 71.