- SD National Guard members visit Suriname to meet officials Updated: Aug-28-15 2:29 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - South Dakota National Guard members recently traveled to the South American country of Suriname (SUR'-ih-nahm) to share with officials ways in which military personnel can help during disaster relief efforts.
- Firefighters holding their own against giant wildfire Updated: Aug-28-15 1:20 am
CHELAN, Washington - Firefighters were holding their own Thursday against the largest wildfire on record in Washington state, even as rising temperatures and increased winds stoked the flames.
- NJ motorcyclist survives 50-foot fall into Passaic River Updated: Aug-27-15 11:35 pm
EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey - Police say a Bergen County man was hospitalized after he was thrown from his motorcycle and fell 50 feet into the Passaic River.
- Smoke forces move of 30 patients at Connecticut hospital Updated: Aug-27-15 11:31 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Officials say smoke from an electrical malfunction has caused the emergency room at St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center to be evacuated and 30 patients to be relocated at the facility.
- TS Erika kills 4 in Dominica; takes aim at Puerto Rico Updated: Aug-27-15 11:13 pm
ROSEAU, Dominica - Rescue crews fanned across Dominica late Thursday to search for missing and injured people after Tropical Storm Erika pummeled the eastern Caribbean island, unleashing landslides and killing at least four people.
- Gillette bus driver pleads guilty to crash that killed 3 Updated: Aug-27-15 10:29 pm
GILLETTE, Wyoming - A Gillette bus driver accused of killing three people after a crash last year in a construction zone will avoid prison after pleading guilty to reduced charges as part of an agreement with prosecutors.
- Governor issues executive order to help wildfire recovery Updated: Aug-27-15 10:26 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown has released emergency recovery funding for major wildfires in central and northern California.
- Montana man pleads not guilty to fatal drunken-driving crash Updated: Aug-27-15 9:49 pm
KALISPELL, Montana - A 23-year-old Montana man accused in a drunken-driving crash that killed a Nebraska physician has pleaded not guilty to a vehicular homicide charge.
- Judge: Government should pay $3 billion to repair wetlands Updated: Aug-27-15 9:46 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A judge ruled Thursday that the federal government should foot the bill - tagged at about $3 billion - for fixing damage done to wetlands just outside New Orleans by a shipping channel the Army Corps of Engineers dug in the 1960s.
- With 2 killings this week, Louisiana police deaths rising Updated: Aug-27-15 9:42 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Police badges in Louisiana are banded with black ribbons more than usual this year, a grim reminder that officer deaths are on the rise with two killings just this week alone.
- Crean questions leadership after latest legal problem Updated: Aug-27-15 9:41 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana coach Tom Crean questioned his team's leadership and challenged his players to make better decisions on and off the court Thursday.
- Jury wants life sentence for man who killed 5 in Denver bar Updated: Aug-27-15 9:10 pm
DENVER - A man convicted of stabbing five people to death at a Denver bar and setting the business on fire will not be executed and instead will serve a lifelong prison sentence, a jury decided Thursday.
- Obama to people of New Orleans: You inspire me, and America Updated: Aug-27-15 9:01 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Visiting residents on tidy porch stoops and sampling the fried chicken at a corner restaurant, President Barack Obama held out the people of New Orleans on Thursday as an extraordinary example of renewal and resilience 10 years after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.
- Man surrenders to police in crash that killed bicyclist Updated: Aug-27-15 8:37 pm
MONTAGUE TOWNSHIP, Michigan - A 26-year-old western Michigan man faces charges in a hit-and-run crash that killed a 50-year-old Detroit-area bicyclist.
- Fire burns sheriff's substation, city offices in Mill City Updated: Aug-27-15 8:20 pm
MILL CITY, Oregon - Linn County Sheriff Bruce Riley says a building in Milly City housing a sheriff's substation and various city government offices has been destroyed by fire.
- Senators: More must be done to prevent future wildfires Updated: Aug-27-15 8:10 pm
SEATTLE - As Washington and other Western states battle huge blazes this summer, two U.S. senators said at a field hearing in Seattle that more needs to be done to prepare for and help prevent future wildfires.
- Highway closed, evacuations ordered near Montana wildfires Updated: Aug-27-15 7:58 pm
HELENA, Montana - An advancing wildfire led to the evacuation about 100 residents Thursday from their homes on the southern boundary of Montana's Glacier National Park and forced the closure of a main highway.
- Californians cut water without state imposing fines Updated: Aug-27-15 7:49 pm
FRESNO, California - For the second straight month, Californians exceeded hefty water conservation mandates during the relentless drought without the state imposing fines, officials said Thursday.
- 8 people injured in Bellevue wrong-way crash Updated: Aug-27-15 7:41 pm
BELLEVUE, Washington - Eight people were injured Thursday in a multiple-car crash in suburban Bellevue.
- Man, dog killing in house fire Updated: Aug-27-15 7:40 pm
GULF BREEZE, Florida - Authorities say a man and a dog were killed in a Florida Panhandle house fire.
- Lenexa patrol car not hit by bullet Updated: Aug-27-15 7:13 pm
LENEXA, Kansas - Investigators have determined that the windshield on a Lenexa patrol cracked from a stress fracture and not from a bullet as earlier believed.
- Man hospitalized after bison attack on Catalina Island Updated: Aug-27-15 7:11 pm
AVALON, California - The head of a conservation group has been gored by a bison on Santa Catalina Island, off the Southern California coast.
- Company in Vikings stadium fatality had 9 safety violations Updated: Aug-27-15 6:05 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The subcontractor involved in a fatal accident at the Minnesota Vikings stadium construction site has received nine citations for worksite safety violations in the past five years, according to public records.
- Longtime Saints recall the team's role in Katrina recovery Updated: Aug-27-15 6:03 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Coming off a career-threatening injury, Drew Brees had little choice but to sign with a downtrodden franchise in a disaster zone. Sean Payton became coach of the Saints only after being passed over for the job he really wanted in Green Bay.
- Shark attack turns victim into a hunter and then an advocate Updated: Aug-27-15 5:51 pm
POMPANO BEACH, Florida - Forty years ago, "Jaws" thrilled Al Brenneka like any other moviegoer, but he figured his chances of encountering a shark in the ocean were slim to none.