- Minnesota dentist rarely discussed hunting with patients Updated: Jul-29-15 6:12 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A Minnesota dentist who has become the target of worldwide outrage for hunting and killing a protected lion in Zimbabwe advised patients Wednesday to seek care elsewhere and said he rarely discussed his big-game hunting because it can be a "divisive and emotionally charged topic."
- US official: Debris in photo belongs to Boeing 777 Updated: Jul-29-15 6:08 pm
WASHINGTON - A U.S. official says air safety investigators have a "high degree of confidence" that a photo of aircraft debris found in the Indian Ocean is of a wing component unique to the Boeing 777, the same model as the Malaysia Airlines plane that disappeared last year.
- California firefighters hold blaze that jumped line Updated: Jul-29-15 5:59 pm
NAPA, California - Crews battling the toughest of several wildfires burning across the state held their ground Wednesday, keeping a blaze east of California's Napa Valley from jumping any more containment lines, fire officials said.
- The Latest: Mia Farrow tweets lion hunter's address Updated: Jul-29-15 5:58 pm
BLOOMINGTON, Minnesota - The latest information on the Minnesota hunter and guides in Zimbabwe who killed a protected lion during a hunt in the African nation (all times are Central):
- 5 Things to Know in Florida for July 30 Updated: Jul-29-15 5:47 pm
Your daily look at news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today.
- Probe into California tree fall begins; kids seriously hurt Updated: Jul-29-15 5:46 pm
PASADENA, California - An investigation began Wednesday into why a 75-year-old, 75-foot-tall pine tree fell on a group of kids from a summer camp at a Southern California children's museum, leaving a young boy and girl hospitalized with serious injuries, officials said.
- Environmentalists re-establishing Barnegat Bay oyster colony Updated: Jul-29-15 5:43 pm
OCEAN GATE, New Jersey - An environmental group took a major step on Wednesday toward re-establishing an oyster colony in Barnegat Bay.
- Sink hole delays buses picking up kids from baseball game Updated: Jul-29-15 5:25 pm
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - A sinkhole in Manchester waylaid school buses trying to pick up children after a New Hampshire Fisher Cats baseball game ended.
- Recycling, desalination focus of new Feinstein drought bill Updated: Jul-29-15 5:04 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California introduced a new drought relief bill Wednesday that emphasizes long-term investments in desalination, recycling and new or expanded reservoirs.
- Teens' 6 days adrift verge on limits for survival at sea Updated: Jul-29-15 5:02 pm
TEQUESTA, Florida - Crews pushed the limits of an ever-expanding search zone Wednesday for two teens missing at sea and potentially nearing the boundaries of human survival.
- France deploys riot police to bolster Calais security Updated: Jul-29-15 5:02 pm
CALAIS, France - The young Afghan has tried every single day for three months to get into the railway tunnel in Calais leading to England and what he hopes will be a better life. For him, like the dozens who appeared as darkness fell, Wednesday would be the same even if their numbers were immeasurably larger than even a week ago.
- Cochise County officials weigh need for, risks of helicopter Updated: Jul-29-15 5:00 pm
SIERRA VISTA, Arizona - Cochise County supervisors are questioning whether the sheriff's office needs a helicopter to replace one that crashed, killing the pilot and another person.
- State Police: Bus in fatal crash hadn't registered for trip Updated: Jul-29-15 4:55 pm
GREENFIELD, Indiana - A church bus that overturned near Indianapolis this week, killing a 6-year-old and injuring several others, lacked a required federal registration needed for its planned out-of-state trip, Indiana State Police said Wednesday.
- 1 dead, 10 injured as church van crashes into train in Ohio Updated: Jul-29-15 4:31 pm
CINCINNATI - A van carrying vacation Bible school students crashed through a crossing gate and into the side of a freight train at a southwest Ohio rail crossing, killing an adult passenger and injuring nine children and the driver, authorities said Wednesday.
- 2 cruise ship workers injured while docked in Hilo Updated: Jul-29-15 4:24 pm
HILO, Hawaii - Officials say two crewmembers of Norwegian Cruise Line's Pride of America were seriously injured while working aboard the ship when it was docked in the port of Hilo.
- Gary church bishop unaware driver had a suspended license Updated: Jul-29-15 4:05 pm
GREENFIELD, Indiana - The bishop of a Gary church says she was unaware the driver of bus carrying parishioners involved in a crash that killed a 6-year-old boy was driving with a suspended license.
- Man gets life plus 8 to 16 years in girlfriend's slaying Updated: Jul-29-15 3:59 pm
ALLENTOWN, Pennsylvania - An eastern Pennsylvania man has been sentenced to life in prison plus eight to 16 years in the strangulation death of his girlfriend last year.
- Ceremony marks 10th anniversary of Avon Mountain crash Updated: Jul-29-15 3:42 pm
AVON, Connecticut - Victims' relatives and emergency responders were among those who gathered to mark the 10th anniversary of the fiery Avon Mountain crash that killed four people and injured 19 others.
- Michigan warns of wildfire danger because of heat, dryness Updated: Jul-29-15 3:42 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan authorities say there's a growing danger of wildfires because of hot weather and a lack of rain in many parts of the state.
- California's big cities say June water-saving goals were met Updated: Jul-29-15 3:32 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's largest cities said water conservation goals ordered by Gov. Jerry Brown were met or exceeded in June - the first month of mandatory cutbacks during the drought.
- Autopsy: 'Versailles' daughter died of accidental overdose Updated: Jul-29-15 3:15 pm
ORLANDO, Florida - An autopsy released Wednesday shows that the 18-year-old daughter of the stars of the "Queen of Versailles" documentary who had struggled with an addiction to a drug used to control her seizures died last month of an accidental overdose.
- GE plant fire probe finds problems with sprinklers, hydrants Updated: Jul-29-15 3:06 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - An outdated sprinkler system, alarms that didn't activate properly and inoperable hydrants contributed to the intensity of an April 3 fire at General Electric's Appliance Park that destroyed a massive warehouse.
- Bend to revisit compensation for broken water main damage Updated: Jul-29-15 2:52 pm
BEND, Oregon - The city of Bend will consider whether to pay more for the damage caused to residents' homes by flooding from a broken water main.
- 2 Southington teens identified as I-84 fatal crash victims Updated: Jul-29-15 2:52 pm
SOUTHINGTON, Connecticut - State police have identified two teenagers who were killed when their car went off Interstate 84 in Southington, rolled over and hit a tree.
- Rain stymies drought in about half of New Mexico Updated: Jul-29-15 2:11 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - More than 49 percent of the state is free of drought conditions following the fourth-wettest six months the state has seen.