- Forest Service chief expects busy firefighting season Updated: May-05-15 2:29 pm
WASHINGTON - The head of the U.S. Forest Service says the cost of fighting wildfires this season could be well over $1 billion and that the agency may have to borrow money from the very programs designed to prevent big fires in the first place.
- Motorcyclist killed in collision with truck in Delaware Updated: May-05-15 2:22 pm
LEWES, Delaware - Delaware State Police say a motorcyclist was killed in a crash with a pickup truck in Lewes.
- Chrysler worker dies in accident at Detroit plant Updated: May-05-15 2:16 pm
DETROIT - A 53-year-old man has died while performing maintenance at a wastewater treatment plant at a Chrysler factory in Detroit.
- Georgia sheriff calls woman's shooting tragic accident Updated: May-05-15 2:10 pm
ATLANTA - A metro Atlanta sheriff who shot and critically injured a woman says that the victim is a dear friend and that he's been focused on her family since the shooting.
- Regulators: California fell far short of water-saving target Updated: May-05-15 2:07 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Californians conserved little water in March and local officials were not aggressive in cracking down on waste, state regulators reported Tuesday, saying residents and communities again fell short of Gov. Jerry Brown's voluntary water savings target.
- Vermont brush fire threat lingers; state bans burning Updated: May-05-15 2:02 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The state of Vermont is banning outside burning of brush to reduce the threat of fires during an extended dry stretch.
- Geological survey: Small quake shakes area north of Sedona Updated: May-05-15 1:58 pm
SEDONA, Arizona - A small earthquake occurred in northern Arizona overnight.
- 60 bodies recovered in Nepal valley hit by quake, mudslide Updated: May-05-15 1:52 pm
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Emergency workers have recovered the bodies of 60 people - including nine foreigners - who were killed when Nepal's earthquake triggered a mudslide that buried a village in the scenic Langtang Valley popular with tourists.
- US reopens investigation into Jeep, Dodge sun visors Updated: May-05-15 1:29 pm
DETROIT - The U.S. government is reopening an investigation into Jeep and Dodge sun visors after reports that some caught fire even after a recall repair.
- 13 homeless after blaze destroys Montrose apartment building Updated: May-05-15 1:26 pm
MONTROSE, Colorado - Firefighters say a dangerous blaze that destroyed an apartment building and displaced 13 residents probably started from a charcoal grill on the deck.
- Indiana woman accused of burning father seeks plea deal Updated: May-05-15 1:25 pm
RICHMOND, Indiana - A Centerville woman plans to plead guilty but mentally ill to burning her father to death in 2011, according to court documents.
- AP Exclusive: Video shows migrant rescue of deflating dinghy Updated: May-05-15 1:25 pm
CATANIA, Sicily - Migrants frantically shimmied up ropes dangling from a towering rescue ship and others jumped into the water grasping at lifesavers. Five bodies were recovered and more were feared drowned in the latest Mediterranean migrant tragedy.
- Gov. Deal signs bill making fireworks sales legal in Georgia Updated: May-05-15 1:22 pm
ATLANTA - Gov. Nathan Deal signed a bill Tuesday legalizing the sale of fireworks in Georgia.
- Idaho authorities identify Montana woman killed in ATV crash Updated: May-05-15 1:19 pm
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho - Eastern Idaho authorities have identified the Montana woman who died in an all-terrain vehicle crash at the St. Anthony Sand Dunes.
- Storms in West Texas leave behind high water, close schools Updated: May-05-15 12:55 pm
TAHOKA, Texas - A West Texas school district has called off classes for the day after nearly 7 inches of rain left behind flooded roads.
- Man's secret cake ingredient for YouTube stunt? Gasoline Updated: May-05-15 12:44 pm
MAYWOOD, New Jersey - A northern New Jersey man lit his kitchen table on fire by adding lighter fluid and gasoline to a birthday cake recipe so he could post a video of the fiery result on YouTube.
- Body found in road near hospital may have been pedestrian Updated: May-05-15 12:40 pm
MCKEESPORT, Pennsylvania - Police were trying to determine whether a man found dead in the street near a western Pennsylvania hospital was a pedestrian and, if so, who struck him with a vehicle and why.
- 3 cyclists injured in hit-and-run crash Updated: May-05-15 12:37 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - State police say three cyclists were injured -- one seriously -- in a hit-and-run crash on Nicholson Drive about four miles south of the LSU campus.
- Firefighter recruits find training tough, but satisfying Updated: May-05-15 12:29 pm
DECATUR, Alabama - Flames leap through the room, glass windows break from the heat and smoke billows from crevices of the small, ranch-style house.
- Mobile home fire that killed 3 women accidental Updated: May-05-15 12:28 pm
COATESVILLE, Pennsylvania - Authorities say a fire in a mobile home that killed three women was accidentally sparked by smoking materials discarded outside during conditions ideal for the spread of fire.
- Pilot hospitalized after paraglider crashes in NE Indiana Updated: May-05-15 12:26 pm
ORLAND, Indiana - A 59-year-old northeastern Indiana man has been hospitalized after his motorized paraglider crashed into trees.
- 3 lanes reopen on northbound I-5 through downtown Seattle Updated: May-05-15 12:17 pm
SEATTLE - The Washington State Department of Transportation says three lanes of Interstate 5 through downtown Seattle have reopened. A multi-vehicle crash had closed the freeway for nearly an hour during morning rush hour.
- Craig man arrested in suspected DUI crash that killed dad Updated: May-05-15 12:16 pm
CRAIG, Colorado - A 20-year-old Craig man is facing a vehicular homicide charge after his father was thrown from his car in a suspected DUI crash.
- Victim of central Montana crash identified Updated: May-05-15 12:04 pm
GREAT FALLS, Montana - Authorities have released the name of a 21-year-old man who died in a one-vehicle crash in central Montana.
- Central Illinois village worried about diesel fuel spill Updated: May-05-15 10:58 am
SIDNEY, Illinois - Officials in the central Illinois village of Sidney say they're worried thousands of gallons of diesel fuel that spilled into a creek could threaten fish.