- Businesses quietly switch to dollar in socialist Venezuela Updated: May-25-15 12:22 am
CARACAS, Venezuela - It's still possible to buy a gleaming Ford truck in Venezuela, rent a chic apartment in Caracas, and snag an American Airlines flight to Miami. Just not in the country's official currency.
- Actress, comedian Anne Meara, nominated for 4 Emmys, dies Updated: May-24-15 7:58 pm
LOS ANGELES - Anne Meara, the loopy, lovable comedian who launched a standup career with husband Jerry Stiller in the 1950s and found success as an actress in films, on TV and the stage, has died.
- Actress Anne Meara, wife of Jerry Stiller, dies Updated: May-24-15 7:55 pm
LOS ANGELES - Actress and comedian Anne Meara, whose comic work with husband Jerry Stiller helped launch a 60-year career in film and TV, has died. She was 85.
- Community college offering certificates to brewing students Updated: May-24-15 2:32 pm
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - Piedmont Virginia Community College has started offering students the opportunity to earn a certificate in the growing industry of craft brewing.
- Nigerian cellphone provider needs fuel to prevent shut-down Updated: May-24-15 2:19 pm
LAGOS, Nigeria - Nigeria's leading cellphone provider said Sunday it urgently needs diesel to prevent shutting down services countrywide - the latest business hit by a months-long fuel crisis in Africa's biggest oil producer.
- Tok man arrested, charged with shooting into sporting store Updated: May-24-15 2:14 pm
FAIRBANKS, Alaska - A Tok man has been jailed after troopers say he fired a gun into a sporting goods store while his wife was locked inside.
- Pinot noir celebrates 50 years in Willamette Valley Updated: May-24-15 1:05 pm
SHERWOOD, Oregon - The founding families of Oregon pinot noir scoured the Pacific Northwest to find the perfect place for vines that need long, cool, consistent summers. An area with a growing season that won't freeze the buds before they burst into grapes, but won't scorch the delicate fruit, either.
- North Dakota searching for its 2015 Dairy Princess Updated: May-24-15 9:28 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - North Dakota is searching for its 2015 Dairy Princess.
- Hawaii groups plant coconut trees, protest against Monsanto Updated: May-24-15 4:01 am
HONOLULU - Demonstrators planted coconut trees and waved signs in rallies across the Hawaiian Islands as part of an international day of protests against agriculture business Monsanto.
- Jeni's scoop shops reopen after listeria-related shutdown Updated: May-23-15 6:26 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio-based Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams has reopened nearly all its scoop shops after a monthlong shutdown triggered by the discovery of listeria in some pints.
- Millions of birds dead due to flu to be disposed of soon Updated: May-23-15 5:13 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Millions of Iowa birds killed or destroyed in the wake of a bird flu outbreak should be disposed of or incinerated within the next week, according to U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack.
- Meat packer fined for mishandling slaughterhouse wastewater Updated: May-23-15 4:54 pm
EUGENE, Oregon - A Lane County meat packer is again facing fines for alleged deficiencies in handling wastewater from its slaughterhouse.
- Distillery owner, injured worker sue company that made still Updated: May-23-15 4:17 pm
HARDIN, Kentucky - A distillery owner and one of his employees are suing a still-maker after an explosion last month that killed another worker.
- New gas stations planned ahead of Indianapolis change Updated: May-23-15 3:05 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Developers filed applications for 21 new gas stations around Indianapolis in the weeks before city officials approved a zoning change that further limits where they can be built.
- AAA Mid-Atlantic: New Jersey gas prices drop from a year ago Updated: May-23-15 2:35 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Motorists hitting the road this Memorial Day weekend are seeing lower prices than a year ago.
- Nevada Assembly OKs bill to regulate Uber, similar firms Updated: May-23-15 2:32 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - A hard-fought bill to regulate ride-hailing companies such as Uber and Lyft got the green light from Nevada lawmakers in the wee hours of Saturday morning, after weeks of behind-the-scenes negotiations, several public failures for Uber and a marathon workday that ended with legislators apparently confused over which bills they were voting on.
- Fido al fresco? NY weighs allowing outdoor dining with dogs Updated: May-23-15 1:55 pm
NEW YORK - Never mind the doggie bag: Spot wants a seat at the outdoor table, or rather under it.
- DC metro gas prices up 4 cents from last week Updated: May-23-15 12:47 pm
WASHINGTON - Gas prices in the D.C. metro area are up 4 cents from a week ago.
- Poncho & Lefty's food truck drives a fresh bargain Updated: May-23-15 10:35 am
BECKLEY, West Virginia - Hardy, hardworking Mountaineers value freedom so much that lawmakers have appropriated state residents' liberation, in Latin, as the state motto.
- Drenching rains green pastures, bode well for herd expansion Updated: May-23-15 10:32 am
WICHITA, Kansas - Drenching rains that recently soaked the Great Plains have brought welcomed moisture to areas still recovering from droughts, greening pastures as ranchers begin the annual rite of moving cattle to the nation's summer grazing lands.
- Automakers to reveal models covered by wider air bag recall Updated: May-23-15 9:04 am
DETROIT - Eleven automakers are expected next week to reveal which models are being added to a massive recall of air bags made by Takata Corp.
- Cleveland brewery opens 'Beer Symposium' visitor center Updated: May-23-15 6:27 am
CLEVELAND - A Cleveland brewery has opened a new visitor center to commemorate its nearly 30-year history.
- Pasco's nudist resorts draw global tourism dollars Updated: May-23-15 1:06 am
LAND O' LAKES, Florida - It was a relatively slow Tuesday morning at the opulent, clothing-optional Caliente Resort and Spa off U.S. 41.
- Husband, wife plead not guilty in Kentucky bourbon thefts Updated: May-22-15 6:37 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - When authorities found five bourbon barrels on the property of a distillery worker accused of leading a long-running whiskey theft ring in Kentucky, his wife and co-defendant was unaware the containers were on their property, her attorney said Friday.
- Target settlement with MasterCard fails to get bank support Updated: May-22-15 5:43 pm
NEW YORK - A $19 million deal between Target and MasterCard to settle lawsuits stemming from the retailer's massive pre-Christmas 2013 data breach has been scrapped, because it failed to get enough support from the affected banks and credit unions.