- In Disney's shadow, homeless families struggle Updated: Apr-24-14 4:32 am
- Unilever first quarter sales hit by strong euro Updated: Apr-24-14 4:19 am
- Large Scania shareholder accepts Volkswagen bid Updated: Apr-24-14 4:08 am
- 2-week truce for hot sauce maker, California city Updated: Apr-24-14 3:13 am
- Vermont moves toward labeling of GMO foods Updated: Apr-24-14 1:10 am
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes Updated: Apr-24-14 12:37 am
- Deadline focuses field of NY casino contenders Updated: Apr-23-14 8:32 pm
- Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock Updated: Apr-23-14 8:13 pm
- Auto parts maker to pay fine in price-fixing case Updated: Apr-23-14 7:47 pm
- Chobani secures $750M investment from TPG Updated: Apr-23-14 7:20 pm
- Miss. could give $20M in aid to Cooper Tire Updated: Apr-23-14 5:22 pm
- Safeway reports 1st-quarter loss Updated: Apr-23-14 5:13 pm
- IGT 2Q profit falls 67 percent as slot sales slow Updated: Apr-23-14 4:04 pm
- New social networks connect cooks and diners Updated: Apr-23-14 3:23 pm
- Telsa Motors expanding in California Updated: Apr-23-14 3:10 pm
- Correction: Earns-Discover Financial story Updated: Apr-23-14 2:22 pm
- European retailer Primark to open first US stores Updated: Apr-23-14 2:04 pm
- Cracker Barrel says holders nix Biglari proposals Updated: Apr-23-14 1:31 pm
- Buick ads are no joke: Regal gets double takes Updated: Apr-23-14 12:01 pm
- Court-ordered tobacco ads will include black media Updated: Apr-23-14 11:29 am
- Performing dogs go big after $1 million TV prize Updated: Apr-23-14 11:19 am
- Horse track warns 2014 racing season could be last Updated: Apr-23-14 11:16 am
- Procter & Gamble 3Q net income up on cost cuts Updated: Apr-23-14 11:08 am
- Excerpts from recent North Dakota editorials Updated: Apr-23-14 10:08 am
- Voters in 1 Union Parish ward face liquor issues Updated: Apr-23-14 8:31 am
KISSIMMEE, Florida - When they moved from Georgia to the theme park playground of central Florida four years ago, Anthony and Candice Johnson found work at a barbecue restaurant and a 7-Eleven. Their combined salaries nevertheless fell short of what they needed to rent an apartment, so the couple and their two children have instead been hopping among cheap motel rooms along U.S. 192.
AMSTERDAM - Unilever PLC, the maker of consumer products such as Dove soaps and Ben & Jerry's ice cream, said Thursday that the stronger euro dented its revenues in the first quarter of the year.
STOCKHOLM - Volkswagen has come closer to realizing its ambition to takeover Scania after the fourth largest shareholder in the Swedish truck maker announced it will accept the 6.7 billion-euro ($9.2 billion) bid.
LOS ANGELES - A cooling-off period has been called in the fight between the makers of a popular hot sauce and the Southern California city that says its air is too spicy to bear.
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermont lawmakers have passed the country's first state bill to require the labeling of genetically modified foods as such, setting up a war between powerful lobbyists for the behemoth U.S. food industry and an American public that overwhelmingly says it approves of the idea.
WASHINGTON - The federal government wants to ban sales of electronic cigarettes to minors and require approval for new products and health warning labels under regulations being proposed by the Food and Drug Administration.
ALBANY, New York - The field of contenders vying to build casinos in upstate New York came into focus Wednesday, the deadline for interested parties to submit a $1 million application fee.
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple is doling out more of its cash to shareholders and preparing to split its stock for the first time in nine years in an attempt to win back investors fretting about the iPhone maker's slowing sales growth and pace of innovation.
CINCINNATI - The U.S. Justice Department says an auto parts manufacturer accused in a price-fixing conspiracy has agreed to plead guilty and pay a fine of $19.9 million.
NEW BERLIN, New York - Greek yogurt maker Chobani has secured a $750 million investment from investment firm TPG Capital to help fund its growth.
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi could borrow $20 million to help Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. update its factory in Tupelo, Mississippi
PLEASANTON, California - Safeway on Wednesday posted a net loss for the first quarter because of higher costs and acquisition expenses.
LAS VEGAS - Gambling equipment manufacturer International Game Technology said its net income fell 67 percent as sales of slot machines declined and the company faced competition from smaller vendors.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - If the latest development in culinary social media catches on, the trendiest restaurants may no longer be restaurants.
LATHROP, California - Electric car maker Tesla Motors is expanding its footprint in California.
LOS ANGELES - In a story April 22 about Discover Financial earnings, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the company plans to launch a direct checking service next year. The service is planned for this year. The error was left in the story due to a technical glitch.
Primark - a popular European clothing and accessories retailer - is coming to the US.
LEBANON, Tennessee - Cracker Barrel says that preliminary results show its shareholders have overwhelmingly rejected two proposals put forth by an activist stockholder.
The television ads where neighbors, friends and family can't identify a new car as a Buick are true to life.
WASHINGTON - The nation's tobacco companies and the Justice Department are including media outlets that target more of the black community in court-ordered advertisements that say the cigarette makers lied about the dangers of smoking, according to a brief filed in U.S. District Court in Washington on Wednesday.
LOS ANGELES - A million dollars will change you.
BOSTON - Suffolk Downs, New England's only thoroughbred facility, warned on Wednesday that the 2014 racing season would likely be the last one at the 79-year-old track unless Mohegan Sun is awarded the sole eastern Massachusetts resort casino license.
NEW YORK - Procter & Gamble's fiscal third-quarter net income rose 2 percent as it cut costs to offset sluggish sales in categories like beauty and family products.
Minot Daily News, Minot, April 19, 2014
FARMERVILLE, Louisiana - Union Parish voters in Ward 3 will go to the polls on May 3 to vote on a number of liquor law reforms that could permit alcohol in the last remaining dry ward in the parish.