- Oregon seeks proposals to open up to 17 new liquor stores Updated: Aug-27-15 9:13 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - The Oregon Liquor Control Commission voted Wednesday to accept proposals for up to 17 new liquor stores in the Portland metro area.
- Ruling could ease way for unionizing at fast-food chains Updated: Aug-27-15 6:40 pm
NEW YORK - It could be easier for unions to bargain for better pay and working conditions on behalf of millions of workers at McDonald's, Burger King and other fast-food chains after a National Labor Relations Board ruling on Thursday.
- Gov. Ige says early immigration screening is Hawaii priority Updated: Aug-27-15 6:26 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii Gov. David Ige said Thursday it's a top priority for Hawaii that the U.S. be able to process Japanese travelers for immigration and customs before they even get on a plane for the islands.
- Gap to end on-call scheduling Updated: Aug-27-15 6:21 pm
ALBANY, New York - Gap Inc. is ending its practice of requiring workers to remain on-call for short-notice shifts following an inquiry from New York's attorney general.
- Judge blocks union from beaming messages onto Icahn casinos Updated: Aug-27-15 5:59 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - A New Jersey judge on Thursday banned an Atlantic City union from using a light projector to beam critical messages onto the exterior walls of casinos owned or about to be owned by billionaire Carl Icahn.
- Carhartt bringing work coats and more to Detroit store Updated: Aug-27-15 5:51 pm
DETROIT - Carhartt, the company known for sturdy work coats and other clothing, has opened its flagship store in Detroit's Midtown area.
- Iowa's newest hops farm harvesting first crop Updated: Aug-27-15 5:39 pm
SOLON, Iowa - Iowa's newest and largest hops farm is harvesting its first commercial crop that's already supplying local craft brewers around the region.
- New Missouri court fines, sex ed laws set to take effect Updated: Aug-27-15 5:15 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Numerous new Missouri laws are set to take effect Friday, ranging from legislation addressing concerns about court fines raised after the fatal police shooting of a black 18-year-old in Ferguson to child-proof packaging for liquid nicotine used in electronic cigarettes.
- Dole Food CEO, former top exec ordered to pay $148M Updated: Aug-27-15 4:40 pm
DOVER, Delaware - A Delaware judge on Thursday ordered 92-year-old Dole Food CEO David Murdock and a former top lieutenant to pay $148 million in damages for misleading directors and shareholders in a deal that took the company private in 2013.
- Apple schedules new product event for Sept. 9 Updated: Aug-27-15 3:39 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple has announced plans for a new product event on Sept. 9 in San Francisco, where the giant tech company is expected to show off new iPhones and other gadgets.
- New estimate: Apple shipped 3.6 million watches last quarter Updated: Aug-27-15 3:36 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A new report estimates Apple shipped 3.6 million watches in the last quarter - more than some analysts have estimated and enough to change the competitive landscape for fitness bands and other wearable gadgets.
- CD shop owner accused in $2M scheme with shoplifting addicts Updated: Aug-27-15 3:06 pm
PITTSBURGH - A record store owner is charged with using heroin addicts to shoplift more than $2 million worth of books, videos, and other products that he then resold online.
- Audit: Oregon Lottery can't detect illegal casinos Updated: Aug-27-15 3:05 pm
SALEM, Oregon - A state audit says the Oregon Lottery is unable to detect businesses that may be using video poker machines to operate as illegal casinos.
- Supreme Court upholds deal on tribal gas stations Updated: Aug-27-15 2:25 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - The state Supreme Court on Thursday unanimously upheld a lower court ruling in a long-running lawsuit by non-tribal gas station owners challenging gas tax compacts negotiated in the past decade between the state and Indian tribes.
- Retail gasoline prices in Texas fall 7 cents this week Updated: Aug-27-15 12:48 pm
COPPELL, Texas - Retail gasoline prices across Texas have fallen 7 cents this week to settle at $2.29 per gallon.
- FDA issues warning letters to "natural" tobacco makers Updated: Aug-27-15 12:47 pm
NEW YORK - The Food and Drug Administration issued warning letters to the makers of Winston, Natural Spirit and Nat Sherman cigarettes over their "additive-free" and "natural" label claims.
- Burlington shares jump as it raises full-year outlook Updated: Aug-27-15 12:40 pm
BURLINGTON, New Jersey - Higher sales at Burlington helped the discount retailer post strong fiscal second-quarter results Thursday. It also boosted its full-year earnings expectations, and shares jumped nearly 15 percent in afternoon trading.
- Michaels tops 2Q profit forecasts, bumps 2015 expectation Updated: Aug-27-15 12:35 pm
IRVING, Texas - Shares of Michaels Cos. Jumped Thursday after the arts and crafts store operator topped analyst expectations in its fiscal second quarter and bumped up its forecast for the year.
- McDonald's, Tyson cut ties with farmer tied to abuse video Updated: Aug-27-15 12:25 pm
NEW YORK - McDonald's and its supplier Tyson Foods say they've cut ties with a chicken farmer after an advocacy group released a video taken with a hidden camera that the group said showed abusive practices at its farm.
- Internet sales of Minnesota lottery tickets coming to halt Updated: Aug-27-15 12:02 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota's lottery is primed to pull the plug on ticket sales over the Internet.
- Anderson officials approve deal for auto parts factory Updated: Aug-27-15 12:01 pm
ANDERSON, Indiana - City officials in Anderson have approved a deal under which an auto parts supplier will build a factory that could employ 400 workers in the next few years.
- Fire breaks out at Hagerstown Volvo plant Updated: Aug-27-15 11:20 am
HAGERSTOWN, Maryland - Officials say a fire broke out in a decommissioned cooling tower at the Volvo Group Trucks plant in western Maryland, but was quickly contained.
- Dollar General beats 2Q profit forecasts Updated: Aug-27-15 9:47 am
GOODLETTSVILLE, Tennessee - Dollar General Corp. on Thursday reported a boost in second-quarter profit, topping Wall Street expectations on higher sales.
- Bikers to take brewery tour around Louisville Updated: Aug-27-15 4:07 am
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Bikers in Louisville are going on a tour of local beer breweries.
- Review: New phones, tablets keep Samsung at Android helm Updated: Aug-27-15 3:19 am
NEW YORK - Samsung's new smartphones and tablets might not offer enough to entice current iPhone and iPad users to switch, but they keep Samsung at the head of the class among Android gadget makers.