- Struggle over Saint Edward: Renovate it, or tear it down? Updated: Feb-07-16 3:05 am
SEATTLE - When developer Kevin Daniels announced plans in August to renovate the badly deteriorated 1931 seminary building at Saint Edward State Park in Kenmore and turn it into a hotel and spa, he said he knew it would involve a lengthy public process and outspoken neighbors who love their park the way it is.
- Southern Oregon wines' gaining clout, could bring tourists Updated: Feb-07-16 2:05 am
MEDFORD, Oregon - The winsome wines of southern Oregon are gathering acclaim far beyond the Cascades and Siskiyous.
- Gary casino studies sites for land-based gambling facility Updated: Feb-06-16 5:16 pm
GARY, Indiana - The owners of northwestern Indiana's Majestic Star Casino are moving ahead with plans to replace its aging casino riverboats with a land-based gambling facility now permitted under state law.
- Feds: Drug dealer used cake shop to launder money Updated: Feb-06-16 4:11 pm
VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia - A couple who co-owns a Virginia Beach bakery is facing federal money laundering and drug charges.
- Tyson Foods executive predicts record profits for 2016 Updated: Feb-06-16 3:56 pm
SPRINGDALE, Arkansas - Executives at Tyson Foods, Inc. are predicting record profits for the year, helped along by a steep drop in feed and livestock costs.
- Choctaw Nation plans for new headquarters in Durant in 2018 Updated: Feb-06-16 2:05 pm
DURANT, Oklahoma - Choctaw Nation Chief Gary Batton said he focuses on tribal culture. But it's hard for him to demonstrate that when the tribe's cultural services office is housed in a double-wide trailer.
- Up in smoke: Lawrenceburg cigar-maker returns to his roots Updated: Feb-06-16 1:59 pm
LAWRENCEBURG, Kentucky - Allen Mobley remembers his grandmother killing two chickens as payment to their pastor for helping with the family's tobacco harvest.
- Decision on contentious Snowbird expansion again delayed Updated: Feb-06-16 1:24 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah County board is again waiting to make a decision on a Snowbird ski resort expansion into American Fork Canyon following a contentious meeting about whether the project could stir up old mine waste.
- Drinking long intertwined in Dubuque's culture Updated: Feb-06-16 10:49 am
DUBUQUE, Iowa - Wherever Sue Greene looks, she sees alcohol ingrained into the fabric of Dubuque's culture and history.
- Cruise liner based in SC for almost 6 years sailing off Updated: Feb-06-16 8:50 am
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - The Carnival Cruise Lines vessel Fantasy, which has been based in South Carolina for almost six years, is sailing off this weekend and being replaced by another vessel.
- Bend brewing boom includes nanobrewers Updated: Feb-06-16 2:05 am
BEND, Oregon - From the outside, the two-story building behind the Anderson home on NW Third Street resembles any other detached garage on a residential street in Bend.
- Mississippi incentives for $1.45B tire plant could top $600M Updated: Feb-05-16 8:57 pm
CLINTON, Mississippi - An Associated Press analysis finds that the package of state aid and tax abatements to attract a $1.45 billion, 2,500-job Continental AG tire plant to Hinds County is worth approximately $600 million, and probably more.
- As fix nears for gas leak, residents worry about return home Updated: Feb-05-16 7:45 pm
LOS ANGELES - With a possible end in sight to a massive 15-week gas leak, anxious residents displaced from a Los Angeles neighborhood are skeptical a fix is near and worry they may be forced to return too soon to unhealthy homes.
- Borgata to stop paying taxes until Atlantic City pays $62.5M Updated: Feb-05-16 7:10 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - Atlantic City's Borgata casino says it will stop making tax payments until the city hands over $62.5 million in court-ordered tax refunds.
- New Jersey sues Volkswagen, claiming emissions fraud Updated: Feb-05-16 6:25 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The state of New Jersey sued Volkswagen Friday, claiming the auto maker sold diesel vehicles equipped with software that deactivated on-board emission controls except during emissions testing.
- Businessman seeks leniency in halal beef export fraud case Updated: Feb-05-16 5:36 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - Supporters of a prominent businessman and Muslim community leader packed a federal courtroom Friday to ask a judge to spare him prison time for committing fraud in exporting halal beef products to Malaysia and Indonesia.
- Let the games begin: Legislature releases gambling proposals Updated: Feb-05-16 5:21 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The Florida Legislature is going to consider a gambling proposal that would let the Seminole Tribe add craps and roulette to its casinos.
- Tyson Foods, LinkedIn are big market movers Updated: Feb-05-16 4:38 pm
NEW YORK - Stocks that moved substantially Friday on the New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq stock market:
- Lawsuit challenges tribal reservation decision Updated: Feb-05-16 4:36 pm
TAUNTON, Massachusetts - A group of Massachusetts residents is challenging the federal government's decision to grant the Mashpee Wampanoag tribe reservation lands to build a casino.
- New Mexico succeeds in legal fight to bar horse slaughter Updated: Feb-05-16 3:49 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A court decision will prevent a horse slaughter operation from opening in New Mexico after the state's lengthy legal battle.
- Bridgestone-Firestone recalls over 36,000 truck tires Updated: Feb-05-16 2:58 pm
DETROIT - Bridgestone-Firestone North America is recalling more than 36,000 heavy truck tires in the U.S. and Canada because the tread can separate from the body and cause the tires to fail.
- Apple now accepting your banged-up iPhone Updated: Feb-05-16 2:29 pm
NEW YORK - Apple for the first time is accepting banged up iPhones as a trade-in from those wanting to upgrade.
- Coeur d'Alene RV park purchased by neighboring golf course Updated: Feb-05-16 2:24 pm
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - A troubled RV park and motel in Coeur d'Alene that sits next to a golf course has been purchased by the course's parent company.
- DraftKings makes long delayed push into UK Updated: Feb-05-16 2:10 pm
BOSTON - As its industry continues to tangle with U.S. policymakers, daily fantasy sports giant DraftKings is making its long-anticipated international push with a launch Friday in the United Kingdom.
- Flint food establishments urged to get water inspections Updated: Feb-05-16 1:59 pm
FLINT, Michigan - Food establishments in Flint are being encouraged to take advantage of free water safety inspections offered amid the city's crisis with lead-tainted water.