- UC Berkeley says astronomer was appropriately disciplined Updated: Oct-12-15 9:25 pm
BERKELEY, California - The University of California at Berkeley defended its handling of sexual harassment complaints against a prominent astronomer on Monday amid accusations on campus and beyond that the professor was inadequately disciplined for inappropriate behavior with students.
- Statistics: Teen birthrates continue to decline in county Updated: Oct-12-15 11:50 am
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Statistics show teen pregnancy rates are steadily declining in Shelby County.
- Rust College settles with accusers Updated: Oct-10-15 2:12 pm
TUPELO, Mississippi - Rust College has paid an undisclosed sum to settle a sexual misconduct case brought by three former students at the Holly Springs campus.
- Complaint slams Pomona College's sex abuse claim response Updated: Oct-10-15 12:46 pm
POMONA, California - A complaint by 11 current and former students accuses Pomona College of failing to adequately respond to claims of campus sexual violence.
- Ohio programs awarded grants for crime victim services Updated: Oct-10-15 10:34 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's attorney general says more than 300 providers in Ohio are sharing $51 million in grant money for delivering services to crime victims.
- Marcel Aubut apologizes for behavior, quits law firm Updated: Oct-09-15 4:10 pm
MONTREAL - Former Canadian Olympic Committee President Marcel Aubut has apologized for his behavior amid allegations he sexually harassed several women.
- $8.7M to support victims of crime, domestic, sexual violence Updated: Oct-09-15 2:56 pm
BURLINGTON, Vermont - Vermont will be getting more than $8.7 million from the U.S. Department of Justice to support victims of crime and programs that serve survivors of domestic and sexual violence.
- Sexual assaults in study-abroad programs draw new attention Updated: Oct-08-15 3:34 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - As colleges wrestle with how to address sexual assault, a legal challenge involving a small Vermont institution brings an obscure part of the equation to the fore: how to report, investigate and punish sexual assaults that happen in overseas-study programs.
- Colorado potato packing plant settles sex harassment suit Updated: Oct-07-15 4:03 pm
DENVER - The operators of a Colorado potato packing plant have agreed to pay nearly a half million dollars to settle accusations that it tolerated the sexual harassment of more than a dozen of its female workers for over a decade.
- Kansas panel recommends second suspension for judge Updated: Oct-06-15 2:51 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - A state disciplinary panel has recommended a second suspension for a Kansas district court judge who was suspended earlier this year over allegations of sexual harassment and other misconduct.
- Detective: Man used dead dad's badge to coerce prostitute Updated: Oct-06-15 6:52 am
PORTLAND, Maine - Police say a Maine man accused of impersonating a police officer and demanding woman perform sex acts on him used his dead father's badge, who was once a police chief.
- Ex-lawmakers sued by former aides alleging retaliation Updated: Oct-03-15 1:12 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Two conservative former Michigan lawmakers who had an extramarital affair and attempted to conceal it have been sued by former aides.
- Pennsylvania's top prosecutor says justice violated ethics Updated: Oct-02-15 10:35 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A day after being charged with a second perjury count, Pennsylvania's attorney general said Friday she had reported a state Supreme Court justice for possible ethics violations, citing pornographic, racially offensive or otherwise inappropriate emails he received that were recovered from her office's computer servers.
- Softball players sue NY college, ex-coach for sex harassment Updated: Oct-02-15 8:28 pm
NEW YORK - Three members of the Nyack College women's softball team sued the Christian school Friday, saying it failed to protect them from a former coach who sexually harassed them and invited them to get life coaching from a pornographic actress.
- Campus safety report places emphasis on sexual violence Updated: Oct-02-15 11:17 am
FAYETTEVILLE, Arkansas - Newly implemented requirements governing how colleges and universities respond to sexual violence have contributed to the thickening of yearly mandated campus safety reports.
- California high schools to learn 'yes means yes' sex policy Updated: Oct-01-15 8:35 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Gov. Jerry Brown has approved legislation aimed at making California the first state in the nation to bring lessons about sexual consent required at many colleges into high schools, his office announced Thursday.
- UConn releases newly required report on sexual assaults Updated: Oct-01-15 5:38 pm
STORRS, Connecticut - The University of Connecticut reported Thursday that it dealt with 85 sexual assault complaints last year and seven students were expelled as a result.
- Indiana House majority leader resigns after apologetic text Updated: Sep-30-15 7:03 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A ranking lawmaker who abruptly resigned from the Indiana House says he made "mistakes" that he needs to remedy with his family, a week after apologizing to friends and acquaintances for "anything offensive" they may have received from his cellphone.
- Apartment complex sexual harassment lawsuit settled Updated: Sep-30-15 3:08 pm
CROSS LANES, West Virginia - A lawsuit alleging female tenants at an apartment complex were sexually harassed has been settled.
- Revenge porn, prostitution addressed in 27 new Florida laws Updated: Sep-30-15 12:35 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida will have 27 new laws ranging from tougher penalties for people who solicit prostitutes to making revenge pornography a crime.
- Obama thanks Secret Service for protecting world leaders Updated: Sep-29-15 3:39 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama praised the Secret Service for a whirlwind week that included protecting Pope Francis, Chinese President Xi Jinping and more than 100 world leaders at U.N. meetings in New York.
- Lawsuit: Handymen traded sex for repairs in public housing Updated: Sep-28-15 6:23 pm
BALTIMORE - A handyman and supervisor for the Baltimore City Housing Authority routinely and systematically withheld necessary repairs from women who refused to have sex with them, creating a hostile environment and culture of fear in public housing complexes in the city, according to a lawsuit filed in federal court.
- Ethics panel continues review of Texas lawmaker Updated: Sep-28-15 4:39 pm
WASHINGTON - The House Ethics Committee said Monday it is continuing an investigation of Republican congressman Blake Farenthold of Texas, despite a recommendation by an investigative panel that the complaint be dismissed.
- Raid of Rentboy.com by Homeland Security stirs anger Updated: Sep-27-15 12:11 pm
NEW YORK - Starting with the name, there was never anything discreet about the website Rentboy.com.
- Dartmouth to launch community survey on school climate Updated: Sep-26-15 3:22 pm
HANOVER, New Hampshire - Dartmouth students, faculty and staff are urged to take part in a community survey as part of President Phil Hanlon's "Moving Dartmouth Forward" initiative.