- TBI arrests more than dozen in human trafficking operation Updated: May-22-15 5:39 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation says it placed fake ads for prostitutes and arrested about a dozen people this week as part of an operation to better understand human trafficking in the state.
- Fired Rutherford employees seek back pay, threaten lawsuit Updated: May-21-15 3:02 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Three ex-state employees who claim former Treasurer Dan Rutherford fired them 10 months ago in retaliation for providing damaging evidence in a sexual harassment investigation are threatening legal action unless the state gives them back pay and scrubs personnel records of the misconduct charges used to show them the door, according to documents obtained by The Associated Press.
- LGBT center teaches students sex ed Updated: May-21-15 10:02 am
LAS VEGAS - The Gay and Lesbian Community Center is offering free sex education classes to high school students as an alternative to the Clark County School District's abstinence-based sex ed.
- China suspends TV drama over plot of crotch grenade Updated: May-21-15 5:01 am
BEIJING - A Chinese television drama got pulled off the air following a public outcry over a plot in which a hidden grenade is pulled from a woman's crotch during an amorous scene.
- Clarification: School Book Protest story Updated: May-20-15 11:34 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - In a story May 14, The Associated Press reported that a New Hampshire bill requiring teachers to give parents two weeks' notice when using sexually explicit material in class came in response to a father's angry reaction to a passage in a book. The story should have made clear that the father's reaction was one of several incidents that spurred the legislation.
- Community colleges to discuss sexual violence Updated: May-20-15 3:49 am
CHESTER, Virginia - Community college leaders are gathering for a summit on sexual violence.
- Honolulu's top prosecutor urges veto of sex trafficking ban Updated: May-20-15 12:07 am
HONOLULU - Honolulu's top prosecutor is urging Gov. David Ige to veto a bill that would ban sex trafficking in Hawaii.
- Georgia Board of Regents OKs plan to prevent sexual violence Updated: May-19-15 3:02 pm
ATLANTA - The Georgia university system's governing board on Tuesday adopted a statewide plan to prevent sexual violence, requiring student and staff training and setting minimum standards for reporting and responding to such crimes at every campus.
- Report says schools can do more to prevent teen pregnancy Updated: May-16-15 5:19 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - New Mexico has no clear strategy on how to keep decreasing what is currently the second-highest rate of teens giving birth nationwide, according to a legislative report out this week.
- City suspends police director over harassment allegations Updated: May-15-15 6:02 am
ORANGE, New Jersey - A northern New Jersey police director has been suspended with pay as officials investigate claims that he sexually harassed a female lieutenant.
- Ex-SC House member under investigation for sexual harassment Updated: May-14-15 6:14 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Former state Rep. Nelson Hardwick resigned after an investigation into a sexual harassment complaint from a House staffer, according to letters released Thursday by the House.
- MSU-Northern dean awarded $75,000 in retaliation case Updated: May-14-15 6:07 pm
HAVRE, Montana - A state hearings officer has awarded $75,000 in damages for emotional distress to a dean at Montana State University-Northern who said he was retaliated against after he told the former provost to stop touching him and filed a sexual harassment complaint.
- Aid group: Attackers raped more than 120 women in east Congo Updated: May-14-15 4:08 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Members of an armed militia raped women en masse in Congo earlier this month after attacking and looting an eastern town, the Doctors Without Borders charity group said Thursday.
- Police: Indiana University employee had child pornography Updated: May-14-15 8:04 am
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - Police say an Indiana University employee downloaded child pornography onto a school-issued laptop.
- California tells colleges to quickly respond to sex assaults Updated: May-13-15 8:02 pm
LOS ANGELES - California law enforcement and education leaders on Wednesday directed colleges to quickly notify authorities when a sexual assault is reported on campus, following criticism that incidents were being hidden by universities and not investigated thoroughly.
- Male student's sexual advances violated harassment law Updated: May-13-15 5:13 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey's education commissioner has overturned a school board's decision that a boy's repeated attempts to get a girl to engage in sexual activity didn't violate the state's harassment, intimidation and bullying law.
- Colorado youth survey on sex, drugs up for vote Updated: May-13-15 3:06 am
DENVER - A youth survey about sex, drugs and other risky behaviors is finally due for a vote by the Colorado Board of Education. Board members are considering whether parents should have to give permission before students take the anonymous surveys.
- Attorney general: NFL failing to focus on domestic violence Updated: May-12-15 8:37 pm
BOSTON - Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey is criticizing the NFL, saying it has failed to spend nearly as much time investigating reports of domestic violence and sexual assault as it spent investigating whether the New England Patriots and quarterback Tom Brady deflated footballs.
- Toronto man fired after he tries to justify vulgar TV remark Updated: May-12-15 6:52 pm
TORONTO - A Toronto engineer lost his job Tuesday after a social media firestorm was created by a female TV reporter who fought back against offensive and vulgar comments that disrupted her live interview.
- Missouri House OKs sex trafficking prevention measure Updated: May-12-15 6:58 am
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Websites and people that knowingly advertise sex with minors would face penalties under Missouri's sex trafficking law under a measure that needs a final vote in the Senate before heading to the governor.
- Column: After sullied week in sports, let's all shower off Updated: May-08-15 6:02 pm
After a sullied week in sports, we sure could use a shower.
- Governor signs bill aiming to help domestic violence victims Updated: May-08-15 4:15 pm
HELENA, Montana - The governor signed legislation Friday to expand unemployment insurance benefits to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking.
- Austrian anti-Nazi website hacked with child pornography Updated: May-08-15 8:47 am
VIENNA - Hackers have placed photos of child pornography on a website run by an Austrian anti-Holocaust organization as the country commemorates the end of World War II.
- WNBA reviewing Isiah Thomas hire, domestic violence case Updated: May-07-15 8:35 pm
LAS VEGAS - The WNBA has been thrown into the national conversation about domestic violence and sports, and now is facing a decision involving sexual harassment.
- FDA schedules meeting on twice-rejected female libido drug Updated: May-07-15 3:49 pm
WASHINGTON - The Food and Drug Administration will ask a group of outside medical experts next month to evaluate a much-debated experimental drug designed to boost sexual desire in women.