- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain Updated: Mar-10-14 8:02 pm
- Scientology founder built trails on Mount Rainier Updated: Mar-10-14 12:36 pm
- Another couple files landslide lawsuit Updated: Mar-09-14 4:07 pm
- Volunteers work on W.Va. trail's last segment Updated: Mar-09-14 3:17 pm
- Elko County will hear pro-Yucca Mountain backers Updated: Mar-09-14 2:55 pm
- Wounded Boise veteran eyes Mount Everest Updated: Mar-09-14 1:47 pm
- National parks looking for conservation recruits Updated: Mar-08-14 3:25 pm
- NH national forest seeks artist applications Updated: Mar-08-14 10:08 am
- 1st blind hiker to trek Appalachian Trail dies Updated: Mar-08-14 9:56 am
- Snowpack still far below normal in Southern Oregon Updated: Mar-07-14 4:40 pm
- Lawmakers send Grand Teton land swap to governor Updated: Mar-07-14 11:53 am
- Walsh says he'll push Rocky Mountain Front bill Updated: Mar-05-14 7:30 pm
- Delightful winter hikes in Whatcom County Updated: Mar-05-14 4:05 pm
- Vt. town supports wind project - again Updated: Mar-04-14 6:29 pm
- Nepal says litterbugs no longer welcome on Everest Updated: Mar-04-14 7:00 am
- Report: 9.6 million people visited Smoky Mountains Updated: Mar-04-14 4:11 am
- Amish workers returning to Catoctin Mountain Park Updated: Mar-03-14 4:49 am
- Age-old indicators under stress in high Bolivia Updated: Mar-03-14 3:43 am
- Ski or snowshoe to cozy hut near Mount Rainier Updated: Mar-01-14 3:04 am
- Fort Worth firefighters prepare to scale Denali Updated: Feb-27-14 11:11 pm
- Rockies LHP Aquino hit in head by liner, walks off Updated: Feb-27-14 5:51 pm
- Data grant move spurs industry momentum in Wyoming Updated: Feb-27-14 4:10 pm
- Tucson, Ariz.: 5 free things to see and do Updated: Feb-27-14 2:07 pm
- Investigators seek cause for NC mountain wildfire Updated: Feb-26-14 7:01 am
- Controlled burns at Oak Mountain, Wind Creek Updated: Feb-26-14 5:38 am
NEBO, North Carolina - Rescuers used a Black Hawk helicopter to get to a climber who fell from Shortoff Mountain in Burke County.
TACOMA, Washington - Four years of research and the discovery of a wooden sign have uncovered a historical link between Tacoma, the first trails at Mount Rainier and L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of the Church of Scientology.
BOZEMAN, Montana - Another couple contending their property is on an active landslide has filed a lawsuit against the owners of a private ski resort and golf community in southwestern Montana.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Volunteers are working to complete the last 30 miles of West Virginia's 330-mile Allegheny Trail, a hiking pathway that runs from the West Virginia-Pennsylvania border near Bruceton Mills to a junction with the Appalachian Trail in Monroe County.
ELKO, Nevada - Elko County has joined a half dozen other rural Nevada counties that are not ready to close the door on jump-starting proposals to store nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain 90 miles north of Las Vegas.
BOISE, Idaho - It almost sounds like a set up to a joke: What do you call a guy with one foot, missing fingers and a bad back who's climbing Everest?
CASPER, Wyoming - Grand Teton and Yellowstone national parks are looking for a few good teens to take part in this year's Youth Conservation Program.
CAMPTON, New Hampshire - Officials at New Hampshire's White Mountain National Forest are seeking applicants for the fourth annual Artist-in-Residence program.
SEBEC, Maine - Bill Irwin, the first blind hiker to complete the Appalachian Trail without assistance, has died in Maine at the age of 73.
GRANTS PASS, Oregon - One pineapple express after another bringing warm rain across Oregon has helped boost reservoirs west of the Cascades and snowpacks in the northern mountains.
JACKSON, Wyoming - Whether to allow Grand Teton National Park to acquire land owned by the state school trust is now up to Gov. Matt Mead.
BILLINGS, Montana - U.S. Sen. John Walsh says he's taking the lead role to advance a bill that would expand wilderness protections along the Rocky Mountain Front.
BELLINGHAM, Washington - Heading up from the Fragrance Lake trailhead, I soon cross the Interurban Trail, the route of an old trolley line from Bellingham, then plunge into a thick, twilit forest of 100-year-old firs, cedars and hemlocks among a carpet of swordferns that rival the size of an Arthurian broadsword.
LOWELL, Vermont - Lowell voters affirmed their support Tuesday for Green Mountain Power's Kingdom Community Wind project that is making electricity for the region on a ridgeline above the community.
KATMANDU, Nepal - Litterbugs, beware: Nepal is making new rules to persuade trekkers to clean up after themselves on Mount Everest, in the hopes of clearing the tons of rubbish now clogging the world's highest peak.
GATLINBURG, Tennessee - A report from the National Park Service says more than 9.6 million visitors to Great Smoky Mountains National Park spent $741 million in communities near the park in 2012.
THURMONT, Maryland - The National Park Service says Amish volunteers from Indiana are returning to Catoctin Mountain Park near Thurmont to help restore some cabins dating to the 1930s.
CUTUSUMA, Bolivia - For centuries, farmers in the fragile ecosystems of the high Andes have looked to the behavior of plants and animals to figure out what crops to grow and when.
EVERETT, Washington - You know what makes any adventure in the snow even better? A warm, cozy place to settle in at the end of the day. Bonus points if you don't even have to leave the snow behind to find your haven.
FORT WORTH, Texas - They attract curious glances as they trudge through downtown, giant backpacks strapped to their backs and dragging weights on makeshift sleds behind them.
SCOTTSDALE, Arizona - Colorado Rockies pitcher Jayson Aquino has been taken to a hospital for tests after being hit in the head by a line drive during an intrasquad game.
CASPER, Wyoming - A fishing pole and a small tackle box sit in a locked data cabinet on the fourth floor of the Casper Business Center.
TUCSON, Arizona - Nicknamed "Old Pueblo," Tucson, Arizona, is a city with many faces. It's a college town. It's an artist town. It's even still a Wild West town. Every February, southern Arizona's biggest city, located 115 miles (185 kilometers) below Phoenix, keeps schools open on President's Day but closes them later in the week for the annual Tucson Rodeo Parade.
BLACK MOUNTAIN, North Carolina - Fire investigators say it could take several days to determine what started a fire that destroyed two homes in the mountains of western North Carolina.
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Officials are using controlled fires to clean up two state parks in coming days.