- Md. gas drilling damage compensation fund proposed Updated: Dec-11-13 3:19 am
- Athletics trade LHP Brett Anderson to Rockies Updated: Dec-10-13 5:43 pm
- DEP ordered to assist mining inspection near Blair Updated: Dec-10-13 3:54 pm
- Proposal to name Nevada peak after Reagan derailed Updated: Dec-08-13 9:22 pm
- Beckley couple works on to-do list of W.Va. sites Updated: Dec-08-13 2:14 pm
- Canadian hikers helped off NH mountain Updated: Dec-08-13 8:29 am
- Small Wyoming ski areas looks for ways to survive Updated: Dec-07-13 11:08 am
- Legal battles stall removal of Indy sand pile Updated: Dec-07-13 10:19 am
- Feds to scrutinize big eastern Idaho power outage Updated: Dec-06-13 12:31 pm
- Yurts offer comfort and style in winter camping Updated: Dec-04-13 7:18 pm
- Reid to blame for Senate's malfunction, Alexander says Updated: Dec-04-13 12:52 pm
- Western NC mountain wildfire contained Updated: Dec-04-13 12:26 pm
- Teaching young skiers: Keep the focus on fun Updated: Dec-03-13 3:51 pm
- Ski lodges going to more modern look Updated: Dec-03-13 10:30 am
- $5 Christmas tree permits offered by NH forest Updated: Dec-02-13 6:35 am
- Ohio event honors annual 'Child of Appalachia' Updated: Dec-01-13 1:35 pm
- White Mountain National Forest hosts mobile museum Updated: Dec-01-13 10:45 am
- Wash. nuclear engineer turns rescue volunteer Updated: Nov-30-13 5:55 pm
- Idaho company pushes plan to divert Big Wood water Updated: Nov-30-13 2:25 pm
- Western states want delay in wolverine listing Updated: Nov-29-13 4:01 pm
- Colorado Mountain College sees immigrant boost Updated: Nov-29-13 10:36 am
- Missing Mount Rainier hiker walks out on his own Updated: Nov-27-13 3:35 pm
- St. Augustine attraction zips over alligators Updated: Nov-27-13 11:41 am
- Even in peak ski season, Aspen has some freebies Updated: Nov-27-13 11:01 am
- Flood's toll incurred by few, borne by many Updated: Nov-26-13 6:24 pm
MOUNTAIN LAKE PARK, Maryland - Some people concerned about the effects of natural gas drilling in western Maryland are proposing a fund to compensate those whose livelihoods or property values are diminished by drilling.
OAKLAND, California - The Oakland Athletics found a trade partner for pitcher Brett Anderson and his big salary.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection has been ordered to work with coalfield citizens to reschedule an inspection of strip mining taking place near historic Blair Mountain in Logan County.
LAS VEGAS - A proposal to name a southern Nevada peak after former President Ronald Reagan has been derailed.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - As the New Year approaches, it's not too soon to put together a list of stuff to accomplish and sites to see.
CONWAY, New Hampshire - Six Canadian hikers were helped off New Hampshire's Mount Washington after they called 911 from the mountain's auto road.
CASPER, Wyoming - Chris Smith has spent most of his life on small mountains.
INDIANAPOLIS - Residents of a low-income Indianapolis neighborhood dwarfed by a giant pile of foundry sand say they're frustrated that the eyesore remains years after city and state officials and a judge ordered it removed.
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho - Federal regulators are now investigating a power outage in eastern Idaho that left 70,000 people without electricity for up to 10 hours amid a subzero cold snap.
IDAHO CITY, Idaho - The Mongolians would never have imagined it.
12-04-13 - KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - The U.S. Senate is not functioning as it should, and U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., blames one person: Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Nevada Democrat.
MORGANTON, North Carolina - The U.S. Forest Service says a wildfire in the mountains of western North Carolina has been contained.
SALT LAKE CITY - A hard wind pelted exposed areas of our faces with tiny pellets of sleet and drove the 16-degree air through any chink in the ski gear covering my 4-year-old son Alex and me. He'd just fallen getting off a ski lift at Utah's Brighton Ski Resort and I could see the tears welling up through the goggles.
SNOWMASS, Colorado - The rustic ski lodge has been a staple of ski towns pretty much since the first resort was erected on the side of a mountain.
CAMPTON, New Hampshire - The White Mountain National Forest is offering $5 Christmas tree permits for people who want to cut their own trees.
NELSONVILLE, Ohio - An entrepreneur and mayor who has worked for Appalachian regional economic development will be honored for his efforts for his home region.
GORHAM, New Hampshire - A mobile museum that explores the history of forest land in northern New England and New York is hunkering down for the winter in New Hampshire's White Mountain National Forest.
BREMERTON, Washington - Mountain rescues are fraught with experiences most people try to avoid: cold, pain, exhaustion, danger, failure.
KETCHUM, Idaho - A company's proposal to divert water from a central Idaho river to recharge a local aquifer so its clients can use their wells during dry periods has drawn opposition from conservation groups, government agencies and utilities on concerns the project could hurt fish and create conflicts among water users.
SALT LAKE CITY - An organization of wildlife officials for Western states is asking the federal government to delay a possible listing for wolverines as a threatened species, which could mean an end to trapping outside Alaska for the animal's fur.
ASPEN, Colorado - Colorado Mountain College in western Colorado is seeing a large number of students taking advantage of in-state tuition rates for immigrants without legal residence.
MOUNT RAINIER NATIONAL PARK, Washington - A hiker who didn't return home from a day trip to Mount Rainier has been found.
ST. AUGUSTINE, Florida - I was slowly crossing a swinging log bridge when I paused, sensing the alligator 12 feet below was staring at me.
DENVER - A trip to Aspen during peak ski season is going to set you back some cash. But even those who can afford the posh Colorado mountain town will enjoy checking out what's free, from high-altitude adventures to creature comforts.
DRAKE, Colorado - Lifelong canyon resident Mary Myers hangs a painted sheet from her front porch overlooking the Big Thompson River.