- State struggles to expand beds for drug treatment programs Updated: Aug-29-15 10:49 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Roughly 40 people wait for treatment at Serenity Place in a given week, hoping for a spot in one of the program's eight beds for drug addiction treatment.
- Doctors, nurses to be trained in stopping overprescribing Updated: Aug-27-15 10:57 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Gov. Maggie Hassan has announced a series of regional education conferences to train doctors, nurses and pharmacists in stopping drug addiction and abuse, including best practices for preventing overprescribing opioids.
- Ga. drug treatment center to pay feds $20,000 to settle case Updated: Aug-26-15 4:32 am
GAINESVILLE, Georgia - A Georgia drug treatment center has agreed to pay $20,000 to settle allegations by federal investigators that it failed to keep required records of controlled drugs in its inventory.
- Another addiction treatment center to close in Maine Updated: Aug-25-15 2:46 pm
SANFORD, Maine - A second nonprofit outpatient drug treatment facility in Maine says it's closing due to a lack of governmental support.
- Rauner cuts drug-treatment funding from heroin bill Updated: Aug-24-15 9:13 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner vetoed Monday critical pieces of a bill to intended fight heroin addiction and overdoses, saying that while he supports the measure in principle, the state can't afford it.
- Maine ends $570K contract with substance abuse program group Updated: Aug-17-15 2:21 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - A substance abuse provider organization is scrambling to find funding for two prevention and recovery programs that it says will come to a halt because one of its long-standing contracts with the state is being terminated.
- Maine senators seek increased access to addiction treatment Updated: Aug-15-15 9:16 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine's U.S. senators are calling on the federal government to provide more access to treatment for people who are addicted to prescription painkillers.
- Addict amnesty: Police give heroin addicts support, rehab Updated: Aug-14-15 4:36 pm
GLOUCESTER, Massachusetts - The young woman nursing a fresh black eye has come to the police station in this old fishing city for help. But she's not looking to report a crime or seek someone's arrest. She wants help kicking her heroin addiction.
- Governor seeks review of New Hampshire treatment regulations Updated: Aug-12-15 4:08 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Democratic Gov. Maggie Hassan and state health officials are calling for a review of licensing requirements at substance abuse treatment centers as the demand for treatment increases.
- Officials detail expanded substance abuse treatment programs Updated: Aug-12-15 2:40 pm
HARRINGTON, Delaware - A new detox center expected to open within a few weeks in Harrington is part of a broader expansion of substance abuse treatment and recovery services in Delaware, officials said Wednesday.
- Quest Recovery Center scaling back alcohol, drug treatment Updated: Aug-09-15 4:47 am
DECATUR, Alabama - A treatment center in northern Alabama will be scaling back its outpatient alcohol and drug treatment programs.
- Vermont gets $3 million to expand opioid addiction treatment Updated: Aug-07-15 4:17 pm
BURLINGTON, Vermont - Vermont is getting $3 million in federal funding to expand treatment options for addiction to heroin and other opioids, officials announced Friday.
- Correction: Heroin Abuse story Updated: Aug-04-15 1:41 pm
LACONIA, New Hampshire - In a story Aug. 3 about efforts to combat the heroin abuse problem in New Hampshire, a quote provided by U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte's office misstated the status of a budget amendment that provided funding to address heroin and prescription drug abuse. The amendment was passed by the Senate Budget Committee, not the full Senate.
- Maine gets $800,000 for substance abuse treatment services Updated: Aug-02-15 12:36 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine's Department of Health and Human Services is getting $800,000 to support substance abuse treatment and recovery.
- Only methadone clinic in Mat-Su Valley will close Updated: Aug-02-15 10:52 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The only methadone clinic in Alaska's Mat-Su Valley will close in less than a month.