- Dalrymple appoints 3 lawyers to newly created ND judgeships Updated: Jul-27-15 6:50 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Gov. Jack Dalrymple has appointed three lawyers to newly created North Dakota district court judgeships.
- High court may get first independent candidate since 1990s Updated: Jul-27-15 6:19 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A Philadelphia judge could become the first independent or minor-party candidate more than two decades to make the ballot for Pennsylvania's highest court.
- McAuliffe names longtime Fairfax judge to Va. Supreme Court Updated: Jul-27-15 11:56 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - The northern Virginia judge who presided over one of the D.C. sniper trials was appointed Monday to the state Supreme Court.
- Panel sends Dayton names of 3 women for Supreme Court slot Updated: Jul-27-15 11:31 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The names of two judges and the city attorney for Minneapolis, all of them women, were forwarded Monday to Gov. Mark Dayton as the candidates he should consider to replace retiring Supreme Court Justice Alan Page.
- Judge stops Caddo Parish judges from enforcing funding order Updated: Jul-27-15 7:18 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A Baton Rouge judge has ordered Caddo Parish's criminal court judges must stop ordering the public defender board to fund private lawyers appointed to represent indigent defendants that the public defenders are unable to defend due to conflicts.
- Minor parties get court win in ballot-access lawsuit Updated: Jul-24-15 7:21 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A federal judge threw out provisions in Pennsylvania law on Friday that he said make it unconstitutionally difficult for independent or minor political party candidates to get onto ballots because of the threat of costly court challenges.
- Federal judge wants deadlines in cleanup at Hanford Updated: Jul-24-15 3:31 pm
RICHLAND, Washington - Specific requirements and deadlines are needed to hold the U.S. Department of Energy accountable in the cleanup at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation, a federal judge told state and federal officials on Thursday.
- Ex-Supreme Court chief given key role in sex offender case Updated: Jul-23-15 8:16 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Former Minnesota Supreme Court Chief Justice Eric Magnuson was appointed Thursday to help facilitate potential changes to the state's civil commitment program for sex offenders, which was ruled unconstitutional last month.
- Bahamas Judge: Developer's US bankruptcy won't be recognized Updated: Jul-22-15 3:48 pm
KINGSTON, Jamaica - A judge in the Bahamas ruled Wednesday that a U.S. bankruptcy filing by the developer of an unfinished $2.5 billion megaresort in Nassau will not be recognized in the Caribbean archipelago.
- Obama nominates US magistrate to federal bench in Iowa Updated: Jul-21-15 6:32 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - President Barack Obama has nominated a U.S. magistrate to fill an opening on the federal bench in Iowa.
- Retired Family Court judge Jeremiah dies at age of 80 Updated: Jul-20-15 5:14 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Jeremiah S. Jeremiah Jr., retired chief judge of Rhode Island's Family Court who was honored for innovations during his 24-year tenure, has died at the age of 80.
- Walker calls for dismantling of state elections board Updated: Jul-20-15 3:52 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker on Monday called for the dismantling of an independent state agency that oversees elections and authorized an investigation into his 2012 recall campaign.
- Former Farmington police sergeant to serve as judge Updated: Jul-20-15 5:05 am
FARMINGTON, New Mexico - A former Farmington police sergeant has been appointed a magistrate judge.
- Altice appointed to fill vacancy on Indiana Court of Appeals Updated: Jul-17-15 11:37 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Gov. Mike Pence has appointed a Marion Superior Court judge to fill a vacancy being left on the Indiana Court of Appeals by the retirement next month of Judge Ezra Friedlander.
- Logan County Family Court judge resigns Updated: Jul-16-15 7:31 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - A Logan County Family Court judge has resigned.
- Panel to consider redrawing Montana's judicial districts Updated: Jul-13-15 3:08 pm
HELENA, Montana - A newly appointed panel will consider whether to redraw Montana's judicial districts for the first time in more than 80 years.
- GOP members pick ex-district judge to run for Senate vacancy Updated: Jul-11-15 1:08 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Republicans in western Pennsylvania have chosen a former district judge as their nominee to fill a state Senate vacancy.
- Tomblin appoints 2 circuit judges in W.Va. Updated: Jul-10-15 4:53 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin has filled two vacant circuit judge positions in West Virginia.
- Zachary to succeed Steelman on N. Carolina Court of Appeals Updated: Jul-09-15 5:42 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A Yadkin County lawyer is joining the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
- US senators announce their pick for federal judgeship Updated: Jul-09-15 2:20 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island's U.S. senators have recommended a successor to retiring U.S. District Judge Mary Lisi.
- Judge says UK has been stunned by scale of child sex abuse Updated: Jul-09-15 11:15 am
LONDON - Britain has been stunned by revelations about child sexual abuse, a judge said Thursday, warning that the true scale of the crime has been underestimated and one in 20 children may have been a victim.
- Budget includes pay hike for Governor's Council Updated: Jul-09-15 7:22 am
BOSTON - The state budget now on Gov. Charlie Baker's desk includes a $10,000 pay raise for the Governor's Council, a part-time elected body that votes on judicial nominations.
- New lawyers given to Ohio man accused of US Capitol plot Updated: Jul-08-15 4:06 pm
CINCINNATI - A federal judge on Wednesday appointed new attorneys for a man accused of plotting to attack the U.S. Capitol in support of Islamic State group extremists.
- Judge keeps Joni Mitchell's friend in charge of medical care Updated: Jul-08-15 3:42 pm
LOS ANGELES - A judge on Wednesday praised Joni Mitchell's longtime friend for helping the singer-songwriter recover from an aneurysm and ruled that she should continue to make medical decisions for the musician.
- Panel seeks public comment on 9 Court of Appeals applicants Updated: Jul-07-15 9:11 am
PHOENIX - Three Pima County Superior Court judges and a county official are among nine applicants being considered for possible appointment to the state Court of Appeals division in Tucson.