- Justice Dickson hailed for his civility, grace at retirement Updated: Apr-29-16 5:55 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Supreme Court Justice Brent Dickson ended his long tenure on the state's high court Friday with a retirement ceremony filled with praise from the court's other justices for his civility, grace and a legacy of nearly 900 legal opinions.
- Judge who presided over serial killer's trial leaves bench Updated: Apr-29-16 5:53 am
PHOENIX - Applications are being accepted to fill two Maricopa County Superior Court vacancies created by retirements of judges, including one who presided over the nearly seven-month-long trial of a serial killer.
- Burr already scuttling new Obama court nomination Updated: Apr-28-16 7:35 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - President Barack Obama's latest pick Thursday to fill a longstanding vacancy in eastern North Carolina's federal courts already appears scuttled by Republican Sen. Richard Burr, who blames the president for not acting in good faith.
- UNLV law professor nominated for federal judge in Nevada Updated: Apr-28-16 6:02 pm
LAS VEGAS - A University of Nevada, Las Vegas, law professor has been nominated by President Barack Obama for a judgeship on the U.S. District Court in Nevada.
- Walker starts looking for Prosser replacement on high court Updated: Apr-28-16 4:39 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker has started searching for someone to finish out most of Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice David Prosser's term.
- Polish president OKs new judge for top court as crisis grows Updated: Apr-28-16 11:05 am
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's president on Thursday swore in a new judge to the Constitutional Tribunal as political conflict over appointments to the court seeped down to local authority level.
- Prince's estate to be temporarily managed by trust company Updated: Apr-27-16 7:19 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - A Minnesota judge appointed a corporate trust company on Wednesday to temporarily oversee Prince's multimillion-dollar estate, saying the emergency appointment was necessary because the superstar musician doesn't appear to have a will and immediate decisions must be made about his business interests.
- Okla. senators thank Garland for bombing work, oppose vote Updated: Apr-27-16 5:45 pm
WASHINGTON - Oklahoma Republican Sens. Jim Inhofe and James Lankford say they have thanked Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland for his lead role investigating the 1995 bombing at the federal building in Oklahoma City.
- Ohio judge won't hear motion to dismiss toddler death case Updated: Apr-27-16 12:26 am
HAMILTON, Ohio - An Ohio judge appointed to consider dismissing charges in a toddler's fatal beating has recused himself after defense objections.
- The Latest: Cruz shoots an airball at 'basketball ring' Updated: Apr-27-16 12:15 am
WASHINGTON - The Latest on campaign 2016 as voters head to the polls in Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware and Maryland (all times Eastern):
- Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump win primary in Maryland Updated: Apr-26-16 11:20 pm
BALTIMORE - Hillary Clinton won the Democratic presidential primary in Maryland on Tuesday, and Donald Trump won the state's Republican presidential primary.
- Federal ruling on N Carolina voting laws bolsters voter ID Updated: Apr-26-16 10:12 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Civil rights and elections attorneys said Tuesday they will appeal a federal court ruling upholding North Carolina's 2013 major rewrite of its voting laws, a decision that marks at least a temporary victory for another state that requires photo identification to vote.
- Hot-potato corruption case assigned to Albuquerque judge Updated: Apr-26-16 2:43 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - A Republican district court judge from Albuquerque has been appointed to oversee criminal proceedings against former Sen. Phil Griego after nine Santa Fe-based judges stepped aside or were excused.
- Grayson, Jolly get crowd-sourced questions in debate Updated: Apr-25-16 9:07 pm
ORLANDO, Florida - U.S. Reps. Alan Grayson and David Jolly answered questions Monday about allowing a vote on the U.S. Supreme Court nominee, the financial system, the influence of money on the political system and climate change from actor Mark Ruffalo, as well as regular voters, during a debate in which questions were crowd-sourced.
- Christie's Supreme Court pick approved by Senate Updated: Apr-25-16 8:56 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Republican Gov. Chris Christie's nominee for the New Jersey Supreme Court sailed through to final approval on Monday, part of a deal Christie made with the Democratic leader of the state Senate.
- Court bars extension in case against Essex County executive Updated: Apr-25-16 4:07 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A state watchdog group can't get an extension to pursue campaign finance allegations against Essex County Executive Joseph DiVincenzo, an appeals court ruled Monday in a decision that dealt a setback to the case against the powerful northern New Jersey Democrat.
- Ducey appoints Yuma County prosecutor for judicial opening Updated: Apr-25-16 12:53 pm
PHOENIX - A Yuma County prosecutor will fill a vacant Superior Court judgeship.
- Judges, lawyers, draft rules to not jail poor who owe fines Updated: Apr-25-16 11:36 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Judges and lawyers for the New Hampshire Civil Liberties Union have hammered out an agreement that would halt the jailing of indigents who fail to pay fines until a lawyer can be appointed for them.
- Deadline set for applications for Nebraska Supreme Court Updated: Apr-24-16 5:15 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The deadline for those interested in filling a vacant Nebraska Supreme Court seat to apply is May 11.
- Nebraska counties split on juvenile attorney appointments Updated: Apr-24-16 8:37 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska is taking steps to ensure juveniles who get into legal trouble have representation, but lack of resources will exclude children in most counties from a law that advocates call essential for juvenile justice reform.
- May 5 deadline for applications for judicial vacancy Updated: Apr-23-16 5:57 pm
BEATRICE, Nebraska - A May 5 deadline has been set for applications to fill a vacancy left by the retirement of Gage County District Judge Paul Korslund.
- Supreme Court justices Viviano, Larsen launch campaigns Updated: Apr-22-16 8:53 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan Supreme Court Justices David Viviano and Joan Larsen have formally announced bids to retain their seats in the 2016 election.
- Utah senators push for 1 Obama pick but not the other Updated: Apr-22-16 6:36 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Two U.S. senators from Utah are pushing for the confirmation of President Barack Obama's Utah federal judicial nominee, but they have said they won't attend hearings to consider his Supreme Court pick.
- Illinois judge dismisses murder charge in girl's '57 slaying Updated: Apr-22-16 12:32 pm
SYCAMORE, Illinois - A judge formally dismissed a murder case Friday against a retired Washington state police officer who a prosecutor says was wrongly convicted in the 1957 killing of a 7-year-old Illinois girl, but he put off a decision on whether to appoint a special prosecutor.
- The Latest: No decision yet on new prosecutor in '57 slaying Updated: Apr-22-16 11:41 am
SYCAMORE, Illinois - The Latest on a retired Washington state police officer who an Illinois prosecutor says was wrongly convicted in a 1957 slaying (all times local):