- 3rd Massachusetts justice in 1 week announces retirement Updated: Feb-10-16 2:03 pm
BOSTON - Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court justice Fernande Duffly said Wednesday she would retire in July, making her the third member of the state's highest court in the past week to announce plans to leave the bench and providing Gov. Charlie Baker a rare chance to shape the court's long-term future.
- Bullock suspends work of Clean Power Plan panel after ruling Updated: Feb-09-16 8:46 pm
HELENA, Montana - Montana Gov. Steve Bullock on Tuesday suspended the work of a panel appointed to address new federal carbon dioxide emissions rules after the U.S. Supreme Court temporarily blocked the key component of President Barack Obama's climate change plan.
- Senator says she changed mind, will OK governor's court pick Updated: Feb-09-16 5:22 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - A Democratic senator who broke from her party to support Republicans' pick for the Virginia Supreme Court says she has changed her mind.
- State district judge confirmed to Iowa federal court Updated: Feb-09-16 2:35 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A Polk County district court judge has been approved to serve as a judge in one of Iowa's federal courts.
- DC gun case gets new judge after appeals court ruling Updated: Feb-09-16 12:17 pm
WASHINGTON - A new judge has been assigned to oversee a case about the District of Columbia's strict gun laws.
- Group launches ad blitz in Arkansas' chief justice race Updated: Feb-08-16 5:26 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A Washington-based group launched television ads Monday portraying Arkansas Supreme Court Justice Courtney Goodson as beholden to trial lawyers and criticizing the chief justice hopeful over gifts and campaign contributions she's received.
- TV ads hit airwaves ahead of Wisconsin Supreme Court primary Updated: Feb-08-16 4:31 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Television ads are hitting the airwaves as Wisconsin's Supreme Court race heads into its final week before a primary whittles the three-candidate field down to two contenders.
- Retired Superior Court judge tapped for Chancery Court post Updated: Feb-08-16 1:33 pm
DOVER, Delaware - Gov. Jack Markell has tapped a retired Superior Court judge to fill a vacancy on Delaware's Court of Chancery.
- Courthouse in Oklahoma City to be named after late judge Updated: Feb-06-16 1:19 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The federal courthouse in Oklahoma City is to be dedicated next week to honor the longest sitting judge on the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals, which includes Oklahoma.
- Editorials from around New England Updated: Feb-06-16 1:17 pm
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New England newspapers:
- Justice Francis Spina of Massachusetts high court to retire Updated: Feb-05-16 12:41 pm
BOSTON - For the second time in a week, a Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court justice has announced his retirement.
- For 1st time since Civil War Chief Justice will keep post Updated: Feb-05-16 9:48 am
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - For the first time since the end of the Civil War, the chief justice of the Florida Supreme Court will serve consecutive terms.
- Kansas House rejects change in selecting high court justices Updated: Feb-04-16 11:00 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House rejected a proposal Thursday that would give the governor and legislators more control over appointments to the state Supreme Court.
- Roberts: Partisan confirmation fights hurt court's image Updated: Feb-04-16 7:05 pm
WASHINGTON - Chief Justice John Roberts says he is concerned that partisan political battles over Supreme Court nominations have led to a widespread misunderstanding about the role of the court.
- Prosecutor, defense lawyer nominated to be federal judges Updated: Feb-04-16 5:26 pm
NEW ORLEANS - President Barack Obama has nominated U.S. Attorney Stephanie Finley and defense attorney Claude Kelly III to serve as federal judges in Louisiana.
- Ricketts appoints eastern Nebraska judge to Supreme Court Updated: Feb-03-16 6:29 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Gov. Pete Ricketts has appointed an eastern Nebraska judge to serve on the state Supreme Court.
- Justice Robert Cordy of state's high court to retire Updated: Feb-03-16 4:47 pm
BOSTON - Robert Cordy, an associate justice of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court since 2001, announced Wednesday he would retire in August, giving Republican Gov. Charlie Baker the opportunity to make his first nomination to the state's highest court.
- US Magistrate Judge Carolyn Ostby stepping down from bench Updated: Feb-03-16 1:53 am
BILLINGS, Montana - Montana's first female federal judge has announced her resignation from the bench.
- Candidates vie for secretary of state post after scandal Updated: Feb-02-16 9:22 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The fall election for New Mexico secretary of state will pit Democratic Bernalillo County Clerk Maggie Toulouse Oliver against Republican state Rep. Nora Espinoza of Roswell in the wake of a scandal that landed the state election agency's former chief in jail.
- Court says no to ineffective counsel appeals for parents Updated: Feb-02-16 7:50 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Tennessee Supreme Court has ruled that parents have a constitutional right to be treated fairly during court proceedings in which they face losing their children but they cannot appeal termination orders on the grounds that their appointed attorneys were ineffective.
- Bradley's footage winds up in an outside group's ad Updated: Feb-02-16 6:38 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - An outside group posted an online campaign ad Tuesday using footage prepared by state Supreme Court Justice Rebecca Bradley, raising questions about whether Bradley has broken her pledge not to coordinate with such groups even though it's legal.
- The Latest: Trump campaign says rally raised $6 million Updated: Jan-28-16 11:47 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Latest on developments from the 2016 Republican race for president, less than a week out from the Iowa caucuses (all times local):
- Challengers warn of politics in Wisconsin Supreme Court race Updated: Jan-27-16 9:52 pm
MILWAUKEE - The two rivals trying to unseat Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice Rebecca Bradley warned of the influence of partisan politics on the state's highest court at a candidate forum Wednesday.
- Maine lawmakers confirm LePage's top lawyer as judge Updated: Jan-26-16 5:44 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - A legislative panel on Tuesday unanimously confirmed Gov. Paul LePage's chief legal counsel as a district court judge after LePage told lawmakers to avoid turning the nomination into a partisan fight
- Solicitor general among applicants for Supreme Court vacancy Updated: Jan-25-16 3:21 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana's solicitor general is among 30 attorneys and judges seeking to replace retiring Indiana Supreme Court Justice Brent Dickson.