- Ex-justice says politics can be factor on retiring Updated: Apr-20-14 2:37 pm
- Former Kansas lawmaker killed in ultralight crash Updated: Apr-18-14 6:58 pm
- Bullock appoints lawyer to Billings district court Updated: Apr-18-14 4:58 pm
- Nowell named to county judge post Updated: Apr-18-14 2:07 pm
- NY commission seeks Court of Appeals candidates Updated: Apr-18-14 3:06 am
- Chairman: Branstad staff pressured board on hires Updated: Apr-17-14 11:55 pm
- Patrick names Gants state's chief justice Updated: Apr-17-14 5:34 pm
- Judge names new defense attorneys in Selenski case Updated: Apr-17-14 4:34 pm
- Iowa Senate race suddenly more competitive Updated: Apr-17-14 4:30 pm
- Governor names district judge in Valencia County Updated: Apr-17-14 5:05 am
- Nakamoto appointed as Big Island family judge Updated: Apr-16-14 10:11 pm
- Court revives election challenge against Democrat Updated: Apr-16-14 3:07 pm
- Judge dismisses McCotter's suit against intern Updated: Apr-15-14 6:37 pm
- Florida editorial roundup Updated: Apr-15-14 4:46 pm
- Court upholds EPA emission standards Updated: Apr-15-14 4:08 pm
- Grand Island attorney named to judgeship Updated: Apr-15-14 1:32 pm
- Chafee nominates 2 to judicial commission Updated: Apr-15-14 1:07 pm
- Cuomo appoints 5 to NY midlevel appeals courts Updated: Apr-15-14 12:05 pm
- Prince George's judge to lead District Court Updated: Apr-14-14 6:49 pm
- Kansas court furloughs possible under new budget Updated: Apr-14-14 11:53 am
- Legislation targeting Okla. judiciary stirs debate Updated: Apr-13-14 3:43 pm
- Judge denies Shoffner request for attorney Updated: Apr-11-14 4:05 pm
- Judicial nominees forwarded to Nebraska governor Updated: Apr-11-14 5:52 am
- Special prosecutor appointed to investigate judge Updated: Apr-11-14 3:55 am
- SC lawmakers back out of special prosecutor bill Updated: Apr-10-14 7:55 pm
WASHINGTON - John Paul Stevens says he thinks it's appropriate for Supreme Court justices to factor in political considerations when weighing a decision to retire.
HILLSBORO, Kansas - A former six-term Kansas House member died Friday following an ultralight plane crash near his hometown, authorities said.
HELENA, Montana - Gov. Steve Bullock on Friday appointed Billings attorney Michael Glen Moses to a vacant district judgeship in Yellowstone County.
CLEVELAND, Mississippi - Gov. Phil Bryant has appointed W. Hunter Nowell as county court judge of Bolivar County.
ALBANY, New York - The state Commission on Judicial Nomination has requested recommendations and applications for New York's highest court, which has two upcoming vacancies.
DES MOINES, Iowa - The chairman of the state's Public Employment Relations Board said Thursday that two aides to Gov. Terry Branstad pressured the board to hire a friend of the administration, in the latest accusation that top government officials pushed to fill state positions with allies.
BOSTON - Ralph Gants, an associate justice of the Supreme Judicial Court, was nominated by Gov. Deval Patrick on Thursday to serve as the chief justice of the state's highest court.
WILKES-BARRE, Pennsylvania - Two new defense attorneys have been appointed in the long-delayed double-murder trial of Hugo Selenski.
DES MOINES, Iowa - A catchy political ad and a gotcha video have raised Republican hopes of capturing a U.S. Senate seat in Iowa, enhancing the party's chances of regaining control of the chamber.
SANTA FE, New Mexico - A Los Lunas lawyer has been appointed by Republican Gov. Susana Martinez to a judgeship on the 13th Judicial District Court in Valencia County.
HONOLULU - The Hawaii state Judiciary says a Hilo lawyer has been appointed as a family court judge on the Big Island.
SANTA FE, New Mexico - New Mexico's highest court revived a lawsuit on Wednesday that seeks to remove a maverick Democratic legislator from the June 3 primary election ballot.
DETROIT - Ex-Michigan U.S. Rep. Thaddeus McCotter's lawsuit alleging that a former intern deliberately submitted forged petitions to keep him from seeking re-election has been dismissed.
Recent editorials from Florida newspapers:
WASHINGTON - A federal appeals court on Tuesday upheld the Environmental Protection Agency's first emission standards for mercury and other hazardous air pollutants from coal- and oil-fired power plants.
GRAND ISLAND, Nebraska - A former Hall County prosecutor has been named to fill an open district court judgeship in eastern Nebraska's 5th Judicial District.
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee has announced two nominations to the state's Judicial Nominating Commission.
ALBANY, New York - Gov. Andrew Cuomo has appointed five trial court judges to vacancies on midlevel Appellate Division courts.
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - A judge from Prince George's County will take over this spring as the top judge of Maryland District Court.
TOPEKA, Kansas - State court officials are unsure whether a Kansas budget approved this year by the Legislature will allow them to avoid furloughs for employees, while still providing additional funding for operations and a new document system.
OKLAHOMA CITY - For the first time since a bribery scandal rocked Oklahoma's Supreme Court 50 years ago, state lawmakers are considering tinkering with the way Supreme Court justices and appellate court judges are selected.
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A federal judge has turned down a request by former Arkansas treasurer Martha Shoffner for him to appoint her hand-picked lawyer to represent her in her appeal of her corruption convictions.
LINCOLN, Nebraska - A judicial nominating commission has forwarded the names of two nominees to fill a vacant central Nebraska county court judgeship to Gov. Dave Heineman for his consideration.
INDIANAPOLIS - A special prosecutor will investigate whether a Tippecanoe County judge should face charges for using his publicly owned computer to send campaign email.
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina House members removed their names Thursday from legislation that would allow the General Assembly to decide whether an independent prosecutor should investigate ethics allegations against a constitutional officer or other officers under the governor's control.