- Lawyer detained for obstructing Brazil corruption probe Updated: Nov-27-15 12:42 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - A lawyer representing a key convict in the corruption scandal at Brazil's state-run oil giant Petrobras was detained Friday as he arrived at Rio de Janeiro's international airport, police said.
- Thai police allege armed plot by government opponents Updated: Nov-26-15 9:30 am
BANGKOK - Thai police said Thursday they have uncovered a plot by opponents of the military government involving an armed attack during upcoming events commemorating the country's monarchy.
- Mexican Green Party leader resigns post amid investigation Updated: Nov-26-15 12:49 am
MEXICO CITY - Mexican prosecutors said Wednesday that they have opened a criminal investigation of a leader of Mexico's Green Party for allegedly violating electoral laws in June's midterm elections.
- Outgoing Argentine president says she's not going away Updated: Nov-25-15 5:27 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - When Argentines chose a new president in recent elections, many voters seemed more concerned about what would happen with the old one.
- Under fire, Pennsylvania attorney general plans email review Updated: Nov-25-15 3:10 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The Pennsylvania Senate moved a step closer on Wednesday to potentially removing the state's embattled attorney general from office, while she raised the possibility of criminal charges against others in a slowly unfolding scandal involving public officials exchanging sexually explicit or otherwise offensive emails.
- House Democrats push campaign finance reform, ethics board Updated: Nov-24-15 7:12 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - House Democratic leaders on Tuesday rolled out their proposals for reforming New Mexico's scandal-plagued campaign finance reporting system and creating a statewide ethics commission - measures they say would help restore voters' faith in government.
- Former NY lawmaker gets house arrest for lying to FBI Updated: Nov-24-15 2:09 pm
WHITE PLANS, New York - A terminally ill former New York state senator will serve six months of house arrest after being convicted of lying to the FBI about arranging a high-paying job for his son.
- DeMaio accuser sentenced to probation over threatening email Updated: Nov-23-15 8:11 pm
SAN DIEGO - An aide to former California congressional candidate Carl DeMaio was sentenced Monday to five years' probation for lying to federal investigators about a threatening email he wrote but said might have come from DeMaio, one of several allegations that rocked one of last year's most closely watched congressional races.
- Alaska editorials Updated: Nov-23-15 12:03 pm
By The Associated Press - Here is a sampling of editorial opinions from Alaska newspapers:
- New York lawmakers slow to address corruption despite trials Updated: Nov-21-15 10:23 am
ALBANY, New York - Two of the most powerful men in New York state government are on trial for corruption at the same time. Voter turnout is lower than it's been in decades. And polls show the public is as distrustful as it is apathetic.
- Thai army says it's not involved in park corruption case Updated: Nov-20-15 9:32 am
BANGKOK - Thailand's military said Friday that an internal investigation has cleared senior officers of corruption in connection with the financing of a public park on army property featuring spectacular giant statutes of kings.
- Ex-county assessor convicted of misdemeanor election charges Updated: Nov-18-15 1:52 pm
SANTA ANA, California - A former Orange County assessor has been convicted of filing false nomination papers for a primary re-election bid last year.
- Rivals unmoved by Carson's complaints on scrutiny of his bio Updated: Nov-09-15 9:20 am
WASHINGTON - Ben Carson says it's time to move on from questions about the accuracy of his life story. But Tuesday's Republican debate makes that unlikely, and some of his GOP rivals say such scrutiny is part of running for president.
- Bedford couple convicted of stealing government funds Updated: Nov-07-15 10:02 am
LYNCHBURG, Virginia - A jury has convicted a Bedford couple of theft of government funds and other federal crimes.
- Anti-US activist convicted of buying gun for 'revolution' Updated: Nov-05-15 6:10 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - Jurors on Thursday convicted an anti-government activist on firearms charges after authorities said he sought out high-powered weaponry for a coming "second American revolution."
- Philadelphia congressman's son convicted of fraud charges Updated: Nov-05-15 2:44 pm
PHILADELPHIA - A veteran Philadelphia congressman's son was found guilty Thursday of federal bank and tax fraud charges.
- Democrats sweep 3 seats to lock state Supreme Court majority Updated: Nov-04-15 10:20 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Democrats celebrated a clean sweep of three open seats on the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, locking in a majority on the state's highest court for at least a decade that could help shape the legislative redistricting that will follow the 2020 census.
- Official convicted in anti-blight effort loses election bid Updated: Nov-04-15 5:51 am
BAY CITY, Michigan - A Bay City commissioner who was convicted of a misdemeanor for putting a neighbor's lawn mower, grill and fire pit on the curb has lost his re-election bid.
- NY voters pick 5 new lawmakers; GOP, Dems split Senate races Updated: Nov-04-15 12:20 am
ALBANY, New York - New York voters elected five new state lawmakers Tuesday in special elections - three of whom will replace politicians convicted of corruption.
- Next Guatemala president vows clean government, set example Updated: Nov-03-15 8:15 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Jimmy Morales, the TV comic elected Guatemala's next president amid widespread anger over corruption that took down the previous leader, vowed Tuesday to bolster the investigative bodies that blew the lid on the graft scandals.
- Ex-NY senator: Delay my prison term for seminar - on prison Updated: Oct-31-15 3:47 pm
NEW YORK - A former New York state senator will have to learn about prison life once he gets there for a bribery conviction.
- Former Connecticut congressman eyeing first selectman job Updated: Oct-31-15 12:57 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - As a three-term congressman Rob Simmons dealt with such weighty issues as domestic eavesdropping by the National Security Administration and the treatment of terrorists.
- Florida Gov. orders execution for convicted serial killer Updated: Oct-30-15 5:28 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A convicted serial killer is scheduled to die Jan. 7 for the brutal murder of a central Florida bank clerk.
- Dennis Richardson announce run for Oregon secretary of state Updated: Oct-29-15 3:53 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Former Republican state Rep. Dennis Richardson announced Thursday that he will run for Oregon secretary of state in an attempt at a political comeback a year after he lost his bid for governor.
- Review: Bullock entertains as a ruthless campaign operative Updated: Oct-29-15 10:41 am
They say timing is everything - or at least a whole lot. And on several fronts, the George Clooney-produced "Our Brand is Crisis," starring Sandra Bullock as a damaged, ruthless political consultant, has absolutely perfect timing.