- South African court hears case against president Updated: Feb-09-16 11:45 am
JOHANNESBURG - The chant "Pay back the money" filtered into South Africa's highest court on Tuesday, as judges heard a case in which President Jacob Zuma is accused of violating the constitution in a scandal over state spending on his private home.
- Nebraska Supreme Court to hear former police chief's appeal Updated: Feb-09-16 7:13 am
SIDNEY, Nebraska - The Nebraska Supreme Court will hear an appeal from Sidney's former police chief who was convicted of obstructing government operations.
- French ex-minister in court over tax fraud, money laundering Updated: Feb-08-16 12:18 pm
PARIS - Jerome Cahuzac was the face of France's fight against tax evaders - until he was forced to acknowledge that he himself was dodging taxes, hiding money in tax havens around the world.
- Judge who presided over Martha Stewart's NY trial dies at 86 Updated: Feb-05-16 7:40 pm
NEW YORK - A federal judge who presided over Martha Stewart's criminal trial in New York has died. Miriam Cedarbaum was 86.
- Daugaard proposes oversight overhaul after GEAR UP scandal Updated: Feb-05-16 5:07 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - Gov. Dennis Daugaard is proposing an overhaul of oversight for state government entities and outside organizations that receive grants through the state after a murder-suicide last year involving two employees of a Platte-based educational cooperative.
- Ukrainian minister hopes resignation will speed up reforms Updated: Feb-05-16 9:48 am
KIEV, Ukraine - The Ukrainian economy minister whose resignation plunged the country into yet another political crisis said on Friday he hopes it will help create momentum for economic reforms.
- Kansas House rejects change in selecting high court justices Updated: Feb-04-16 11:00 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House rejected a proposal Thursday that would give the governor and legislators more control over appointments to the state Supreme Court.
- Ex-mayor convicted of taking bribes ordered to go to prison Updated: Feb-04-16 5:44 am
WHITE PLAINS, New York - A former New York mayor convicted of taking bribes has been ordered to report to prison by Feb. 29 after undergoing surgery.
- Shapiro, Zappala throw elbows in attorney general's race Updated: Feb-03-16 3:56 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The race for Pennsylvania attorney general is becoming very heated between two leading Democrats seeking to replace Attorney General Kathleen Kane, set off by former Gov. Ed Rendell's endorsement in the race Wednesday.
- Malaysian politician ousted after criticizing prime minister Updated: Feb-03-16 8:09 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The son of former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad resigned as the top leader of a federal state Wednesday, saying he was ousted because he had criticized Prime Minister Najib Razak over a $700 million financial scandal.
- Judge reduces prison sentence of former mayor Updated: Feb-03-16 6:19 am
BRANDON, Mississippi - A judge has reduced the prison sentence of a former mayor convicted of embezzlement.
- Candidates vie for secretary of state post after scandal Updated: Feb-02-16 9:22 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The fall election for New Mexico secretary of state will pit Democratic Bernalillo County Clerk Maggie Toulouse Oliver against Republican state Rep. Nora Espinoza of Roswell in the wake of a scandal that landed the state election agency's former chief in jail.
- Harwell: Durham scandal won't affect gubernatorial decision Updated: Feb-02-16 5:08 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - House Speaker Beth Harwell said Tuesday that the scandal surrounding a Republican lawmaker who has gone on hiatus amid sexual harassment allegations shouldn't damage her prospects as a serious gubernatorial candidate in Tennessee.
- Close ally of former Czech PM convicted in bribery case Updated: Feb-02-16 7:26 am
PRAGUE - A close friend and key adviser of former Czech Prime Minister Mirek Topolanek has been convicted of bribery and sentenced to five years in prison.
- High stakes in race to replace convicted Long Island senator Updated: Feb-01-16 5:47 pm
ALBANY, New York - With control of the New York Senate possibly up for grabs, Democrats and Republicans promised to aggressively campaign for the Long Island seat vacated when ex-Senate Leader Dean Skelos was convicted of federal corruption charges.
- The Latest: Trump campaign says rally raised $6 million Updated: Jan-28-16 11:47 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Latest on developments from the 2016 Republican race for president, less than a week out from the Iowa caucuses (all times local):
- Former Brazil president reacts to investigation of apartment Updated: Jan-28-16 2:10 pm
SAO PAULO - Former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva is angry over a prosecutor saying a luxury apartment that he once thought of buying could be part of a scheme to launder money from the corruption scandal buffeting state-owned oil company Petrobras.
- Japan economy minister quits over graft allegations Updated: Jan-28-16 6:09 am
TOKYO - Japan's economy minister resigned Thursday as he fended off corruption allegations, in a setback for Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's effort to rev up growth in the world's third-largest economy.
- Voters conflicted on relevance of Clinton marriage drama Updated: Jan-28-16 3:36 am
WASHINGTON - It's fair game. It's ancient history.
- Convicted ex-NY state Senate leader seeks new trial Updated: Jan-26-16 7:28 am
NEW YORK - Ex-New York state Senate majority leader Dean Skelos and his son are seeking a new trial six weeks after they were convicted of federal corruption charges.
- 10-year sentence for mayor convicted in FBI sting Updated: Jan-25-16 6:58 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Former New Roads Mayor Tommy Nelson Jr.'s 10-year prison stint stemming from his convictions in an FBI sting will stand after a federal appellate court found no problems with the judge's sentence. The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals issued its ruling Friday.
- Nigerian accused of corruption asks court to dismiss charges Updated: Jan-22-16 4:04 pm
LAGOS, Nigeria - A former Nigerian presidential adviser accused of diverting $2.2 billion meant to buy weapons to fight Boko Haram on Friday challenged the government's right to put him on trial.
- UAW union hopes for 'reset' on Volkswagen labor relations Updated: Jan-22-16 2:30 pm
CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee - The United Auto Workers union is hoping a management overhaul at Volkswagen in the aftermath of its diesel emissions cheating scandal will help ease an impasse over collective bargaining at the German automaker's lone U.S. plant.
- Honduras, OAS approve international team to fight corruption Updated: Jan-19-16 8:16 pm
TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras - Honduras and the Organization of American States on Tuesday approved a new international team of experts to help its legal system fight corruption in the Central American country.
- Court won't review ex-FBI agent's murder conviction Updated: Jan-19-16 6:53 pm
MIAMI - The Florida Supreme Court will not review the murder conviction of a former FBI agent in a decades-old case linked to imprisoned New England mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger.