- Q&A: What to look for with Guatemala's embattled president Updated: Sep-03-15 8:31 am
GUATEMALA CITY - President Otto Perez Molina has resigned amid a corruption scandal after Congress after a judge issued an order to detain him in the case.
- Guatemala president resigns amid corruption probe Updated: Sep-03-15 8:16 am
GUATEMALA CITY - Guatemalan President Otto Perez Molina has resigned in the face of a corruption scandal that has brought his government to the brink, a spokesman said early Thursday.
- Ex-Sen. Jane Orie appeals conviction to federal court Updated: Sep-02-15 3:56 pm
PITTSBURGH - Former Pennsylvania Sen. Jane Orie filed a federal appeal Wednesday of her state criminal conviction and prison sentence, arguing as she has previously without success in state court that a second trial amounted to double jeopardy.
- Wrigley admits affair; says he may still run for governor Updated: Sep-01-15 10:10 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - North Dakota's Republican Lt. Gov. Drew Wrigley, who has been on a short list of strong contenders for governor, said Tuesday that he had an extramarital affair that had ended and he was still actively considering a run for higher office.
- Prosecutors' web posts at issue again in politician's appeal Updated: Sep-01-15 4:01 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The lawyer for a former Louisiana legislator convicted of corruption in 2011 told a federal appeals court Tuesday that she should get a new trial because a former prosecutor's then-anonymous online postings tainted the judicial process.
- Police search premises of Turkish opposition business group Updated: Sep-01-15 12:13 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Police on Tuesday searched the premises of a business and media group close to a U.S.-based moderate Islamic cleric whom the government accuses of trying to destabilize it and detained six company officials, state media reported.
- Michigan House panel mulls 2 lawmakers' fitness for office Updated: Sep-01-15 11:53 am
LANSING, Michigan - A Michigan legislative committee on Tuesday held a disciplinary hearing for two conservative lawmakers accused of misusing public resources to hide an affair, including by sending a false, sexually explicit email claiming one of them had sex with a male prostitute.
- The Latest: Courser rips 'doctored' report, says he's target Updated: Aug-31-15 10:35 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The latest on the release of a report describing misconduct by two Michigan lawmakers who had an affair (all times local):
- Najib vows not to quit as Malaysia marks National Day Updated: Aug-31-15 1:16 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia's prime minister vowed he would not quit over a $700-million financial scandal, and accused protesters of showing "poor national spirit" by holding a massive rally to demand his resignation on the eve of the country's National Day on Monday.
- Brazil recession: GDP plunges 1.9 percent in second quarter Updated: Aug-28-15 8:28 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The bottom seems to have fallen out of Brazil's economy, with the government reporting Friday that the gross domestic product plunged 1.9 percent in the second quarter alone, once again throwing the nation into a technical recession.
- 3 convicted in anti-government militia plot receive 12 years Updated: Aug-28-15 7:55 pm
ROME, Georgia - Authorities say three North Georgia men have been sentenced to prison in an anti-government militia plot.
- The Latest: Defense says ex-senior's boasts were 'damning' Updated: Aug-28-15 5:31 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - The latest on the trial of a former student at an elite prep school accused of raping a freshman as part of a tradition called Senior Salute (all times local):
- The Latest: Sanders says party needs huge voter turnout Updated: Aug-28-15 4:39 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Here are the latest developments Friday from the Democratic National Committee meeting in Minneapolis, where four Democratic presidential candidates are addressing the party.
- Brazil's Rousseff faces growing impeachment threat Updated: Aug-28-15 9:57 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - If the worst economic crisis in a decade, a massive corruption scandal centered on her ruling party and approval ratings in the single digits weren't rough enough for Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff, she's now faced with an angry rival who controls the possibility of impeachment proceedings against her.
- Guatemalan ex-vice president held during corruption trial Updated: Aug-26-15 3:02 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - A judge ordered Guatemala's former vice president to remain in jail Wednesday while she stands trial on charges of conspiracy, customs fraud and bribery, based on allegations that she accepted $3.7 million in bribes as part of the scandal that forced her from office.
- Staffer re-hired after senator accused of harassment resigns Updated: Aug-25-15 5:51 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A Missouri Senate staff member was back at work Tuesday, a month after being fired by a senator who was facing allegations of sexually harassing interns.
- Ex Guatemalan vice president faces bribery allegations Updated: Aug-25-15 12:13 am
GUATEMALA CITY - Prosecutors in Guatemala alleged Monday that former Vice President Roxana Baldetti accepted $3.7 million in bribes as part of a customs corruption scandal that forced her from office and has shaken the government of President Otto Perez Molina.
- Leader of Brazil's lower house denies corruption charges Updated: Aug-21-15 5:26 pm
SAO PAULO - The speaker of Brazil's lower house of congress on Friday strongly denied newly filed charges of corruption and said he won't resign from office.
- McAllister seeks political comeback after cheating scandal Updated: Aug-21-15 4:13 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Former U.S. Rep. Vance McAllister, who lost his re-election bid last year after a cheating scandal, is trying to return to Louisiana politics.
- 'Kissing congressman' seeks political comeback this fall Updated: Aug-21-15 3:55 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Former U.S. Rep. Vance McAllister, who lost his re-election bid after a cheating scandal, is trying to return to Louisiana politics.
- Excerpts from recent Minnesota editorials Updated: Aug-20-15 10:56 am
St. Cloud Times, Aug. 19
- Longtime Ohio Congressman Louis Stokes dies at 90 Updated: Aug-19-15 2:20 pm
CLEVELAND - Former U.S. Rep. Louis Stokes, a 15-term congressman from Ohio who took on tough assignments looking into assassinations and scandals, has died at the age of 90, his family said Wednesday.
- Anti-government protesters take to streets across Brazil Updated: Aug-16-15 6:47 pm
SAO PAULO - Brazilians took to the streets of cities and towns across the country Sunday for anti-government protests being watched as a barometer of discontent with the increasingly unpopular President Dilma Rousseff.
- Malaysian leader silences critics, media to survive scandal Updated: Aug-16-15 1:20 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia's prime minister has a problem: He can't explain away a $700 million bank account to a skeptical public.
- India's Modi touts government achievements in annual speech Updated: Aug-15-15 5:50 am
NEW DELHI - Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi touted his government's poverty alleviation schemes in his Independence Day speech on Saturday, but the address was thin on plans for the future and made no mention of the setbacks to his economic reform agenda.