- Scandal-plagued Rome is becoming a 'do it yourself' city Updated: Apr-29-16 10:51 am
ROME - Armed with shovels and sacks of cold asphalt, Rome's residents fill potholes. Defying rats, they yank weeds and bag trash along the Tiber's banks and in urban parks. Tired of waiting years for the city to replace diseased trees, neighbors dig into their own pockets to pay for new ones for their block.
- Cambodia: 5 rights activists helped hide politician's affair Updated: Apr-29-16 9:39 am
PHNOM PENH, Cambodia - Cambodian authorities arrested five human rights workers Friday on accusations they tried to help cover up a woman's affair with the deputy leader of the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party. The action is the latest in a series by Prime Minister Hun Sen's government putting legal pressure on its critics and political opponents.
- Jury rules against Rio Grande Valley school board in suit Updated: Apr-29-16 9:32 am
MCALLEN, Texas - A federal court jury has recommended a Rio Grande Valley school district and four of its board members pay more than $3.2 million in damages after the panel found the school board members improperly retaliated against district workers who opposed them in 2014 elections.
- Ex-Montana Sen. Conrad Burns dies; influenced energy policy Updated: Apr-29-16 12:01 am
HELENA, Montana - Former Montana Sen. Conrad Burns, a former cattle auctioneer whose folksy demeanor and political acumen earned him three terms and the bitter disdain of his opponents, died Thursday. He was 81.
- Appeals court upholds conviction of ex-NYC councilman Updated: Apr-28-16 4:33 pm
NEW YORK - A New York City councilman's bribery and fraud conviction and 10-year prison term was upheld Thursday by an appeals court that rejected various arguments, including that the First Amendment protects some bribes.
- Correction: Supreme Court-Campaign Advisers story Updated: Apr-28-16 2:03 pm
BOISE, Idaho - In a story April 27 about Idaho Supreme Court candidate advisers, The Associated Press erroneously reported the name of the communications adviser for candidate Clive Strong. It's Melinda Nothern, not Northern.
- Restoration of felon voting rights challenges registrars Updated: Apr-28-16 1:18 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia registrars are facing the challenge of verifying applications from convicted felons registering to vote after Gov. Terry McAuliffe recently restored their voting and other civil rights.
- Police: Man groped woman prior to jumping White House fence Updated: Apr-28-16 10:18 am
WASHINGTON - Authorities say a man who jumped over the White House fence earlier this week had minutes earlier groped a female college student and previously robbed others of a cellphone and purse.
- House rejects bill to ease voting restrictions for felons Updated: Apr-27-16 7:29 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Lawmakers in the Louisiana House refused Wednesday to give felons the right to vote as soon as they exit prison.
- The Latest: Ballot count continues in NY Senate race Updated: Apr-27-16 5:54 pm
ALBANY, New York - The Latest on the counting of absentee ballots in the contested New York state Senate election on Long Island (all times local):
- Iowa simplifies voting rights restoration form for felons Updated: Apr-27-16 5:34 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The application form that convicted felons in Iowa must complete to seek restoration of their voting rights in Iowa has been made simpler, Gov. Terry Branstad said Wednesday, but voting rights advocates argue the process is still one of the most burdensome in the country.
- Rep. Southard of Moncks Corner steps down amid investigation Updated: Apr-27-16 2:46 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina Rep. Eddie Southard has resigned, saying he wants to protect his family, his honor and the integrity of the House.
- Rafferty, Shapiro win nominations to run for Pennsylvania AG Updated: Apr-26-16 11:24 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A state senator and county commissioner from the same suburban Philadelphia county will vie this fall for the seat being vacated by embattled Attorney General Kathleen Kane.
- Senator says fighter program has been scandal and tragedy Updated: Apr-26-16 12:19 pm
WASHINGTON - The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter's record on cost, schedule and performance has been a scandal and a tragedy, the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee told senior Pentagon officials Tuesday during a withering critique of the most expensive weapons program in U.S. military history.
- Ohio bill would restore rare coins sales tax exemption Updated: Apr-26-16 11:50 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A legislative committee is continuing to consider a bill that would restore a sales tax exemption for residents purchasing rare coins and precious metal bullion.
- Whistleblowers fight effort to settle pay-to-play claims Updated: Apr-25-16 11:45 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Whistleblowers held tight to their claims on behalf of New Mexico taxpayers in a pay-to-play scandal during the administration of former Gov. Bill Richardson, at a state district court hearing Monday in Albuquerque.
- The Latest: No resolution in New Mexico pay-to-play deal Updated: Apr-25-16 8:02 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The Latest on New Mexico's settlement offer in a pay-to-play scandal under former Gov. Bill Richardson (all times local):
- Cambodian ruling party sues commentator for defamation Updated: Apr-25-16 11:55 am
PHNOM PENH, Cambodia - Cambodia's ruling party filed a complaint Monday accusing a prominent social commentator of criminal defamation for saying the party manipulated a sex scandal involving an opposition leader.
- Banharn Silpa-archa, former Thai prime minister, dead at 83 Updated: Apr-23-16 3:40 am
BANGKOK - Banharn Silpa-archa, a provincial political powerbroker who served a scandal-ridden 16 months as Thailand's prime minister in 1995-96, has died at age 83.
- Brazil president will appeal to trade blocs over impeachment Updated: Apr-22-16 9:44 pm
NEW YORK - Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff said Friday she will appeal to South American trade blocs if she is removed from office, blasting the push to impeach her as a coup and a naked attempt by Brazil's elite to snatch power back from her Worker's Party.
- New Mexico eyes $24 million settlement in pay-to-play case Updated: Apr-22-16 8:25 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - New Mexico officials are considering whether to accept a $24 million settlement from an investment firm in what would be the largest payment yet in a pay-to-play scandal during the administration of former Gov. Bill Richardson.
- Romania party chief gets 2-year suspended sentence for fraud Updated: Apr-22-16 3:10 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - A Romanian court on Friday handed a two-year suspended prison sentence to the chairman of Romania's main political party for voting fraud in a referendum to impeach Romania's former president.
- Ex-political consultant pleads guilty to child pornography charge Updated: Apr-22-16 2:45 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A former New Mexico political consultant has pleaded guilty in Albuquerque federal court to a child pornography charge in a case stemming from theft of emails from Gov. Susana Martinez's campaign.
- EU nations support new blacklist for tax havens Updated: Apr-22-16 1:26 pm
AMSTERDAM - European Union nations want a strict common blacklist of non-cooperative tax jurisdictions that have been at the heart of the recent offshore accounts scandal in an effort to close loopholes and crack down on the use of tax havens.
- Philippine voter data hacked but polls to go ahead Updated: Apr-22-16 9:24 am
MANILA, Philippines - The hacking of a Philippine election database may have exposed the personal information of all 55 million registered voters, but will not undermine May 9 national elections, officials said Friday, in the latest hacking scandal to hit the Southeast Asian nation.