- Local Armenian families in Andover remember genocide Updated: May-02-15 10:25 am
ANDOVER, Massachusetts - Four generations of Susan Hazarvartian's family know the story of Verjene Masherejian.
- Centenary of 1.5 million Armenian deaths marked in NYC Updated: Apr-26-15 6:49 pm
NEW YORK - Thousands of people packed Times Square on Sunday to demand that the U.S. government recognize the deaths of up to 1.5 million Armenians during World War I as genocide.
- Armenian-American judge marks WWI-era killings Updated: Apr-25-15 10:35 am
CHICAGO - A federal judge in Chicago has marked the centennial of the start of the mass killings of Armenians by Ottoman Turks.
- Turkey's Erdogan slams nations recognizing Armenian genocide Updated: Apr-25-15 9:34 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey's president has lashed out at country leaders who have recognized the killings of Armenians by Ottoman Turks as genocide on the centenary of the massacres.
- Massachusetts political figures recall Armenian massacre Updated: Apr-24-15 7:40 pm
BOSTON - Top officials from both political parties in Massachusetts are calling on President Barack Obama to officially recognize the slaughter of more than a million Armenians by Ottoman Turks a hundred years ago as one of the first genocides of the 20th century.
- Huge Los Angeles march commemorates Armenian killings Updated: Apr-24-15 6:44 pm
LOS ANGELES - Tens of thousands of people marched in Los Angeles on Friday to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the killings of an estimated 1.5 million Armenians during the Ottoman Empire, and to press for recognition by Turkey and U.S. that it was genocide.
- Armenia marks centennial of killing of 1.5 million Updated: Apr-24-15 4:44 pm
YEREVAN, Armenia - The presidents of Russia and France joined other leaders Friday at ceremonies commemorating the massacre of Armenians a century ago by Ottoman Turks, an event which still stirs bitter feelings as both sides argue over whether to call it genocide.
- Chicago Armenians mark centennial of genocide of 1.5M Updated: Apr-24-15 4:23 pm
CHICAGO - Chicagoans of Armenian descent and others have rallied to commemorate the deaths 100 years ago of an estimated 1.5 million Armenians by Ottoman Turks and to call for U.S. recognition that it was genocide.
- New York march commemorates century-old Armenian killings Updated: Apr-24-15 2:31 pm
NEW YORK - About 250 people were marching in New York on Friday to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the killings of an estimated 1.5 million Armenians under the Ottoman Empire.
- Erdogan: Turkey's ancestors never committed genocide Updated: Apr-23-15 9:13 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - On the eve of the day marking the centenary of the Ottoman massacres of Armenians, Turkey's president said Thursday his nation's ancestors never committed genocide.
- Obama avoids describing Armenian massacre as 'genocide' Updated: Apr-23-15 8:52 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is pledging solidarity with Armenians but isn't calling what happened to them 100 years ago "genocide."
- Armenian archbishop in Argentina proud of pope Updated: Apr-23-15 12:07 am
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - The head of the Armenian Apostolic Church in Argentina says he is proud, but definitely not surprised, that his friend Pope Francis recently called the 1915 mass killing of Armenians in Turkey "genocide."
- Turkey recalls ambassador to Austria over genocide remarks Updated: Apr-22-15 3:19 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey said Wednesday it is recalling its ambassador to Austria after parties represented in parliament signed a declaration recognizing the massacre of Armenians a century ago as genocide.
- Israel grapples with whether to recognize Armenian genocide Updated: Apr-22-15 8:16 am
JERUSALEM - The Nazi genocide of European Jews is widely commemorated in Israel and etched deeply into the psyche of a country founded in the Holocaust's aftermath. But when it comes to the 1915 Armenian genocide, Israel has largely stayed silent.
- Turkey sends condolences to descendants of killed Armenians Updated: Apr-20-15 4:43 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu on Monday extended condolences to the descendants of Armenians killed 100 years ago by Ottoman Turks, saying Turkey shared their pain and also announced that a service would be held at the Armenian Patriarchate in Istanbul to commemorate the victims.
- German Parliament to label killings of Armenians as genocide Updated: Apr-20-15 8:46 am
BERLIN - Germany's Parliament is set to use the term genocide in a resolution marking the slaughter of Armenians by Ottoman Turks 100 years ago, and the government said Monday that it "stands behind" the motion drawn up by the ruling parties.
- St. Paul church pushes to recognize Armenian genocide Updated: Apr-18-15 3:56 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A St. Paul church is pushing to recognize the deaths of an estimated 1.5 million Armenians a century ago as the first genocide of the 20th century.
- Guatemalan ex-dictator's daughter announces presidential bid Updated: Apr-17-15 7:47 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - The daughter of Efrain Rios Montt, the former dictator facing charges of genocide for massacres committed during his 1982-83 regime, is running for president of Guatemala.
- Turkey lashes out at pope, EU over Armenia genocide comments Updated: Apr-15-15 4:25 pm
ISTANBUL - Turkey was on the defensive Wednesday, lashing out at both Pope Francis and the European Union's legislature for their descriptions of the Ottoman-era killing of Armenians as genocide.
- Los Angeles prayer service commemorates Armenian killings Updated: Apr-15-15 1:46 am
LOS ANGELES - More than 3,000 people were in attendance at a multi-denominational prayer service in Los Angeles hosted by the archdiocese to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the killings of an estimated 1.5 million Armenians under the Ottoman Empire.
- Erdogan 'condemns' pope over Armenian genocide comment Updated: Apr-14-15 10:53 am
- UN chief: 1915 slaughters of Armenians are 'atrocity crimes' Updated: Apr-13-15 6:37 pm
- EU urges Turkey, Armenia to normalize ties amid massacre row Updated: Apr-13-15 9:25 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union is urging Turkey and Armenia to normalize ties after remarks by Pope Francis fueled their long-running row over the slaughter of Armenians by Ottoman Turks 100 years ago.
- Turkey recalls ambassador over pope's Armenia genocide words Updated: Apr-12-15 4:22 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis on Sunday marked the 100th anniversary of the slaughter of Armenians by calling the massacre by Ottoman Turks "the first genocide of the 20th century" and urging the international community to recognize it as such. Turkey immediately responded by recalling its ambassador and accusing Francis of spreading hatred and "unfounded claims."
- Spain: Judge wants 7 Moroccan officials tried for genocide Updated: Apr-10-15 8:52 am
MADRID - A Spanish judge has decided genocide charges for seven current and former Moroccan officials accused of killings and torture in Western Sahara from 1975-1991 are justified and asked for them to be arrested and extradited to face trial in Spain.