- Year-old Thai coup imposes superficial calm but little else Updated: May-23-15 10:17 pm
BANGKOK - Shortly after seizing power in a coup that followed months of debilitating street protests, Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha vowed to end Thailand's decade of political upheaval once and for all. In his words, "to bring everything out in the open and fix it."
- Cairo subway thrives beneath the chaos Updated: May-14-15 9:17 am
CAIRO - Far below the gridlocked streets of Egypt's capital, a virtual second city thrives.
- Ex-coup leader wants to run in Guinea presidential election Updated: May-11-15 12:50 pm
OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso - A former coup leader who was forced into exile says he wants to run for president in Guinea's upcoming elections.
- Turkey plans low-key funeral for former coup leader Evren Updated: May-11-15 11:37 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Kenan Evren, the leader of Turkey's 1980 military coup and former president who died aged 97, will be given a state funeral but no government official will attend the burial of the man remembered mostly for widespread arrests, torture and deaths during his rule, Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus said Monday.
- Turkish coup leader, former president, Evren dies at 97 Updated: May-10-15 12:41 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Kenan Evren, the general who led Turkey's 1980 military coup that ended years of street-clashes between rival left- and right-wing militias and but also unleashed a wave of arrests, torture and extrajudicial killings died on Saturday. He was 97.
- Former Turkish president, coup leader, Evren dies at 97 Updated: May-09-15 6:11 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Kenan Evren, the Turkish general who led a 1980 coup that ended years of violence but whose rule unleashed a wave of arrests, torture and extrajudicial killings, died on Saturday. He was 97.
- Venezuelan military officers sentenced for plotting coup Updated: May-06-15 6:09 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - A group of Venezuelan military officers the government accused of plotting to blow up the presidential palace have been sent to prison, officials said Wednesday.