- Top EU court rules data sharing pact with US invalid Updated: Oct-06-15 7:20 am
LUXEMBOURG - The European Union's highest court struck a big blow Tuesday against Facebook and other companies by ruling that a long-running pact allowing the free transfer of data to the U.S. is invalid as it does not adequately protect consumers.
- Appeals court hears arguments against LG Electronics tower Updated: Oct-06-15 6:47 am
ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, New Jersey - Plaintiffs who say they were excluded from settlement talks on an electronics company's plans for a corporate tower in northern New Jersey are arguing against the project in a state appeals court.
- Neighbors turn up the heat on Indonesia over forest fires Updated: Oct-06-15 5:13 am
SINGAPORE - For weeks now, the quality of life in parts of Southeast Asia has been left to sheer chance - the direction of the wind. Every day, it alone determines which city will be shrouded by peaty white smoke blowing from burning forests in Indonesia.
- Lawsuit claims probation company extorts money from indigent Updated: Oct-06-15 4:01 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A federal judge has issued a restraining order preventing two Rutherford County men from being arrested because they cannot pay court fines.
- The latest on mine explosion trial: Day 3 wraps; no jury yet Updated: Oct-05-15 6:07 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The latest developments in the federal trial of former Massey Energy CEO Don Blankenship. All times are local:
- Lawsuit claims Kathleen Kane retaliated against top lawyer Updated: Oct-05-15 6:07 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A former top lawyer in Attorney General Kathleen Kane's office sued her on Monday, saying she fired him in retaliation for grand jury testimony that helped Montgomery County prosecutors bring perjury charges against her.
- Comanche Nation committee suspends tribe administrator Updated: Oct-05-15 5:27 pm
LAWTON, Oklahoma - The Comanche Nation Business Committee has suspended the tribe's administrator over accusations of negligence in his duties.
- Court says fired UBS worker had right to free speech Updated: Oct-05-15 3:27 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A former worker at a subsidiary of the Swiss banking giant UBS AG won a legal fight over free speech rights Monday after claiming he was illegally fired in 2008 for repeatedly warning that properties held in the company's investment funds were overvalued by millions of dollars.
- VW tells lawmakers 8M cars in Europe hit by emissions probe Updated: Oct-05-15 3:22 pm
BERLIN - Volkswagen says 8 million cars in the European Union are affected by an investigation into whether the automaker manipulated emissions tests, according to a letter received Monday by German lawmakers.
- Polson company drops disabled Marine from lawsuit Updated: Oct-05-15 2:49 pm
POLSON, Montana - A judge has dismissed a disabled Marine as a defendant in a lawsuit involving the former soldier's Polson home.
- Jury awards $28M in patent suit against Hyundai, Kia Updated: Oct-05-15 12:43 pm
BALTIMORE - A Baltimore-based hybrid engine technology company has won $28.9 million in damages in a patent infringement suit against Hyundai Motor Co. and Kia Motors Corp.
- Kansas family plans to appeal judge's ruling in girl's death Updated: Oct-03-15 3:51 pm
SALINA, Kansas - A Salina family whose 12-year-old daughter died several months after being shocked while playing in a rainstorm plans to appeal a district judge's ruling dismissing their lawsuit against the city.
- Judge to decide soon in chemical spill company bankruptcy Updated: Oct-03-15 3:08 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - A federal bankruptcy judge says he'll make a final decision soon in a bankruptcy case involving a company involved in a 2014 chemical spill in West Virginia.
- Santa Fe cigarette maker subject of class-action lawsuit Updated: Oct-03-15 1:08 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The Santa Fe company behind American Spirit cigarettes is being targeted in a class-action lawsuit.
- Nursing home company fires 2nd executive, 3rd resigns Updated: Oct-02-15 4:35 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A company that operates dozens of nursing homes across Indiana that fired its top executive last month after federal agents searched his home and company headquarters has fired another top officer and a third has resigned.
- Man pleads guilty to corporate espionage; awaits sentencing Updated: Oct-02-15 4:23 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - A Chinese-American researcher has pleaded guilty to stealing trade secrets from his U.S. employers, but his attorneys are hoping to limit the time he serves in prison.
- Man pleads guilty to corporate espionage, awaits sentencing Updated: Oct-02-15 3:22 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - A researcher has pleaded guilty to charges that he stole trade secrets from his government and civilian employers, but his attorneys are hoping to limit the time he serves in prison.
- Lawsuit: Pork roll company fired employee for passing gas Updated: Oct-02-15 2:36 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - One of New Jersey's top pork roll makers is being sued by the wife of an employee who she says was fired for passing too much gas in the office.
- Court upholds $236M verdict in Exxon Mobil pollution case Updated: Oct-02-15 11:59 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - New Hampshire's highest court upheld a record $236 million judgment Friday against Exxon Mobil for its use of a gasoline additive that contaminated groundwater in the state.
- Bozeman hospital files lawsuit against CEO search firm Updated: Oct-02-15 5:07 am
BOZEMAN, Montana - The Bozeman Health Board of Trustees has filed a lawsuit against the search firm they used to find the hospital's former president and CEO, saying the search company failed to find felony theft convictions on his record.
- Lawsuit: Restaurant company pocketed employee's tips Updated: Oct-02-15 3:45 am
SADDLE BROOK, New Jersey - Officials have filed a lawsuit against a New Jersey-based restaurant company for allegedly pocketing more than $40,000 in tips from employees.
- Macomb executive speaks out against inmate death lawsuit Updated: Oct-01-15 11:27 pm
MOUNT CLEMENS, Michigan - Macomb County has no interest in settling a lawsuit brought by the family of a man who died in its jail, according to the county executive.
- 2 dealers, 2 friends indicted in Vegas casino cheating case Updated: Oct-01-15 8:27 pm
LAS VEGAS - Two former casino dealers and two friends are accused of siphoning more than $1 million off craps tables over two years, using phantom bets at a posh Las Vegas Strip resort.
- Developer: We're addressing issues in fair-housing lawsuit Updated: Oct-01-15 4:38 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The president of an Alabama-based development company said Thursday that the firm is committed to addressing issues outlined in a federal housing discrimination suit.
- Dismissal of defendants in wrongful death lawsuit upheld Updated: Oct-01-15 3:25 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - A divided federal appeals panel upheld on Thursday the dismissal of three companies from a wrongful death lawsuit filed over a Maryland couple and their children who were killed in a fiery crash on Interstate 80 in western Nebraska.