- Romania: media owner questioned over massive tax evasion Updated: Apr-27-16 8:33 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Prosecutors in Romania say they have questioned a media owner on suspicion of tax evasion worth 8 million ($9 million).
- Corruption charges filed against former Dinamo Zagreb head Updated: Apr-26-16 7:18 am
ZAGREB, Croatia - Croatia's anti-graft authorities have filed charges against former Dinamo Zagreb president Zdravko Mamic for tax evasion, corruption and bribery.
- New York state blocks $400M in false tax refunds Updated: Apr-21-16 3:46 pm
ALBANY, New York - Tax officials in New York state say they have stopped nearly 240,000 false tax refunds worth $400 million this tax season.
- Nigeria native sentenced in tax fraud case Updated: Apr-21-16 3:20 pm
ST. LOUIS - A Nigeria native living in St. Louis has been sentenced to more than three years in prison and ordered to repay $753,063 to the IRS for his role in a stolen identity tax fraud scheme.
- Ex-consultant to Allentown mayor pleads in corruption probe Updated: Apr-21-16 12:22 pm
PHILADELPHIA - A former northeast Pennsylvania campaign manager surfaced in federal court Thursday, a year after he abruptly shuttered his firm and left home, to plead guilty in an ongoing FBI corruption probe of Reading and Allentown.
- Woman gets 4 years in prison for defrauding disabled man Updated: Apr-20-16 2:48 pm
ST. LOUIS - A suburban St. Louis woman has been sentenced to more than four years in prison and ordered to pay $3.5 million in restitution for defrauding a disabled man, and lying on tax returns.
- Former US Rep. Mel Reynolds taken into custody in Chicago Updated: Apr-20-16 1:30 pm
CHICAGO - A federal judge in Chicago ordered former U.S. Rep. Mel Reynolds taken into custody at a hearing on Wednesday after finding Reynolds' proposed place of residence while on bail in a tax case to be unacceptable.
- China extending anti-graft measures to officials' families Updated: Apr-18-16 11:56 pm
BEIJING - Seeking to further reduce opportunities for corruption, China will include additional cities and regions in a pilot program begun in the financial hub of Shanghai that restricts the business dealings of officials' spouses and children, the government said Tuesday.
- Ohio man charged with failing to pay $600K in federal taxes Updated: Apr-18-16 4:11 pm
CLEVELAND - A northeastern Ohio businessman has been charged in federal court with bankrolling a luxurious lifestyle by failing to pay more than $600,000 in federal income taxes over a four-year period.
- Woman accused of filing fraudulent returns to steal refunds Updated: Apr-18-16 2:08 pm
ALAMOGORDO, New Mexico - An Alamogordo woman is accused of fraudulently filing income tax returns for other people to steal their refunds.
- Business owners sentenced for filing fraudulent tax returns Updated: Apr-16-16 12:04 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The owners of a tax preparation business that filed fraudulent returns on behalf of inmates at various New Jersey prisons have received jail terms.
- Massachusetts man pleads guilty in tax refund fraud scheme Updated: Apr-15-16 4:34 pm
BOSTON - A Massachusetts man has pleaded guilty to conspiracy and fraud charges in a tax refund fraud scheme.
- Denver area pot raid suspects face tax, drug charges Updated: Apr-15-16 2:47 pm
DENVER - Some of the more than 40 people arrested during raids on suspected illegal marijuana grows in the Denver area face charges including racketeering, money laundering and tax evasion as well as drug counts.
- Company of Russian owner of Brooklyn Nets searched in Moscow Updated: Apr-15-16 2:42 pm
MOSCOW - Russia's main domestic security agency has searched the offices of a company controlled by the billionaire owner of U.S. basketball team Brooklyn Nets, Mikhail Prokhorov.
- Spain: Princess Cristina's tax fraud accuser is arrested Updated: Apr-15-16 11:54 am
MADRID - Spanish police on Friday arrested the leader of an anti-corruption group that brought criminal tax fraud charges against Princess Cristina amid allegations the group had asked for a big payoff to drop the case.
- European states urge G-20 to share data on offshore accounts Updated: Apr-15-16 5:43 am
MADRID - The European Union's five biggest economies, including Germany and Britain, have agreed to share information on company ownership and are urging other nations to do the same to make it harder for criminals and tax cheats to avoid the law.
- Espanola tax preparer accused of tax evasion and fraud Updated: Apr-14-16 1:50 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - An Espanola tax preparer faces felony charges accusing her of filing false tax returns and failing to pay taxes.
- 900 police officers raid Berlin brothel Updated: Apr-14-16 8:42 am
BERLIN - Berlin police say some 900 officers have raided one of the German capital's biggest brothels and arrested six people following a months-long investigation into human trafficking, tax fraud and withholding of social security contributions.
- Woman gets prison term for role in false tax refund scheme Updated: Apr-13-16 4:11 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A New Jersey woman who conspired to obtain more than $1 million through fraudulent tax refund checks has been sentenced to nearly two years in prison.
- Restaurant owner pleads guilty to filing false tax returns Updated: Apr-13-16 10:55 am
SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts - The owner of a western Massachusetts restaurant has pleaded guilty to tax evasion charges.
- Doctor moves to withdraw guilty pleas in tax evasion case Updated: Apr-12-16 3:59 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - A doctor who admitted making millions of dollars' worth of cash deposits and fraudulently transferring his residence to a family member in a bid to evade taxes now wants to withdraw his guilty pleas.
- Smoke shop owner faces tax evasion charges Updated: Apr-12-16 12:35 pm
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico - The owner of a smoke shop in Sunland Park has been charged with felony tax evasion for allegedly failing to pay more than $100,000 in taxes.
- Spain court releases 2 China bank executives with conditions Updated: Apr-12-16 9:53 am
MADRID - A Spanish court has ordered the conditional release of two executives of China's state-owned ICBC bank in Madrid that were among six arrested in February in a money laundering and tax fraud probe.
- Federal officials warn of tax preparation schemes Updated: Apr-11-16 5:04 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - An Internal Revenue Service investigator and federal prosecutor are warning the public against fraud that occurs around income tax time.
- The Latest: Ex-prisons chief co-defendant to withdraw plea Updated: Apr-11-16 12:07 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Latest on a court hearing about a prison contract bribery (all times local):