- Special election in New York City for Grimm, Assembly seats Updated: May-04-15 4:13 pm
NEW YORK - Voters in Staten Island and certain sections of Brooklyn are getting another chance to make their political preferences known as a special election is held Tuesday to fill a vacancy in the state Assembly and another in Congress after a Republican's tax evasion conviction.
- Uncle Sam may have picked the wrong cash cow Updated: May-02-15 3:01 pm
MIDDLETOWN, Maryland - Randy Sowers always expected the government to show up one day and ask where all the cash he was depositing at his bank came from. He thought he had the right answer: from his business selling eggs and milk at farmers markets.
- Police chief at busiest US port indicted in alleged app scam Updated: May-01-15 1:41 pm
LOS ANGELES - A federal grand jury indicted the veteran police chief for the Port of Los Angeles in an alleged kickback and bribery scheme involving the development of a smartphone app that was supposed to help reduce crime at the nation's busiest seaport.
- LA port police chief indicted on corruption charge Updated: Apr-30-15 11:03 pm
LOS ANGELES - A federal grand jury on Thursday indicted the police chief for the Port of Los Angeles in an alleged kickback and bribery scheme involving the development of a smartphone app that was supposed to help reduce port crime.
- St. Clair County rare-car mechanic convicted of tax crimes Updated: Apr-30-15 9:41 am
SMITHS CREEK, Michigan - A mechanic who specializes in rare cars has been convicted of tax crimes after a jury looked under the hood of his finances.
- Convicted tax preparer won't quit, judge gives him 9 months Updated: Apr-29-15 12:34 pm
PITTSBURGH - An income tax preparer convicted of filing dozens of fraudulent income tax returns just wouldn't quit preparing returns, so a federal judge in Pittsburgh says he must now spend nine months in prison.
- Flowood restaurant owner pleads guilty to tax evasion Updated: Apr-29-15 6:17 am
BRANDON, Mississippi - The owner of Flowood restaurant has pleaded guilty to two of eight counts of tax evasion in Rankin County Circuit Court.
- Auditor Troy Kelley says unpaid leave will start Monday Updated: Apr-28-15 8:59 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - Embattled state Auditor Troy Kelley, who was indicted by a federal grand jury on tax evasion and other charges earlier this month, said Tuesday he will start his leave of absence next week and will not accept pay or benefits, something Gov. Jay Inslee had already insisted on.
- Doctor could face jail time for $6.4 million in tax evasion Updated: Apr-27-15 3:22 am
WELLINGTON, Florida - A south Florida doctor who failed to pay nearly $6.4 million in taxes could face up to three years behind bars.
- Guard sentenced in Chicago for stealing inmates' identities Updated: Apr-24-15 4:06 am
CHICAGO - A federal judge in Chicago has sentenced a former prison guard to three years behind bars for stealing inmates' identities, then using them to seek refunds from the Internal Revenue Service.
- FBI captures disbarred lawyer long wanted for fraud charges Updated: Apr-23-15 6:44 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - A disbarred Iowa lawyer's long run from the law is over.
- Prosecutors: Tax preparer filed numerous false tax returns Updated: Apr-21-15 12:32 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Federal prosecutors say a tax preparer helped in the filing of two dozen false tax returns.
- California priest charged with federal fraud, tax evasion Updated: Apr-20-15 11:02 pm
SAN JOSE, California - A Northern California Catholic priest has been charged with federal fraud and tax evasion for allegedly diverting thousands of dollars in donations from parishioners into his personal bank account during a three-year period.
- Texas House OKs changing who investigates public corruption Updated: Apr-20-15 7:25 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas lawmakers are closer to gutting the anti-public corruption unit that was at the center of former Gov. Rick Perry's indictment last year.
- Nashville-area tax day raids yield more than $1M in cash Updated: Apr-20-15 5:42 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Federal authorities have arrested four people, accusing them of being involved in an income tax fraud ring after agents raided several Nashville-area tax preparation businesses.
- Maine man sentenced for under-the-table dealing of lobsters Updated: Apr-17-15 11:55 am
PORTLAND, Maine - A federal judge has sentenced a Maine man to eight months and ordered him to pay more than $65,000 in restitution for evading income tax and for illegal sales of lobsters.
- State official: Anthem customers note fraudulent tax returns Updated: Apr-17-15 8:29 am
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - The state attorney general's office says Anthem Inc. customers are increasingly reporting fraudulent tax returns being filed using their names and other personal information.
- NY tax preparer admits helping prepare false tax returns Updated: Apr-17-15 3:06 am
ALBANY, New York - Federal authorities say a tax preparer in Queens has admitted helping prepare false individual tax returns from 2007 to 2011.
- Nina Ricci heir convicted of tax fraud after HSBC leaks Updated: Apr-13-15 3:39 pm
PARIS - A 73-year-old heiress of the fashion and perfume house Nina Ricci was convicted of tax fraud Monday and sentenced to a year in prison for hiding millions of euros in the Swiss accounts of the HSBC bank before getting caught in a massive leak of names.
- Ohio AG warns of scams as tax-filing deadline approaches Updated: Apr-12-15 9:54 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's attorney general is warning residents to beware of fraudsters pretending to be from the Internal Revenue Service as Wednesday's tax-filing deadline nears.
- Jackson woman sentenced in ID fraud scheme Updated: Apr-10-15 8:16 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - A Jackson woman has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for conspiring to defraud the United States by stealing personal information that was used to file false tax returns.
- Ex-Postal Service worker pleads guilty in tax refund scheme Updated: Apr-09-15 10:56 pm
HOUSTON - A former U.S. Postal Service carrier in Houston has been convicted in an eight-defendant conspiracy in which fraudulent tax returns were filed using stolen identification information.
- Tax return preparer accused of making 66 false claims Updated: Apr-09-15 4:27 pm
LSA VEGAS - A Las Vegas-area tax preparer is accused of making dozens of fraudulent claims on tax returns, totaling more than $870,000.
- France opens criminal probe of HSBC's Swiss banking unit Updated: Apr-09-15 12:14 pm
LONDON - French authorities have placed HSBC under formal criminal investigation over alleged tax fraud by its Swiss private bank. The bank said Thursday the claim was "without legal basis."
- Used car dealer arrested for tax fraud Updated: Apr-08-15 6:35 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A Metairie used car dealer faces felony charges for evading sales taxes on the purchases of a Ferrari and a classic Lincoln Continental.