- Spain: Court accepts princess' request to slash bail Updated: Jul-31-15 4:20 am
MADRID - A Spanish court has agreed to slash the 2.7 million-euro ($3 million) bail set for Princess Cristina while she awaits trial for tax fraud.
- Former Chippewa Cree leader sentenced to 5 ½ years in prison Updated: Jul-29-15 6:49 pm
HELENA, Montana - A judge sentenced a former Chippewa Cree tribal council member Wednesday to 5 ½ years in prison after he pleaded guilty to embezzlement, tax evasion and other charges in a federal corruption investigation.
- Judge sentences Bossier City tax preparer for fraud Updated: Jul-29-15 8:58 am
SHREVEPORT, Louisiana - A 55-year-old Bossier City woman has been sentenced to 21 months in prison for making and filing a false tax return.
- By nearly any measure, sunny South Florida is tops in fraud Updated: Jul-29-15 4:52 am
MIAMI - Psssst - Need a phony ID? A fraudulent tax refund? Insurance money from a sham car crash? Florida may have just what you're looking for.
- Man gets prison, must pay $1.8M for tax fraud in Houston Updated: Jul-27-15 3:28 pm
HOUSTON - A Houston businessman who for more than five years skipped paying employment taxes is going to prison and must repay more than $1.8 million
- Woman loses appeal of tax fraud conviction Updated: Jul-23-15 8:10 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - A federal appeals court has upheld the conviction of a Mississippi woman for her role in a scheme to pocket refunds from the filing of false income tax returns involving former or current state inmates in the Jackson area.
- Hampshire County company founder pleads guilty to tax charge Updated: Jul-22-15 7:38 am
MARTINSBURG, West Virginia - The founder of a Hampshire County company faces up to three years in prison after pleading guilty to a tax charge.
- Northern NY tax collector accused of falsifying her own bill Updated: Jul-20-15 12:34 pm
CANTON, New York - A tax collector in northern New York has been arrested on allegations she falsified her own tax records to avoid paying up.
- New Hampshire man sentenced for scam involving Iowa college Updated: Jul-18-15 2:19 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - A New Hampshire man has been sentenced to a year in prison after pleading guilty to a federal charge related to a scam involving Clarke University in eastern Iowa.
- Former Ga. pastor sentenced in tax fraud scheme Updated: Jul-18-15 9:05 am
SAVANNAH, Georgia - Federal prosecutors say a former coastal Georgia pastor has been sentenced to more than nine years in prison in a tax fraud scheme.
- Court upholds Douglas Bruce convictions for tax evasion Updated: Jul-17-15 6:13 pm
DENVER - The Colorado Court of Appeals upheld the convictions for tax evasion and other charges that sent anti-tax activist Douglas Bruce to jail for six months in 2012.
- Ex-NY Congressman Grimm gets 8 months of prison in tax case Updated: Jul-17-15 3:38 pm
NEW YORK - Michael Grimm, a former New York congressman and FBI agent who once investigated white-collar crime, was sentenced Friday to 8 months in prison for tax evasion by a judge who said his "moral compass" needed adjustment.
- McMechen contractor sentenced on fraud and tax charges Updated: Jul-15-15 6:10 am
WHEELING, West Virginia - A McMechen contractor has been sentenced for underreporting his employees' compensation and staging a vehicle accident.
- Greece pledges to get rid of tax evasion as a way of life Updated: Jul-14-15 8:43 pm
ATHENS, Greece - Dimitris Bokas keeps meticulous records of the bathroom fixtures he sells from his small shop in the quiet middle-class residential neighborhood of Koukaki near the center of Athens - just in case a tax inspector makes a surprise visit to ensure Greece's 23 percent sales tax is being collected and reported correctly.
- 2 plead guilty to tax return fraud Updated: Jul-14-15 4:53 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Two Meridian residents have pleaded guilty to charges of using stolen identities to file false federal income tax returns.
- Montgomery County man pleads guilty in tax fraud scheme Updated: Jul-13-15 6:08 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Federal prosecutors say a man has pleaded guilty in a tax fraud and identity theft scheme.
- US stiffens check-cashing rules to fight South Florida fraud Updated: Jul-13-15 1:22 pm
MIAMI - Federal authorities have issued tough new rules on check-cashing businesses in South Florida as part of the ongoing fight against rampant identity theft and tax fraud.
- Nogales man gets prison for fraudulent tax refund scheme Updated: Jul-11-15 6:19 am
TUCSON, Arizona - A Nogales man has been sentenced to more than six years in federal prison for a fraudulent tax refund scheme.
- Court agrees with light sentence for Beanie Babies creator Updated: Jul-10-15 10:43 pm
CHICAGO - A U.S. appeals court on Friday agreed with a sentence of probation for the billionaire creator of Beanie Babies stuffed toys, rejecting arguments by federal prosecutors that he deserved prison time for hiding millions of dollars in a Swiss bank account.
- Former gov't official arrested in Portuguese corruption case Updated: Jul-10-15 6:53 am
LISBON, Portugal - Another former senior member of Portugal's Socialist Party became the latest ex-government official to be arrested in a corruption investigation that has seen a former prime minister held in prison.
- FIFA expels Chuck Blazer for life for bribery, corruption Updated: Jul-09-15 1:08 pm
GENEVA - Chuck Blazer was banned for life by FIFA's ethics committee on Thursday for widespread corruption, finally ending the career of the longtime most senior American in world football.
- Gas station owner faces prison for Illinois sales tax fraud Updated: Jul-09-15 5:19 am
WAUKEGAN, Illinois - A northern Illinois gas station owner has been sentenced to 30 months in prison after pleading guilty to sales tax fraud.
- Ala. woman pleads guilty in tax fraud scheme Updated: Jul-08-15 4:44 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Federal prosecutors say a north Alabama woman has pleaded guilty in a more than $550,000 tax fraud scheme.
- Wichita attorney convicted of tax invasion totaling $1M Updated: Jul-08-15 3:14 am
WICHITA, Kansas - A Wichita attorney has been convicted of evading federal income taxes between 1998 and 2008 totaling more than $1 million.
- Woman's sentence in tax case upheld, but sentence overturned Updated: Jul-07-15 4:33 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A federal appeals court has upheld a New Mexico woman's conviction for tax evasion but overturned her sentence.