- NC judge to rule against teacher tenure state law Updated: Apr-23-14 6:50 pm
- Abbott: Pay teachers bonuses for high exam scores Updated: Apr-23-14 5:31 pm
- Medford schools saved $725,000 during strike Updated: Apr-22-14 9:34 pm
- Correction: URI Police-Guns story Updated: Apr-22-14 3:31 pm
- Pay increases, merit raises for Miss. teachers Updated: Apr-22-14 1:19 pm
- Roundup of Oklahoma editorials Updated: Apr-22-14 9:05 am
- Brownback signs Kansas school funding bill Updated: Apr-21-14 8:13 pm
- Gates-funded student data group to shut down Updated: Apr-21-14 6:22 pm
- Excerpts from recent Minnesota editorials Updated: Apr-21-14 5:09 pm
- NEA awards nearly $854K to Indiana arts groups Updated: Apr-21-14 4:10 am
- Classes canceled after Danville teachers strike Updated: Apr-19-14 5:11 pm
- Little-known Democrat tries to unseat Scott Walker Updated: Apr-18-14 4:05 pm
- Fired Wenatchee teacher wins back job, pay Updated: Apr-18-14 2:12 pm
- Wake has 41 percent hike in teacher resignations Updated: Apr-18-14 9:58 am
- 108th General Assembly adjourns for the year Updated: Apr-17-14 5:20 pm
- Excerpts from recent Wisconsin editorials Updated: Apr-17-14 10:55 am
- Proposed taxes crucial to Union Parish schools Updated: Apr-17-14 10:46 am
- Illinois-Chicago, faculty union reach agreement Updated: Apr-16-14 10:12 pm
- Recordings surface in New Mexico governor race Updated: Apr-16-14 8:06 pm
- McCrory says raises for all linked to revenues Updated: Apr-16-14 7:38 pm
- Democrats' ad attacks NC House speaker's payments Updated: Apr-16-14 1:16 pm
- Teach for America contract renewed Updated: Apr-16-14 7:17 am
- Missouri virtual education case talks underway Updated: Apr-15-14 11:31 am
- Teachers unionize at state's largest cyber charter Updated: Apr-15-14 11:19 am
- Educators, legislators cool to NC pay report Updated: Apr-14-14 7:07 pm
GREENSBORO, North Carolina - A Guilford County judge is backing two school districts fighting a North Carolina law that phases out job protections for public school teachers in favor of employment contracts.
HOUSTON - Republican Greg Abbott says that as Texas governor he would seek bonuses for high school teachers whose students perform well on college readiness exams.
MEDFORD, Oregon - The Medford School District says it saved $725,000 while teachers were on strike for 11 workdays in February.
SOUTH KINGSTOWN, Rhode Island - In a story April 20 about the University of Rhode Island's plan to arm campus police, The Associated Press, relying on information from a faculty union leader, reported erroneously on the date of a meeting of the executive committee of the URI chapter of the American Association of University Professors. The chapter's executive director, Frank Annunziato, said the committee met Tuesday, not Monday.
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi public schoolteachers can look forward to a $2,500 pay increase over the next two years on top of normal annual raises, with Gov. Phil Bryant signing a bill Tuesday that he says he hopes will aid performance.
Here are excerpts from recent editorials in Oklahoma newspapers:
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback signed a school funding bill Monday that increases aid for poor districts in order to satisfy a portion of a state Supreme Court ruling and also ends the state's mandate for teacher tenure.
BUFFALO, New York - The student data processing organization inBloom will shut down in the coming months, its chief executive officer said Monday following criticism that led to the recent loss of the startup's last active client - New York state.
Minneapolis Star Tribune, April 18
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - The National Endowment for the Arts has awarded nearly $854,000 to Indiana arts groups, with most of that money going to the Indiana Arts Commission.
DANVILLE, Pennsylvania - Parents, students and others say they're hoping for a resolution of the teacher strike that began this week in the Danville Area School District.
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Democrats and their allies who are trying to take out Republican Gov. Scott Walker have invested all their hopes in Mary Burke, a Harvard-educated political newcomer whose father started Trek Bicycle when she was a teenager.
WENATCHEE, Washington - A Wenatchee High School teacher who was fired after a student drowned in the school pool will return to work next term.
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Wake County school officials say the number of teacher resignations has increased 41 percent this year.
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - State lawmakers concluded a session Thursday in which they approved measures to allow folks to buy wine in grocery stores, fight methamphetamine production and give high school graduates free tuition at community colleges.
Wisconsin State Journal, April 16
FARMERVILLE, Louisiana - Union Parish Superintendent George Cannon calls May 3 the most significant day in 20 years for students in Union Parish.
CHICAGO - The head of the University of Illinois at Chicago's faculty union says a tentative contract agreement has been reached with the school administration.
SANTA FE, New Mexico - Democrats called Wednesday for Republican Gov. Susana Martinez to apologize after a liberal publication released recordings in which she and aides used profanity and offensive names to describe political opponents.
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Gov. Pat McCrory is still hopeful North Carolina government finances will work out so all public school teachers and state employees can get raises for the coming year and not just the early-career teachers.
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A political committee supporting Democratic control of the U.S. Senate began running a TV commercial in North Carolina on Wednesday seeking to remind viewers about personnel issues that embarrassed the office of Republican Thom Tillis, speaker of the state House.
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The Board of Elementary and Secondary Education has approved a $1 million contract for Teach for America.
COLUMBIA, Missouri - Teachers who sued when a Missouri virtual education program stopped operating only four months after it began are negotiating with the state and other authorities to settle the case, attorneys said.
MIDLAND, Pennsylvania - Teachers at the Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School, the largest of its kind in the state, have voted to unionize.
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Several educators and legislators on a General Assembly task force were cool Monday to their own panel's recommendations for overhauling public school teacher compensation, which included few specific actions and asked for another study.