- Common Core panel says limit time teaching to test Updated: Mar-10-14 8:10 pm
- Rochester teachers union sues over evaluations Updated: Mar-10-14 3:35 pm
- Montgomery County teachers ratify new contract Updated: Mar-09-14 11:49 am
- Atlanta aims to invest more in teachers Updated: Mar-09-14 9:37 am
- Top 5 issues for W.Va. legislative session Updated: Mar-09-14 1:17 am
- W.Va. wraps session shaped by chemical spill Updated: Mar-09-14 1:04 am
- W.Va. Legislature OKs $1,000 teacher pay raise Updated: Mar-08-14 11:41 pm
- Dispute erupts over school reform in Newark, NJ Updated: Mar-08-14 1:01 pm
- Governor to OK some public employee pay raises Updated: Mar-08-14 5:05 am
- Kansas high court: School funding unconstitutional Updated: Mar-07-14 6:34 pm
- Minnesota education panel OKs licensing measure Updated: Mar-07-14 6:12 pm
- Kansas teacher group wants boost in school aid now Updated: Mar-07-14 1:22 pm
- Inslee to keep pushing teacher-evaluation bill Updated: Mar-06-14 8:28 pm
- Georgia Senate backs $42B budget plan Updated: Mar-06-14 3:43 pm
- 18 teachers settle bias suit for $150K in W. Pa. Updated: Mar-06-14 10:28 am
- NC governor reviewing tenure-ending law Updated: Mar-05-14 10:37 pm
- NC higher education seeks employee pay raises, too Updated: Mar-05-14 6:16 pm
- Pension, gay marriage votes stir primary contests Updated: Mar-05-14 5:13 pm
- 1 version of teacher pay raise clears Miss. Senate Updated: Mar-05-14 4:37 pm
- Bentley won't sign budget without teacher raise Updated: Mar-05-14 2:32 pm
- W.Va. gov.: bigger teacher pay raise unrealistic Updated: Mar-05-14 12:09 pm
- House passes supplemental budget Updated: Mar-04-14 10:26 pm
- Teacher pay raise plan moves to Miss. Senate Updated: Mar-04-14 5:40 pm
- Portland School Board approves teachers' contract Updated: Mar-03-14 11:33 pm
- Change makes voucher expansion plan even bigger Updated: Mar-03-14 8:22 pm
ALBANY, New York - A panel created by Gov. Andrew Cuomo to look into New York's rollout of the Common Core curriculum recommended Monday banning standardized tests for the youngest students and capping the amount of instructional time that can be used for test prep.
ROCHESTER, New York - The Rochester teachers union is suing the state and school district over state-mandated performance reviews.
ROCKVILLE, Maryland - Teachers in Montgomery County have ratified a new contract that will provide raises totaling 5.5 percent over three years, but it also requires educators to pay more for health insurance.
ATLANTA - Atlanta's new school board is betting that an investment in teachers will pay off more than attempts to reduce class sizes.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - West Virginia concluded its 60-day legislative session Saturday. Here is a look at some highlights from the two months of lawmaking.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Leading up to a midnight deadline, West Virginia lawmakers scrambled Saturday to give teachers raises, hike the minimum wage and impose a controversial abortion ban.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The West Virginia Legislature has voted to grant teachers a $1,000 across-the-board pay increase and 2 percent raises for service personnel.
NEWARK, New Jersey - More than three years after Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg committed $100 million toward remaking Newark's struggling schools, the district is engulfed in a dispute over proposed large-scale teacher layoffs that's threatening to derail wider reform efforts.
SANTA FE, New Mexico - Gov. Susana Martinez will approve proposed 3 percent pay raises for state workers and public school employees.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas must spend more money on its public schools, the state Supreme Court ruled Friday in a decision that could jeopardize Republican Gov. Sam Brownback's desire to make his state a tax-cutting template for the nation.
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota lawmakers moved Friday to help former and current military members and their spouses win temporary licenses to work in classrooms, social work offices and other specialized fields.
TOPEKA, Kansas - The largest teachers union in Kansas says legislators shouldn't wait on more court rulings to increase total state spending on public schools.
OLYMPIA, Washington - Gov. Jay Inslee said Thursday he hopes lawmakers can come to an agreement on the state's teacher-evaluation system before the Legislature adjourns next week.
ATLANTA - Georgia would spend $42 billion on state government under a plan approved Thursday by the state Senate that would raise pay for teachers and other employees, better fund regulatory services and proposes $10 million to fund startup businesses.
WINDBER, Pennsylvania - Eighteen current and former female teachers have settled their federal gender pay bias lawsuit against a western Pennsylvania school district for $150,000.
CHAPEL HILL, North Carolina - Gov. Pat McCrory says he's looking at whether he'd like changes to a law phasing out job protections of North Carolina school teachers while giving raises to the highest-rated instructors who enter multiyear contracts.
CHAPEL HILL, North Carolina - The heads of North Carolina's higher education systems have a message for Gov. Pat McCrory and legislative leaders - don't forget about us on when it comes to raising faculty pay.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Four months ago, state Rep. Christian Mitchell made a tough vote in favor of Illinois' landmark state pension overhaul. Now he's facing the repercussions.
JACKSON, Mississippi - Teacher pay raise proposals gained momentum Wednesday at the Mississippi Capitol.
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Gov. Robert Bentley says he won't sign the education budget unless it includes a 2 percent pay raise for teachers and public education employees.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Given the tough budget forecast, Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin thinks a proposal to give teachers $6,000 in raises over three years is unrealistic.
OLYMPIA, Washington - The House approved a supplemental budget Tuesday that would restore cost-of-living increases for teachers and put additional money into the state's public education system.
JACKSON, Mississippi - The head of an educators' union is praising Mississippi lawmakers for moving forward with a teacher pay raise proposal, but he's asking them to do more.
PORTLAND, Oregon - The Portland School Board has approved a new contract with the city's teachers after 10 months of negotiations that brought Oregon's largest school district close to a strike.
PHOENIX - The sponsor of a bill that would vastly expand the state's school voucher program introduced an amendment Monday that would make it even bigger by allowing students from most Arizona schools to enroll.