- Head of Google in Europe grilled by UK lawmakers Updated: Feb-11-16 11:17 am
LONDON - A British parliamentary committee has grilled Google's president of European operations, questioning in blunt terms whether the Internet giant had paid its fair share of taxes.
- N. Korea orders military takeover of inter-Korean factories Updated: Feb-11-16 11:03 am
PAJU, South Korea - North Korea on Thursday ordered a military takeover of a factory park that had been the last major symbol of cooperation with South Korea, calling Seoul's earlier suspension of operations at the jointly run facility as punishment for the North's recent rocket launch a "dangerous declaration of war."
- The Latest: UN rights chief says 'grotesque' scene in Aleppo Updated: Feb-11-16 10:39 am
BEIRUT - The Latest developments on the war in Syria, the refugee crisis and security talks in Munich, Germany. (all times local):
- Congress likely to give final OK to local Internet tax ban Updated: Feb-11-16 10:21 am
WASHINGTON - State and local governments would be permanently barred from taxing access to the Internet under a bipartisan compromise the Senate began pushing toward final congressional approval.
- Russian deputy prime minister barred from Montenegro Updated: Feb-11-16 8:14 am
PODGORICA, Montenegro - Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin has been barred from entering Montenegro, which is facing strong pressure from the Kremlin for its plans to join NATO, the country's foreign ministry said Thursday.
- New center-right government in Latvia after resignation Updated: Feb-11-16 7:58 am
TALLINN, Estonia - Latvian lawmakers have approved the formation of a new center-right government following the resignation of the prime minister in December after disagreements over policy in the previous Cabinet.
- Federal judges to hear arguments in flood diversion case Updated: Feb-11-16 6:05 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Three federal appeals judges will hear arguments Thursday on whether construction of a levee related to a planned Red River diversion project should proceed.
- Federal budget includes $75M for Tempe Streetcar Project Updated: Feb-11-16 5:01 am
TEMPE, Arizona - U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx says the government's fiscal year 2017 budget includes $75 million for construction of the Tempe Streetcar Project.
- Chicago transit overhaul gets $156M in new federal funds Updated: Feb-11-16 4:50 am
CHICAGO - The federal government is steering $156 million in new funding to help Chicago modernize congested and aging sections of its busiest commuter rail corridor.
- Federal judge holds hearing in Charleston church shooting Updated: Feb-11-16 4:11 am
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - A hearing is being held to discuss the federal trial of a white man charged in the shooting deaths of nine black parishioners at a Charleston church.
- All-male panel in Utah votes to keep sales tax on tampons Updated: Feb-10-16 9:44 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah committee of all-male lawmakers has voted to keep the sales tax on tampons and other feminine hygiene products despite an international push to remove it.
- New Nebraska Medicaid bill reopens old divide in hearing Updated: Feb-10-16 8:58 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The newest attempt to expand health care coverage with Medicaid dollars reopened an old divide Wednesday before a Nebraska legislative committee.
- Senate resets vote repealing technical education cuts Updated: Feb-10-16 8:55 pm
PHOENIX - The Arizona Senate on Wednesday abruptly called off a vote on legislation aimed at restoring cuts made to high school career and technical education programs last year after Gov. Doug Ducey called for urgent consultations, then rescheduled it for Thursday after Legislative leaders met with the governor.
- Lawsuit of man who questioned police shootings dismissed Updated: Feb-10-16 8:54 pm
CHICAGO - A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed by a former investigator for Chicago's Independent Police Review Authority, which investigates police shootings.
- Insurers back proposed California health plan tax Updated: Feb-10-16 8:34 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Most of California's health insurance companies said Wednesday they're supporting Gov. Jerry Brown's plan to restructure a tax on health plans.
- Court's stay on EPA rules gives governor temporary reprieve Updated: Feb-10-16 8:25 pm
HELENA, Montana - The U.S. Supreme Court's decision to temporarily freeze the Obama administration's Clean Power Plan gives Montana Gov. Steve Bullock breathing room in his campaign for a second term.
- Judge: new order against enforcing Louisiana abortion law Updated: Feb-10-16 7:34 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A federal judge in Louisiana has issued a new order blocking the state from enforcing a law that he says would keep most women from getting abortions.
- White House: Scrap drilling revenue sharing with Gulf states Updated: Feb-10-16 7:33 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Louisiana's U.S. senators and environmental groups are blasting the White House for proposing to help Alaska deal with rising seas by taking money away from similar efforts along the Gulf Coast.
- Biden seeks input for cancer 'moonshot' at Duke University Updated: Feb-10-16 7:25 pm
DURHAM, North Carolina - With an ambitious funding request pending before Congress, Vice President Joe Biden sought Wednesday to fill out the White House's cancer "moonshot" with input from doctors and researchers at a hub for medical innovation.
- Salvador high court orders civil prosecution of ex-president Updated: Feb-10-16 6:41 pm
SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador - El Salvador's Supreme Court ordered a lower tribunal to open a civil prosecution Wednesday against former President Mauricio Funes for possible illicit enrichment.
- Appeals court tosses order blocking Mississippi executions Updated: Feb-10-16 6:37 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - An appeals court Wednesday upheld Mississippi's method of lethal injection, rejecting arguments from death row inmates who opposed the state's plan to use drugs not specifically approved by state law.
- Texas attorney general faces ethics probe over gay marriage Updated: Feb-10-16 6:26 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Already indicted on felony securities fraud charges, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton will face an ethics investigation for advising local officials they could refuse to issue same-sex marriage licenses on religious grounds.
- House Committee hears testimony on Pastor Protection Act Updated: Feb-10-16 6:09 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - An Ohio House committee has heard from some of those who favor of a bill that would allow churches in Ohio to deny performing same-sex marriages.
- Man waves gun behind TV reporter during live broadcast Updated: Feb-10-16 6:01 pm
NEW YORK - Police say they're investigating after a man appeared to wave a handgun behind a television news reporter during a live broadcast in New York City.
- More waiting on congressional maps with Roberts' request Updated: Feb-10-16 5:45 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina voters and legislators will be kept guessing for at least several more days on whether the state's current congressional districts can be used in the March 15 primary or have to be redrawn before votes are cast.