- Fargo attorneys say ruling on drug dogs shows flaws in law Updated: Nov-26-15 3:22 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - Defense attorneys in Fargo who have argued that unwarranted searches with drug-sniffing dogs are unconstitutional and unfair to lower-income people say this week's ruling from the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals backs their premise.
- Man sentenced for pimping teens as part of business plan Updated: Nov-26-15 12:56 pm
MILWAUKEE - A 38-year-old man told a federal judge that he had dreams and a formal business plan when he got out of state prison - and he only started sex trafficking his girlfriend and three 17-year-old girls so he could raise money for his business ventures.
- Where's death penalty in push for criminal justice overhaul? Updated: Nov-26-15 12:50 pm
WASHINGTON - Even as President Barack Obama tries to make a hard case for overhauling sentences, rehabilitating prisoners and confronting racial bias in policing, he has been less clear about the death penalty.
- Is Portugal about to go down the same road as Greece? Updated: Nov-26-15 11:43 am
LISBON, Portugal - An anti-austerity alliance including radical leftist parties takes power. A shaky economy and huge debts menace the national economy. The rest of Europe watches with a wary eye.
- Sony employees' hacking suit settlement gets preliminary OK Updated: Nov-25-15 8:09 pm
LOS ANGELES - A federal judge has given preliminary approval to a settlement of up to $8 million between Sony Pictures Entertainment and current and former employees related to the hack of the company's computers last year.
- Brazil police arrest government Senate leader Updated: Nov-25-15 6:57 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian police on Wednesday arrested the government's leader in the Senate for allegedly obstructing the investigation into a corruption scandal at state-owned oil company Petrobras.
- Argentina's president-elect announces diverse Cabinet Updated: Nov-25-15 6:21 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - President-elect Mauricio Macri named a new Cabinet on Wednesday that includes members from diverse Argentine political movements, business executives and a minister with the outgoing government.
- Alabama attorney in landmark libel case dies at age 91 Updated: Nov-25-15 6:15 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - An Alabama attorney who was involved in a landmark U.S. Supreme Court libel case died Tuesday night in Montgomery.
- How to make sure your green home upgrades pay off Updated: Nov-25-15 4:34 pm
Investing in making your home more energy efficient can help the environment, lower your utility bills and possibly help you fetch a higher sale price.
- UK backs off cuts to tax breaks for lower income households Updated: Nov-25-15 3:32 pm
LONDON - Britain's Treasury chief abandoned controversial cuts in tax credits for the working poor and kept police funding intact on Wednesday as he updated Parliament on the government's budget plans.
- County judge: No Nativity or other displays at courthouse Updated: Nov-25-15 3:06 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - No Nativity scene or any secular holiday displays can take root on the courthouse lawn this year, Baxter County Judge Mickey Pendergrass said Wednesday.
- Federal judge could decide damages in Cudahy fire next year Updated: Nov-25-15 2:17 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - A federal judge in Milwaukee could decide early next year how much the government owes companies who insured a suburban Milwaukee meatpacking plant that caught fire more than six years ago.
- Judge: GOP, Constitution Party exempt from open primary rule Updated: Nov-25-15 1:21 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A federal judge has ruled two Utah political parties that challenged a new state election law are exempt from a requirement that they allow unaffiliated voters in their primary elections.
- Germany gives Greece 10,000 records on possible tax cheats Updated: Nov-25-15 1:12 pm
BERLIN - Germany has shared some 10,000 records on possible Greek tax cheats with Athens.
- Dutch soccer club president quits after player deals leaked Updated: Nov-25-15 12:34 pm
ENSCHEDE, Netherlands - The president of Dutch soccer club FC Twente has resigned after leaked documents revealed a deal with outside investors for the transfer of players.
- Another $48M taken from roadwork, steered to plug deficit Updated: Nov-25-15 10:25 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Despite criticism, Gov. Bobby Jindal has taken $48 million that would have been used on roads and bridges and used it instead to plug this year's budget deficit.
- Former coach sentenced for meth-in-tennis-balls conspiracy Updated: Nov-25-15 9:51 am
GULFPORT, Mississippi - A federal judge has sentenced a 36-year-old man to serve more than 23 years in prison for his involvement in large-scale drug conspiracy.
- Federal judge grants trial delay in BP oil spill fraud case Updated: Nov-25-15 9:47 am
GULFPORT, Mississippi - A federal judge has agreed to delay until Feb. 1 the BP fraud case against San Antonio attorney Mikal Watts and six others.
- Burundi implicates respected journalist in failed coup Updated: Nov-25-15 8:19 am
KIGALI, Rwanda - Buurndi's government is seeking to extradite a prominent journalist from Belgium over charges he played a role in a failed coup attempt against the government, the journalist said Wednesday.
- Federal contractor pleads guilty to faking tax returns Updated: Nov-25-15 6:17 am
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - A federal contractor has pleaded guilty to faking his corporate and personal income tax returns for three years.
- Michigan, Fiat Chrysler reach deal on tax credits Updated: Nov-24-15 9:31 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Fiat Chrysler will have to spend an additional $1 billion on Michigan facilities over 15 years to qualify for $1.9 billion in business tax credits under an agreement approved Tuesday by the state's economic development board.
- Opponents ask high court to block Native Hawaiian vote count Updated: Nov-24-15 8:43 pm
HONOLULU - Opponents of an election designed to be a significant step toward Native Hawaiian self-governance are asking the U.S. Supreme Court to block votes from being counted in what they argue is an unconstitutional, racially exclusive process.
- Federal judge sentences man in Jamaican lottery scam Updated: Nov-24-15 7:30 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - A federal judge in North Dakota sentenced a Jamaican man to 20 years in prison on Tuesday for a lottery scam that authorities say cost victims around the country millions of dollars.
- Budget work to continue after whirlwind of finger-pointing Updated: Nov-24-15 7:29 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A two-day whirlwind of accusations, counter-accusations and a threat to override Gov. Tom Wolf's veto of a short-term spending bill yielded no firm assurances Tuesday night that Pennsylvania's five-month budget stalemate would end soon.
- Straub to buy Revel power plant, end litigation Updated: Nov-24-15 6:28 pm
CAMDEN, New Jersey - Developer Glenn Straub, utilities and a bank reached a deal Tuesday that removes a major obstacle to the reopening of Atlantic City's former Revel casino.