- Data: Preventable ER visits cost about $90 million a year Updated: Feb-10-16 12:57 pm
CRANSTON, Rhode Island - A state agency says a new report shows potentially preventable emergency room visits cost Rhode Islanders about $90 million a year.
- Kansas Senate advances bill to decrease Medicaid drug costs Updated: Feb-09-16 6:36 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A bill designed to cut Kansas' costs in providing prescription drugs for poor and disabled residents has received first-round approval in the state Senate.
- FDA panel backs lower-cost version of J&J's top-selling drug Updated: Feb-09-16 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal health advisers on Tuesday endorsed a lower-cost version of Johnson & Johnson's blockbuster Remicade, a pricey biotech medicine used to treat a number of inflammatory diseases.
- UAW adds to unfair labor practices allegations at Volkswagen Updated: Feb-09-16 5:43 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The United Auto Workers alleges that Volkswagen has failed to consult with a newly elected maintenance workers union on a range of issues from vending machine prices to out-of-pocket prescription drug costs despite a union victory at the plant in December.
- CVS meets 4Q profit forecasts, reaffirms 2016 outlook Updated: Feb-09-16 11:47 am
Acquisitions helped CVS Health's fourth-quarter profit climb 13 percent, and leaders of the drugstore operator and pharmacy benefits manager said Tuesday that they expect to reap more gains from their deal making later this year.
- Nebraska fund would clarify financial onus of rape kit exams Updated: Feb-07-16 12:30 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Some Nebraska survivors of sexual assaults mistakenly receive statements for costs of medical exams, despite state and federal law prohibiting it, advocates say.
- Editorials from around New England Updated: Feb-06-16 1:17 pm
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New England newspapers:
- Congress unites in scorn for Shkreli, but gridlock remains Updated: Feb-05-16 2:59 pm
WASHINGTON - A smirking Martin Shkreli briefly united Democrats and Republicans on Capitol Hill this week, as lawmakers took turns blasting the price-hiking former CEO who has become the new poster child for corporate greed.
- Kansas Senate committee passes step therapy legislation Updated: Feb-05-16 11:43 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Senate will consider a bill that would require Medicaid patients to try lower-cost drugs before moving to more expensive treatments.
- Drug exec takes the Fifth on Capitol Hill, angers lawmakers Updated: Feb-04-16 4:51 pm
WASHINGTON - Infuriating members of Congress, a smirking Martin Shkreli took the Fifth at a Capitol Hill hearing Thursday when asked about his jacking up of drug prices, then promptly went on Twitter and insulted his questioners as "imbeciles."
- Drug-price proposal sent to Ohio lawmakers to consider Updated: Feb-04-16 2:28 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A proposal aimed at controlling the price Ohio pays for prescription drugs has been sent to state lawmakers for consideration.
- Drug price transparency bill fails; set for further study Updated: Feb-04-16 11:47 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Legislation to make drug makers reveal how much they spend marketing high-priced drugs has stalled in the Virginia General Assembly, at least for this year.
- Amgen trounces Street views with 39 pct. jump in 4Q profit Updated: Jan-28-16 7:46 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Capping an enviable year, Amgen's fourth-quarter profit soared 39 percent, as the biologic drugmaker posted higher revenue for nearly all its medicines. The company's results trounced analyst expectations for the fifth-straight quarter, and Amgen boosted its 2016 financial forecast.
- FDA OKs Merck hepatitis C drug, adding to patient choices Updated: Jan-28-16 7:32 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Patients with hepatitis C have yet another advanced treatment option, as the Food and Drug Administration on Thursday approved a new once-a-day pill developed by drugmaker Merck.
- Massachusetts is investigating high cost of hepatitis C drug Updated: Jan-27-16 12:07 pm
BOSTON - The Massachusetts attorney general's office said Wednesday that it is investigating whether the makers of a breakthrough treatment for hepatitis C are violating state law by pricing the drugs too high.
- Health care fines press millennials as deadline nears Updated: Jan-26-16 6:08 pm
WASHINGTON - Millions of young adults healthy enough to think they don't need insurance face painful choices this year as the sign-up deadline approaches for President Barack Obama's health care law.
- Lawmakers reschedule hearing to question Martin Shkreli Updated: Jan-25-16 2:11 pm
WASHINGTON - House lawmakers have rescheduled a hearing to question former pharmaceutical CEO Martin Shkreli, reviled for hiking the price of a lifesaving drug, due to the weekend blizzard that has paralyzed travel on the East Coast.
- Many children with Medicaid not getting required dental care Updated: Jan-25-16 12:00 pm
CHICAGO - Three out of four children covered by Medicaid in four states didn't receive all required dental care over a recent two-year period, according to a federal report that recommends a government push to improve access to care.
- Sanders health plan would be far more generous than Medicare Updated: Jan-21-16 12:47 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders calls his plan for a government-run health care system "Medicare for all." But it's not.
- Price-hiking pharma exec Martin Shkreli gets House subpoena Updated: Jan-20-16 6:00 pm
WASHINGTON - House lawmakers have issued a subpoena to compel former Turing Pharmaceuticals CEO Martin Shkreli, reviled for price-gouging, to appear at a congressional hearing next Tuesday.
- Gov. Scott's Commission on Health Care issues observations Updated: Jan-19-16 6:54 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida Gov. Rick Scott's Commission on Health Care and Hospital Funding released its long-awaited draft observations Tuesday, citing a lack of transparency and cost controls as major issues needing action.
- Suns guard Ronnie Price has surgery on right big toe Updated: Jan-15-16 6:28 pm
PHOENIX - Phoenix Suns guard Ronnie Price had surgery Friday on his right big toe.