- Jon Gruden worries about present, future of youth sports Updated: Jul-28-15 12:27 pm
NEW YORK - Jon Gruden looks at the present and predicted future of youth sports. It makes him cringe.
- Correction: Smoltz-Tommy John Surgery story Updated: Jul-27-15 10:15 pm
In a story July 2 about John Smoltz's induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame, The Associated Press reported erroneously that he would be the first player enshrined into the Hall following Tommy John surgery. Smoltz is the first pitcher to enter the Hall who had the operation.
- Former treasurer sentenced for embezzling from youth league Updated: Jul-27-15 11:23 am
FLEMINGTON, New Jersey - The former treasurer of a New Jersey youth sports league has been sentenced to jail for embezzling more than $100,000.
- Sherri Coale headlines women's basketball hall class of 2016 Updated: Jul-25-15 5:55 pm
UNCASVILLE, Connecticut - Oklahoma coach Sherri Coale said it was a surreal moment when she got the phone call that she would be part of the women's basketball Hall of Fame.
- Xu takes 1st step toward career in the major leagues Updated: Jul-23-15 9:42 am
BEIJING - The hardest part of Xu Guiyan's decision to sign a contract with the Baltimore Orioles organization was keeping the groundbreaking deal a secret.
- Woman pleads no contest to embezzling from football league Updated: Jul-17-15 9:07 am
HILO, Hawaii - A 55-year-old Waimea woman has pleaded no contest to embezzling almost $100,000 from the Big Island Pop Warner Football Conference.
- Former youth coach sentenced to prison for child porn Updated: Jul-17-15 8:58 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - A man who had spent years a volunteer youth sports coach in West Des Moines has been sentenced to eight years in federal prison for having more than 100 images of child pornography.
- Former Casper youth sports director gets probation Updated: Jul-15-15 9:25 am
CASPER, Wyoming - A former director of the Wyoming Youth Sports Association who has been accused of stealing more than $13,000 from the organization has been sentenced to probation.
- New study banning headers only part of stopping concussions Updated: Jul-14-15 9:03 am
AURORA, Colorado - A group of scientists checked a decade's worth of data about what causes concussions in high school soccer. Their conclusion: While a ban on heading would help decrease head injuries, what the game really needs is better enforcement of rules restricting all sorts of player-to-player contact.
- Reds' Todd Frazier wins All-Star Derby in home park Updated: Jul-13-15 11:37 pm
CINCINNATI - "The Toddfather" has a new title. Todd Frazier - Little League World Series star, Frank Sinatra aficionado - is baseball's new King of Swing.
- Rough play is riskier than heading in youth soccer: Study Updated: Jul-13-15 1:46 pm
CHICAGO - Heading takes the heat in youth soccer, but limiting rough play might be a better way to prevent concussions and other injuries, a nine-year study of U.S. high school games suggests.
- Former players, colleagues salute Summitt at charity event Updated: Jul-11-15 10:02 pm
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - Pat Summitt's former players and colleagues say her fight against Alzheimer's disease could leave an even greater legacy than any of the former Tennessee women's basketball coach's championships or records.
- Seahawks player and RI native to host youth football camp Updated: Jul-11-15 10:29 am
WARWICK, Rhode Island - Seattle Seahawks cornerback and Rhode Island native Will Blackmon is hosting a free one-day football camp for youth.
- Kodiak boy qualifies for national tourney Updated: Jul-10-15 7:45 pm
KODIAK, Alaska - Dustin Swearingin was not pleased when his mom signed him up to compete for a spot at the Junior Gold Championships - the biggest youth bowling tournament in the nation.
- NYC girls who play soccer treated to a parade watch party Updated: Jul-10-15 8:00 am
NEW YORK - Girls who play soccer are being treated to a watch party overlooking the Women's World Cup parade route in Lower Manhattan.
- Ex-Maine woman gets 18 months in prison for embezzlement Updated: Jul-10-15 5:25 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - A former Maine woman has been sentenced to a year and a half in prison for embezzling more than $10,000 from two youth sports organizations, and stealing state welfare benefits.
- Little League coach accused of stealing $4,500 from team Updated: Jul-09-15 6:16 am
FOREST GROVE, Oregon - A former president of Forest Grove Little League Softball has turned himself in after learning there was probably cause for his arrest in connection to funds that went missing from the team.
- 'Warning stroke' forces coach to walk away from basketball Updated: Jul-06-15 1:44 pm
NEENAH, Wisconsin - This wasn't the path Scott Bork envisioned for himself when he was named the Neenah boys basketball coach three summers ago.
- Hall of Famer visits Connecticut cities to promote league Updated: Jul-05-15 9:28 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Baseball Hall of Famer Cal Ripken Jr. plans to visit two Connecticut cities where his foundation is helping keep bring youth baseball to kids who would not otherwise get a chance to play.
- Framingham man pleads not guilty to embezzling soccer club Updated: Jul-03-15 8:05 am
FRAMINGHAM, Massachusetts - The former volunteer treasurer of a Framingham youth soccer league has pleaded not guilty to embezzling more than $200,000 from the nonprofit and the real estate management firm where he worked.
- Little League disallows use of yellow ball for albino boy Updated: Jul-02-15 12:06 pm
GROSSE POINTE WOODS, Michigan - A 13-year-old Detroit area boy with a visual impairment due to albinism has been denied the use of an easier-to-see baseball during a national Little League tournament.
- Bayview Yacht Club celebrates 100th anniversary Updated: Jul-02-15 4:12 am
DETROIT - The reason sailors join Bayview Yacht Club differs for each member.
- Women's soccer fever grips England in historic World Cup run Updated: Jun-30-15 12:48 pm
MANCHESTER, England - The movie "Bend It Like Beckham" first got Kiera Burke interested in soccer. During the 2012 Olympics, she went to Manchester United's Old Trafford stadium to watch the women's teams from United States and Canada play a thrilling semifinal.
- Pronger, Lidstrom, Fedorov, Ruggiero among Hockey Hall picks Updated: Jun-29-15 7:30 pm
TORONTO - Chris Pronger always seemed destined for the Hockey Hall of Fame.