- Syphilis cases on rise in southeast Wyoming Updated: Apr-29-16 12:57 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - The Wyoming Department of Health reports an alarming increase in reported syphilis cases in southeast Wyoming.
- Want Viagra? SC bill requiring 24-hour wait on House floor Updated: Apr-27-16 12:30 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A lawmaker's symbolic proposal to make it almost as hard to get Viagra and other erectile dysfunction drugs in South Carolina as it is to get an abortion has made it to the floor of the Republican and male-dominated House.
- Doulas help pregnant inmates give birth, say goodbye Updated: Apr-25-16 1:29 pm
WETUMPKA, Alabama - Harley Ezelle gently rocked back and forth on a yoga ball in a meeting room at Tutwiler Prison as the woman next to her helped set her legs for maximum balance.
- NY: Insurers must pay for maternal depression screening Updated: Apr-25-16 10:46 am
ALBANY, New York - New York state will soon require health insurers to cover depression screening for pregnant women and new mothers.
- AIDS Healthcare Foundation sues LA over planned high-rise Updated: Apr-22-16 3:13 pm
LOS ANGELES - The AIDS Healthcare Foundation, better known for its efforts to put condoms on pornography actors, is suing Los Angeles to stop a high-rise development that would go next door to its Hollywood headquarters.
- Tampon-tax repeal, birth control access bills get initial OK Updated: Apr-21-16 6:33 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois lawmakers are advancing proposals that would make feminine hygiene products and contraception more affordable for women.
- Missouri House advances bill to expand birth control access Updated: Apr-20-16 7:33 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - The GOP-led Missouri House is advancing a measure to make it easier for women to get birth control.
- Want Viagra? Come back tomorrow with a note, lawmaker says Updated: Apr-20-16 6:16 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - If women have to wait 24 hours in South Carolina to get an abortion, men should have to do the same before they can get Viagra or other drugs to help them have sex, according to a tongue-in-cheek proposal discussed Wednesday.
- Little help for survivors of Central African Republic abuses Updated: Apr-20-16 3:18 pm
BANGUI, Central African Republic - The peacekeepers motioned to the teenage girl weaving through the sprawling camp in the baking afternoon sun selling bananas from a plate atop her head. Soon their real intentions were clear: They yanked her inside their tent and began unbuttoning their pants.
- Better preemie pain relief sought amid new call for action Updated: Apr-20-16 12:59 pm
OAK LAWN, Illinois - It happens every day to the most vulnerable infants in hospital intensive care units: fragile babies born way too soon are poked, prodded and jabbed as part of medical care meant to help them survive - and it can be heart-wrenching to watch.
- Lawsuit alleges abuse in county jail caused miscarriage Updated: Apr-19-16 11:52 am
CHARLESTON, Missouri - A former inmate at the Mississippi County Detention Center filed a lawsuit claiming she was abused while pregnant and that abuse caused her to miscarry in December 2014.
- Still many questions about Zika's threat to pregnant women Updated: Apr-18-16 10:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Zika may stand convicted of causing devastating birth defects but there still are lots of questions about how much of a threat the virus poses to pregnant women, and what to do about it.
- Health official: Zika not worry now for pregnant women in US Updated: Apr-17-16 2:52 pm
WASHINGTON - A top public health official says there's been no local transmission of the Zika (ZEE'-kuh) virus in the United States, so any talk about women in the country delaying pregnancy "is not even an issue for discussion at this point."
- 3 Canadian families sue US sperm bank over sperm donor Updated: Apr-15-16 11:44 am
TORONTO - Three Ontario families are suing a U.S.-based sperm bank and its Canadian distributor, alleging they were misled about a donor's medical and social history, which included a criminal record and significant mental illness.
- CDC: Zika definitely causes severe birth defects Updated: Apr-13-16 8:02 pm
NEW YORK - Confirming the worst fears of many pregnant women in the United States and Latin America, U.S. health officials said Wednesday there is no longer any doubt the Zika virus causes babies to be born with abnormally small heads and other severe brain defects.
- Syphilis, chlamydia down in North Dakota; gonorrhea flat Updated: Apr-13-16 7:20 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - North Dakota's Health Department says cases of some sexually transmitted diseases are on the decline in the state.
- Hawaii lawmakers pass bills on smoking, drugs, birth control Updated: Apr-13-16 12:04 am
HONOLULU - The Hawaii Legislature passed hundreds of bills ahead of a major deadline, making decisions on a variety of issues including smoking in cars and drug overdoses. They also passed bills to pay for air conditioning Hawaii's public schools, allow women to get up to a year of birth control at a time and criminalize trespassing on state lands.
- Rubber brain, birth control pills, keg among NJ beach trash Updated: Apr-12-16 12:06 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - A sweep of New Jersey beaches last year turned up the usual seashells, sandcastles and seaweed. But, plenty of not-so-typical beach items popped up, too, including a keg, birth control pills and a rubber brain.
- Agency: STD diagnoses hit all-time high in Minnesota in 2015 Updated: Apr-11-16 10:29 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The Minnesota Department of Health says there was an all-time high in the number of sexually transmitted diseases diagnosed in the state last year.
- Birth control coverage bill dies in state Senate committee Updated: Apr-11-16 5:32 pm
DENVER - A bill intended to expand women's access to no-cost birth control options under the Affordable Care Act has failed in a state Senate committee.
- US officials: The more we learn about Zika, scarier it is Updated: Apr-11-16 4:43 pm
WASHINGTON - The more researchers learn about the Zika virus, the scarier it appears, federal health officials said Monday as they urged more money for mosquito control and to develop vaccines and treatments.
- Maine to get $6M to help expand home visits for moms, kids Updated: Apr-10-16 8:33 am
PORTLAND, Maine - The federal Health Resources and Services Administration is giving nearly $6 million to Maine in support of home visits for mothers and infants.
- Women in California can get birth control from a pharmacist Updated: Apr-09-16 2:54 pm
SAN JOSE, California - Women in California can now get birth control directly from a pharmacist without a prescription from their doctor.
- Hawaii mulls exempting breastfeeding mothers from jury duty Updated: Apr-08-16 10:52 pm
HONOLULU - Marybeth Baldwin said she worried about how she'd be able to breastfeed her baby after being summoned for jury duty.
- NYC teacher who poisoned, drowned her 2 kids is convicted Updated: Apr-08-16 1:46 pm
NEW YORK - A New York City teacher who poisoned her two young children with windshield wiper fluid and then drowned them has been convicted of manslaughter.