- More than 350 people evacuated as Lake Chelan wildfire grows Updated: Aug-01-15 4:40 pm
LUCERNE, Washington - Several hundred people were evacuated near Lake Chelan in northwest Washington as an area wildfire grew to more than 6 square miles overnight.
- University seeks to help students provide disaster relief Updated: Aug-01-15 3:40 pm
WORCESTER, Massachusetts - A Massachusetts university is considering starting a permanent fund to help students provide relief work at disaster sites around the world.
- Presidential disaster signed for Iowa June storm damage Updated: Jul-31-15 5:19 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Nineteen Iowa counties will be getting federal help in their recovery from severe storms last month that delivered high wind, tornadoes, heavy rain, hail and thunderstorms
- President Obama signs disaster declaration for Vermont Updated: Jul-31-15 9:19 am
BURLINGTON, Vermont - President Barack Obama has signed a disaster declaration that will make federal funds available to Vermont for storm recovery.
- Disaster declared for 12 South Dakota counties, 3 tribes Updated: Jul-31-15 6:24 am
PIERRE, South Dakota - President Barack Obama has declared a disaster for 12 South Dakota counties and three American Indian reservations that suffered damage during severe storms in late June.
- Federal disaster aid helping to rebuild Arkansas communities Updated: Jul-31-15 3:16 am
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Federal officials say more than $6 million in disaster assistance will help fund local governments' storm recovery efforts following this spring's severe weather in Arkansas.
- USGS awards $4M to boost earthquake early warning systems Updated: Jul-30-15 9:01 pm
SEATTLE - The U.S. Geological Survey has awarded $4 million to four universities in the Pacific Northwest and California to boost the development of earthquake early warning systems.
- Feds won't reverse denial of Baltimore riot disaster aid Updated: Jul-30-15 3:00 pm
The Federal Emergency Management Agency has refused to reverse its denial of disaster aid to help Maryland and Baltimore recover millions of dollars in costs stemming from rioting in the city in April, Gov. Larry Hogan's office said Thursday.
- Deadline to file for disaster unemployment assistance nears Updated: Jul-30-15 11:43 am
OKLAHOMA CITY - Workers in nine Oklahoma counties have one week left to file for disaster unemployment assistance.
- Officials say no US help for central Vermont flooding damage Updated: Jul-30-15 4:04 am
WATERBURY, Vermont - Vermont emergency management officials say the damage from flooding in central Vermont earlier this month did not cause enough damage to qualify for federal disaster assistance.
- Federal disaster assistance denied for 19 Oklahoma counties Updated: Jul-29-15 6:34 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Gov. Mary Fallin says the federal government has rejected the state's request for disaster assistance for 19 Oklahoma counties affected by severe weather, flooding and tornadoes in May and June.
- 12 Kentucky counties added to February storm eligibility Updated: Jul-29-15 4:10 am
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Twelve Kentucky counties have been added to those in which private, nonprofit organizations are eligible to seek disaster loans for damages from severe weather in February.
- Vermont getting $6.7M Homeland Security preparedness grants Updated: Jul-29-15 3:36 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The state of Vermont is going to be getting $6.7 million in federal grants to be ready to respond to natural disasters or acts of terrorism.
- Regional disaster response effort has roots in Minot flood Updated: Jul-28-15 7:48 am
MINOT, North Dakota - A faith-based effort to provide housing and equipment for recovery volunteers in Minot after the 2011 Souris River flood is transforming into a regional disaster response organization.
- Disaster loan center opening in Paducah for July flooding Updated: Jul-28-15 4:05 am
PADUCAH, Kentucky - Businesses and residents affected by flash flooding earlier this month in the Paducah area can apply for low-interest Small Business Administration loans.
- Recovery efforts continue from May flooding in Central Texas Updated: Jul-27-15 10:02 am
SAN MARCOS, Texas - Pastor Todd Salmi's sermon Sunday was on the book of Nehemiah and the rebuilding of Jerusalem. With the Memorial Day weekend floods that damaged or destroyed more than 2,200 homes in this area still at the top of most people's minds, it was only natural that he'd segue to the ongoing recovery efforts.
- Family of 5 rescued from flooded Missouri roadway Updated: Jul-27-15 7:53 am
PALMYRA, Missouri - Authorities say three fishermen rescued a St. Louis area family after the driver of their vehicle got caught in a flooded roadway in northeast Missouri.
- Indiana school gets $1.6M grant for tornado safe-room Updated: Jul-27-15 4:07 am
SALEM, Indiana - Federal officials have awarded a southern Indiana school district $1.6 million to build a tornado safe-room at an elementary school.
- Cataloging animals, plants in preparation for an oil spill Updated: Jul-26-15 11:18 am
BRICK, New Jersey - An effort inspired by the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico to catalog marine, animal and plant life along the Jersey shore and its industrial waterways is increasing knowledge of exactly what is in the water - information that could be crucial to restoring habitats and assessing penalties after any serious oil spill.
- Flooding closes Anchorage streets, forces evacuation Updated: Jul-26-15 9:49 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Flash flooding has shut down Anchorage streets, stranded cars and forced the evacuation of an apartment building.
- FEMA says disaster aid registration deadline 1 month away Updated: Jul-24-15 1:49 pm
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The Federal Emergency Management Agency says residents of nine Arkansas counties have just one month left to register for disaster assistance for damage from severe storms in May and June.
- Atlantic City Electric's storm response criticized Updated: Jul-24-15 7:02 am
NEWARK, New Jersey - State regulators are criticizing Atlantic City Electric's response to a June storm that left nearly 280,000 of its customers without service for days.
- Illinois governor seeks federal flood relief for crops Updated: Jul-24-15 4:08 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner has requested federal flood relief for all counties in Illinois experiencing crop damage.
- Some evacuations called off in Northern California fire Updated: Jul-23-15 11:49 pm
WINTERS, California - Firefighters stunted the growth of a wildfire burning near Northern California's Napa Valley wine country as evacuated residents from some of the 200 threatened homes were allowed to return home Thursday night.
- Evacuation orders lifted for wildfire near Townsend Updated: Jul-23-15 11:18 pm
HELENA, Montana - Authorities have lifted the evacuation order for about 40 homes east of Townsend that had been threatened by a wildfire.